• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think Microsoft needs to do to be more successful next-gen?

Dnice1

Flop? Based on what metric. Sony is going to sell more consoles that's a given. Microsoft just needs to execute on their vision. If they start to putting out quality games on Gamepass constantly the product will sell itself. Its all about the games.

plip.plop

XsX and PS5 both have a chance to fail next-gen for the same reason, price.
What's the point for MS to have the most powerful system if the majority of consumers don't feel that it's worth it, Conversely, PS coming off a successful generation doesn't guarantee strong sales either. PS2 was a resounding success and PS3 did not really move systems until several price drops.

Codes 208

Yeah I see.

But if XBOX come with great games ? The balance can change ? (Not surpass PS5 but sales like +60/70M ?)

The question is first party Games really matters ?
Its quite possible but even under phil this gen, xbox has talked more than walk. And the the one was moving on from the 369 which had a very positive position whereas the xbox one currently doesnt (or atleast not to the same degree as the 360) so the xbox series x is already at a bit of a disadvantage. Next month’s event could be the make or break moment for this gen for xbox.

Last edited:
It will make the loyalists happier than they were with the Xbox One, there's a lot more to shout about this time. Lots of improvements and great services. However it will do worse sales wise than the Xbox One.

Also putting all their games on PC day and date is a mistake if they want to shift units, not that I'm complaining.
Worse sells than the Xbox one? You mean lifetime sells? Seriously? What is this based on? I strongly argue the exact opposite. Especially with significantly more 1st party studios,the most powerful next gen console(no resolutiongate) and budget Lockhart with the biggest console exclusive for any platform launching (Halo Infinite)

You make zero sense

Last edited:
giphy.webp

Price it $100 less than the PS5 and throw in a free AAA game like Halo Infinite or something else with a big name, maybe include 3 months of gamepass, and it will sell like gangbusters.

if the value proposition is good enough, people will buy one and get the PS5 after the price comes down. My feeling is that Sony may overprice like with PS3.

Price it $100 less than the PS5 and throw in a free AAA game like Halo Infinite or something else with a big name, maybe include 3 months of gamepass, and it will sell like gangbusters.

if the value proposition is good enough, people will buy one and get the PS5 after the price comes down. My feeling is that Sony may overprice like with PS3.

What? Price the XSX a hundred dollars cheaper with Halo Infinte? Its the most powerful next gen console with Halo Infinite launching at the same time. MS does not need to do that. XSX will be limited and will sell out at launch either way.

Just having the more powerful console being at the same price as PS5 is a good spot for MS vs 2013 where XB1 was 50% weaker at hundred bucks more.

Halo Infinite will move a ton of consoles as long as it turns out good.

Kagey K

Banned
Sales wise there’s no way it sells less the the XB1, stronger hardware then the PS5, if 3rd party games show some significant (or even insignificant differences) they will win over some of the people that went to PS4 because of 900p vs 1080. Especially if price is on par or cheaper then PS5.

Revenue wise expect them to see significant growth next gen with how they are branching out and trying to pull more gamers into their ecosystem.

If Halo ends up being a return to form and the slip space engine does what 343 says it does, combined with a couple other big launch titles, Xbox could find themselves in a favourable position at the start of next gen.

I will revise and rethink this after we see the games in July, and again after the dates and prices of both systems are announced.

Edit: Posted when the title was still will the next Xbox flop.

Last edited:

GHG

Worse sells than the Xbox one? You mean lifetime sells? Seriously? What is this based on? I strongly argue the exact opposite. Especially with significantly more 1st party studios,the most powerful next gen console(no resolutiongate) and budget Lockhart with the biggest console exclusive for any platform launching (Halo Infinite)

You make zero sense

Well let's see, its just my opinion based on the current circumstances and the situation that's developed across this generation. This is the picture at the moment:

Halo isn't as big as it once was and it will also be available on the Xbox One and PC which diminishes the need to buy a new Xbox to play it. Lockhart also isn't confirmed as yet (although if it does arrive it will change the dynamic dependant on how it is priced and it's value proposition).

Not cutting the cord on the Xbox One and forcing migration to the newer machine could prove to be a big mistake.

I think they stand to do better financially and, as a division, be better positioned for the future (which will be services and subscriptions whether we like it or not), but they will do worse on the hardware side of things.

What? Price the XSX a hundred dollars cheaper with Halo Infinte? Its the most powerful next gen console with Halo Infinite launching at the same time. MS does not need to do that. XSX will be limited and will sell out at launch either way.

Just having the more powerful console being at the same price as PS5 is a good spot for MS vs 2013 where XB1 was 50% weaker at hundred bucks more.

Halo Infinite will move a ton of consoles as long as it turns out good.

I once bought an Xbox 360 with a game and 3 months of Xbox Live for $100 less than a PS3, so I’m basically suggesting a similar marketing plan to ones they’ve used before.

scalman

How about games, yh i think they just need games. You know like thats why we buy one console or another.
They need to show us event full of new games , new ips , old ips back , gameplay , so then we could play all that on pc when it comes out.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
How about games, yh i think they just need games. You know like thats why we buy one console or another.
They have lots of those already. Series X is going launch with far more games playable on the system then their competitors. So that surely can’t be it.

Last edited:

Dolomite

Microsoft will do fine. They are likely going to have a lower price and they are going to have 4 generations of games available day one if their backward compatibility works as promised and they also have gamepass which will have a ton of games due to BAckward compatibility . They won’t be number one but Microsoft is playing the long game now developing their ecosystem which is run off the Azure system, which is one of their actual core businesses.

Microsoft is one of the top three companies in the world across all industries, they are valued at 1.3 trillion dollars.. Sony lives or dies by PS5, I want Sony to succeed but people thinking Microsoft won’t have some success this gen are crazy.

This. At the end of the day, PlayStation is keeping Sony alive and youthful. Microsoft could literally afford to eat shit for the next 3 gens before bowing out completely

Last edited:
I think it's already guaranteed to be more successful than the Xbox One.

IMO, relative performance in 3rd party games is a LARGE part of the equation.

Xbox going hard on Kinect and allowing the PS4 to be more powerful was a big part of why it struggled.

We will be seeing Digital Foundry report that 99% of all multiplats are higher res/higher framerate/better effects/all of the above on XSX. That's going to have a positive effect on sales.

scalman

July.

People want to pretend the big Sony reveal is the same as MS indie reveal in May.
Lots indie games where on ps5 too.
You have one chance to present new console so do it right.
Sony will show more in july august as well, so well see.

Kagey K

Banned
Lots indie games where on ps5 too.
You have one chance to present new console so do it right.
Sony will show more in july august as well, so well see.
What are they going to show?

They went almost 2 years out at least on 1st party and almost the entire gen for 1 3rd party.

They already took a step in the right direction, scooping up more 1st party studios. What they really have to do is let those studios make games they want to make. Also, greenlight games that may not make a big profit, but are statement games. I think having a massive corporation behind them is a pro, but also a con. Massive corporations care deeply about profit margins, as they should, but sometimes you gotta be able to take a small loss for some of that shine.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Two things:

1. They need a loyal fanbase like Playstation and Nintendo that has huge brand loyalty.

2. They do need to release more games.

treemk

Banned
People look at XBOX in a vacuum, but for the most part PC is Microsoft's platform. It's so big that it is the elephant in the room and people pretend it's not there. Steam, Epic and Origin are not platforms. They are storefronts and digital downloaders that install on Microsoft's platform. Making XBOX an extension of that is a smart move.

scalman

What are they going to show?

They went almost 2 years out at least on 1st party and almost the entire gen for 1 3rd party.
I mean more gameplay not trailers.
Newest xbox trailer shows like 2 games and one of them is ac valhalla. Whats more to say ... so yh waiting fot forza halo maybe fable.

Microsoft will do fine. They are likely going to have a lower price and they are going to have 4 generations of games available day one if their backward compatibility works as promised and they also have gamepass which will have a ton of games due to BAckward compatibility . They won’t be number one but Microsoft is playing the long game now developing their ecosystem which is run off the Azure system, which is one of their actual core businesses.

Microsoft is one of the top three companies in the world across all industries, they are valued at 1.3 trillion dollars.. Sony lives or dies by PS5, I want Sony to succeed but people thinking Microsoft won’t have some success this gen are crazy.
He's talking about Xbox, not Microsoft. Microsoft is going to be fine. Xbox is a product of Microsoft. You make the point that Sony lives or dies by PS5, that makes it a very important part of Sony. Xbox is small part of Microsoft, that makes its a lot less important. I'm not saying Microsoft is even remotely close to selling off or cutting Xbox, but between Sony and Microsoft, the latter would be much less affected by losing it's video game division. Microsoft won't cut Xbox. Xbox is currently one of the only things that Microsoft has that is "cool."

Kagey K

Banned
He's talking about Xbox, not Microsoft. Microsoft is going to be fine. Xbox is a product of Microsoft. You make the point that Sony lives or dies by PS5, that makes it a very important part of Sony. Xbox is small part of Microsoft, that makes its a lot less important. I'm not saying Microsoft is even remotely close to selling off or cutting Xbox, but between Sony and Microsoft, the latter would be much less affected by losing it's video game division. Microsoft won't cut Xbox. Xbox is currently one of the only things that Microsoft has that is "cool."
Sony makes most of their money from insurance and financials. They could cut out all their other divisions including gaming and electronics and be a healthier company for it.

Shit it’s what kept Playstation afloat while they were losing money hand over fist in the PS3 era.

Last edited:
Sony makes most of their money from insurance and financials. They could cut out all their other divisions including gaming and electronics and be a healthier company for it.

Shit it’s what kept Playstation afloat while they were losing money hand over fist in the PS3 era.
Based on their 2018 numbers 34.8% of Sony's total operating income for the FY2018 period. I think your statement may have rang truer back before and around the PS3 era, but now days that PS segment is really important to Sony. Losing 30% of your operating income is a MASSIVE hit. Healthier? Maybe a lot less operating cost, but what about all that income?

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65714/playstation-drives-sonys-78-billion-earnings-2018/index.html

Kagey K

Banned
Based on their 2018 numbers 34.8% of Sony's total operating income for the FY2018 period. I think your statement may have rang truer back before and around the PS3 era, but now days that PS segment is really important to Sony. Losing 30% of your operating income is a MASSIVE hit. Healthier? Maybe a lot less operating cost, but what about all that income?

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65714/playstation-drives-sonys-78-billion-earnings-2018/index.html
Income /=/ profit.

They spent substantially more to service that 34%

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Sony had an amazing generation when it came to games. If Microsoft could match that or come close they would have done everything needed for me. They are already the better system on any other aspect.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
MS literally can't do any better. They're playing their cards perfectly. I think MS and XBox are going to increase marketshare and mindshare by a considerable margin in 5 years.

Kagey K

Banned
MS literally can't do any better. They're playing their cards perfectly. I think MS and XBox are going to increase marketshare and mindshare by a considerable margin in 5 years.
So far I have to agree, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t room for missteps between now and launch.

This is Sonys Gen to lose and MS to gain, if they keep playing it right.

Eliciel

Games, other than Halo, Gears or Forza that actually are worth playing.

More "grown Ups" Franchises
Less 1st Person Shooter
More RPG
More Adventure
More Narrative Quality

Everything Else keep at it, because GamesPass ist already very succesful

Last edited:
MS is already better than Sony in all departments except first party offerings / exclusives, which are argueably the most important aspect of a console :messenger_tears_of_joy:
So all they need to do is get their shit together and reach the level of Sony first party output and consistency. Good luck, MS.

turtlepowa

Banned
I think Microsoft is doing fine. People laughed at Spencer when he said Xbox sales are not that important, but he is right. If they were that important, they wouldn't port every 1st party game to Pc and wouldn't offer Game Pass on Pc and xCloud on smartphones, tablets and so on. Sony will sell more consoles for sure, but i'm not sure if Sony makes more money with gaming than Microsoft within the next 10 years.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

After watching the PS5 State of Play, Microsoft doesn't have to do much (for me at least). The show was a mockery, and just goes to show how little effort Sony is putting forth. Nothing looked "next gen", and I wasn't impressed by even the first party games as they all look like they could run on current gen hardware.

This is coming from somebody who doesn't care about pretty much any Xbox One exclusives, and has been heavily invested in the PS4.

ToadMan

I hope it does well. Sony needs competition, and the wider industry in general needs competition. I don't want "arrogant Sony" to come back, either.

To me this is the big problem.

MS need to properly invest over multiple gens or gtfo and let another company compete.

As it is, to me, it's not a question of what MS needs to do - it's what MS needed to do about 5 years ago when it became obvious the XB1 wasn't going anywhere. Instead of thinking about software they put out xb1x and hoped 3rd parties would drag them over the line.

Big mistake and xsex will pay for that for 80% of this generation too.

Tulipanzo

and everyone is making fun of ps5
I wanted to weigh in on this, because I think some people fail to understand how memeing works.

Memeing, as in to create an immediately understood and shareable point, isn't the same thing as "making fun of" or mocking.
These days, I've seen the PS5 compared to, among others:
- Cool anime villains robes
- Cell's gigantic forehead
- The Nobodies from KH
- A PS2 in a white binder
- Shellder
- Chad Warden
These aren't quite mocking, but rather pointing out the humorous similarity between this massively popular thing, and a weird bit pop-culture. Nobody bases their purchasing decision on whether your system may resemble Aizen from Bleach.
Even when compared to a router, a house fan, or a coffee maker, the similarity is usually the focus, as those appliances aren't known for bad or very similar design. Neither of my routers looks like the PS5, but some might, and isn't that a bit funny?

The memes don't really read like a criticism of the design, and this bears out in data.
As of right now, the PS5 hardware reveal has 18M views, with 1M likes to 40k dislikes (25:1 ratio).

By comparison, everyone homed in on the Series X looking like a fridge. It became so ubiquitous that MS themselves referenced it in their first major Inside XBox about it and on Twitter when they revealed official sizes.
That's a far less flattering comparison, as fridges have a very common design language, being big, bulky, angular, and featureless. Nobody besides your aunt would consider a fridge's design as beautiful; at best it's utilitarian.

Looking at the stats however, the SeX reveal has lower numbers, standing at 12M views after 6 months, but 330k likes to 30k dislikes (11:1 ratio), which is still very positive!

In conclusion, both consoles design have been mostly well accepted. Critics of the designs are mostly a minority, and most will get used to them. Memes aren't a measure of mocking, as much as popularity.
Still, unlike how some are painting it, it's clear that PS5 has proved both more popular and better liked.

Kagey K

Banned
3rd party games have to look better and play better.

The end.

Everyone says it’s about exclusives, but in reality exclusives make up 1 out of every 10 games sold (at best) having the 3rd party advantage is a huge deal that everyone wants to downplay.

Roberts

Purely anecdotal and doesn’t really mean anything, but at a lot of my friends that jumped from 360 to PS4 are considering XSX. Gamepass has a lot to do with it. Never going to do PS5 numbers, but I think it will do just fine.

Top Bottom