• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think about Banning Breeds of Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

darscot

I just read an article about banning specific breeds of dogs from certain areas. Just wondering what you guys thought. I myself have no problem with it. Pit Bulls piss me off. Some dick head got one in my neighborhood and the thing came at me one night when I was taking my garbage out. Little bastard made a lot of noise but wouldn't actually step onto my drive way. He got real confused when I started yelling back and I didn't back away. Little prick was a coward in the end. I had been doing some work on my garage so I had a nice length of 2 X 4 handy, suddenly the little prick wasn't so tough and peeled. So what do you guys think? Canine genocide or blame the dog owner?

MIMIC

Banned
I have a rottweiller, so I'm going to have to say no. :) I'm all for leash laws for certain dogs, though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just as a shepherd dog of any type will instinctively herd their owners towards the door when they want to go for a walk, bred-in behaviors of other types of dogs will tend to occur, even if the owner spends a lot of time trying to discourage them.

Pit bulls have been bred as fighting dogs. That is their bred-in behavior, and it is extremely difficult to suppress that.

However, banning would be very difficult to enforce, so there really isn't a good solution.

darscot

I have no problem with them. They don't seem unstable like a pit. Big melon on them lots of brains. Pits got that narrow head brain like a rock.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I know it's apples and oranges, but how come I can't keep a ferret in California while my neighbors on both sides can keep pitbulls that crash into the fences barking at me every morning?

|
|
v
Ferrets are banned in CA, Hawaii, New York City, Dallas and a few other small towns. The local governments still classify them as wild animals.

With that in mind, then, I'm against any blanket ban of dog breed, but I wish there was a way to legislate responsibility among owners of breeds like pitbulls.

darscot

fennec fox said:
I know it's apples and oranges, but how come I can't keep a ferret in California while my neighbors on both sides can keep pitbulls that crash into the fences barking at me every morning?

What's the story on the Ferret? Why is it not allowed?

Drozmight

MIMIC said:
I have a rottweiller, so I'm going to have to say no. :) I'm all for leash laws for certain dogs, though.

A neighbor used to have one of those, and it scared the bejezzus out of me everytime I'd check the mail. They's leave it tied up out front some times, and I'd forget about it and see her running towards me in the corner of my eye.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Ban 'em all, I say. In my town alone we've had two attacks in the last week and a half - the first was with a couple of unleashed pits that had gotten loose, and the second involved an owner who had two of them on a leash, and still couldn't keep them from mauling another person's dog. Freakin' ridiculous.

MIMIC

Banned
Drozmight said:
A neighbor used to have one of those, and it scared the bejezzus out of me everytime I'd check the mail. They's leave it tied up out front some times, and I'd forget about it and see her running towards me in the corner of my eye.

Yeah...mine is about 160 lbs.

But he is so cute (in a huge as hell sort of way) :p

EDIT: Oh yeah...he's trained, too. :)

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
fine with me, but people who find any degree of companionship in hulking maniacal dogs are probably loony enough to be jailhouse material one way or another.

Lil' Dice

Banned
I'd prefer a ban on certain people before imposing a ban on specific breeds of dogs.
Also, Pit Bulls rank high in terms of intelligence, i believe top 5 or 10.
I've never been attacked of confronted by a pit bull, but plently of German Sheperds, Collies and Chows.
Nowadays i prefer cats to dogs. My neoghbors have dogs, and they can't eve leave town for the weekend without having to arrange for someone to watch their pain in the ass animals.

SKluck

Banned
I'd rather ban all the ugly dogs first. How or why people have Bulldogs, Poodles, Rotts, sheep dogs, is beyond me. They are gross.

belgurdo

Banned
Can't fucking STAND dogs, especially the attack-type breeds that all the "true gangstas" buy *insert rolleyes here*

I know how much you "hard hustlers" need and adore your expensive penis extensions, but come the fuck on guys, at least buy a high fence or keep your damn animals fed so that they don't start chasing everything they see (i.e., me) at night when I'm walking home from work...

(and no, I'm not addressing anyone specifically here, so drop the torches)

fennec fox

Lil' Dice said:
I hate small dogs, especially the 'toy' variety. Why not just get a cat?
Small dogs are worthless....
But cats hate everyone more than MAF does.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think we should ban breeds of people!

Seriously though, we're more often then not, punishing animals when it's the owners' fault

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Lil' Dice said:
I hate small dogs, especially the 'toy' variety. Why not just get a cat?
Small dogs are worthless....

amen to that, especially yapping ones that live next door grrrrr

Phoenix

I'd rather ban certain types of people from owning dogs - seems that would be more effective. I get so sick of people who just sit their dog out in the yard along for months->years on end until the dogs essentially go nuts. These people shouldn't be allowed to own pets and are a leading cause of pet behavior problems.

