• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what color socks? A fashion advice thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoneM

We all know that you just don't wear white socks with leather shoes. So, what color of socks can you get away with?

Can you wear grey socks, with brown leather shoes, and jeans? or can you wear dark brown socks with that? What about when you're wearing khakis? Is there some sort of guide for this stuff?

I ask since the only pairs of shoes I own are leather, one is light brown, the other dark brown and the 3rd black. I know to wear black sock with black shoes. but what can I get away with when wearing my other pairs of shoes?

Mugen

Banned
You get away with preety much everything with black socks.

:lol White socks on leather shoes, those were the days. Then I realized, white socks are mainly for rubbershoes.

Crispy

I used to wear white socks until everyone started to bitch about it. Finally I caved in and now I wear black socks....damn you society!!

Inumaru

Prints and argyles aside, you generally want to match your sock color to your pants/slacks. Tan socks with tan slacks, grey or black with black slacks, navy with navy, etc.

All I have are black socks to go with my black Kenneth Cole dress shoes for work...works fine for me, regardless of pants color or style.

I'm wearing white socks with black leather shoes right now.

I feel like Michael Jackson.

HEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Hide your children.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
Black/other single colour designer socks are a good buy.
They have a little logo on the sides and are always well made and to a high level of comfort.
Armani does four pairs for £20 with embroidered logos in the UK.

just don't wear white socks with your business/casual wear and you're fine. For those that are ultra picky, match your belt color with the socks. Most ridiculous I ever heard, yet I do it for the business wear.

Seth C

According to the girlfriend, you shoul first match your socks to your pants, but failing that, match them to your shoes. The general idea is that, when your pant leg comes up, you don't want your sock to stand out.

hobart

WasabiKing said:
just don't wear white socks with your business/casual wear and you're fine. For those that are ultra picky, match your belt color with the socks. Most ridiculous I ever heard, yet I do it for the business wear.

Close. Belt should ALWAYS match your shoes when in business/dress attire.

White socks is a tricky pull with any type of dress/dress casual shoe. The point is to really pick your spots. Firstly, are the shoes you are wearing meant for business wear (i.e. you wouldn't wear these shoes with a suit)? Generally, if the shoes are meant for business wear they are not even MADE for heavy white cotton socks (in other words, the thickness of the sock will actually cause the leather to expand and thusly ruin the shoe). I'm assuming the the type of shoes we are talking about are dress casual... which of course... goes with just about anything (shorts... God no). If we are looking at dress casual I would recommend black shoes with black socks. Stay away from navy socks in this instance because the "similarity" between the two colors causes and odd mix... in other words... you can see precisely how NOT made for each other they are. If you have brown shoes I've been able to be a ton more versatile... navy is a killer look especially if you are wearing a lot of darker blue... black is my standard... and brown of course, but you need to be careful of the shades of brown. Remember... if they are only slightly similar (ala navy and black) you will have a problem.

Seriously though.. you can tell when looking in the mirror whether or not you are "feeling" the right color combos. I've always kept a high stock in black socks because of their versatility (which I've also worn with sneakers... but... you need to be extra saavy to pull that off). Stick with black (Gold Toe are my favorite) and you should be just fine.

Another thing... for those EXTRA careful about their shoes. Purchase shoe trees. Seriously.. they really work. When you spend upwards of $200 on your shoes you will want them to retain their natural state well after 6 months of buying them.

Socreges

Banned
I've worn a suit for the past four days with leather shoes. Been alternating between black and green socks. A couple times I was heading out the door, only to realize that my socks were white. So, for fear of being reprimanded, I went back to my room and changed. Blah.

Crispy said:
I used to wear white socks until everyone started to bitch about it. Finally I caved in and now I wear black socks....damn you society!!
Hah, same. I still wear white socks informally, but no one will let me get away with them when I'm wearing leather shoes. This one time I was a supervisor over an inventory at a Tommy Hilfigger store. The manager was flagrantly gay, and about 2 minutes after meeting him, he pointed out that I was wearing white socks. This was before 7am. I was not pleased, so I said "Ooooh, didn't know the fashion police were here today". That was probably not the brightest thing to say to an employer, especially since he didn't take it lightly, but no regrets!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom