• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does NEOGAF think of the graphics on Wii U's second wave of games

KKRT00

They look like mid tier current-gen games, although that Monolith game looked quite bad, like HD remake with updated character models.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
They're not the same for me, because 3D models looks better in X and also, landscapes are more detailed (more grass etc)

"good looking" usually goes hand in hand with more detailed. If you are talking character model looks, isn't that because they are more detailed?

JaseMath

Graphics are what I expect for current gen hardware, further into the Wii-U life cycle we'll probably see games that are a step above PS360 level, but by then it'll look outdated compared to next gen. I see it being like the Wii was this gen compared to the PS360 graphics wise.
I don't know if it'll be that drastic. With the exception of maybe Super Mario Galaxy, it's hard to think of a single Wii game that looked any better than what devs had already been doing on the PS2/Xbox.

I love all the haters coming out to hate on games that arent even finished. I dont think some posters here realized this. The graphics are just going to get better and they are looking amazing now. The more ram and more capable GPU is starting to show.

RDR dude comparisons are hilarious. He's a true Nintendo hater.

Mxrz

After the high points we've had this gen, not that impressed at all. No bars were really raised, and it'll be a while before we can see if they're really on par with what we've had already. They look like games that'll run on the Wii-U's specs, and that's all there really is to it.

I'm reserving judgment on Wind Waker until some real footage is shown. Hopefully they aren't really abandoning the charm of the original in favor of SOMUCHBLOOM.

Kimawolf

Because the rumored specs indicate a somewhat similar jump in performance that's why.

Sorry, i take exception with this one. the jump from SD to HD was HUGE and won't be replicated by the next generation. Watch Dogs is not the same jump from Halo 2 to Gears of War, sorry. People thinking its going to be the same simply don't take into account going from SD to HD on its own provided a amazing leap in visual quality. not to say they won't be POWERFUL, because they WILL, but it won't be an amazing jump that is the same as PS2 to PS3. and i know this because simply put, in 2005 my PC couldn't do some of the things the 360 could do. But in 2013 the 720 and PS4 won't be able to touch the things my current gaming PC will do. People should just accept it for what it is.

These games on display clearly show that the Wii U is a very capable system that will produce some pretty impressive games. Not as impressive as PS4/720 but clearly better than the 360 ps3.

Not as good looking, not as huge looking and not as detailled.

Not as good looking or detailled. But Just Cause 2 looks bigger/huge.

.... Yeah, no. I can't agree with that one.

Obviously The Wii game is early but right now the game's framerate from what we've seen makes Lightning Returns look good. On top of that the vegetation wasn't very impressive in the trailer, and the pop in was ridiculous, it would only start appearing when it was about 15-20 feet in front of the main character. I also don't get the claim of scale either considering how little we saw in the trailer. And what we did end up seeing never had more than 4-5 characters on screen max at a given time. The DD gameplay I linked to had well over a dozen enemies on screen.

JaxJag

Banned
I don't think Monolith's game looks impressive at all. The geometry looks very simple, the entire game to me looks like a Wii game just in HD.

ibmvmyIZQhLo53.gif

None of those are anything that PS360 haven't seen.
Hahah. That gif.

mantidor

We've come to the point where graphical fidelity is good enough. Some people are dismissive of the concept of diminished returns but I see we are already there. The only way to truly compare these graphics is with actual screenshots at the right resolution, FPS comparisons, actual numbers thrown in the mix, in summary, things only the really enthusiasts care about (and are able to differentiate).

There's stuff like number of enemies, view distance, but those are far more specific to the game itself, it would be dumb to judge, say, Silent Hill on how much draw distance it has, or any other claustrophobic game.

Maybe some disagree, but it has become irrelevant to me at this point, I'm really liking what I see in the WW screenshots, and I know that has to be doable in the HD twins. Art direction is whats really going to matter in this gen.

muu

I hope you don't work for the Census Office because the way you gather information and the results therein is terrible. Videogames are a visual medium and until each and everyone has a copy in their hands the only thing one can objectively examine is the visuals, get over it. Visuals =/= Fun, but I'm sure you know that already but for some reason what I gather from your comment is that they're somehow intrinsically related.

