• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does NEOGAF think of the graphics on Wii U's second wave of games

javac

This is still the first wave....Wii U isn't even half a year old yet.

Yoshi: looks good, need to see more of it in motion though
X: ASFHADHGADH!
Wind Waker HD: I like it but I want to see it in motion, It'll be my first time playing Wind Waker.
Pikmin 3: Looks great aside from the flat ground textures
W101: I made that first gif for a reason. It looks amazing. So much going on all at silky smooth 60fps

I feel that a few of these games might not be out anytime soon and even games coming this year (wind waker) could be further improved upon hence 'second wave'

They all look quite nice to me. We'll see how they end up looking on my TV though. 720p honestly ain't that bad if there is a decent amount of AA on there.

X doesn't look like a huge leap over Star Ocean 4. It's also must be easy to make an open world game if all you populate it with is a few dragons and bland terrain.

Replicant

Really nice looking. And judging by the Monolith Soft game, more capable than PS3/360. Finally a game on Wii U that looks better than anything on PS3 and Xbox 360.

ibmvmyIZQhLo53.gif

None of those are anything that PS360 haven't seen.

Chulonyc

Banned
Most of those games look good, but it is the art style and cartoon like graphics that make them look good and stand out.

The monolith game has promise but shows nothing we haven't seen before.

I dont know why ppl would say they look better than anything ps3/xbox have because thats pure hyperbole. None of those games look as good or better than TLOU, GOW Ascension, Beyond, etc.....

joesiv

Ask me again when Sony and Microsoft reveal their new tech. Perfect Dark Zero looked amazing back in 2005.
No, no it didn't... COD was a much prettier game, Perfect Dark felt very last gen but higher resolution in terms of graphics and the feel of gameplay (sliding camera syndrome)

King_Moc

Banned
Mostly looks fairly good. As long as the games are good and don't look bad on my TV this time, then i'm happy. I learnt long ago to only ever expect good gameplay from Nintendo and not necessarily anything else. And they can still do that as good as anyone out there. I'll save the awesome graphics for PC games.

Wonderful 101 looks exceptionally good though. As mentioned, it's down to art style, but so what.

Bulzeeb

in short "Just look at the colors". The games look really bright and vibrant it kinda reminds me of mirrors edge minus the minimalistic aspect so my body is ready I migth buy a Wii U some time between june and november

Amir0x

Banned
I mean Pikmin 3 looks like crap technically (and it's my most anticipated game anywhere), but the others look like reasonable Xbox 360 and PS3 titles, maybe slightly better if the framerate is steady in Xenoblade U.

Love the style for Wonderful 101. Yoshi just looks like Epic Yarn in HD, so it's of course gorgeous. But since Epic Yarn was just the most boring platformer of all time, I hope it doesn't play anything like Epic.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
W101 has a very nice aesthetic, and is very clean looking, but I dunno if it's doing anything that's pushing the system.

onipex

I don't think any of those games really count as the gen 2/second wave Wii U games since they all would have likely started on dev kits or even the Wii. They just had more time to bake than the launch games but I think they look good though.

prwxv3

I mean Pikmin 3 looks like crap technically (and it's my most anticipated game anywhere), but the others look like reasonable Xbox 360 and PS3 titles, maybe slightly better if the framerate is steady in Xenoblade U.

Love the style for Wonderful 101. Yoshi just looks like Epic Yarn in HD, so it's of course gorgeous. But since Epic Yarn was just the most boring platformer of all time, I hope it doesn't play anything like Epic.

Was your problem with the challenge of Epic Yarn?

ibmvmyIZQhLo53.gif

None of those are anything that PS360 haven't seen.

Otherwise, will you argue with something else than a gif, supposing make fun of what I said ?
I doubt we've seen something with that graphic quality + draw distance + scale on PS360.
Even Final Fantasy Versus XIII doesn't look as good or as huge.

GrayFoxPL

Looks...

Nothing like a Monster Hunter clone. Have you actually played Monster Hunter? Or Xenoblade by chance?

Scale and dismemberment doesn't make it similar to Monster Hunter.

Yes it does, yes I played. Please, it's a party raid on dragons. Oh they've put Lost Planet in it too.

Aside from WW HD, they're estheticaly very pleasing (love that Yoshi's Epic Yarn look) but technically, they seem in the current gen ballpark, not exactly jaw dropping.

MisterHero

I honestly don't care about how bleeding edge console games can be. They can take what's possible on Wii U and make compelling experiences. Wonderful 101 isn't crazy technical but the presentation is arguably peerless.

Xenoblade looked terrific but it played better. I even thought the modest character models were extremely expressive.

Yoshi hasn't convinced me, but it looks like decent followup to Story.

Amir0x

Banned
Was your problem with the challenge of Epic Yarn?

That is was the most snore-inducing nothing game I've ever played in my life? That I could practically close my eyes and beat the levels and collect everything without blinking?

I mean, I didn't even get hit by any obstacles or enemies until like the fourth world in. It was ridiculous. It was the most insultingly designed platformer I played on any of the consoles last gen, that's for sure.

it's one thing to be 'easy', like the Mario games tend to be. It's another thing to continually insult your audiences intelligence with just baby level design. But that's just me! Anyway, off topic somewhat.

These screens look very nice. That said, if the next Xbox and Playsation don't blow this stuff out of the water, I'll be a bit disappointed.

Like someone else stated, the art direction looks great for a few of those games but it doesnt look like anything a PS3 or 360 couldnt do right now.

prwxv3

That is was the most snore-inducing nothing game I've ever played in my life? That I could practically close my eyes and beat the levels and collect everything without blinking?

I mean, I didn't even get hit by any obstacles or enemies until like the fourth world in. It was ridiculous. It was the most insultingly designed platformer I played on any of the platforms last gen, that's for sure.

Yea. I really hope you can at least die in the new Yoshi game. Or have the option to die.

Derrick01

Banned
Monolith's game looks like a high end ps3/360 game but it looks good. The rest I can't be bothered with. Re-making Majora's Mask would have got my attention a lot more than the boring Wind Waker.

I think everything looks fantastic except for Pikmin 3, on a graphical level. I think what we saw of Bayonetta 2 (admittedly little) looked promising as well.

AOC83

Banned
Otherwise, will you argue with something else than a gif, supposing make fun of what I said ?
I doubt we've seen something with that graphic quality + draw distance + scale on PS360.
Even Final Fantasy Versus XIII doesn't look as good or as huge.

Red Dead Redemption.

Only Monolith's game looks good,like a current gen game with better IQ.
Thought the opposite, some visible aliasing and very low anisotropic filtering.

But i did like the look, that scene with the lake reminded me of one of the Star Oceans, dont remember what number right now.

JDSN

Banned
They are what I expected from the first wave. The Wondeful 101 is the strongest one and we are getting that in a couple of months, XenoWiiU looks better but thats probably gonna be a 2014 release.

Amir0x

Banned
Yea. I really hope you can at least die in the new Yoshi game. Or have the option to die.

I mean I loved Epic Yarn's style, don't get me wrong. Wonderfully clever in how they implemented it into obstacles and graphical effects. And it looks to be the same with Yoshi. BUT, I also want a great game, ya know?

Top Bottom