• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does NEOGAF think of the graphics on Wii U's second wave of games

Pein

Banned
Until retro shows what they've been working on I won't know what to think about the wii u. Every game they've shown so far looks like it could be done on the PS3 or 360. That's far from bad though, the problem is they haven't had a graphical power house exclusive. Where is nintendo's Halo 4 or God of war 3? Something that just looks great.

Just watch the video again from Nintendo direct on the Wii U eshop market on my 50 inch plasma. The amount of detail on this scale is highly impressive and above PS360 can do. I really cant wait to see what the finished product is going to look like.

This wording seems overly definitive given how little we've seen of the game. I'm not really sure if viewing it on a large TV versus a computer monitor is really what was holding us back from settling this once and for all.

This wording seems overly definitive given how little we've seen of the game. I'm not really sure if viewing it on a large TV versus a computer monitor is really what was holding us back from settling this once and for all.

Well its more of a personal opinion then anything else. Ive played a lot of open scaled games on my 360 and none of them had the level of detail thats seen in the X trailer.

relaxor

what?
Because you only collect consoles and don't play them, right?

All that lag-free Wii U gamepad streaming technology is 7 years old, right?
The GPU is 7 year old, right?
The CPU (even if not the most powerful) is 7 year old right, and not some custom made/upgraded solution.

Although I agree with you on this stuff, it is a 'modern' console...

I guess you are someone who has a somewhat limited taste in games. That why it's important for you that the next itterations of your favorite CODs/Battlefields, Uncharted games and all it's clones and Sandbox games look significantly better.

If so, you have a right to be dissapointed in the Wii U's hardware power.

Here is were we both are different. My gaming taste is broader. I almost like any genre. That's why I don't thinkt the Wii U's hardware is dissapointing AT ALL.

It's a huge step above the system that offered many different genres and helped keep my gaming hobby fresh - the Wii. Yet, there were still a lot of great oportunities on that machine that weren't used. In other words, all that hardware power wasn't even utilized for a lot of genres.

I want RPGs/SRPGs, great Platformers, fresh ideas (like the Wonderfull 101), a evolution of Party Games like Wii Party and even a handfull (but not more) FPS.

For all of that and many more genres, the Wii U is more than SUFFICIENT. I don't even care if it can run the next Star Wars/Uncharted Clone, Watch dogs or GTA 6. For me, a system has to offer much more than that.

..and even think all this is cool, I am disappointed graphically. I liked the power+Nintendo of the SNES and N64 times, it suited the awe-inspiring nature of their titles like Mario and Zelda. They have shifted to positioning themselves as the Disney of games, letting the other two duke it out for those graphics. Part of Nintendo taking that approach is that their games are polished as all hell. When this is wedded to creativity, fun, color, scale, etc as in Galaxy or Xenogears, it can replicate that powerful Nintendo in my mind, and challenge the beauty of Uncharted or Halo. It's just that that is now one branch of company, and the larger NTDOY manufactures hardware to generate profit.

LeleSocho

Banned
Because you only collect consoles and don't play them, right?

All that lag-free Wii U gamepad streaming technology is 7 years old, right?
The GPU is 7 year old, right?
The CPU (even if not the most powerful) is 7 year old right, and not some custom made/upgraded solution.

I guess you are someone who has a somewhat limited taste in games. That why it's important for you that the next itterations of your favorite CODs/Battlefields, Uncharted games and all it's clones and Sandbox games look significantly better.

If so, you have a right to be dissapointed in the Wii U's hardware power.

Here is were we both are different. My gaming taste is broader. I almost like any genre. That's why I don't thinkt the Wii U's hardware is dissapointing AT ALL.

It's a huge step above the system that offered many different genres and helped keep my gaming hobby fresh - the Wii. Yet, there were still a lot of great oportunities on that machine that weren't used. In other words, all that hardware power wasn't even utilized for a lot of genres.

I want RPGs/SRPGs, great Platformers, fresh ideas (like the Wonderfull 101), a evolution of Party Games like Wii Party and even a handfull (but not more) FPS.

For all of that and many more genres, the Wii U is more than SUFFICIENT. I don't even care if it can run the next Star Wars/Uncharted Clone, Watch dogs or GTA 6. For me, a system has to offer much more than that.
"Look at me, i am a so much better gamer than you because i like everything" please stop this crap you are not better than anyone, people are different if he likes power let him be... also power can be disappointing beyond personal level because it can influence the decisions if the games come on the console or not and can create new types of gameplay.

Also...
1) He didn't say that the hardware is 7 y/o but that is on par of one of a 7 y/o
2) the CPU is a mix between 1998 and 2012 hardware... not exactly the finest thing around not even by 2005-6 standards
3) the GPU at the very best is a mid-low range 2008 one that's 5 years ago again not the very best thing around
The Miracast is the only fairly new (and costly) thing of the console

After running through this whole thread, my answer to the topic is as follows:

1) Second wave of games (if that is what they are) are highly disappointing in the graphics department
2) I think we need to see higher end PC games like Far Cry 3 on the Wii U in order to truly compare to PS3 / 360. A game like Far Cry 3 is so taxing on current consoles that major concessions have to be made to image quality and etc. Seeing how many concessions are made on the Wii in comparison would be interesting

2) I think we need to see higher end PC games like Far Cry 3 on the Wii U in order to truly compare to PS3 / 360. A game like Far Cry 3 is so taxing on current consoles that major concessions have to be made to image quality and etc. Seeing how many concessions are made on the Wii in comparison would be interesting

Any port that's better/worse than PS3/360 would more likely spark a debate about the quality of the port, rather than the capabilities of the hardware. The real question is, "how do the most visually impressive games on each console compare?" Even though that's highly subjective, at least the question of whether the game could look significantly better shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I'm impressed with that Xenoblade sequel. From the little we've seen, it does make me optimistic that it will compare favorably against the best the other consoles have to offer.

Lizardus

Any port that's better/worse than PS3/360 would more likely spark a debate about the quality of the port, rather than the capabilities of the hardware. The real question is, "how do the most visually impressive games on each console compare?" Even though that's highly subjective, at least the question of whether the game could look significantly better shouldn't be an issue.

Personally, I'm impressed with that Xenoblade sequel. From the little we've seen, it does make me optimistic that it will compare favorably against the best the other consoles have to offer.

Well Trine 2 WiiU version is definitely better than PS360 and comes with features from the PC version that the other versions don't have.

Thoraxes

I think everything looks great, and that good/inventive art direction can sell me more on a title than fidelity.

I also like the people talking about games as something definitive in their fidelity as if they don't have at least 1-3 more years in development.

B.O.O.M

That is what bothers me most about this group on GAF. They shun or downplay graphics for years, then all of a sudden with the Wii-U they are experts with trained eyes on what makes "great" graphics.

The game looks good, but it's not beyond current gen standards at all.

I'm guessing the graphics don't matter arguments will pop up again post GDC and especially after E3

OT: I really like the way monolith's game look. I'm no expert so I don't know how to break it down or anything. I did notice that wave looking like a triangle during the trailer tho. Other than that looks great.

Outside of that Yoshi island looks good I suppose. But that zelda HD video ..it hurts my eyes.

That's all nice, but does the Wii U have blast processing?

Genesis does

Fun fact from 1993: the SNES has "Blaze" processing, which is faster than Blast Processing - proven in Claymates, whose main character, Clayton, can run faster than Sonic. Take that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymates

I once read an interview with one of the developers, who was quite derisive of "Blast Processing", and said any system could scroll faster than Sonic - which is why they put the joke in the game, of course. Silly stuff.

That is what bothers me most about this group on GAF. They shun or downplay graphics for years, then all of a sudden with the Wii-U they are experts with trained eyes on what makes "great" graphics.

The game looks good, but it's not beyond current gen standards at all.

Are you sure that these are the same people? GAF is a big place. This generalization always bothers me, that it's the "same people" who, for example, supposedly don't think rumble matters when Sony didn't have it, then think it's great when they do. Or who think motion control is dumb, then jump on the Move or Kinect hype train. I doubt it's the same people, usually.

My opinion of the 2nd wave games is that they look awesome, games like The Wonderful 101 look insanely detailed and that game from Monolith also looks ace. I'm a PS3 and 360 owner, and got the Wii U at launch. I don't know whether they're better than the current consoles, but the games look very good, and I'm pleased with that.

squidyj

Are you sure that these are the same people? GAF is a big place. This generalization always bothers me, that it's the "same people" who, for example, supposedly don't think rumble matters when Sony didn't have it, then think it's great when they do. Or who think motion control is dumb, then jump on the Move or Kinect hype train. I doubt it's the same people, usually.

Which is why we need to make lists... many many lists. we need some sort of organization to keep track of who says what so that we know if the people who say thing x are the people who say thing y, AND THEN HAVE THEM SUMMARILY EXECUTED.

ShdwDrake

Banned
X is the only one that's impressive without nitpicking it. The rest are PS3/360 caliber. X I barely above that. The Durango/Orbis will shit on the Wii U graphically.

That said I NEED X NOW! GIMME IT!!!

Blades64

Banned
They look great to me! Thing is though is that I still don't consider these games to be the second wave of Wii U games. They look great already. I can't imagine what Monolith will be able to do when they make their second game for the system, and Retro for that matter. :)

omonimo

Banned
Well its more of a personal opinion then anything else. Ive played a lot of open scaled games on my 360 and none of them had the level of detail thats seen in the X trailer.

What details do you are talking about exactly? We have seen some ingame features & even on those showed lack of a lot of details seen on the others current open games from what it has showed until now. Yes, the impact is notable but tech wise is nothing beyond ps360 open games, to be honest shows even more limits of wiiU in this camp... bitmap grass over all. I don't think will change in the final version, because wiiU has a lot of problem with transparancies even more of ps3. But I concur, at the first glance still remain good to see.

Until retro shows what they've been working on I won't know what to think about the wii u. Every game they've shown so far looks like it could be done on the PS3 or 360. That's far from bad though, the problem is they haven't had a graphical power house exclusive. Where is nintendo's Halo 4 or God of war 3? Something that just looks great.

