• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you expect from Smash on the Switch? What do you want?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Great_Bay_Ingame_Melee.png

What I expect: Smash 4 Deluxe with Ice Climbers, a Splatoon Character, and an Arms character
What I want: the above upgraded to Smash 5, with Simon Belmont, Crono from Chrono Trigger, and Wonder Red. And a story mode.

Atheerios

This may be a controversial opinion, but I want them to finally let go the GameCube controller support.

It's time for it, the Switch Pro Controller is excellent and the perfect replacement.

woopWOOP

I still expect 1, but I wouldn't be opposed to 2

If it's a semi-port then I'd like 8-player Smash to be playable on all stages and custom maps.
An expansion of the custom map editor itself would be pretty sweet too. That's all, really

I'd take Smash 5 from the ground up, even if they had to remove half the roster. I just don't enjoy Smash 4's gameplay that much and hope for significant changes in a new title.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I don't think it'll happen, but it WOULD be easier than a brand new Smash 5.... .... would love to get "Smash Anthology" with all 4 games included.

Even if it wasn't online, network ad-hoc play for Melee would be an awesome enhancement.

You'd appease everyone, really... "hipster retro folks" (I say that kindly) for N64, Melee for the "pros," Brawl to re-interest the 100 million Wii users, and 4 for all the people that missed out (the majority).

A reduced price for those upgrading from Wii U OR 3DS digital to Switch digital.
Not happening. We saw what happened with mk8.

Realistically we can expect all dlc characters, and its likely we will have 3ds stages as well. I'm hoping for a couple of new characters too like IC, Wolf, Snake(likely won't happen), inkling( a shoe in) or a other newcomer. I'm really hoping we have an offline and with friends tournament mode as well as miis and custom moves being playable in all modes without equipment.. And some additional balances..

Would be nice to support game cube controllers, importing some save data, and not getting duplicates for custom moves.

I'd say Sakurai has been quietly working on something for the past few years. Based on Brawl, Kid Icarus: Uprising, SSB4 3ds/Wii U and DLC Sakurai has shown that he will go above and beyond in terms of content and effort. I think if he is just doing a port of Smash 4 then he is still going to add a lot of content to entice players to come back. Here are the options I'd like to see:

SSB4 Deluxe- Switch port of all 4 content from both versions with 5-10 new characters, New stages, fleshed out Build you own stage mode, updated character models and New single player adventure mode.

SSB5- altered and enhanced Smash Bros 4 engine and character roster/moveset. Game launches with 40 characters and 40 stages with a Splatoon/Arms free DLC release schedule. Stages are 60% returning stages from previous entries. After a year and a half of free DLC the roster ends up being 70 characters and 80 stages.

SSB: Legacy Tour- enhanced ports of all four entries' versus mode and engine into one game. Game starts up the first menu allows you to either pick Fight, Smash, Melee, or Brawl. Each mode uses the same models and assets, the difference is that each mode is a recreation of the versus mode from their respective title. The character roster of each mode includes some new characters that weren't in the original. For example, Fight mode has 4's full roster with Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Inkling, Spring Man, and Bomberman being newcomers to 4. Fight mode also has 4's All Star Mode, Smash Tour/Run, and all of the new, original stages from 4. Smash Mode would have 64's roster with Bowser, Peach, Marth, King Dedede, Mewtwo, Little Mac and Pit added in. You can choose from 6 64 stages(4 of which were in 4) and 15 other stages from the Smash bros series that are present in other modes. Smash mode also includes 64's classic mode, Break the targets and Home Run Contest. Melee mode is as faithful of a recreation as possible to the original. Roster is mostly the same(no diddy kong) with Diddy Kong, Wario, King Dedede, Metaknight, Little Mac, Lucas, R.O.B., Sonic, Pacman and Megaman added to the roster. Melee mode also has an enhanced version of its Adventure mode, Board the Platforms and Race to the Finish. There are 16 Melee stages(Including the 7 that were in Smash 4) on top of 20 other stages from the series. Brawl mode has every character from Brawl except for Pokemon Trainer but it also adds Megaman, Pac man, Mewtwo, Charizard, Bowser Jr., Rosalina, Dr. Mario, Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Little Mac, Ryu and Cloud. Brawl mode has 28 Brawl stages and 25 other stages from the series. Brawl mode includes enhanced Event Mode and Build your own stage mode. All Versus modes can be played online.

Neiteio

Since there were rumors from reliable folks saying Smash Bros was considered for launch, it must be another version of Smash 4 at its core.

But the scope of the project might've been expanded once they saw the Switch selling well and realized the current lineup of games would suffice for Year 1, buying them more time.

So I'm thinking this will be a holiday title next year, and I think it'll be the definitive edition. Since the Switch is both a console and a handheld, SSB Switch can offer the contents of the WiiU and 3DS versions, as well as new content all its own — new characters, stages, etc.

There's no need for roster parity, since this game was not part of the original promise. Ice Climbers coming back, baby!

Top Bottom