Inumaru

Lil' Dice said:
I'd prefer a ban on certain people before imposing a ban on specific breeds of dogs.
Also, Pit Bulls rank high in terms of intelligence, i believe top 5 or 10.
I've never been attacked of confronted by a pit bull, but plently of German Sheperds, Collies and Chows.
Nowadays i prefer cats to dogs. My neoghbors have dogs, and they can't eve leave town for the weekend without having to arrange for someone to watch their pain in the ass animals.

American Staffordshire Terriers (i.e., "Pit Bulls") rate 34th of 135 races on the most commonly cited intelligence scale for dogs, published in The Intelligence of Dogs by Stanley Coren. So they're not dumb, but definitely not "top five or ten" bright. However, these tests assume a very high quality level of purebred dog among the breeds that were tested, and unfortunately the vast majority of "Pit Bulls" and similar species are definitely not well-bred. Instead, they're one of the most cross-bred species in existence, and unconsciencious breeders consistently breed those with some of the worst temperment issues.

I say ban 'em. Grandfather in current owners and make them all license their dogs. Anyone caught with an unlicensed dog of that breed after a certain time could be put in jail, and the dog destroyed. They're simply too dangerous, and are too often purchased with the intent to raise a vicious, ill-socialized dog.

spliced

Ban them.

People blame the owners, and I'm sure that's partially right, but no one NEEDS to own a Pitbull. The evidence shows they are vicious and often can't be controlled so they should be gone. People's safety is more important then someone having the type of dog they want. If someone is unable to enjoy 1 of the great many other breeds of dogs out there their opinion is too idiotic to listen to on this matter and should be disregarded.

People who already have a Pitbull I can empathize they don't want to give up their pet they have already gotten attached to so something could be arranged with them so they can keep their pet as long as they have it screened for it's behavior or something.

If people can't even agree to that than make any new owner sign a form saying they will be held responsible for the dogs actions, so if the dog kills a kid that owner just committed murder in the eyes of the law.

lexy

spliced said:
If people can't even agree to that than make any new owner sign a form saying they will be held responsible for the dogs actions, so if the dog kills a kid that owner just committed murder in the eyes of the law.

I agree with the above. If nothing else hold the owners responsible for the actions of their pets.

MC Safety

I tried to adopt a dog from the local ASPCA a few years ago. It was truly sad, but all of the puppies there were mixes of pitbulls, rottweilers, and German Shepherds. They were all very cute, but you could tell they were going to grow into very big, very powerful, possibly very dangerous animals.

And I was forced to ask, why would people choose to breed dogs for aggression? Of what value is a dog that can snap at any moment and kill a small child -- or adult for that matter.

Oh, and Kevin...don't get a ferret. They eat human eyeballs!

golem

darscot said:
What's the story on the Ferret? Why is it not allowed?
ferrets are considered rodents.. not domesticated. and after seeing my friend's (illegal) ferret in action, i have to agree. why anyone would actually want one as a pet is beyond me

Vormund

spliced said:
Ban them.

People blame the owners, and I'm sure that's partially right, but no one NEEDS to own a Pitbull. The evidence shows they are vicious and often can't be controlled so they should be gone. People's safety is more important then someone having the type of dog they want. If someone is unable to enjoy 1 of the great many other breeds of dogs out there their opinion is too idiotic to listen to on this matter and should be disregarded.

People who already have a Pitbull I can empathize they don't want to give up their pet they have already gotten attached to so something could be arranged with them so they can keep their pet as long as they have it screened for it's behavior or something.

Well said.

Also some people down the end of our street had a pitbull, and what worried me is that we have children that sometimes play in the park which is front of my house. I had a gun and a samurai sword ready if it was to attack anyone.

Thankfully it never came to that.

fennec fox

golem said:
ferrets are considered rodents.. not domesticated. and after seeing my friend's (illegal) ferret in action, i have to agree. why anyone would actually want one as a pet is beyond me
They aren't rodents! They eat rodents!

Also, you suck! And you too, Stu! What kind of name is Stu anyway!

MIMIC

Banned
American Staffordshire Terriers (i.e., "Pit Bulls") rate 34th of 135 races on the most commonly cited intelligence scale for dogs, published in The Intelligence of Dogs by Stanley Coren.

I checked that site, and my dog (the rotweiller) is the 9th most intelligent. :D

Phoenix

Vormund said:
Well said.

Also some people down the end of our street had a pitbull, and what worried me is that we have children that sometimes play in the park which is front of my house. I had a gun and a samurai sword ready if it was to attack anyone.

Thankfully it never came to that.

Good job, you were actually more dangerous than the dog!

DJ Sl4m

Rotts are actually very gentle if raised correctly, but Pit Bulls should have been banded long ago.

