• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about the term "hate crimes"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

So, there is a new bill (HR 1592) coming down the pike that attempts to clean up the language of "hate crimes" and definitively spell out what groups are "eligible" to be hated against.

From what I understand, it will allow the federal government to step in and prosecute/investigate anyone committing a "hate crime". Giving local/state authorities more resources to get longer sentences for the perps. (Someone correct me if I am wrong .. I am going on second hand info).

But, in general, do you even agree with this idea of a "hate crime"? What makes the disgusting human beings who killed Matthew Shepard worse than the Virgina Tech Killer in the eyes of the law?

Does someone who vandalises a minority persons car with a slur deserve more punishment than the guy who vandalizes a passenger train? The whole concept seems kind of dumb.

way more

The law views unprovoked attacks as more severe and considers the motivation of the crime. It's the same reason we have first, second, third degree murders as well as manslaughter. Yes I agree. It's assault which is both unprovoked and premeditated.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Actually, the concept isnt dumb. If the motivation for the crime is purely the persons background/ethnicity/religion/ etc, then the entire community feels violated when that individual or group of individuals are violated. Its taking racism and bigotry to the next level, and perpetrating something actionable. The close-mindedness and naivity of the 'it doesnt matter/theres no difference' responses is ridiculous. You think theres no difference when a mosque/church/synagogue etc is graffitied with threats/slurs specific to that religion than when any other public building is vandalized?

I'm liberal and I'm against tagging certain crimes per se as hate crimes but then I'm also against the loose distinctions we often make in degrees of murder or when we put extra special laws in place against killing cops for example.

That being said those laws exist so I don't think hate crimes are any more "dumb" than those laws which you don't tend to hear people whining about.

theBishop

Banned
i don't have a strong feeling about it.

but i have heard an argument that says a racially/gender/sexually motivated crime is not limited the crime, but is also a statement to others who may fit in these groups.

In other words, if someone kills a man because he is a homosexual, its intent is a warning to other homosexuals.

I think there's something to this, but at the same time, all violent crime sends a message to others that they are not safe.

The term in of itself is somewhat ridiculous. As my law professor would say, when you kill someone it's never a love crime lol.

mj1108

Watermelon_Drop271.gif

theBishop

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
You know what term I hate?

Reverse Racism

What the hell does that even mean?

It means "Racism".

the formula for racism looks like this:

R(h) = |h|

Where h is a total amount of hate. If h is positive, it is hatred towards minorities. If h goes negative (i.e. reverse racism), it's hared toward the majority.

But as you can see, racism itself takes the absolute value, so in the end, the racism factor is the same.

Gigglepoo

theBishop said:
But as you can see, racism itself takes the absolute value, so in the end, the racism factor is the same.

I like your style

I was talking about from a linguistic standpoint, though. I don't like that Reverse Racism is an accepted term. Discriminating against another person because of their race is racism, even if they are white.

Mute

Banned
I've got no problem with it. It doesn't seem to be something that's overused or anything like that. Racists in my eyes are the most pointless thing on Earth, and anything that discourages stupid behavior is fine with me.

theBishop said:
It means "Racism".

the formula for racism looks like this:

R(h) = |h|

Where h is a total amount of hate. If h is positive, it is hatred towards minorities. If h goes negative (i.e. reverse racism), it's hared toward the majority.

:lol :lol

It's funny cuz it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom