• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you miss by not having a high-end HDMI 2.1 TV with next generation?

RCU005

During PS2 gen, the novelty was widescreen TVs, so you needed a new TV.
During PS3 gen, the novelty was 1080p and many cheaper TV were 720p max, so you'd miss the high definition.
PS4 Pro was 4K, so again, you needed a new TV.

With PS5 and Xbox One, what do you miss by not having a new TV? Is it just visual stuff, or is this time performance involved?

I bought a 4K TV last year, because I'm not really a super tech guy. I got a PS4 Pro because of the performance gains, but I used to play on a 1080p TV from 2011. However, I'm curious what is the new novelty for this new generation?

There is a marked difference going from 1080p to 4K HDR with a good quality TV, which you've already experienced with your PS4 Pro.

If you go up to HDMI 2.1 then you'll enjoy faster frame rates and smoother gaming. Personally I'd take a wait and see approach as you have a 4K TV already. It's likely the consoles will process 120Hz anyhow and output 60fps, which your current TV will handle anyhow. If you play a ton of racing or FPS games you might just enjoy the benefits of true 120fps gaming all the way through with a new HDMI 2.1 TV. My recommendation is to simply use what you have now and update later as the HDMI2.1 TVs drop in price and games take more advantage of it over those initial next gen years. Also check your current model as it may have a firmware update to support HDMI 2.1 shortly as well.

Depending on your current model there could be no HDR, average HDR and a new TV would improve that colour, clarity and frame rate support. The real question, is that worth $1K-$2K to you? I'd guess you'll be perfectly happy with your current 4K TV for at least the first year or two of next gen.

Last edited:

Banned
well if you have a good HDMi 2.0 TV then almost nothing.

many Samsung HDMi 2.0 TVs support 1440p120hz and Freesync

and since most games that actually target 120fps will most likely run at around 1440p that's more than enough.

the only issue here is that you will have to manually switch to 1440p120hz (or 1080p120hz on the PS5 since it won't support 1440p) every time you wanna play such a game at 120fps, and then switch back if you wanna play in 4k.

but to have the full feature set and no hassle switching video output settings around, you'll need an HDMi 2.1 tv with VRR and 120hz support.
(remember, not every TV with HDMi 2.1 support will support all of its features)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I have a 1440P, 100hz 21:9 VA panel monitor. It’s good but it only has free sync (not Gsync compatible, no) and no VESA mount. Any other 21:9 monitor that’s a true upgrade is quite expensive and not a massive leap. HDR on monitors are not great and there’s no 4K OLED in 21:9.

So I picked up an LG CX 48” OLED TV with 120hz, 4K, HDR, and Gsync. I wanted all that. I’ll just run it in a custom 21:9 resolution. I could do that on a PC monitor but it’ll be more expensive. Bigger than I want but really, monitors are weak in value compared to these TVs. Even if I get burn in beyond the five year warranty, I’m better off.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
120Hz and HDMI 2.1 are the new buzz words for next-gen.

I would say wait at least 2 more years to see if devs even take full advantage of these features.
You don’t have to, there are very good cases of VRR working already on Xbox1X (Tomb Raider) and it’s going to become more and more common where devs are shooting for 60 but can’t maintain it, as they think that’s what the crowd wants.

120Htz gaming is still to be proven on consoles, and likely won’t be the norm past these initial cross gen games.

Kagey K

Banned
Imo they are overly hyped.

If we could enjoy current gen games without those, then they are not needed, just a bonus

Image quality + black levels are much more important to me
If black levels are that important you already own an Oled which will cover the other features as well.

Hostile_18

Banned
As others have said very few games will take advantage of 120fps and if they do likely with graphical or output resolution compromises.

If your in the market for a new tv make sure it has hdmi 2.1 but otherwise a good 2.0 will be more than fine. It's more important your set has good HDR and picture accuracy.

OLED is the single biggest upgrade you can get at the moment, just make sure it's one without tint.

Soodanim

The thread title is both the question and the answer.

What do you miss by not having 2.1?

You miss 2.1. https://www.hdmi.org/spec/hdmi2_1

Enhanced gaming and media features ensure an added level of smooth and seamless motion and transitions for gaming, movies and video. They include:
  • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) reduces or eliminates lag, stutter and frame tearing for more fluid and better detailed gameplay.More Info...
  • Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) allows the ideal latency setting to automatically be set allowing for smooth, lag-free and uninterrupted viewing and interactivity.More Info...
  • Quick Media Switching (QMS) for movies and video eliminates the delay that can result in blank screens before content is displayed.More Info...
  • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduces latency for smoother no-lag gaming, and real-time interactive virtual reality.

Last edited:

Certinty

I mean for one you aren't really missing out on 4K/120hz I say. Barely any games are going to allow for that and even then judging from what we've seen of Dirt 5, the games are going to look quite a bit worse graphically.