Nintendo don't really make those sorts of games though? If you want cinematic HD everything then stick with firstparty sony games?

javac

Fun fact from 1993: the SNES has "Blaze" processing, which is faster than Blast Processing - proven in Claymates, whose main character, Clayton, can run faster than Sonic. Take that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claymates

I once read an interview with one of the developers, who was quite derisive of "Blast Processing", and said any system could scroll faster than Sonic - which is why they put the joke in the game, of course. Silly stuff.

Haha I never knew that, interesting stuff! The 90's were fun times!

ugoo18

Seeing a lot of JC2 comparisons in here.

For the people who have played BOTH JC2 and Xenoblade to completion, i need an honest assessment of their scale in comparison to each other.

I have played Xenoblade to completion, i have not played JC2 to completion (PC version and i frankly could not stand the controls after the first couple of missions). Considering the Xenoblade dev was quoted as saying the world of Xenoblade from one end to the other is as big as the Japanese Archipelago, how does JC2 stack up against that?

http://www.1up.com/news/xenoblade

Blades64

Banned

For the people who have played BOTH JC2 and Xenoblade to completion, i need an honest assessment of their scale in comparison to each other.

I have played Xenoblade to completion, i have not played JC2 to completion (PC version and i frankly could not stand the controls after the first couple of missions). Considering the Xenoblade dev was quoted as saying the world of Xenoblade from one end to the other is as big as the Japanese Archipelago, how does JC2 stack up against that?

Just Cause 2 is freakin huge. To get from one end of the map to another in a plane can take a while. I've never played Xenoblade, but I can tell you that Just Cause 2 has to be the biggest open world in a game I've seen. :)

javac

5FdaEvE.jpg

Pretty big lol

What details do you are talking about exactly? We have seen some ingame features & even on those showed lack of a lot of details seen on the others current open games from what it has showed until now. Yes, the impact is notable but tech wise is nothing beyond ps360 open games, to be honest shows even more limits of wiiU in this camp... bitmap grass over all. I don't think will change in the final version, because wiiU has a lot of problem with transparancies even more of ps3. But I concur, at the first glance still remain good to see.

The imagine quality isnt degraded in the background. Its as detailed in the foreground as it is in the background. PS360 cant do this on this scale.

ugoo18

Just Cause 2 is freakin huge. To get from one end of the map to another in a plane can take a while. I've never played Xenoblade, but I can tell you that Just Cause 2 has to be the biggest open world in a game I've seen. :)

Pretty much if you can see it in Xenoblade you can get to it (Eventually lol, thank goodness for fast travel).

Some samples of the world of Xenoblade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYBui5ghJ0 (Field Map Exploration 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUNNyNK-4w (Field Map Exploration 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djR6J4izkqw (Field Map Exploration 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeG7_38JW-Y (Scale for first 3 areas in the world, about 22 in total all interlinked)

It also has immense vertical scale as well

King_Moc

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if Xenoblade was only about 5% of the size of Just Cause 2.

mr_nothin

Banned
Why the hell is everyone saying these aren't 2nd wave? These wont be out for some months and they're definitely missing the "launch window" period (3-4 months).

Ppl are really saying 0th wave for the launch titles just because the they were rushed and not developed on full hardware? That's always been the case for 1st wave titles. These are def 2nd wave....

Why the hell is everyone saying these aren't 2nd wave? These wont be out for some months and they're definitely missing the "launch window" period (3-4 months).

Ppl are really saying 0th wave for the launch titles just because the they were rushed and not developed on full hardware? That's always been the case for 1st wave titles. These are def 2nd wave....

1st wave = the first game from each developer
2nd wave = the 2nd game from each dev team. Using what they learned from creating the first game, they're often able to make a more technically impressive game.

B.O.O.M

Pretty much if you can see it in Xenoblade you can get to it (Eventually lol, thank goodness for fast travel).

Some samples of the world of Xenoblade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAYBui5ghJ0 (Field Map Exploration 1)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CUNNyNK-4w (Field Map Exploration 2)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djR6J4izkqw (Field Map Exploration 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeG7_38JW-Y (Scale for first 3 areas in the world, about 22 in total all interlinked)

It also has immense vertical scale as well

JC2 is just so friggin huge. Might even be too huge. Mountains, cities, forests, ocean ..heck even locations in the sky! lol It takes a good amount of time to travel even with a plane. I seriously doubt xenoblade comes anywhere close to that...or any other game for that matter

BowieZ

Banned
As already mentioned, these are still the first wave of games.

Mario Universe, Mario Kart U, and Bayonetta 2 will be the second wave of games.

ugoo18

JC2 is just so friggin huge. Might even be too huge. Mountains, cities, forests, ocean ..heck even locations in the sky! lol It takes a good amount of time to travel even with a plane. I seriously doubt xenoblade comes anywhere close to that...or any other game for that matter

Xenoblade has mountains, cities, forests, oceans, and locations in the sky as well.

pixlexic

Banned

why are you assuming? there is a lot of people here who have played both.

Top Bottom