• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you guys think of the name Mark?

It's good. The world could do with heading back towards traditional names for a while instead of playing this silly game to 1up each other in terms of how unique their child's name is, earning them certain bullying until they're 18.

BTW, I don't get the negative religious comparisons, and I say that as a Atheist.

At the end of the day, if Mark sounds good to you... go with it.

In that regard, hell, I have a little brother named Jacob, and it's not like he's a church going Christian because of the origins of his name. More like he does not give flying F either way.

Biblical
Too common
Generic

I don't know anyone else called Mark, only 1 person called Marcus.
You could say a lot of names are biblical, but it's certainly no David, Michael, Andrew, Matthew etc.

OP, go for it. A number of women I've dated have said they really like the name Mark.

As a bonus, my old man decided to give me the middle name Antony too. Who was a bit of a badass.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
kFGLEr4.gif

What happened here, did he have a stroke?

Mark is still a very good, if a bit uninspired, name for a chap to have, though I must admit I am a bit of a sucker for Michael and Mikaela as far as M names for guys go (maybe I just like writing an 'a' followed by an 'e'?)

Edit: new page so may as well add some extra thoughts.

I work with a number of people named Mark and they are all well groomed, reliable individuals which is kind of expected given the names history and connotations, though I would feel bad naming my child something that could lead to not being the only one in class with that name (there were 2 Luke's and 2 Daniel's in my senior year) so I would always go with something a bit 'different' without straying too far from centre. Hence Michael, it's nice, similarly respected as a normal name but a bit less common overall.

Funnily enough I am seriously intending to name my first son Mikaela, as I've always had a soft spot for that name and along with my last name it sounds sort of ... 'Right'?
You're going to ruin your son's life if you name him Mikaela.

Top Bottom