CobraXT

Banned
If you have good HDMI 2.0 4K TV you dont need to upgrade, you will miss a few things but its
not that important, 120 Hz will decrease the IQ '' not only for games rendering but the TV itself
will decrease quality'' .. if your TV have Freesync you dont need 2.1 VRR if you have an Xbox
''PS5 will not support Freesync''

Last edited:

scraz

HDMI 2.1 works for the most part. I'm sitting here playing ffxiv 1440p120 and its awesome. I could easily turn it up to 4k120 but at that point the fans go into overdrive and turn my 3080FE into 70c space heater. Problem is, at least on the Sony x900h its a buggy ass mess and sony seems to really hate communicating with people about the state of firmware and such for there TVs. No VRR support till later on 900 as well but i cant say I'm bumed when 1440p120 works as good as it does. Overall id say I'm happy with 2.1 so far but once you see 120fps its REAL hard to go back to anything less then 90fps.

Wait till next year unless you want to be part of the ongoing HDMI 2.1 beta test

Exede

I bought me a Samsung RU7179 last year. I don't feel like upgrading it for a new HDMI standart with VRR. I won't miss much i think.

ZywyPL

Banned
Potentially? A lot. Realistically? I'm not sure if anyone will even notice any difference - most games will be 30 or 60FPS, while 120 will remain just an interesting feature every once in a while. HDR will still be probably utilized in just a handful of titles, but that's available on HDMI2.0 already anyway, so no loss here. VRR again, just like 120Hz, will probably be used in one on every 100 titles at best, so again, no loss, devs will use dynamic res or CBR to hit their targeted framerate instead. Audio will still most likely be limited to 5.1 setup.

Because the reality, over 90% of the userbase will be sitting on a few year old TV sets, that worked so dam fine with current-gen consoles, so why bother replacing them? And devs are fully aware of than, that's what they'll be targeting with their games, to access/please as many potential buyers as possible.

Last edited:

fatty

I’m still stuck at my Panasonic plasma from the 360/PS3 days. So far so good, I just can’t justify buying a new display when this one works fine and the picture looks great.

Rikkori

Technically you could even get 120 hz + VRR on hdmi 2.0b at 1440p & 1080p, so it's really just it missing at 4K. That and RGB 12bit for HDR.

My only wish was that my TV wouldn't bootloop with 120hz when engaging HDR, otherwise I'm fine even without VRR. I got freesync on my monitor already and it's honestly overrated.

The next big things for me are: getting a much bigger TV 55" -> 85" or above, and it being miniled based with a proper algorithm. None of this 150 nits oled bullshit that still gets burn in. :lollipop_wink_tongue:

So about 5 years away or so from those requirements.

Last edited:
20-30 FPS? Next gen? Hell no
Xbox series x has roughly 2x the graphics power of xbox one x so If you want next gen visuals you'll have to settle for 30fps max and 1440p. If you want current gen visuals upscaled 4k at 60fps then thats doable.

Last edited:
The only thing you will miss out on is 120fps gameplay. I'm perfectly fine with upscaled 4K, 30fps games on my PS4 Pro such as Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2 so having native or upscaled 4K images at 60fps on next gen is going to be amazing. I don't need 120fps. Hell I'm just excited for locked 4K, 30fps with Ray Tracing!

poodaddy

HDR is on almost every 4k TV. You don't need 2.1 for it. Infact some TV's that support HDMI 2.1 have lowerpeak brightness than those that don't and fewer zones ex: x900h vs x950h
Absolutely right, I was just mentioning the three features that got me to upgrade to a new tv in general, not necessarily the features exclusive to HDMI 2.1. Sorry about that.

FrankWza

Xbox series x has roughly 2x the graphics power of xbox one x so If you want next gen visuals you'll have to settle for 30fps max and 1440p. If you want current gen visuals upscaled 4k at 60fps then thats doable.
Im confident we’ll get 30 minimum. I was referring to the 20-30 range

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
My TCL I recently got has nearly all of the features of 2.1 so I'm good.

People seem to think you need 2.1 for VRR. You don't.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Hell if you play on a 1080p you won’t even know the 4K part is dynamically scaling.

1080p 60 is FINALLY coming.

Imo they are overly hyped.

If we could enjoy current gen games without those, then they are not needed, just a bonus

Image quality + black levels are much more important to me

Tons of people like McDonalds because it's cheap and gives you calories, others enjoy nicer dining because you get QUALITY and flavor.

Buy a cheap 4k TV miss features, have them shoddily implemented, play the panel lottery, risk it dying early the list goes on.

Give me better image quality at a lower resolution any day.

120hz isn't for movie watching, the ideal for movies is 24hz(closer to 23.99...) this will always be the way for people that actually enjoy movies the way they're meant(by directors) to be viewed.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

HDR is on almost every 4k TV. You don't need 2.1 for it. Infact some TV's that support HDMI 2.1 have lowerpeak brightness than those that don't and fewer zones ex: x900h vs x950h

My biggest issue is Peak Brightness, any upgrade over my 930x is a downgrade besides the LG CX but it is a downgrade in peak brightness, sure you receive the perfect blacks that allow the image to "pop" more but at 750nits 10%, not worth it yet, the only upgrade for some is if you do not have a TV that is currently 4k. Hdmi 2.1 is great but not yet. wait for the next models to come out , this is only for those that currently do not have a good 4k hdr , DV tv and want to upgrade right now.

Last edited:
I bought a 3D tv for ps3.

6ZQ8aBMl.jpg

Top Bottom