It's ironic that while so many people make big deals out of graphics, in most cases we're limited to either bullshots or highly compressed video to determine 'good' and 'bad' graphics. People were shitting their pants over 480p feeds in Samaritan, even.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It's hilarious when people try to downplay the grfx of games that are on another level. I remember when some were saying that God of War 3 looked like 2 in HD, or the people who say Uncharted 3's sand isn't impressive because it doesn't have physics or some dumb shit like that.

I don't think Monolith's game looks impressive at all. The geometry looks very simple, the entire game to me looks like a Wii game just in HD.

They look like mid tier current-gen games, although that Monolith game looked quite bad, like HD remake with updated character models.

Both of you helped me remember all the people that said 360 games looked worse than 360 games on that E3 trailer sizzle reel. If it's not on your platform of choice it either looks like shit or is CGI, like the reactions on the Zelda HD demo.

Oddly enough, Pikmin looks the best judging by the footage in the OP.

The new stuff looks much better than what's so far on the console, but that's not a huge compliment.

Eideka

Banned
PC isn't really console.:p It's like its own plateform where everything is amazing and better.:p
Well, that does not change the fact that what we've seen of X (far from being indicative of the final product) does not impress me at all. If you told me this was a PS360 game I would believe you. There is nothing in the footage that is above current-gen standards, not that I've seen.

DaBoss

Both of you helped me remember all the people that said 360 games looked worse than 360 games on that E3 trailer sizzle reel. If it's not on your platform of choice it either it looks like shit or is CGI, like the reactions on the Zelda HD demo.

Ahaha, I remember that, it was hilariously ironic.

lumzi23

Been a long time I have been this excited for a Nintendo console. Loved the controller already and now these new game have me salivating. Still, I won't get it till X and Wonderful 101 drop. I simply don't have the cheese right now and there are things I would like to get currently instead of a console I won't play for some months.

TUROK

I love all the haters coming out to hate on games that arent even finished. I dont think some posters here realized this. The graphics are just going to get better and they are looking amazing now. The more ram and more capable GPU is starting to show.

RDR dude comparisons are hilarious. He's a true Nintendo hater.
Your fanboyism is showing.

Read the thread title. This is for people to voice their opinions on how these games look. If you can't handle dissenting opinions and choose to dismiss them as people hating Nintendo, you clearly aren't ready for the internet yet.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Your post is all over the place I don't know what to address first.

Sorry, i take exception with this one. the jump from SD to HD was HUGE and won't be replicated by the next generation.

It was HUGE? Since you used terms like SD and HD I'm assuming you're talking about visual fidelity, in particular resolution. Xbox 1 had games running at 720p but they were in the minority so for the sake of argument I'll use the 480p number.

480p to 720p was a 2.25x increase in resolution.
720p to 1080p ( which I assume is going to be the target for a core console released in 2013 ) is a 2.25x increase in resolution.

So no, this HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE JUMP from SD to HD isn't outside of the realm of possibility going from ps3 to ps4 or w/e.

Watch Dogs is not the same jump from Halo 2 to Gears of War, sorry.

That's quite the bizarre comparison of games.

People thinking its going to be the same simply don't take into account going from SD to HD on its own provided a amazing leap in visual quality.

Let me guess, you're on of those people who "can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? "

Not to say they won't be POWERFUL, because they WILL, but it won't be an amazing jump that is the same as PS2 to PS3

Have you compared the technical specifications from ps2 to ps3 to the rumored ps4 specs? You sound awfully confident in that.

and i know this because simply put, in 2005 my PC couldn't do some of the things the 360 could do. But in 2013 the 720 and PS4 won't be able to touch the things my current gaming PC will do. People should just accept it for what it is.

So because your 2005 pc couldn't do things the 360 could and your 2013 pc can do things ( which you assume ) a ps4 can't this somehow means that "jump" you're talking about won't be the same? What? I've read that sentence 10 times and I still can't wrap my head around it.

Not as impressive as PS4/720 but clearly better than the 360 ps3.

Nothing about these games look "clearly" better than what the top 360/ps3 games offer, what are you on about?

Top Bottom