• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think are the biggest mistakes that have happened in gaming?

ReyBrujo

Personal opinions, obviously.

Sonic going 3D.
12 hours of full motion video in Metal Gear Solid 4.
N64 cartridges (note, not saying that the mistake was not joining forces with Sony, they wanted insane licenses fees).

I. Randomly generated content. AI and roguelikes are creatively bankrupt in every sense of the word.

Truth be told roguelikes are not "randomly" but procedural, if it was randomly you might eventually enter a maze where everything are walls and where you couldn't move at all. Considering that procedural generation started when computers didn't have the capacity to store enough information, I believe it's one of the brilliant points of early gaming (Elite says hi).

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Many devs just make movies and not enough games. Overfocus on graphics and specs and not enough on good stories and good engaging gameplay.
Sony. It's legit just Sony. Even remedy has a Max Payne remake in the works.

Stop taking the actions of Sony and extrapolating it to the entire gaming industry.

Nintendo not going with CD. Also I think Sony wanted to become a competitor not just a supplier of hardware, so I think the Play Station cd add on would have been a foot in the door, and they would have released their own console eventually.

Hudo

If we really get down to it, it all can be traced back to the first Pong machine. That's the original sin.

Boss Mog

DEI is way above anything else in my book. Enjoy your new female protags people:

5f9d7aac165714a791eaaafd7ea76c5951dc5267_2_690x276.jpeg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
the focus on graphics
As someone who hates high fidelity graphics, I may disagree. The pretty pictures helped grow the industry by appealing to the normies. If games stayed low fidelity, gameplay over graphics, I think the industry would be significantly smaller than it is today.

Maybe.

avin

I think DEI in gaming just means companies believe the DEI types spend more money than some of you lot do. Which would mean that until that changes, I don't expect anything else to.

avin

Last edited:

Red5

As someone who hates high fidelity graphics, I may disagree. The pretty pictures helped grow the industry by appealing to the normies. If games stayed low fidelity, gameplay over graphics, I think the industry would be significantly smaller than it is today.

Maybe.

That wouldn't be such a terrible thing to be honest, IMO gaming's golden age was 90's until the end of the PS2.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Microsoft's E3 2013 - all of it. The always on-line DRM plans, ambiguity towards trading and lending, condescension from Mattrick (sp?), the bizarre focus on cable television as almost their entire audience was moving away from it, charging $100 more than the competition for a slightly weaker console. Then Jack Tretton and the other PlayStation execs paraded around on stage and in briefs twisting the knife with big-ass grins on their faces.

The Xbox brand never recovered.

Last edited:

Ownage

Nah, StarCraft Remastered, Diablo 2, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil prove remakes are great and in the case of Final Fantasy and Resident Evil expand on the lore.
Lore exploration I am all in favor of. But if the remake is a remaster, no thanks.

Fbh

Not the biggest but I never liked how at some point we started to see length as the only metric for value.
And yes I know you don't want to spend your hard earned cash on an 8 hours long "one and done" experience, to be honest neither do I. But many of these 40 hours game could easily be 25 and still be worth it, we could go back to games actually having replay value with stuff like meaningful choices, well done higher difficulty modes, cool unlocks, etc.
I still replay older games from time to time because they aren't a big time investment and they are well paced and fun to replay. On the other hand while I enjoyed a game like GOW Ragnarok, I'll likely never replay it.

Maybe.

I think this is true to a certain extent, but at some point last gen IMO we reached the point of diminishing returns and I'm not seeing much correlation between graphics and sales.
You look at some recent success stories like Helldivers 2, Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldur's Gate 3, etc and while they look good and have nice direction none of them are setting crazy visual standards.

Closer

- Sega and the 1-2-3 combo 32x, Saturn and Dreamcast

- Everyone upset by woke culture, because they can't see they're the reason woke culture exists, as they're both sides of the same coin.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Mobile gaming turning games into slot machines.
There are weird takes in here, but this takes the cake. For a long time the best gaming was all done on machines that had literal slots that you had to put money in.

gothmog

Gold Member
There are weird takes in here, but this takes the cake. For a long time the best gaming was all done on machines that had literal slots that you had to put money in.
Sorry. I'm talking about the gambling and time speed up for money aspects. The predatory nature of some arcade games also sucked but generally you just avoided the games that really ate all your quarters.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

Gaming has been on a path of growth for a long time, so maybe no mistake seems that big yet. But the biggest mistake that the industry makes over and over is growing studios too big too fast and doing dumb things as a result.

Red5

I guess the point is turning traditional Single Player or Multi Player games into Gacha games filled with MTX, which is mostly 90% of mobile games.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Online multiplayer focused games with tacked on SP, 2 weapon limits and regen health trend after halo, focusing on profit after launch in general whether that's games as a service or free to play

The western gaming media... no question.

They're a cesspool of aggressively idiotic, rabid wankers.

Aggregate review sites like Metacritic legitimized them giving them far too much power and influence over our industry, and publishers perpetuate their BS by giving them a path to getting games development roles so that their rot can degrade western studios from the inside out.

Fuck em all...

With a vanishingly small number of exceptions like some YouTubes, Geoff Keighly, Alana Pierce etc

I realize this is the dumb shit take thread but come on.
The gameplay has no purpose or goal. Presentation is not cohesive. Window dressing cannot hide that. Feel free to waste your money and time to get nowhere in roguelikes. It has pretty much turned the entire indie scene to shit. Soon enough it will turn many bigger titles to shit too.

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
The western gaming media... no question.

They're a cesspool of aggressively idiotic, rabid wankers.

Aggregate review sites like Metacritic legitimized them giving them far too much power and influence over our industry, and publishers perpetuate their BS by giving them a path to getting games development roles so that their rot can degrade western studios from the inside out.

Fuck em all...

With a vanishingly small number of exceptions like some YouTubes, Geoff Keighly, Alana Pierce etc
Yep driven more by if the ideology of the game agrees with them and the message they want to push than the actual games

bobone

Games as a service.

The time span for GTA, GTA London, GTA 2, GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories, Vice City Stories, GTA 4, Lost and Damned, Chinatown Wars, Gay Tony.
That was 12 years.

GTA 5 will be 12 years old next year.

You can't possibly tell me this is a good thing for gamers.

Destiny. The progenitor of gaas that lead to Fortnite etc that sucked away all the consumer money that could have gone to single player games.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
32x, Saturn and Dreamcast never should have happened

"Super" Sega CDX with BC with Sega CD/Genesis and Master System and then Sega DVDX in 2000

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
In terms of the outcome it was definitely E.T.. In 1982.

For me personally it was the App Store, which divided the industry and drove everyone further apart, pretty much permanently.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Microsoft passing on GTAIII

Bernie Stolar’s “Five Star” concept approval process while at SCEA which prevented Arc the Lad from coming over until a PS2 compilation and nearly cost the US MGS.

The Sega Katana/Dural war.

Top Bottom