• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does NEOGAF think of the graphics on Wii U's second wave of games

Yeah, but there are people and plants and horses and other stuff going on on the screen, you know.

And giant monsters, and more vegetations in X.

That's not enough, if anything that's the minumim a new expensive console from 2012 should do.

I dont deny it. As I said, it's not a gap. But it's good to see finally a game on Wii U, as I may recall is a 2012 console, finally doing better than 6 years old consoles, which was a problem at first.

Kimawolf

Well I think these are first gen games, and with games like X on display it's shown me that Nintendo's console can handle things just fine. X to me looks like the Star Ocean 4 Bullshots and it looks better than any game of similar scope for PS3/360 to me. PC is a entirely different ball game.

This generation of gamers is ridiculously unbelievable when it comes to what impresses in terms of visuals.

Anyone not so caught up in little frivolities would be impressed. But here we are so hell bent on wanting more even when what we have in front of us is impressive enough.

Ignorance is bliss because getting caught up in technical details is mind numbingly silly. Even when the next gen console release, people will still find shit to criticize.

Just sit in front of a window if you want ultra realism and detail. Even then people would still find something to complain and nit-pick about.

Eideka

Banned
Some people are really desperate to be impressed by Wii U games.

By current-gen standards those games are nothing special and therein lies the problem : next-generation is about to begin.

But but there are HUUGE monsters on the screen!!

Making fun of me isn't going to give you a point. Just makes you childish.
And yes, there are huge monsters on the screen. But I don't think that a horse is as power eating as a huge creature.

MysticX

lol, first it´s like "WIIU can´t even do current gen graphics" now, it´s all like "WIIU doesn´t do shit for a 2012 hardware" kiddy NeoGaf shows it´s true worth once again.

come on, it´s never good enough for you, stop with the lame excuses

lol, first it´s like "WIIU can´t even do current gen graphics" now, it´s all like "WIIU doesn´t do shit for a 2012 hardware" kiddy NeoGaf shows it´s true worth once again.

it's going to be worse when the new consoles come out this is only the appetizer before the main course, lol.

also

Banned
The Wind Waker screenshots and Pikmin's flowers are burning my eyes.
ibqrOYwBHpKt7d.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Pikmin and Zelda looks like they would fit on ps3/360. Those other games' pictures are too small to judge but I doubt viewing them at their native res would do them any favors.

This generation of gamers is ridiculously unbelievable when it comes to what impresses in terms of visuals.

Anyone one not so caught up in little frivolities would be impressed. But here we are so hell bent on wanting more even when what we have in front of us is impressive enough.

Ignorance is bliss because getting caught up in technical details is mind numbingly silly. Even when the next gen console release, people will still find shit to criticize.

Just sit in front of a window if you want ultra realism and detail. Even then people would still find something to complain and nit-pick about.
It's not exactly nitpicking to say this is technically on par with what we've been playing for quite a few years now. Again, it's all aesthetically very pleasing but anyone being adamant the little we've seen couldn't be done on current hardware is either dishonest or hasn't played much this gen.

serplux

I'm happy with the graphics, they look pretty nice considering that most of these aren't too far in development. I wish they focused on bringing the crayon style of Yoshi's Island instead of yarn, but that's an artstyle choice.

Erasus

Comparing consoles and games are bad now?

Yes, most look good, amazing even! BUT its not something PC/360/PS3 players havent seen. Just Cause 2 for draw distance for example, WW looks great but its a small empty island right now... Its "good enough" for me yes, very. I play game with worse gfx and very much enjoy them too. But that dosent mena I cant critizize it.

Pikmin and Zelda looks like they would fit on ps3/360. Those other games' pictures are too small to judge but I doubt viewing them at their native res would do them any favors.

Well Pikmin was kinda a Wii game which was then moved to Wii U... And Zelda is a Gamecube game with newer lighting effects and slightly better polycount on characters.:p

Derrick01

Banned

Anyone not so caught up in little frivolities would be impressed. But here we are so hell bent on wanting more even when what we have in front of us is impressive enough.

Speak for yourself. I don't find graphics comparable to 360/ps3's 6th-7th year as impressive enough in 2013. It looks good still, but that's because we haven't seen hardly any real next gen stuff yet. This will change in a few more months.

