• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect from Smash on the Switch? What do you want?

Griss

(First of all, please no roster lists. Those kinds of threads quickly become tedious.)

So it seems clear that the first calendar year of Switch will come and go without a port of Smash 4 unless Nintendo was holding back a major surprise at e3, which feels unlikely. This game had been rumoured to exist for a long time, with the usually reliable Dr. Serkan Toto tweeting the following back in January 2016:

nbdOOwp.png

The point of the Wii U ports (Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokken, Lego City Undercover etc) was to get a decent software library up and running in Switch's first year - and it has been a great success without which I feel the console would have failed. Yet there's no sign of Smash, and a Wii U port arriving in the 2nd year would feel lame, delayed, too late. Smash 4 will be 4 years old next September, after all.

On the other side of the coin, the point of the ports was also to recycle expensive games that didn't have a large enough audience on Wii U to justify them in the end. But that's not the case for Smash 4 as it sold a ton on 3DS. It's not as imperative for them to port this game as it might have been for Mario Kart 8 - most Nintendo fans had a 3DS if not a Wii U. Most Nintendo fans probably already bought and played this game in some form. So between no port appearing so far and the rationale for the port not being as strong I feel like the assumption that a port is coming has been thrown into considerable doubt.

So at this point, there seems like multiple options.
Option 1: Straight port of Smash 4 - This is what many of us expected this year. Maybe you get HD versions of all the 3DS stages. Maybe there's an extra character thrown in. But it's a port, and 99% of it is the same. Perhaps you expect a surprise annoucement this year, and for it to slot in as Nintendo's black friday game. Or maybe you expect it at that slot next year. It'll be a 4 year old game by then. Perhaps Nintendo uses e-sports to try and energise the fans, but most of us have played this one to death by now.

Option 2: Added content to make it Smash 5 - I think this is now a real possibility. They take the Smash 4 engine - the core game - but add enough characters, stages and new modes that they can legitimately call it Smash 5. Say 10+ characters and 10+ stages, plus a reworked single player mode and better netcode. The gameplay is the same, most characters are the same, but it's called a sequel, not a port.

Option 3: Smash 5 built from the ground up - They dump the Smash 4 engine and build an entirely new game with new core gameplay, as they have done for each Smash game so far. This would take an exceptionally long time and be a lot of work. They would have need to have started this years ago after Smash 4 released.

So my question to you is:
a) What do you expect Nintendo to do, and
b) What do you want Nintendo to do?

If you've got evidence of whatever rumours or what have you then fire away.

As for me, I'm afraid to say but I still expect option 1 - a simple port - and for it to arrive for holiday 2018. What I'd want is option 3 for holiday 2019 or later if needs be. I have no interest in playing more Smash 4, even with new characters or stages. In fact, the bigger the roster gets the less I enjoy it, so I'd love to see a reboot with a far smaller roster. I understand that goes against the fanservice wishes of the hardcore smash fans, though. But I know from playing with casual gamers in my family that being faced with a large roster with 75% characters they don't recognise vs a smaller one where they know 50%+... the bigger roster does not make it more appealing, and I feel the same. There just aren't any more characters left that are appealing enough to the casual gamer that their inclusion into the game would make it better rather than worse imo. I'd rather see work go into the modes and stages themselves, some of which were desperately poor in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh I'd be happy with a straight Wii U version port with some additional deluxe add-ons or whatever (mk8 situation).

It feels way too early for Smash 5 already.

aBarreras

Tbh I'd be happy with a straight Wii U port with some additional deluxe add-ons or whatever.

i feel that it will be smash 4.5, i mean the game probably wont be a 2017 title, so i cant see them just releasing a smash 4 straight port in 2018

I'd rather them wait and introduce some mechanical changes over Smash 4. They can use the same base and models, but I'd be VERY disappointed if it was just a Smash 4 Deluxe

Nesther

A reduced price for those upgrading from Wii U OR 3DS digital to Switch digital.

That'd be cool, but MK8D didn't do that either :(

I'm expecting nothing more than a version with all Wii U and 3DS content with a slight roster upgrade.

What I'd want is a proper adventure mode, like Brawl had.

If they make a full Smash 5 we're likely 3-4 years away from seeing it. I'd rather see a Smash Switch that upgrades everything from Wii U and get it earlier. It adds in a few more characters (Ice Climbers, Inkling), maps, and modes, includes all the DLC, fixes up the menus a bit, adds in more trophies and challenges, etc. Use Wii U as a template and add in as much content as they can with a 2018 release window.

At this point I'm expecting all of the 3DS stages, along with some extra content (characters/stages/modes). Maybe not enough to justify calling it Smash 5, but I'd bet on the title being Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch. Basically a nice deluxe version.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Assuming 3DS is "Smash 4" and Wii U is "Smash 5", I want "Smash 6" on the Switch.

No porting, no deluxe version, none of that. Give us a top-down new game.

TreIII

Tbh I'd be happy with a straight Wii U port with some additional deluxe add-ons or whatever.

Yeah, this.

Gimme all of the stages from the 3DS version, plus Smash Run.

Then from there, I'll just quote my old guess from the contest topic:

Eh, what the hell! I'm going to be ambitious and think

Everyone from Smash 4 Wii U/3DS (DLC Included) + 4 additional characters

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Inkling
Custom Robo character

Tiebreaker: Potential New Stages
New - Splatoon Stage
New - Custom Robo Stage
Returning from Melee - Poke Floats

Though, in light of Bomberman, I probably would choose him as the final guest character to rep Konami.

(Sorry, Jaw...)

Peltz

I think I expect a highly enhanced port of the Wii U version in 2018 including all of the content from the 3DS version of the game, plus some new modes and a reworked singleplayer component.

As far as characters are concerned, obviously, all of the DLC to this point will be included. And maybe they'll throw in a few more recent characters from ARMS and Splatoon along with 1 or 2 other surprises. Overall, I'd expect somewhere around 3-5 new characters in port.

Anura

I expect a Smash 4 port and disappointment. Maybe a character or two that aren't the Ice Climbers.

I want the Ice Climbers and a Melee-like mode/gameplay

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tbh I'd be happy with a straight Wii U version port with some additional deluxe add-ons or whatever (mk8 situation).

Smash is fucked cause it's not ready yet. It feels too soon for a new game, but by time the game comes out many will be saying it's been to long for a port.

Maybe Smash 4.5 Wii U/3DS/DLC remix would be enough.

Also you have to understand what we get is what we get. Much like Kart you don't get two entries in the Smash series on the same console.

At this point I think a straight port of Smash 4 is too little, too late. It would've worked as a launch title, but now I feel like they should just say "screw that" and start from the ground up. Give us new modes (story mode similar to Subspace Emissary, but make it not suck), new characters, new stages, new music, tweak the gameplay a bit (Smash 4 already plays pretty nicely imo) and boom, new Smash Bros. AND a new amiibo line to boot.

I'm expecting Smash for Switch to be a suped up version of Smash for Wiiu/3ds. The roster from that game with 4-6 new characters with Inkling and Ice Climbers being the headline annoucements. The stage list will include new stages from stuff like splatoon, xbc2/xbx, mario odyssey, and botw. I expect some of the veterans will be over hauled to incorporate new mechanics (mario maybe gets his cap throw, link gets botw overhaul, samus gets her samus returns counter thing). I expect Smash Run to return and support split screen along with individual screens via local play, probably no online cause Nintendo.

I dunno if Nintendo will push it as smash for switch the way it was smash for 3ds/wiiu, if they'll call it the 5th generation of smash, or call it a deluxe edition, but regardless of how they market it I doubt they'll do another from the ground up smash bros game.

Edit: I forgot Arms, someone from Arms will either be day 1 for the new smash for switch, or will be part of a new wave of dlc

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I want a new game, not just a port, with inklings and ice climbers. From a gameplay perspective, I would like them to add ledge-hogging back and shrink the KO boundaries, as I felt they were too large in the WiiU version.

Otherwise, keep with the usual smash flair of new characters, stages, modes, etc.

Ryce

I'd like an enhanced port of Smash 4 with a bunch of new characters and a story mode. Starting over from scratch would result in cut characters, and I don't want that.

cmChimera

I want a deluxe version of Smash 4. Add Ice climbers and Inklings, stages and whatever else for a competent upgrade. Launch Switch successor with Smash 5.

I think if they were going to do a slightly-enhanced port like MKDX they'd have at least announced it by now, so it's more likely to be a sequel on the order of Splatoon 2- which is to say, not a full-on rebuild of the entire thing, but porting the existing game over and throwing in enough changes/new content to justify calling it Smash 5.

brinstar

Everything from both versions of Smash 4 combined into one package + DLC + a small handful of new characters and stages. (mainly Splatoon which would be a big omission at this point)

Given the new name branding, they wouldn't have to worry about if it's enough to be considered 5 or whatever. Just call it Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch and there you go.

Alienous

Smash Bros. -> Melee -> Brawl -> SSBfor -> Super Smash Bros. on Switch

Just the same jump. I think it's too late for the announcement and release of a SSBfor port, without encroaching on a brand new Super Smash Bros. game.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I think if they were going to do a slightly-enhanced port like MKDX they'd have at least announced it by now, so it's more likely to be a sequel on the order of Splatoon 2- which is to say, not a full-on rebuild of the entire thing, but porting the existing game over and throwing in enough changes/new content to justify calling it Smash 5.
This is what I was thinking as well. If it were a marginally upgraded port, it would've been announced by now I feel.

oti

Banned
Both versions combined plus some Deluxe-tier addons.

Also buying statues via the Switch Online App lol.

SmashNet 4.

I'd expect All 3DS stages to be remade for it, and Smash Run with Split Screen or online Multiplayer. Remove that ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE Board game. And add a few characters. 3 would be fine. Ice Climbers were omitted due to power and 8 player Smash, I think they could put 'em in now.

And as for a pipe-dream, a full new adventure mode would get me to insta buy.

Edit: Also GIVE ME WOLF BACK NINTENDO. I MISS HIM.

Unrelated (Kinda) But I really wish any DX versions Nintendo releases will get DLC/More DLC.

I love Mario Kart 8, but man. I played the DLC tracks and everything else for a ton of time before DX. I'd be glad to pay for 2 more cups.

royox

I expect a WiiU+3DS smash port with all the DLC.

I want a new game not just a port of 2 games I already have.

Hylian7

Smash 4 isn't incredibly old, and it is generally loved by the community, moreso than Brawl was. I think they should port it, and of course have the DLC built in. In addition maybe add a new character or two (Inkling? Ribbon Girl? BotW Link?), and bring back the two missing veterans people cared about: Wolf and Ice Climbers. (Let's be honest, no one gives a shit about Pichu) Integrate Smash Run, and it could work exactly as it did on 3DS since Switch has local play. Maybe new stages, and call it a day.

It's gonna be Super Smash Bros. 4
It's gonna have a new subtitle, like Deluxe or Battle Royale or some shit
(I'm partial to Super Smash Bros. 4: Battle Royale)
There'll be like four new characters
I'm talkin' Ice Climbers, Rhythm Kids, Inkling, and SOLID MOTHERFUCKING SNAKE
Y'all are gonna want GC Joy-Con
there ain't gonna be GC Joy-Con

that's everything I'm expecting

the one thing I'm really hoping for is the death of custom moves, I'd much rather see them rejiggered to function as one set-in-stone alternate moveset for each character.

PK Gaming

Option 3 is not happening, and i'm kind of glad since I have absolutely 0 desire for a potentially smaller roster. Plus, Nintendo can still get quite a bit out of Smash 4, and some alterations/additions can make that game even better.

As for wants, give me balance changes, new characters (more DLC characters please) and new modes. Smash run's practically a given.

Honestly, I'm more than happy to just have a Smash Wii U port. I'd be a bit disappointed if it didn't have the 3DS stages and I think all DLC is obviously mandatory.

I'd love a couple extra characters, but I'm not really expecting Nintendo to do it. I definitely do not want a brand new game. Something extra to liven up the eSports scene and a balance patch would be great.

NMFried

A Deluxe Wii U port. Base Wii U game + Smash Run + All stages + five new characters (two vets, three newcomers).

Wolf, Ice Climbers, Inklings, Ribbon Girl and Chorus Kids.
Dream? GameCube JoyCons.

Why would they waste the hardware sales boost Smash will get them by releasing it year one among: Zelda, Mario, and limited hardware availability.

And again, why waste some potential software sales by porting it after five years (even with "upgrades"). Smash is one of Nintendo's most recognizable, easily accessible titles.

They've been working on the next Smash since the last one came out, and it's not coming out till Holiday 2018/2019.

Any other move would be a bad business decision.

Top Bottom