• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what can sony do to counteract the 360 gta4 dlc exclusive?

mabuza

Banned
ok so we all know microsoft is banking on the gta dlc to move some serious consoles in april. but fortunately for sony the game is also coming to the ps3.
so i was thinking, what can sony do to make sure a consumer picks the ps3 instead of the 360?
personally i think sony should use the ps2 userbase to its advantage. there are millions of ps2 owners who bought the console specifically for gta who are yet to move to next gen. i think they can do a promotion whereby any ps2 owners with san andreas can exchange their ps2 for a ps3 for 299. this promotion can run for a limited time say two months.
the advantage of this is that it allows them to do a temporary price cut and also steal some potential 360 buyers.
just my two cents.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I don't think the DLC is as significant as people are making it out to be, and thus, I don't believe it will be quite the console-seller that people think it is. Moreover, I think there is little that Sony needs to "counteract."

I do GTA will help sell consoles, but not because it has DLC. I think its fairly irrelevant actually.

mabuza

Banned
trust me the ms marketing marketing machine will make sure they know. and they're pretty good. its also not just the dlc, but i think ms will be cutting the price and market gta4 plus the dlc. kinda like how they did last year for madden.

It's DLC ($$), even if they market the shit out of it, it still remains DLC. It's not like the game is exclusive or like twice as awesome as the ps3 version

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
But they already have.

mgs4-bundle-ps3.jpg

Why else announce the bundle so far in advance?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It's not really a big deal in the gran scheme of things. It's not like every GTA player out there dies to buy DLC. I think the majority dont even care actually.

mabuza said:
trust me the ms marketing marketing machine will make sure they know. and they're pretty good. its also not just the dlc, but i think ms will be cutting the price and market gta4 plus the dlc. kinda like how they did last year for madden.

only the bolded part actually works.

normal people don't care, don't know and simply can't be bothered.

however i guess the dlc will cause some gamestop people to say its the best version :lol you've got your + in sales right there.

Rayne.S

Banned
PantherLotus said:
I don't think the DLC is as significant as people are making it out to be, and thus, I don't believe it will be quite the console-seller that people think it is. Moreover, I think there is little that Sony needs to "counteract."

I do GTA will help sell consoles, but not because it has DLC. I think its fairly irrelevant actually.

What if the Microsoft deal is actually only for the content being "downloadable" ? What if disc-based versions do not cover the exclusivity ?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
rs7k said:
Wait, there's a MGS4 bundle for the PS3? Coming stateside I hope?
You missed the megaton?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
rs7k said:
Wait, there's a MGS4 bundle for the PS3? Coming stateside I hope?

Where the heck have you been? :lol

MGS4 bundle, USA, June 12th, $499, 80GB, MGS4 and DualShock 3 rumble.

JoJo13

Banned
Euphor!a said:
I assume LA Noir and the untitled Rockstar exclusive is their way of "counteracting" it.
Not just counter, but its a hell of a lot better than some DLC that some people can't even access.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Russtic said:
They bought all the side stories didnt they?

I wouldnt call them side stories, but yes, GTA sells a lot.
DLC? Don't think will have that big of an impact on GTAIV sales.

mabuza

Banned
the only trouble is outside of gta, rockstar's other projects have come no where near the popularity of gta. i'm sure these exclusive games will be good but come on now.

Russtic

Banned
TTP said:

So 'potential' is no longer a good selling point?

OverHeat

« generous god »
You are all posting PS3 bundles ( MGS4 and GT prologue)
But what if MS is releasing a GTA bundle?

TTP said:

Not sure I'd pay for DLC when I've yet to complete all of the content from previous GTA's. The price of the DLC will determine if it'll will do well imo.

Top Bottom