• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does NEOGAF think of the graphics on Wii U's second wave of games

tipoo

Banned
I really don't understand why everyone says Wonderful 101 in every discussion about the best looking games on Wii U. We are looking at the same game, right? It looks pretty basic to me. The aesthetic is nice, but not graphically impressive by any means.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwmCkz1IOcM

X looked fantastic, Pikmen 3 looks good in parts but with some downfalls, Wind Waker HD, like Wonderful 101, has a nice aesthetic but of course isn't graphically impressive, which should go without saying since it's a HD remake of a 10 year old game with only minor graphical changes.

w101 looks great when it's zoomed in, shame it looks like the actual gameplay is more zoomed out / isometric.

X looked good I thought. the scenery / backgrounds in the footage were incredible. the sun setting background during the beat-down of the dino was epic.

Akey

Banned
I would argue what is going on in W101 would not look as nice on the 360. I don't think X was used to be eye candy; more of a lets get something up and put giant monsters and mechs and get that working so I'm not sure its worth judging yet. Pikman 3 clearly started out on wii.

Yoshi looks the best, expected after Kirby's detailed and excellent art direction.

Not impressed technically though, those effects in WW HD, ugh.

TheMink

UKVDYOJ.jpg

?

Um.... Great counter argument. Ive seen the error of my ways.

since it probably didnt land, that was sarcasm.

mclem

Love the style for Wonderful 101. Yoshi just looks like Epic Yarn in HD, so it's of course gorgeous. But since Epic Yarn was just the most boring platformer of all time, I hope it doesn't play anything like Epic.

Nah, that's Kid Chameleon. I was a huge fan of platformers in the 90's, and even I couldn't make it all the way through Kid Chameleon.

King_Moc

Banned
I really don't understand why everyone says Wonderful 101 in every discussion about the best looking games on Wii U. We are looking at the same game, right? It looks pretty basic to me. The aesthetic is nice, but not graphically impressive by any means.

There's your answer.

tkscz

I wouldn't consider them second wave for about another year or 2 (360 games didn't really look that good until around 2008). Otherwise these look very good. Yoshi's Epic Yarn still looks a bit alpha or beta. X looks incredible. That cleanliness and draw distance is amazing. Pikmin needs to lower its detail or choose another art style. That thing looks fucking creepy with that level of detail.

Perkel

Banned
New monolith game look at first amazing but then you see those terrible alpha and barren spaces with horrible polycount and muddy textures. Looks like Lair.
Pikmin does look amazing but more thank to art style rather than tech.
W101 looks amazing same as Pikmin (art not tech)
Wind Waker - Bloom everywhere. Nothing special.

Games do look good but none of them couldn't be made on PS3 or X360. Good to see Nintendo is releasing HD games finally.

lednerg

I mean I loved Epic Yarn's style, don't get me wrong. Wonderfully clever in how they implemented it into obstacles and graphical effects. And it looks to be the same with Yoshi. BUT, I also want a great game, ya know?

It's being supervised by Takashi Tezuka, who was the director of Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story, among a ton of other amazing credits. I wouldn't assume it's just a Kirby's Epic Yarn character swap.

(yeah, I re-posted that from elsewhere)

Takuan

They're certainly much nicer than the majority of early-era PS360 games. I don't know that they'll look measurably better two years down the road, however, especially when they've been eclipsed by the competition. Native res, AA, and good art direction can go a long way, though.

kitsuneyo

I think they're all still first wave, since they were all in development before Wii U came out. And they look pretty good to me.

Replicant

Otherwise, will you argue with something else than a gif, supposing make fun of what I said ?
I doubt we've seen something with that graphic quality + draw distance + scale on PS360.
Even Final Fantasy Versus XIII doesn't look as good or as huge.

This is what happens when you've been locked away in a dark dungeon, unaware of what's going on outside. Then once in a while your dungeon master brings you something that is commonly seen outside so you think the item is speshul and precious. It's not. Just because you're not aware of it, it doesn't mean those games don't exist.

IMBored

X is the best showcase right now, and it looks great, but it's probably very early in the dev cycle, upgrades or downgrades can happen.

The rest of these games look good but mainly due to art, not really tech wise.

Then you should probably read the discussion from the beginning, it´s actually not that hard to understand.

No, I'm having a hard time following your argument as well. First you say the game looks average at best, and then you say "well, the screenshots aren't a great representation."

Which side are you on?

And if you really think Red Dead looks more detailed than that, then it's pointless to argue with you. It's a great looking game, but it's just desert and bushes.

Then you should probably read the discussion from the beginning, it´s actually not that hard to understand.

You're talking about graphic quality. And, as I pointed out, you used a screencap of a streaming video which was then blown up to twice the size to illustrate your point. When I pointed out how this doesn't help your case, you said it's the same thing as showing an unflattering screen shot.

Can you see why I'm confused?

RoKKeR

X looks really good, and Wind Waker HD is absolutely beautiful.

The WiiU can produce great looking games, but in nintendo's case I think it is too little too late. They'll soon be blown out of the water by Durango and Orbis.

AOC83

Banned
No, I'm having a hard time following your argument as well. First you say the game looks average at best, and then you say "well, the screenshots aren't a great representation."

Which side are you on?

And if you really think Red Dead looks more detailed than that, then it's pointless to argue with you. It's a great looking game, but it's just desert and bushes.

I never said something like this. You guys should probably read first and answer later.

AOC83

Banned
You're talking about graphic quality. And, as I pointed out, you used a screencap of a streaming video which was then blown up to twice the size to illustrate your point. When I pointed out how this doesn't help your case, you said it's the same thing as showing an unflattering screen shot.

Can you see why I'm confused?

I posted the screenshot as a response to the Red Dead screenshot to show how it may not be the best idea to judge a games graphics quality by one shitty screenshot. What is there so hard to understand? I seriously don´t get it.

I don't see why people can't accept this as a fact. I mean Wii U is supposed to be more powerfull, so it's natural that finally a Wii U game looks better than any PS3/360 game. It's not like we already know Xbox 3 or Orbis will do much better than Wii U.
So yes, I claim it again, X looks better than anything on PS360. Not what I'd call a gap, but better looking.

Top Bottom