• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What developer/publisher has fallen the furthest from grace?

daTRUballin

In your opinion, what developer/publisher has fallen the furthest from their "glory days"? What game companies out there used to hold your interest in their game releases but have fallen off your radar at some point?

I'd also like to note that we should probably refrain from naming developers or publishers that have been shut down. This thread is mainly about formerly great companies who still exist but are now shells of their former selves or make subpar games now. So in this case, naming companies that literally don't exist anymore wouldn't make much sense. But if you really want to, I suppose you can. Let this be a thread where we appreciate companies we used to love.

I think this thread could be interesting. Discuss.

Also, you might want to have some tissues somewhere near you just in case. This could turn out to be a depressing thread!

Jackpot

Banned
Hello Games - No Man's Sky

Konami is a joke of a company.

GRIN burnt itself out pretty spectacularly but none of their games were that good to begin with.

Cartho

Bioware.

Compared to the truly majestic experiences they used to offer, which had superb stories and well crafted plots. Now modern bioware games are open world because duh, have boring, meaningless sidequests and hugely dumbed down RPG systems compared to their predecessors.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Rare, no question. From 1994-2000 they were the best developer on the planet, only Nintendo could touch them. It seemed like they released an all time classic every 6-9 months

JayEH

Bioware hasn't been the same since the one two combo of DA: Origins and ME2.

Capcom isn't total shit now but they're not what they used to be. They only make sequels to their biggest franchises and even those are missing sales targets.

Tiu Neo

I'll go with the easy one and say Konami.

Still, Bomberman R gives me a tiny bit of hope that they can, somehow, come back. Maybe not to their glory days, but to at least making fun games.

jacobeid

Banned
Rocksteady sure went downhill from Arkham Asylum to Arkham Knight. They're going to have to sell me hard on their next game because I don't have much confidence in their abilities at this point.

MrS

Banned
Bethesda/Zenimax - Fallout 4 was awful, Prey is woeful, their policy on no reviews before launch is a scandal

If they didn't own id I wouldn't buy another game from them.

Madness

BioWare, Capcom, Rare, Infinity Ward was gutted and most left to form Respawn and whatever was left of IW has been trash in terms of output, Konami etc.

Edit: Also EA Sports. Just my opinion.

Gestault

In terms of a before-and-after, I think there's a strong case for Hello Games with No Man's Sky. A lot of people I know personally experienced a legitimate personal renaissance in terms of their interest in games in the leadup to its release. Then it was released. That disappointment and the frustration after was potent.

In terms of its own legacy, and backlash from both fans AND staff, Konami is definitely the one to beat.

Jawmuncher

Because of this bit right here I think I can go with my pick of CAPCOM.
What game companies out there used to hold your interest in their game releases but have fallen off your radar at some point?

While they aren't in such a terrible place like Konami. Their output thus far for me has been lacking greatly. Some of it is personal taste, but things are a far cry from the PS2 days and even last gen to an extent. The most fun I have had with capcom games this gen have been re-releases of their older games. Really hoping this year we start seeing a turn around. MVCI might help me back on board depending on the roster and i'm curious to see what they have cooking. With RE7 releasing this year, seems they will finally be on track to release games regularly after that long period of basically nothing.

painey

Ocean_Software_logo.png

MrS

Banned
In terms of a before-and-after, I think there's a strong case for Hello Games with No Man's Sky. A considerable number of people experienced a legitimate personal renaissance in terms of their interest in games in the leadup to its release. Then it was released. That disappointment and the frustration after was potent.
Hello Games never had a good reputation to destroy.

I don't think there is any recovery for Konami in the publisher/mega Dev side.

For a smaller dev, many above said rare and it's spot on. They went from creating some of the most iconic and popular games in a generation to this forgettable developer.

Gestault

Hello Games never had a good reputation to destroy.

Specifically the time between the NMS reveal and its release, they were incredibly high-profile. The original pitch and marketing got a lot of people excited, even people who weren't actively gaming at the time.

ActWan

Konami.
Such a huge fall, and it was pretty gradual too. First Castlevania, then Silent Hill, and finally Metal Gear and any hope that remained for Silent Hill...
Atari too have taken quite a fall.

Cartho

Ubisoft. An utter darling in the PC space back in 00's, now pumping out annualized, awkward dredge for the AAA market.

Like Child of Light, Rainbow 6 Siege, For Honour, Grow Home, South Park Stick of Truth, The Division (which is good fun if you're in to "looter shooters"), Ghost Recon Wildlands (which is actually excellent fun with friends), Watch Dogs and much more?

Assassin's Creed is one of their only major "annualised" franchises and both Far Cry 3 and 4 were excellent games.

Zukkoyaki

One could also make a strong argument for Square Enix's Japanese development. They were among the most elite and trustworthy brands in gaming in the mid-late 90's and now release mostly just alright at best games. Nearly every good game Square has relased in like 6-7 years was developed by one of their western studios or a third party.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Konami came to mind just by reading the topic title and as I can see, it's been said multiple times already.

Fuck Konami.

Squaresoft/Square Enix and Rare. In the 90's (into early 00's with SE) these were 2 of my top 3 developers and now they have fallen hard. I'm talking specifically about SE as a developer here, they still do some good publishing work. But their best games are really just OK now, nothing great. Rare has probably fallen farther than SE's mediocre games, but SE was ahead of Rare for me back in the day.

One could also make a strong argument for Square Enix's Japanese development. They were among the most elite and trustworthy brands in gaming in the mid-late 90's and now release mostly just alright at best games. Nearly every good game Square has relased in like 6-7 years was developed by one of their western studios or a third party.

Yeah this. Surprised there aren't more of this opinion. Square was god tier back in the day. Now mediocre at best.

Top Bottom