• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think of the name Mark?

Tudor

Mark is still a very good, if a bit uninspired, name for a chap to have, though I must admit I am a bit of a sucker for Michael and Mikaela as far as M names for guys go (maybe I just like writing an 'a' followed by an 'e'?)

Edit: new page so may as well add some extra thoughts.

I work with a number of people named Mark and they are all well groomed, reliable individuals which is kind of expected given the names history and connotations, though I would feel bad naming my child something that could lead to not being the only one in class with that name (there were 2 Luke's and 2 Daniel's in my senior year) so I would always go with something a bit 'different' without straying too far from centre. Hence Michael, it's nice, similarly respected as a normal name but a bit less common overall.

Name your kid encyclopædia

Funnily enough I am seriously intending to name my first son Mikaela, as I've always had a soft spot for that name and along with my last name it sounds sort of ... 'Right'?

Mark is still a very good, if a bit uninspired, name for a chap to have, though I must admit I am a bit of a sucker for Michael and Mikaela as far as M names for guys go (maybe I just like writing an 'a' followed by an 'e'?)
Name your kid encyclopædia

My name is Mark.

It's been pretty okay. It's common enough that people probably know another Mark, so I think they're less likely to forget it for me, but not so common I'm in the same room as another Mark that often, but I've been in places with other Marks. Matt is way worse in my generation (I'm 28), though. So many Matts. I think Mark has been a pretty good balance between being common enough that it's sort of impossible to screw up (unlike "unique" names), but not so common you have to deal with several other people with that name, especially starting now.

Hard to screw up the pronunciation if you know even a little bit of English, though ironically when I was really little I had a hard time with R sounds, so I would say something like Maouk. Good times. It's hard to turn into a nickname. Marco? Markus? People still hand me books and go "Here's your book, Mark. Bookmark! Get it?" Spelling is easy, just have to worry about Mark with a "K" instead of Marc with a "C."

"Mark" as a derogatory term I have yet to encounter in real life. I guess it guarantees he won't grow up to be a WWE fan, so it's got that going for it.

I get that names aren't what makes you special and kids with weird names get bullied, but surely we can do better than Mark? There's no personality there at all

I get that names aren't what makes you special and kids with weird names get bullied, but surely we can do better than Mark? There's no personality there at all

Personality comes from the person, not the name.
Parents trying to give their child "a name with personality" just makes things more difficult.

Also, consider this possibility:

exploits_of_a_mom.png

I went with Miles. It's like Mark, but with one more letter and different letters and not as common.

I have a rule against names found in the bible.

CDV13

Dad’s name is Mark, brother in law is Marcus. If you think Mark is older seeming, Marcus is def younger sounding.

That's my middle name!

Why not go with something like Marcus, that way he's got more options than just Mark, you can always call him Mark/Marc, but use Marcus legally. Then he can decide which he prefers when he gets older.

AntoneM

Been rocking that name for 36 years. Rare to have another Mark in a room, but also common enough to be well known. Solid name, memorable and dependable, except when not.

Top Bottom