• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect from Smash on the Switch? What do you want?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I kind of expect nothing at this point. If it was an SSB4 port we would've heard about it by now. But it still seems early for SSB5.

So I expect SSB5. But not for another like, year or two. At least. I don't think the Switch really needs it right away.

Ban Puncher

b38.gif

impirius

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch

Smash 4.5 with all the DLC + Ice Climbers + Splatoon and ARMS reps seems like the only realistic option. Build Smash 5 from the ground up for the next system.

I believe a smash 4 port will have been worked on a planned for this year but with switch being the massive hit it will have be judged unneccessary and evolved into a smash 5 for the end of next year

but you can already form private lobbies in Brawl and Smash 4...

somehow I missed the word 'private' and was envisioning lobbying up with friends before jumping into matchmaking. something that will never happen because it's so much more complex than sakurai's vision for the series or whatever

Clov

I'm really just expecting Smash 4 Deluxe, basically. That's all I really want; give me Smash 4, but with more characters and stages. Oh, and a hazard toggle would be nice.

Renna Hazel

I believe a smash 4 port will have been worked on a planned for this year but with switch being the massive hit it will have be judged unneccessary and evolved into a smash 5 for the end of next year

I kind of agree with this, but I'm guessing it was pushed to launch with Nintendo's online service. It will probably not be sold as Smash 5, but who knows. I'm happy with Smash 4 Deluxe.

somehow I missed the word 'private' and was envisioning lobbying up with friends before jumping into matchmaking. something that will never happen because it's so much more complex than sakurai's vision for the series or whatever

Oh, well I'd love for them to include this as well. I hope with a paid online service, Nintendo adds more options to the online modes.

13ruce

Banned
Adventure Mode or something like Brawl's story mode. Will skip the game if it's not there.

I respect Sakurai but his reason to exclude such a mode was pure bullshit (cuz of people putting the scenes online lmao).

They dump the Smash 4 engine and build an entirely new game with new core gameplay, as they have done for each Smash game so far.
That's not true. They build upon the previous engine for each game, they don't just throw it out. But semantics, I guess.

As for me, I'm expecting option 3, no earlier than 2019, and my bet is on 2020.

rhandino

Banned
1) Revamp Link, Zelda and Ganon movesets and make their visuals designs based on Breath of the Wild along with a Breath of the Wild stage.

2) Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl along with a Inkopolis Plaza stage (that has Normal and Splatfest themes)

3) Twintelle and Spring Man from ARMS along with Sky Arena stage.

4) Elma from Xenoblade X and she needs to be as OP as ZSS and Bayonetta and for the stage I would love to be a Skell flying trough Primordia/NLA

5) Drop that trashy minigame from the Wii U version and just do a more fleshed out version of Smash Run from 3DS

6) Another Fire Emblem rep without dropping any of the ones that already exist.

That's all.

I expect option 1, even if it's weirdly delayed. Don't know if BN/HAL have to really work on Nintendo's normal schedules much like Pokemon Company. I would want option 3. I don't really care if it comes out in 2019 or 2020, or even crossgen with Switch 2 (I expect Switch 2 or whatever to be backwards compat)

kunonabi

I expect a smash 4 port that with a few extra characters that ill have no interest in.

I want smash 5 with Simon Belmont finally making it in.

1) Revamp Link, Zelda and Ganon movesets and make their visuals designs based on Breath of the Wild along with a Breath of the Wild stage.

2) Inkling Boy and Inkling Girl along with a Inkopolis Plaza stage (that has Normal and Splatfest themes)

3) Twintelle and Spring Man from ARMS along with Sky Arena stage.

4) Elma from Xenoblade X and she needs to be as OP as ZSS and Bayonetta and for the stage I would love to be a Skell flying trough Primordia/NLA

5) Drop that trashy minigame from the Wii U version and just do a more fleshed out version of Smash Run from 3DS

6) Another Fire Emblem rep without dropping any of the ones that already exist.

That's all.

Make 4) a XB2 char, and then hire this man until he tries to do 6). Then fire this man.

If next year comes and goes without any Smash game then it'll be a ground-up new installment. I'm fully expecting Option 2 to happen at some point next year though. They've had plenty of time to work on additional content.

The base game had a 2.5 year cycle, DLC a bit under a year and a half. Coming out in 2018, over two years after the end of the DLC, seems like plenty of time to make Smash 4.5-level improvements, and Nintendo's prerogative so far has been to salvage as much Wii U development as possible and get their major IPs on the Switch ASAP. I can't see a straight port flying by the time next year comes around seeing as they've made a point to ensure every one of them has something new.

All I want... Adventure Mode, Inklings, Wolf, more music from FF and Street Fighter, some more alt skins (where the FUCK is Mr. L???) and I think being optimistic, 4-5 characters seems like the sweet spot given the amount of time there's been. Great if they brought over Smash Run and all the 3DS-exclusive stages/music too.

Only things I care about:

- Add a new single-player mode (literally anything that's more interesting than classic mode would be fine)
- Inklings as a new fighter, as well as Bomberman and/or Shovel Knight
- Ice Climbers and Wolf as new returning fighters
- A handful of new stages for the added fighters
- A handful of new returning stages ported from past games/the 3DS version
- Add more configuration options for Final Smash, including eliminating Smash Balls in favor of automatically awarding Final Smashes after players rack up a certain damage %, making them more of a risk v. reward thing rather than a random chance thing
- Some new music particularly from existing Switch titles
- Support for GameCube adapter

I expect only Inklings, Ice Climbers, a couple new stages, and GameCube adapter will actually happen.

I'm not really asking for or expecting anything else.

Platy

I expect 4 with 3ds+wiiu+ice climbers+all dlc+ maybe new dlc

I want 4 with more modes and break the targets and Tetrimino and Hanafuda and Inkling and Arms and Shovel Knight

I thought it was strange that so many of the credible leak reporters said that there was a Smash 4 port coming (and some a Mario Maker port).

They accurately confirmed things like MK8d, Splatoon 2, and even Mario x Rabbids, but there is seemingly nothing about the Smash 4 port they also said was launch window.

Does anyone know what happened to those leaked screenshots around E3? It looked VERY convincing because it was some 3DS stages remade with new assets and geometry.

And that's what I expect: All stages from both the WiiU and 3DS versions, some sort of new adventure mode, and maybe a couple new characters (Inkling being the most likely)

Peltz

I thought it was strange that so many of the credible leak reporters said that there was a Smash 4 port coming (and some a Mario Maker port).

They accurately confirmed things like MK8d, Splatoon 2, and even Mario x Rabbids, but there is seemingly nothing about the Smash 4 port they also said was launch window.

Plans change.

RomanceDawn

For me it seems like they lost their window to announce an updated port. I thought for sure thats what we were getting but now I feel like we will get a full on Smash 6 but not built from the ground up.

Smash Wii U has a great engine with a ton of HD assets and move sets that can be leveraged into a full new game.

I imagine the original idea was probably an enhanced port, probably combining stuff between the 3DS and Wii U versions but everyone knows Sakurai gonna Sakurai. We all know he is working on the game and we all know how he is. I don't think Sakurai himself would be satisfied with such a game so at some point he said eF it and decided to make this a full on sequel.

Ridley & Dixie please!

It's entirely possible that with Switch doing well, Nintendo's holding Smash back and/or taking extra time so they have a megaton multiplayer game to drop next year, rather than trying to push it out this year to boost sales momentum.

Does anyone know what happened to those leaked screenshots around E3? It looked VERY convincing because it was some 3DS stages remade with new assets and geometry.

And that's what I expect: All stages from both the WiiU and 3DS versions, some sort of new adventure mode, and maybe a couple new characters (Inkling being the most likely)

They were faked by an infamous Youtuber named TheBitBlock.

It's entirely possible that with Switch doing well, Nintendo's holding Smash back and/or taking extra time so they have a megaton multiplayer game to drop next year, rather than trying to push it out this year to boost sales momentum.

Bingo, this is basically my thought process. I also think things like ARMS and Pokken ended up being prioritized, and that gives a convenient shot to give Smash more time. It'd also be the perfect game to launch the paid online program with, and we know that's not coming till next year either.

I wouldn't be surprised if Smash started out as a quick-and-dirty port, but basically things ended up naturally leading to it become more than that. Well, that's what I hope for anyway.

Piers

Would prefer an entirely new gameplay idea for next Smash, if it'd even still be called that.
Smash 4 began hitting the ceiling on content, and the idea of Smash 5 trying to outdo that feels almost unsettling. Over saturation.

rhandino

Banned

Maybe with all the Switch shortages they thought releasing Smash the same year of Zelda, Splatoon 2 and Mario (Kart and Odyssey) would be overkill for them.

Better release it next year along with new Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Metroid (lol) to pad the year.

Honestly, I think Smash Switch will probably just be a new Smash altogether, when it happens.

I'm kinda curious to know if Sakurai is even working on Smash at all. We do know that's he working on a new project, and he even bought a mech action figure for reference, which is basically how he designs his games.

http://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-bought-a-vifam-figure-as-a-reference-for-his-work/

IM9TOvD.jpg

He said he mainly bought it to use the rifle, which makes me believe he's working on something shooting related. It could be for Smash, for a projectile based character like Inkling, but it could also pertain to a non-Smash project...
like a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising

Will be interesting either way to see what happens.

Just a straight port with added features just like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. A Smash 5 seems crazy to me. I know what I really want and that is Snake.

Clessidor

At this point I'm expecting a Smash 5 game and go the same route like on Splatoon 2. Make it slightly based on the first game, but improve graphics and character models for the console, recycle some old stages from 3DS and Wii U version, but still do new ones, etc.
I kinda expect something like that. And probably sometime in 2018.

L Thammy

Honestly, I think Smash Switch will probably just be a new Smash altogether, when it happens.

I'm kinda curious to know if Sakurai is even working on Smash at all. We do know that's he working on a new project, and he even bought a mech action figure for reference, which is basically how he designs his games.

http://nintendoeverything.com/masahiro-sakurai-bought-a-vifam-figure-as-a-reference-for-his-work/

vifam-656x391.jpg

He said he mainly bought it to use the rifle, which makes me believe he's working on something shooting related. It could be for Smash for a projectile based character like Inkling, but it could also pertain to a non-Smash project...
like a sequel to Kid Icarus Uprising

Will be interesting either way to see what happens.

I didn't hear about this, but now that I have, I can tell you it's totally going to be Battle Clash Uprising.

I expect Nintendo to do option 1 because it makes the most sense - add in all the 3DS content and Ice Climbers, aka Smash 4 Deluxe.

I want Nintendo to do option 2 because adding in brand new content to Smash 4 sounds amazing to me. Option 3 sounds interesting but we just got Smash Wii U/3DS less than 3 years ago (even less with the DLC) so I feel like it's too soon for a new game.

Honestly as long as Nintendo puts in GCN adapter/controller support for the Switch then I'm fine with whatever option they pick.

Griss

The difference between 3DS and Wii U was not that big, 8.72 Million to 5.20 Million, especially considering install base.

Wii U also sold more DLC as well.

That's not the difference that matters though. The difference is:
5.20 mil sold without 3DS, 13.92 solid with 3DS. The difference between a game that sells 5 million vs 14 million is enormous.

This is what I think. It was probably possible for them to show Smash for early 2018 at e3 if they felt they needed to. They didn't need to.

Would prefer an entirely new gameplay idea for next Smash, if it'd even still be called that.
Smash 4 began hitting the ceiling on content, and the idea of Smash 5 trying to outdo that feels almost unsettling. Over saturation.

Totally agree. There's already way too many characters in the game I don't care about, whom I can't get excited to see when my opponent or the CPU picks them.

I would be much, much more excited to see all new movesets for beloved characters like Link than I would whatever garbage people are requesting these days like Iron Man or Geno or Issac or Sharon Osbourne or Goku or whoever.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Expected first more or less a port of the WiiU version including the 3DS stages....but since it a 2018 release we probably will get more of Smash 4.5 instead of the 4.1 release i was expecting. So 1-2 new modes, 2-3 new characters maybe in addition to all the DLC and 3DS content - thats it.

DMVfan123

Banned
What I expect: the Wii U version with a few new characters and features
What I want: for it to come out so I can get a Switch

Chauzu

What I expect: Smash 5 with new gameplay with Sakurai at the helm
What I want: Smash 5 with new gameplay without Sakurai involved

Top Bottom