• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think each next gen console will cost?

thelastword

Banned
I can spend $600 for a knock all your walls PS5 box, I'm willing to make that investment for 7 years of enjoyment of the best kit they can put together at that price...…..Yet for a really powerful system at a still mass market price, I think $500 crosses all the checks and balances…..

For those claiming 400 bucks is a certainty, what corner gets cut then? You gotta sacrifice something. For the GPU power, CPU power, and storage we all are expecting next gen, which one are you willing to sacrifice to make it a 400 dollar box? Because otherwise, without sacrificing. something or cutting a corner somewhere I have no idea how we are going to get all these features under 500 bucks

edit

or will both be sold at substantial loss? (I have a hard time believing this will happen as well)

Last edited:

Caffeine

now I have to adjust my previous prediction due to changes in part costs. like memory has declined a lot which affects ram/vram/ssd
X = $499
PsV= $499
Lockhart= $399

For those claiming 400 bucks is a certainty, what corner gets cut then? You gotta sacrifice something. For the GPU power, CPU power, and storage we all are expecting next gen, which one are you willing to sacrifice to make it a 400 dollar box? Because otherwise, without sacrificing. something or cutting a corner somewhere I have no idea how we are going to get all these features under 500 bucks

edit

or will both be sold at substantial loss? (I have a hard time believing this will happen as well)
Hardware will be a loss in general recouped by services and software sales.
Launch attach rate with a piece of software is 1 to 1, anyone buying a lockhart is forced into digital, so everyone buys halo infinite, due to buying digitally microsoft gets the full cut instead of retailer costs per game sold. same is true for sony on any ip they are releasing.
on top of that lets not forget that last gen still goes on to sell for about 2-3 more years for people not willing to dish out 400+ where they make profits.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
now I have to adjust my previous prediction due to changes in part costs. like memory has declined a lot which affects ram/vram/ssd
X = $499
PsV= $499
Lockhart= $399

Hardware will be a loss in general recouped by services and software sales.
Launch attach rate with a piece of software is 1 to 1, anyone buying a lockhart is forced into digital, so everyone buys halo infinite, due to buying digitally microsoft gets the full cut instead of retailer costs per game sold. same is true for sony on any ip they are releasing.
Lockhart is dead in the water if it's just $100 shy of the Scarlett...…….A $299 Lockhart is a much more reasonable ask...

Caffeine

Lockhart is dead in the water if it's just $100 shy of the Scarlett...…….A $299 Lockhart is a much more reasonable ask...
general consumers wont know its weaker than an xbox one x. im shocked the S digital even sold well. over just buying a standard S at about the same price. Maybe 349 somewhere in that ballpark.

Last edited:

ZombieTech

Neo Member
Hopefully a couple things they keep in mind...

1. Can get similar or better spec'ed PCs for around $400-$600 (with optional possibility of upgrading individual components later on).
2. Will be making back a lot on licensing, partnerships, promotionals, etc.

So, with those two things in mind, hopefully they'll be logically competitive on price. Especially XBox; now that Game Pass Ultimate and most MS first-party games also work on Windows PC, they could potentially end up competing against themselves if they're not careful. xD

ClearMind

Report me for console warring (Xbot, Xbro etc.)
No more than 500. If they are willing to eat some more loses maybe 450 with Sony having a higher chance of doing that.

Last edited:

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Seems reasonable. I just worry for confusion from shoppers, especially between Xbox One X and Xbox Series X on shelves at the same time.

I think the $300 dollar (EST) difference in my price structure should dissuade most consumers from making an ill advised purchase. Plus I think the messaging from Microsoft will be clear.

I agree that 100 bucks isnt the difference maker but the rumors suggest that there will be a big enough difference in specs.

The SeX won't cost a penny more than the PS5. Spencer made that clear in a past interview, considers price and later launch the major reasons why One failed.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Even if SeX and PS5 launch at $600, amazingly Neo Geo had a home price of $650, and 3DO was $700! And that was 25-30 years ago.

There is just no way that they are going to come in at $599. That is just way too much for a lot of people. Without considering anything on leaked specs, the most they could do is $549. Although, I really think it will be $499. That ‘4’ instead of a ‘5’ on the front of the price is BIG in the mentality of buyers.

I think we can look at last gen though a good mark. PS4 launched with a modern-ish APU at its heart, but nothing else new in tech. HDD was standard, drive was standard, other capabilities were standard. It launched at $399.

Xbox One launched with essentially the same tech (slight variation with the RAM, and slightly smaller APU), but added a ton of features and cost with the Kinect. It launched at $499.

With the addition of SSD cache/storage, we are looking at a similar launch as the PS4/XBO with the APU’s (except modernized), but that added new feature is going to push it to $499.

Last edited:
Look, I totally agree with you. I’m just saying “the masses” won’t spend that money on a new game console, which is ridiculous given the value you’re getting, as you said. $500 for series X stats will be a fantastic deal, there’s no question.
Now it’s time to wait and see what Sony’s strategy is and where they place themselves in the market.
PS3 for $599 was a fantastic deal too. But that didn't matter to the masses because they don't care that it was sold at way below cost.

edit

I could see them releasing the console with a 500GB SSD instead of 1-2TB to get the price down.

Bigfroth

No way either one comes in at 599$ U.S dollars lol that price point is toxic in this industry.
499$ PS5
499$ Xbox specs for both basically the same.

VAL0R

Banned
You think the high end Xbox could be cheaper than PS5? I can't see that personally.
Why not? MS has a far greater ability to eat losses than Sony does.

Edit:
$499.99 XSX
Option 2: XSX goes just under Sony at $474.99 so their marketing can be "more powerful and more affordable", helping Xbox to make rapid market gains early, as they are able to eat huge losses all year long (2021) with the hope of making up for it with Game Pass subs in the long game.
$499.99 PS5
$349.99 XSS (Lockhart)

Last edited:
Why not? MS has a far greater ability to eat losses than Sony does.

Edit:
$499.99 XSX
Option 2: XSX goes just under Sony at $474.99 so their marketing can be "more powerful and more affordable", helping Xbox to make rapid market gains early, as they are able to eat huge losses all year long (2021) with the hope of making up for it with Game Pass subs in the long game.
$499.99 PS5
$349.99 XSS (Lockhart)
Good luck to Xbox, if their battleplan is to take massive losses. I doubt it though.

Achillias

The Xbox Series X will be between a 499-599 price point the PS5 399-449. And I don't mind it. A console last much longer than a smartphone (which cost more). So if it is 600 I still would buy it from the first day of release.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
Good luck to Xbox, if their battleplan is to take massive losses. I doubt it though.
Eat early losses to reap huge gains later. Selling consoles at a loss is commonplace. The PS3 was sold at a huge loss. The initial price of manufacture per unit would make jaws drop, according to a recent interview with Phil Harrison.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned

“I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming chief, in an interview with The Verge. “If you remember the beginning of this generation we were a hundred dollars more expensive and yes, we were less powerful. And we started Project Scarlett with this leadership team in place with a goal of having market success.”

Poordevil

I am expecting the PS5 to cost $500. Any less than that and I am going to be pretty suspicious about it being a significant upgrade from current gen. I think more than $500 is squeezing the consumer a little too hard.

Eat early losses to reap huge gains later. Selling consoles at a loss is commonplace. The PS3 was sold at a huge loss. The initial price of manufacture per unit would make jaws drop, according to a recent interview with Phil Harrison.
Sony learned their lesson from PS3. If Microsoft want to follow PS3's footsteps, Sony would welcome them.

ZombieTech

Neo Member
I am expecting the PS5 to cost $500. Any less than that and I am going to be pretty suspicious about it being a significant upgrade from current gen. I think more than $500 is squeezing the consumer a little too hard.
Maybe, hardware is lot like a new car driving off the lot and instantly losing value. Hardware is like that leaving the assembly-line; the hardware they plan to use now will become cheaper the closer we get to release as newer hardware comes along.

(Which is in itself one of the cons of consoles.)

Top Bottom