MysticX

Comparing consoles and games are bad now?

no, not my point. I´ve been on the console business for so long that people always replace an existing excuse with another one, meaning they will never be satisfied with said hardware whether it´s nintendo or not

in contrast they first said it couldn´t even do current gen, now...they have seen it can and most likely more, then they all turn their heads and say: sheesh old crap, not THAT much better! that´s what I mean by childish

same with sale numbers when everyone was sure that WII was bomba, then instead of admiting they were wrong, they compare combined PSBOX 360 numbers and still can´t accept that Wii is king

same cycle over and over again

TOY STORY GRAFX! WOAH! (so not true)

Schnozberry

Whenever I read these threads, I gather that the least important part of determining a games' quality is how fun it is. These Wii U games look great. They won't look as good as Durango and Orbis games likely will, which won't be as technically brilliant as PC games available right now. I'm not sure why so many seem to think the next consoles are going to offer a similar jump as the one to HD.

LukeTim

If you mean the Samaritan demo, you're definitely going to be disapointed if you're expecting in game graphics that look like that.

In game graphics haven't matched the 2006 UE3 tech demos yet.

I was actually talking about the Unreal 4 demo... not sure on the name. Samaritan isn't an Unreal 4 demo, it's heavily updated Unreal 3.

Also, in game graphics have been seriously hampered by the current gen consoles. The reason graphics haven't really been pushed that far is because developers have had to cater for a console market which is running on 7/8 year old hardware... When that hardware gets updated, I believe graphics will start to get much better.

Graphics are what I expect for current gen hardware, further into the Wii-U life cycle we'll probably see games that are a step above PS360 level, but by then it'll look outdated compared to next gen. I see it being like the Wii was this gen compared to the PS360 graphics wise.

Whenever I read these threads, I gather that the least important part of determining a games' quality is how fun it is. These Wii U games look great. They won't look as good as Durango and Orbis games likely will, which won't be as technically brilliant as PC games available right now. I'm not sure why so many seem to think the next consoles are going to offer a similar jump as the one to HD.
I don't know why people keep forgetting about first party studios. This is where the leap will come from. I have no doubt that Sony's first party studios will deliver when it comes to graphics.

Camp Lo

Banned
Graphically I'm not impressed. I'm glad Nintendo is on board with the rest of the community for the first time since N64

A lot of it is art direction, but there is a clear fidelity increase over the older consoles. I don't expect much more than that though.

BlackJace

Some people are really desperate to be impressed by Wii U games.

By current-gen standards those games are nothing special and therein lies the problem : next-generation is about to begin.

Yeah, God forbid that people have different opinions on what they find impressive.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Otherwise, will you argue with something else than a gif, supposing make fun of what I said ?
I doubt we've seen something with that graphic quality + draw distance + scale on PS360.
Even Final Fantasy Versus XIII doesn't look as good or as huge.

Just Cause 2?

Schnozberry

I don't know why people keep forgetting about first party studios. This is where the leap will come from. I have no doubt that Sony's first party studios will deliver when it comes to graphics.

I have no doubt PS4 exclusives will look amazing. It just won't be the staggering jump made from PS2 to PS3 first party efforts.

KageMaru

I would consider these games the first wave still, depending on the expected launch dates. Games do look good be current Gen standards though.

Really nice looking. And judging by the Monolith Soft game, more capable than PS3/360. Finally a game on Wii U that looks better than anything on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Let's not get carried away here.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Whenever I read these threads, I gather that the least important part of determining a games' quality is how fun it is.

I hope you don't work for the Census Office because the way you gather information and the results therein is terrible. Videogames are a visual medium and until each and everyone has a copy in their hands the only thing one can objectively examine is the visuals, get over it. Visuals =/= Fun, but I'm sure you know that already but for some reason what I gather from your comment is that they're somehow intrinsically related.

These Wii U games look great.

That's nice and all and I'm sure you mean it but being able to critically comment on a game's aesthetics doesn't make it bad. I'm confident enough in my tastes in games that I can say that while Pikmin might technically, not artistically, look like trash that doesn't mean I won't enjoy because as I mentioned before "visuals" and "fun" aren't mutually exclusive.

I'm not sure why so many seem to think the next consoles are going to offer a similar jump as the one to HD.

Because the rumored specs indicate a somewhat similar jump in performance that's why.

Top Bottom