• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think are the biggest mistakes that have happened in gaming?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Xbox TV show where they talked about no used games. Killed their market share lead at the time.

Sony daggers them the next day.

hinch7

Xbox TV show where they talked about no used games. Killed their market share lead at the time.

Sony daggers them the next day.
That and the reveal of the PS4's and its price. Which was a massive $100 less than the Xbox One.

And what we got, was the next Sega Saturn. A more expensive console with inferior hardware.. bundled with an expensive peripherial; on a dying trend. And ofc the DRM debacle with Don Mattrick on top of that.

SHA

dSisIP2.jpeg
The Good, The Bad And The Ugly.

SHA

Muricans and Euros not buying Sega Saturns and Dreamcasts and their many amazing games in droves because they fell for the paid marketing overhyping the competition and slandering these.
Mark Cerny is a magician with Arkane stage just like Asta from Black Clover, look at what he did in the early years of his career. He's a powerful individual and able to stand till Segas last years.

Last edited:

IAmRei

industry quest for "realistic graphic" will led to "immersive" route
which also ballooned the cost of development and now industry facing difficulties to keep "realistic"

also mobile F2P is big contender of the faulty industry now

Scotty W

I love the Saturn, but it was the biggest mistake. First they spoiled their market with the Sega CD and 32X. In terms of production costs, they had to buy the cd drives from other companies. And the way they jerry rigged the 3d. It can’t be said too often: Sega is a stupid company.

Hudo

I see your pad, and raise you. The CD32 pad!

It was horrific. After a short while the D pad disc would snap which meant it would spin on it's own axis, you'd spend 10% of your time playing and 90% trying to re spin it back to position

Pure bunk

HaBJyec.jpeg
I can feel the shittiness of that controller just by looking at that photo.

Last edited:

cireza

I. Randomly procedurally generated content. AI and roguelikes are creatively bankrupt in every sense of the word.
This implies that Shiren the Wanderer is creatively bankrupt and this is totally wrong, it is one of the most creative series out there, and the best roguelike by a mile as far as I am concerned.

My Top 3 picks for the topic :
- Huge open-worlds : haven't played a single one that was worth the time required. Bloated, busywork, tedious, infinite checklist of shitty tasks to do.
- Skill-trees : brain-dead feature most of the time, no real choice offered, simply filling a stupid tree to raise whatever stats.
- Crafting : a poor excuse to have the user pick up shit every 2 seconds, in order to convert shit into money or other shit, no real meaningful choice most of the time.

Last edited:

Majukun

As someone who hates high fidelity graphics, I may disagree. The pretty pictures helped grow the industry by appealing to the normies. If games stayed low fidelity, gameplay over graphics, I think the industry would be significantly smaller than it is today.

Maybe.
we would have better games and less production values, aka less budget required, aka the industry could have prospered even with a smaller user-base.

Has been a thing since forever and was arguably worse in the 90s compared to now
we didn't lose any features in the 90's 'cause of it, so no.

Shut0wen

Personally id say free to play is the worst thing, it invented the GAAS which has spread to full retail games, literally a waste of everyones time

Shut0wen

Easy, the Wii and it being the gateway for peasantry into gaming, both when it comes to gamers themselves and developers. Gaming should have never gotten as big of an industry as it did.
Why? Both ms and nintendo benefited from each other because of the wiis success

Defo Microsoft's Xbox One reveal / launch.
Proper testing of the Xbox 360 (RROD)
PS3 had a similar issue (yellow light of death). I remember my PS3 had it and I'd never even heard of it before. A local guy who was into electronics etc ended up fixing it for me by resoldering some shit.

BlackTron

I agree and I don't. Nintendo could simply have included CD in the N64 made by anyone, but by the time they had flirted Sony into releasing their own game console by contracting them and pissing them off, maybe they should have just used Sony. Surely choosing them as manufacturer for your disc drive would be a cheaper way to eliminate Playstation than...oh wait, they never did.

I see your pad, and raise you. The CD32 pad!

It was horrific. After a short while the D pad disc would snap which meant it would spin on it's own axis, you'd spend 10% of your time playing and 90% trying to re spin it back to position

Pure bunk

HaBJyec.jpeg
I'm feeling physically uncomfortable imagining me holding this controller... Let alone pressing the buttons.

Truly a marvelous D-Pad... Adds a additional mini-game to every game you play.

Gamers being sheep
1&2: GTA & Morrowind/Skyrim and as another thing Souls games being successes!
Even those have a lot of points one can criticize, but the drove of worse copycats and mindless implementations of some of the supposed lessons some dev took from them, made a ton of games worse.
3: Motion/pointer gaming not being developed much after wii fell off a cliff and VR failing to really go anywhere with anything so it won't spill over to regular games anytime soon.

Publisher side: Probably MS's inability to actually stick with one strategy. They have the money to fail though.
So Sega fumbling their number 2 role, exactly when new players entered the then still fast growing market and them needing success to survive was sort of a bigger deal. I personally think the PS1 is pretty shite but it did what Sega needed to do and a then outsider should not have had the better ideas around a CD drive.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

I can feel the shittiness of that controller just by looking at that photo.
I certainly got the feeling the designers came up with it after drinking eight pints and drawing it on a napkin in a pub at last orders.

I'm feeling physically uncomfortable imagining me holding this controller... Let alone pressing the buttons.

Truly a marvelous D-Pad... Adds a additional mini-game to every game you play.
I've still got around five of them, at least 4 have a defective D pad :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It truly was a marvel.

I've still got around five of them, at least 4 have a defective D pad :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It truly was a marvel.
You have 5?...

I feel like your house would cast status ailments on anyone that comes close to them. The ones with the defective D-Pad would cast Lvl 5 Death.

My main guy is still the N64 controller (I would rather not play any video games for a year, then play 1 N64 game for 30 minutes).

But the CD32 "controller" gave me some perspective :messenger_smiling:

What are you smoking? It worked fine with games designed around it.
You are totally right.

It's the "designed around it" part that is the issue for me, because I hate it.

Just like I completely avoided games that were 100% Stylus on the Nintendo DS (Even though it was very cool, I absolutely hated having to use it).

I appreciate Nintendo's ability and confidence in taking risks and experimenting with out of the box ideas.

But my brain loves this, and hates anything that isn't this

PlayStation_Dual_Analog.png

(Since a few are understandably missing the point, I didn't mean that I love this controller, I don't. I mean this type of controller)

I like "Boring but Practical" design, when it comes to controlling a game.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Nintendo Wii

This is difficult to get behind given Wii was a much greater success than its predecessor and achieved greater sales than either competing console of the time.

If I could go back in time and have Nintendo make a different system instead, I don't think I would. We might not be riding high on Switch today. I agree with Miyamoto's past comment that it should have had HDMI but I don't think that was one of the biggest mistakes in gaming. Nowhere close to RROD or just making any decision as Sega mid 90s lol

BlackTron

Easy, the Wii and it being the gateway for peasantry into gaming, both when it comes to gamers themselves and developers. Gaming should have never gotten as big of an industry as it did.

The casual market was going to end up on a mtx drip feed dopamine addiction through their iphone no matter what and if anything Nintendo has just been dampening the inevitable descent with cogent alternatives like Mario and Animal Crossing.

BlackTron

You are totally right.

It's the "designed around it" part that is the issue for me, because I hate it.

Just like I completely avoided games that were 100% Stylus on the Nintendo DS (Even though it was very cool, I absolutely hated having to use it).

I appreciate Nintendo's ability and confidence in taking risks and experimenting with out of the box ideas.

But my brain loves this, and hates anything that isn't this

PlayStation_Dual_Analog.png

I like "Boring but Practical" design, when it comes to controlling a game.

We would have had a hard time with multiplayer back then. I can't stand the PS controller for any game that doesn't primarily use the d-pad (so against the whole point of a 3D controller, but fine for SOTN). While I use the 64 controller to this very day.

I don't know if if can be considered "mistake" as my example was in fact a success but on a very selfish note I don't think it should have happened this way.

- Call of Duty success: It alienated many franchises that weren't action games to a point where they believed they needed to become action games to chase that COD crowd. Splinter Cell and Resident Evil(Capcom said in an interview that they are trying to compete against COD) are the worst victims in my opinion.

We would have had a hard time with multiplayer back then. I can't stand the PS controller for any game that doesn't primarily use the d-pad (so against the whole point of a 3D controller, but fine for SOTN). While I use the 64 controller to this very day.
I totally understand.

Also, I'm not a fan of the PS1 controller myself, I just used it as a example of the only type of controller I can stand playing.

Simple and boring ("Boring" meaning, not taking risks, or adding any gimmicks, interesting ones or otherwise), but practical.

BlackTron

I totally understand.

Also, I'm not a fan of the PS1 controller myself, I just used it as a example of the only type of controller I can stand playing.

Simple and boring ("Boring" meaning, not taking risks, or adding any gimmicks, interesting ones or otherwise), but practical.

When 64 came out controllers didn't even have 3D thumbsticks yet, which are now standard; the Dual Shock added a second stick, which is also standard issue today.

So I'd say both of these controllers are bad examples. Maybe a Xbox Series? Now THERE'S a simple, boring, practical, safe controller.

TBH I think really the problem with the 64 controller is that it looks goofy and has too many handles, not that it's actually bad to use or full of gimmicks like motion control or touch pads -I'd say the control stick is pretty fundamental. But there is no need to have to pick between stick and d-pad and thereby add an additional "shoulder" button. The number of people I saw holding it improperly at demo kiosks in 1996 made me learn something. People ignored the middle handle and stretched their thumb across. Sure once you held it correctly and ignored the entire left side of the controller it was ergonomically superior to the incorrigible Dual Shock but if you need a person or page in a manual to explain how to hold your controller to the masses, I concede that you have made a dumbass mistake.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The casual market was going to end up on a mtx drip feed dopamine addiction through their iphone no matter what and if anything Nintendo has just been dampening the inevitable descent with cogent alternatives like Mario and Animal Crossing.
Perhaps. But perhaps this wouldn’t have jumped to consoles as well. Phone games weren’t invented with the iPhone you know.

BlackTron

Why? Both ms and nintendo benefited from each other because of the wiis success

I don't think MS benefited. It offered competition for Xbox 360, which pressured them into going down the Kinect path. Wii's influence was literally the beginning of the end for Xbox.

Top Bottom