It seems like only the truly ignorant individuals actually own these things, they're like a magnet for stupidity.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
DJ Sl4m said:
Rotts are actually very gentle if raised correctly
Quite true in fact, two of my friends own them and they are both very gentle. One is several years old and still acts like a pup.

With any dog a lot of their personality is defined in the way you treat them. I had two Australian staffordshire bull terriers and they were both very very gentle. Of course they'd bark at cats or the occasional bad creepy guy that walks past the house, but they would rather lick you to death when you first meet them.

Vormund

Phoenix said:
Good job, you were actually more dangerous than the dog!

Yeah because I go around attacking people.

If I saw the dog mauling a child out front of my house, do you think I wouldn't do anything?

Yeah I'll just post on GA asking what should I do.

Iceman

Vormund said:
If I saw the dog mauling a child out front of my house, do you think I wouldn't do anything?

Yeah I'll just post on GA asking what should I do.

And we'll be right here to ... "help" you.

Iceman said:
Pit bulls are big sissies if they aren't raised as brutes.
Seriously, wtf is up with all the pit bull hate? Have you guys ever been around a pit bull that had been raised right? They're sweeties.

Pit bulls aren't naturally aggressive, they're simply very loyal (which can mean overly protective). A lot of assholes decide the want a "tough" dog, get a pit bull, and only reinforce its aggressive behavior; this shouldn't reflect poorly on the breed.

Edit: Speedpop's right.

MC Safety

Banjo Tango said:
Seriously, wtf is up with all the pit bull hate? Have you guys ever been around a pit bull that had been raised right? They're sweeties.

Pit bulls aren't naturally aggressive, they're simply very loyal (which can mean overly protective). A lot of assholes decide the want a "tough" dog, get a pit bull, and only reinforce its aggressive behavior; this shouldn't reflect poorly on the breed.

Edit: Speedpop's right.

Seriously, have you read every newspaper account of a pitbull attack?

The owner: "He never even barked at children!"

These dogs have been bred, for hundreds if not thousands of years, to be fought. Aggression is innate.

DJ Sl4m

Disco Stu said:

These dogs have been bred, for hundreds if not thousands of years, to be fought. Aggression is innate.

They are inbred for fighting purposes, it's in their bloodlines now.

Plus they don't always act vicious, that's what makes their reputation, one day they just 'Snap'.
Of course I'm sure there is a chance a person could somehow become lucky enough to find one not too inbred in it's line, but if the horror storys prove anything, it's that it's just not worth it.
Too many dogs to choose from to want a cock-eyed dog with a midlife moodswing in it's potential future. :lol

Disco Stu said:

No it isn't - I don't have my dog encyclopedia handy, but everything I've read on the subject states that the dogs are just loyal, and their aggressive reputation is underserved, only enforced by abusive owners.

Plus, in my personal experience, two of the nicest dogs I've ever known were pit bulls, both of whom lived long lives without harming a fly.

...actually, the one did eat flies I guess. But also he mothered baby kittens, so it's a trade off.

Edit - What Pheonix Said
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Phoenix

Disco Stu said:

FYI, a pit bull is NOT a breed of dog, just a collection for a variety of dogs that share characteristics. In addition most of these dogs (generally American Pit Bull Terriers as opposed to American Staffordshire Terrier or the Staffordshire Bull Terrier) are bred in backyards without any concern for anything other than profit. Many of these dogs are bred with problems due to breeder irresponsibility, not inherent breed problemd!

MC Safety

Banjo Tango said:
No it isn't - I don't have my dog encyclopedia handy, but everything I've read on the subject states that the dogs are just loyal, and their aggressive reputation is underserved, only enforced by abusive owners.

Plus, in my personal experience, two of the nicest dogs I've ever known were pit bulls, both of whom lived long lives without harming a fly.

...actually, the one did eat flies I guess. But also he mothered baby kittens, so it's a trade off.

Edit - What Pheonix Said
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I understand there's plenty of apologist literature, and probably more anecdotal evidence in defense of pitbulls.

That doesn't change the fact that, were I not unrepentantly lazy, I could cite you chapter and verse about pitbull aggression.

I'm not in favor of banning any variety of dog. What I am in favor of, is education and responsibility. That is all.

Lil' Dice

Banned
I'll get a Pit Bull in a short while, and it'll be the nicest albeit the most muscular Pit Bull you'll ever see.
There's no way the dog will be vicious with the upbringing my gf will provide him ....

neptunes

:p I have what you consider a toy/lap dog, and she does indeed yap at everyone who comes near my front door. :lol

She's an angel otherwise.

sandy.jpg

*After Trimming*

Edit: Sorry if this seemed off-topic :p

border

Ferrets are not rodents. They are a member of the pole cat family (similar to skunks).

Fennec Fox -- have you ever tried ferret legging? :D I caught videos of this for the first time on TLC over the weekend....on a show called "What Were You Thinking?" :lol

As for dog breeds, I've never heard about them being legally banned, but I have seen plenty of apartment listings where the owner allows all dogs except certain breeds (usually chow, rotweiller, German shepard, and pit bull). Maybe they can be nice if raised right, but there's too many fuckwads out there that turn them into psychos.....I'm fine with the low-level bans. I've also heard that those breeds' skulls contract as they age. This puts pressure on the brain and can turn them a bit nuts....sometimes this expresses itself as a harmless behavioral change, sometimes it makes them paranoid and agressive.

I always hate owners of the vicious breeds that say "Don't worry, he doesn't bite!", even as their dog barks and growls at me, stretching out the leash trying to get closer to me. Fuck that, what you really mean is "He doesn't bite me!"....which only makes sense considering you've loved him since birth and are his source of food. There's no telling what your dog will do to me, though.....

fennec fox

border said:
Fennec Fox -- have you ever tried ferret legging? :D
I'd need a ferret to leg with first! I live in CA right now, but I'll be moving shortly and I plan to get one or two once I'm settled down.
As for dog breeds, I've never heard about them being legally banned, but I have seen plenty of apartment listings where the owner allows all dogs except certain breeds (usually chow, rotweiller, German shepard, and pit bull).
Yeah, even in cities with tons of open apartments that's usually the case. Of course, it's also true that if you don't live in a real house, you probably don't have the capability to properly care for a dog like that anyway.

Of course, in San Francisco where apartments are dearer than gold, you'll be lucky if you find a landlord that lets you so much as keep dust mites under your bed.

neptunes

border said:
As for dog breeds, I've never heard about them being legally banned, but I have seen plenty of apartment listings where the owner allows all dogs except certain breeds (usually chow, rotweiller, German shepard, and pit bull). Maybe they can be nice if raised right, but there's too many fuckwads out there that turn them into psychos.....I'm fine with the low-level bans. I've also heard that those breeds' skulls contract as they age. This puts pressure on the brain and can turn them a bit nuts....sometimes this expresses itself as a harmless behavioral change, sometimes it makes them paranoid and agressive.

yeah, they're going to ban them up here in toronto, I think that's where the thread stemmed from.

darscot

There are lots of areas that ban them. They skirt the issue though. They have bylaws that say you must have a ten foot fence to own a Pit, then pass bylaws that fences over 6 feet tall are an eyesore. I hope Ontario passes the ban then everyone will follow suit.

Phoenix

Disco Stu said:
I'm not in favor of banning any variety of dog. What I am in favor of, is education and responsibility. That is all.

Which is why I say ban the owners. If you're stupid and/or irresponsible you don't need a pet, especially not a dog. ANY dog can be a bad dog. Just here in Atlanta a few days ago there was a case with a Labrador Retriever (mixed) who attacked a child after the dog escaped from its yard after not being properly restrained or supervised. You shouldn't let your dog just sit around in the yard unsupervised for hours at a time - he doesn't want to be constrained. He really wants to be either hanging out with you or running free with someone with enough time to play with him. Dogs parked in yards develop poor socialization in the best case and go crazy in the worst! They are not solitary animals by nature.

Lil' Dice

Banned
I know quite a few pwople here in Cali who own ferrets.
As for Pit Bulls, they're not 'banned' in California per se, but insurance companies won't grant you home owner insurance if you own a dog on their shit-list (pits, rotts, chow, and often times German Sheperds who are the most confrontational dogs IMO).

Shinobi

spliced said:

Agreed.

Disco Stu said:

:lol Exactly...or "I can't believe he did that!". Shit like that just makes me sick.

If I had my way I'd ban all dogs. But since I'm somewhat reasonable I'd be just fine with a ban on all pit bull breeds. I had one leap at me a few years ago, and the only thing that kept it from latching onto my neck was the grace of God and a flimsy screen door. I don't like rottweilers or German shepards either (had the former trying to get at me that was chained to a weakly mounted pole, and had the latter do a dash across the front lawn to get at me, only to pull up and turn back in), but I think I could live with them. Pit bull breeds on the other hand, I've hated for almost twenty years, and nothing's improved. Fuck 'em...ban 'em, send owners to jail for life if one of those dogs kills someone, burn all the dogs in ovens, I don't care, but something drastic needs to be done. I'm sick to death of hearing another story of some kid getting their face chewed off, or some person getting their throat punctured, or some small dog getting ripped to pieces by a pair of these cocksuckers, and then having these sancitonmonious, self righteous cunt owners come out and say "well, you provked them!". I swear, if an owner said to me while my neice was lying in a pool of blood, I'd kill 'em right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom