• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect from Smash on the Switch? What do you want?

Instro

This seems like a franchise that would be prime to test out a more service like model. Really all of their former console+handheld franchises(e.g. Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing), might look towards that as a way to make up for lost revenue now that there would be a single release instead of dual releases. I'd like to see better single player content though in Smash though, like Brawl attempted. That would be nice.

I can't imagine a new ground up game at this stage though, either it would be a Deluxe release or a Splatoon 2 type release.

RomanceDawn

It's entirely possible that with Switch doing well, Nintendo's holding Smash back and/or taking extra time so they have a megaton multiplayer game to drop next year, rather than trying to push it out this year to boost sales momentum.

This as well! I completely forgot about this aspect. The Smash 3DU Switch enhancement was probably going to be used exactly in the way that Mario Kart 8DX and Pokken DX were. A way to drive momentum for the early life of the Switch.

Come to find out that the Switch ending up performing very well since its debut there was probably less pressure on a Smash title being released so quickly. With that obligation out the way Sakurai and his team can probably go balls to the wall again but this time with the engine already done.

Neoxon

It's kinda too late to do a port of 4, but it's also likely too soon to have Sakurai come back. I feel like a sequel (maybe based on 4's engine to save time) could be the way to go. If Sakurai is involved in a major way is the real question.

As for newcomers, the only safe bets are Inklings & an ARMS rep. As for who the ARMS rep would be, it's most likely Spring Man (though Ribbon Girl could have a bit of hope). As much as I'd love to have Twintelle, I can't lie to myself, Spring Man's the main character. Speaking of which, I'm surprised by the lack of ARMS mentions from some of you.

Voidwolf

I already bought Smash 4 twice.

And I'll buy it a third time.

I feel like it's the perfect Smash game, I love it. Give me the same thing but with Snake, Wolf, and more characters and more stages. Call it Super Smash Bros for Switch or Smash 5. I don't really care. There's just no need to completely rebuild it from the ground up, they should just keep adding onto what they've already done imo.

Griss

This seems like a franchise that would be prime to test out a more service like model. Really all of their former console+handheld franchises(e.g. Mario Kart, Smash, Animal Crossing), might look towards that as a way to make up for lost revenue now that there would be a single release instead of dual releases. I'd like to see better single player content though in Smash though, like Brawl attempted. That would be nice.

I can't imagine a new ground up game at this stage though, either it would be a Deluxe release or a Splatoon 2 type release.

They could make a fortune with a free-to-play version where you get 4 characters to start with and then buy the rest, and buy alt skins for the rest.

I mean, they could make fortunes selling the whole thing for 60 bucks, too, and that's what I hope they do. Selling alt skins would be a gold mine, though.

That's not the difference that matters though. The difference is:
5.20 mil sold without 3DS, 13.92 solid with 3DS. The difference between a game that sells 5 million vs 14 million is enormous.

But you didn't say the Wii U and 3DS version sold a ton. You only said 3DS, which was 8.72 million.

Piers

Totally agree. There's already way too many characters in the game I don't care about, whom I can't get excited to see when my opponent or the CPU picks them.

I would be much, much more excited to see all new movesets for beloved characters like Link than I would whatever garbage people are requesting these days like Iron Man or Geno or Issac or Sharon Osbourne or Goku or whoever.

Aye, and I think it'd just be more refreshing and invigorating to see Nintendo all-stars in a completely new sort of gameplay right?
Because you have to wonder that when Smash 5 is announced, how little applause are the veteran characters going to get? We know how Yoshi functions, we've seen him several times now. And Marth. And Kirby. And Pikachu, etc etc.

Even if Sora Co. are a third party, maybe Sakurai will take to this sort of renaissance going on at Nintendo with BotW and Odyssey.

Would prefer an entirely new gameplay idea for next Smash, if it'd even still be called that.

-_-

if it's an 'entirely new gameplay idea'
then it's not Smash

I'd rather save that shit for a different spin-off series
(I've always wanted to see a 3D beat-em-up w/Nintendo characters)

but there's absolutely no sense in subverting Smash's tried and true formula just for the sake of being able to say "look at how NEW Smash Bros is now!"

I'd be down for every last veteran character to undergo a Bowser-like rejiggering though
especially Starfox characters

Aye, and I think it'd just be more refreshing and invigorating to see Nintendo all-stars in a completely new sort of gameplay right?
Because you have to wonder that when Smash 5 is announced, how little applause are the veteran characters going to get? We know how Yoshi functions, we've seen him several times now. And Marth. And Kirby. And Pikachu, etc etc.

Even if Sora Co. are a third party, maybe Sakurai will take to this sort of renaissance going on at Nintendo with BotW and Odyssey.

Yeah, I think some of the characters' movesets/control styles are getting stale at this point and I'd love to see shakeups that account for some of their evolution in the almost 10 years since Brawl.

I'd also be fine with some shakeups to the gameplay/controls in general, as long as they keep the core idea of building launch power with % and knocking people off the stage.

Zyrox

I always expected and continue to expect an enhanced (that's the keyword here) port of Smash 4 with more effort put into it than MK8D. A bunch of new characters (not just 2 or 3, more like 8), stages, more online features and a more robust SP offering. So the closest thing in the OP would be option 2. I'd personally be disappointed if they went and made Smash 5 from the ground up with massive cuts to the roster as most of my favorite characters are either secondary characters, from smaller series or third parties, all which would be the likeliest candidates for the chopping block. (If they can make Smash 5 with very few cuts then I'd be fine with that).

Neoxon

Yeah, I think some of the characters' movesets/control styles are getting stale at this point and I'd love to see shakeups that account for some of their evolution in the almost 10 years since Brawl.
I'd honestly be okay with a smaller roster redone from scratch so that the veterans can get the same treatment as the Smash 4 newbies in terms of moveset development (with long-term DLC eventually catching us back up to Smash 4's roster).

Griss

But you didn't say the Wii U and 3DS version sold a ton. You only said 3DS, which was 8.72 million.

I said the 3DS version sold a ton, which it did. I never said the Wii U version sold particularly poorly given its install base. It's merely the case that had Smash 4 only had Wii U sales then 5 mil would have been disappointing for such an expensive game, where the previous instalment sold 13 mil or so. And in such case a port to Switch would be more pressing.

I'd honestly be okay with a smaller roster redone from scratch so that the veterans can get the same treatment as the Smash 4 newbies in terms of moveset development (with long-term DLC eventually catching us back up to Smash 4's roster).

This is exactly what I want, and I'm surprised to see one of the hardcore smash fans on here agree with it.

VariantX

Second option would be the best option as you'd get an already very solid game out the door quicker and it leaves you room to add enough stuff to encourage double dipping from people who already own the older versions on the now dead or dying hardware. You'd save a ton of development costs while putting it on a platform with far higher sales potential than the old one. You can take advantage of the extra power the system affords to do things they couldn't before (ice climbers...thanks 3DS).

buzzth

I also think a continuation of smash 4 as a service would be fantastic. Otherwise, a collection from 64 to smash 4 in HD would be my dream.

Whilst I want a lot of things the number 1 thing I want is to just get smash bros on switch. It's pretty well the only game I play but having it on switch would just be so much more convenient for me. The sooner a version comes to the switch the better.

Beyond that I am hoping for a smash bros ultimate. Basically smash 4 but combine the content from the wii U and 3DS. Bring back all the old cut characters with maybe 2-3 new additions. Hopefully bring back a lot of old stages as well.

Shang

Slightly altered game physics to be a little faster, but largely the same base game. Reworked menus and perhaps a new single player mode. Two or three new characters, one or two of those being returning from last Smash games. Hopefully 3DS stages combined with Wii U stages. Game will just be called Super Smash Brothers.

That's what I want, and basically what I expect

I also think a continuation of smash 4 as a service would be fantastic. Otherwise, a collection from 64 to smash 4 in HD would be my dream.

Also this-- would like to see Smash be servicified here. Honestly, they could even platform that shit, I'd be in to that

Brofield

I'm not sure if what I'm asking for is 4.5 or 4.75, because I definitely feel that if they want to make Smash 5, we'll be waiting until 2020. I'd rather have a Smash game on my new shiny console than the one that's currently collecting dust underneath my TV.

Ideally, while Smash Run/all DLC/3DS and Wii U stages combined are nice, what I would like to see is A) Custom Moves for the DLC characters (especially Mewtwo and Bayonetta), and B) all the custom moves unlocked from the start. They were a great idea, but grinding for them and getting repeats was annoying at best and infuriating at worst. If that's why they justify launching in mid to late 2018, I'm okay with it.

Plus I'm not gonna envy the job of organizing logistics for amiibos all over again. But I will gladly take a chance at getting Samus, Rosalina and Pikachu at retail price and not rewarding scalpers

What I expect:
Smash 4 Wii U with all DLC characters and a few new stages (some recycled from 3DS), Inklings and Arms characters.

What I want: the above plus (from more to less realistic):
- Every stage from 3DS.
- Revamped Ganondorf with sword gameplay.
- More classic 3rd party characters (although most of the missing ones are in the hands of Konami...).
- Wonder Red from TW 101.
- The cure for cancer.
- Final Fantasy IV and VI characters.

I fully expect a Smash 4 Deluxe (Option 1 in the OP) with a couple tweaks and additions.

I'd WANT a fully expanded game with more characters, stages, and content (Option 2 in the OP)

It'd be a real shame to get a Smash for Switch and have to wait a good deal longer for a new Smash with a lot of these new characters/games that are begging to be added.

-Zelda reps are in desperate need of a visual overhaul. Some of Link's alt colors and Zelda/Shiek's moves are nice, but BotW or even Hyrule Warriors would be great. Even though I've been a Link main since the first one, I'd love a completely revamped BotW Link with different weapons and Champion powers and they could just keep Toon Link as the "classic" Link gameplay.
-Splatoon
-ARMS
-Xenoblade X/2
-Maybe Mario Odyssey stuff if they time it right!

And I believe that the next big 3rd party character should be Dragon Quest. I still think the whole reason S-E has been quiet and avoiding talk about the Switch version of XI is because they're waiting to do an epic DQXI for Switch + Smash character reveal at the same time.

LordKasual

Banned
What I want:

- Not a port of Smash 4

- Balance overseen by Harada and the Tekken team

- Switch attachments that compensate for the lack of a GC remote

- Advanced options with the ability to remove (or TWEAK!!!!) mechanics like Rage, Stale Moves, Chaingrabs, ect.

- Better yet, just give us a "competitive" ruleset that makes the game less stupid

- Give us back Melee's handicap implementation (was way more fun)

- Let us apply additional stocks / special effects to individual characters (this is long overdue)

- A REAL TRAINING MODE PLEASE

What i'm expecting:

- Port of Smash 4

Neoxon

What I want:

- Not a port of Smash 4

- Balance overseen by Harada and the Tekken team

- Switch attachments that compensate for the lack of a GC remote

- Advanced options with the ability to remove (or TWEAK!!!!) mechanics like Rage, Stale Moves, Chaingrabs, ect.

- Better yet, just give us a "competitive" ruleset that makes the game less stupid

- Give us back Melee's handicap implementation (was way more fun)

- Let us apply additional stocks / special effects to individual characters (this is long overdue)

- A REAL TRAINING MODE PLEASE

What i'm expecting:

- Port of Smash 4
You know that the GameCube Adapter exists, right?

LordKasual

Banned
You know that the GameCube Adapter exists, right?

I did not, actually

However, I think it would be pretty cool if they could actually just pull off a "Pro Switch" controller attachment that would make this unnecessary

Would also be pretty good for any would-be fighting games to grace the console, since the joycon Dpad is kinda doo-doo

MarioLinkSamus

not a fan of Ashley Madison. Digs her website tho
What do I want?

- Stock matches where each stock (chosen prematch) is a different fighter
- Capture the flag
- BotW Link (glider, shield deflect, beast abilities)

That's all.

Mattenth

Honestly, I want them to fix all the shit that isn't the core multiplayer experience:
  • The Wii-U's Mii and "stat builder" systems was unintuitive, not very fun, and just generally awful
  • The online services are still lacking
  • They should implement more alternative game modes (ex: Rotation mode, where you spawn each life with a new character)
  • They need to get a stronger base of non-ridiculous items. Almost every item feels like a game changer right now

Just a few of my thoughts. I would be disappointed in a straight Wii-U port.

Dalek

I don't care if it is a port of new Smash. All I want is Cranky Kong. Please don't disappoint Nintendo :(

should have happened by now anyway

CrankyJet.jpg

bman94

$60: All content from 3DS and Wii U plus a few new characters + Melee HD port.

okay that's not going to happen

There are a few characters that can be added, but we're really at a point of diminishing returns in that regard. Literally no one could be added that would create more excitement than characters already added: Sonic, Ryu, Pac-Man, etc. Nothing will ever top that.

I agree with OP that the roster is actually kinda bloated. 50+ characters is kinda silly considering that the vast majority of players find maaaaaybe 5 that they like and almost never use the others. Some of the characters also feel out of place to me. Yes, I'm talking about Bayonetta. Maybe it would be better if Sakurai didn't seem to have an obsession with Fire Emblem to the point where they're 10% of the roster, but alas.

I think the next smash should just focus on improving the core game and not worry about stuffing it with trophies, mini games, etc. None of the side features are as compelling as the main game. Smash 4 is as feature dense as could be and it didn't exactly make Wii U's fly off the shelf. I suppose most of the characters already in the game should be kept since the heavy lifting is done, but if the next game only added 1 or 2 new characters I wouldn't mind. There's really no one huge that isn't in Smash already.

defferoo

i'm guessing a smash 4 port with enhanced graphics, maybe additional characters? like inklings? with new stages and a more fleshed out single player. maybe the return of subspace emissary or something similar.

Semajer

I was expecting a Smash DX port announcement at E3, but I think at this point they'd be better off updating and enhancing the Wii U game with enough new content to call it Smash 5.

Combine the content from Smash 3DS/Wii U with a new story mode and a couple of new characters/stages for a base game, with regular content updates comprised of returning characters and stages and new content highlighting recent and upcoming Switch games.

VeeP

Give me Super Smash 4 Deluxe, with all the Wii U + 3DS content, a better single player campaign, and roughly 6-8 new characters. 3 should be the most requested, the other 3 from Arms/Splatoon, and give me Goku since this is Bandai/Namco.

LOLDSFAN

I expect a WiiU+3DS smash port with all the DLC.

I want a new game not just a port of 2 games I already have.
Yup same here.

Also I'd like less characters because they're kind of getting out of hand at this point, and better single player stuff.

Giga Man

I think "Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch" as a port of Wii U with added content can still happen. 2017 is packed with major games Nintendo is trying to promote right now for both Switch and 3DS. Smash Bros. is a dangerous property. If that was coming out this year, I doubt anyone would care about ARMS.

What I want from the next Smash Bros. is simply that the last game's roster remains intact. I don't care if it's a "Deluxe" version or a true sequel. They reached a huge milestone with the last game. Even Sakurai took great pride in how much content he filled the game with after all DLC was released. I only ask that they simply do not let it all, specifically the character roster, disappear. This is one of the few fighting game franchises that continuously builds on its roster size with each new game with as little removals as possible, and I want it to stay that way.

Oidisco

...I'm not sure I follow?

Training Mode doesn't work very well if you want to practice specific things. For starters the Combo Counter doesn't function properly at all, it'l count something as a combo when it isn't but it'l also do the opposite which is pretty annoying. Rage and Move Staling aren't in effect in Training Mode either, which are huge parts of the game.

And speaking of things I want for Smash Switch, please remove the rage mechanic or at least change the way it scales. Also please nerf Cloud so Doubles can be fun again.

Griss

Honestly, I want them to fix all the shit that isn't the core multiplayer experience:
  • The Wii-U's Mii and "stat builder" systems was unintuitive, not very fun, and just generally awful
  • The online services are still lacking
  • They should implement more alternative game modes (ex: Rotation mode, where you spawn each life with a new character)
  • They need to get a stronger base of non-ridiculous items. Almost every item feels like a game changer right now

Just a few of my thoughts. I would be disappointed in a straight Wii-U port.

Almost everything that wasn't the core fighting gameplay felt poorly thought out in Smash 4. So much effort went on things like custom moves that ended up adding so little to the game with the way they were implemented. Smash tour was shockingly bad, classic mode awful.

I dont get why all of that stuff was so poor but I'd want it fixed on switch.

KodaRuss

Whatever they want to do I am game. I would like to see it released early 2018 or at least before E3 but I might be hoping too much on that one.

I expect a solid port of both Smash Wii U's content and 3DS's content. Plus maybe some extras like a new stage or some new trophies.

What I want? Shantae as a playable character. That's it for me.

Heero5

BotW Link with a dodge, weapon variety, glider, Runes, Divine Beast powers, and
final smash is the 4 Divine Beasts attack on Ganon, but, instead of Ganon it's the opponents.

Philippo

Super Smash Bros Deluxe
-WiiU version, 720-1080p@60fps, high res textures
-HD 3DS stages
-Maybe, mayyybe one extra character

Super Smash Bros Something
-Same as Deluxe
-Use this as a base and add content (characters, stages, modes etc.) throughout the whole gen

Persona7

Banned
I don't expect much. A quick port of the Wii U version and a few of the 3DS features. Maybe a few extra characters and stages.

mas8705

Honestly, I'm in the camp where if we had "Smash for Switch" that has all the characters and even more on top of that with new stages, I'll call that a win right there. Pretty sure that unless if a deal could be made to bring all the 3rd party characters back in Smash 5, might as well roll with what has been working (plus it would give Nintendo a fun excuse to go full out on their eSports approach since you know with Smash, Pokken, Splatoon, and ARMS, they can start up their own fancy competitive league if they wanted to).

Also one other small thing: No 3DS connection. After finding out that MHXX can actually crossplay with the Switch and 3DS, it could be fair to say that they could do the same with the Switch and 3DS versions of Smash too. While there was some good that came out of the lack of 3DS power (such as Charizard being its own character and Samus and Zelda split from their alt. characters), I would like to think that Ice Climbers (even though I wouldn't use them myself) would still be a great character that does deserve to return (as a certain other 3rd party character if Konami decides to stop being morons about and let either "Him" or someone else jump in so that we can have a full 8 player fight with nothing but third party characters).

Top Bottom