• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does your username mean?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I used to go by The Great One
but people use to shorten it to TGO when referring to or quoting me.
So I just used that.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
edo = nickname for Edin
medo = Bear in Bosnian

so... Edin Bear, mostly because people like to rhyme things and that fits. I've heard it all my life.

Y2H

I've always been a fan of pro wrestling and Chris Jericho has always been my favourite.

19990809_jericho_rock--f4f1967cd94663ff3143e35334c79b54.jpg

I just substituted the 'J' in 'Y2J' for my own surname.

hqdefault.jpg

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I came up with mine when I was 12, so 14 years ago now, because teenagers think they're cool and have opinions that their peers don't. Since then I've used it for so many different things that I just can't be bothered coming up with anything better. Own your mistakes.

Or I can tell people that it's a mail-related class in the .Net framework.

appaws

Banned
Mine is really boring.

I was "Paws" on AOL because of my long running Penn State fandom. (My grandfather was a dean there and my Dad and all my aunts and uncles went there.)

Then I was involved in fantasy football, and I used to write these sick, over the top satirical news reports on the games, with lines like "Bruce Smith took the field for the Batwings and forced two fumbles while raping Peyton Manning in the ass repeatedly. The Batwings defeated Wanny's Army 218-177.

So the other players started calling me AP Paws...you know, like "Associated Press."

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
When I was in a band in highschool, we were thinking of names and making logos for our hypothetical bands.

One of the names my friend came up with was "RubxQub" that he'd made a really sweet design for. Me thinking "we're gonna get fucking huge, I better reserve this AIM name fast!", I made RubxQub on AIM.

Then the band decided to be called "Ballroom Astronaut" and I just had this sweet logo and AIM name...so I just kept it. And now it's mine. FOREVER!

FOR-EV-VER!

giphy.gif

You can listen to our hit single in hyper low volume here, featuring me counting down in German in the intro and on bass (I have no fucking idea where that cover art came from...wasn't involved)

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I picked my name after GAF had its enema. Scopa means “broom” in Italian. I figured “sweeping out the trash” was a fitting tribute.

Duellist

Named after pretty much the greatest piece of music ever written. Iron Maiden's The Duellists. If you have never heard it and are even remotely into melody and guitars/solos check it out. Especially the middle interlude. God like

Nymphae

Banned
Named after pretty much the greatest piece of music ever written. Iron Maiden's The Duellists. If you have never heard it and are even remotely into melody and guitars/solos check it out. Especially the middle interlude. God like

Never heard it and will definitely check this out!

Mochilador

Mochilador means "mochila" (backpack) + "ventilador" (ceiling fan).
My nickname during high school was "ventilador" because I used to sit near the ceiling fan switch.
One day I was leaving the school library and I forgot my backpack ("mochila" in portuguese) in there. A friend tried to warn me about it but instead of saying "hey, 'ventilador', you forgot your 'mochila'", he said "hey, mochilador".
He mixed up the words and I kinda liked the sound of that.

Last edited:

Arm73

Interesting topic. I wandered about that a few times myself. When I chose my name I was playing on a DS wich has an Arm7 and an Arm9 processors. Since my name is Armando and I was born in 1973, I decided to make it Arm73. I thought eventually we should get an Arm 73,74,75 processors etc.... so I might as well be there first 😉

Last edited:

tkscz

Back when I was 14 and sprite comics were a big thing, me and my friends started a website for our (admittedly bad) sprite comics called the Shanic Comic Zone (SCZ). To separate ourselves, we would shorten our names and then add SCZ to the end. TK are my initials, so I went by TKscz and I just liked it and stuck with it.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Mentioned in the introduce yourself thread, but basically I'd been watching a lot of cooking shows (usually desserts), so I'd had pies on my mind.

Then I thought it'd be mighty clever to name myself "Keylime" and have the Pi symbol as my avatar. It isn't very clever...but it was a moment of inspiration, and I dig my "seal of approval" style pie crust avatar so here I am, in all my limey goodness.

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
Great British Bake Off is absolutely the best.

Thought I was going to hate Noel and Sandi as the new hosts, as Mel and Sue were so good on that show. But after a few episodes Noel really nailed it, and Sandi was fine.

YIKES

The textual vocalisation of intense shock and revulsion used on forums where pinging people is not allowed. "Wow this thread has some hot takes, Yikes!"

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
Back in early 90's I worked at a local Pizza shop that had an MK2 machine that me and my friends would hold tournaments. My brother was by far the best of all of us with the exception of when I played as JAX. For some reason When I played as that character I could always beat him and it drove him crazy. So from that day on it has been my user name in everything and the 377 is just my birth month and year cause when I started on PSN with the PS3 I had to add something to keep me from getting confused with the little kids in online games being dicks.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i had a noise music act called #Phonepunk# where i had circuit bent old landline phones and ran them through effects pedals and whatnot. played a lot of dive bars and art galleries. some of that stuff is on youtube. also had an act called NTSC which was the same w CRTs.

Kadayi

Banned
It's a derivative of a blink and miss it Replicants name in PKDs 'Do android dream of Electric Sheep' the inspiration for Blade Runner: -

"Oh, this?" Kadalyi said. "Interesting, isn't it?"
He tugged it from his belt holster. "I got this on Mars."
"I thought I knew every handgun made," Rick said. "Even those manufactured at and for use in the colonies."
"We made this ourselves," Kadalyi said, beaming like a Slavic Santa, his ruddy face inscribed with pride.
"You like it? What is different about it, functionally, is — here, take it." He passed the gun over to Rick, who inspected it expertly, by way of years of experience.
"How does it differ functionally?" Rick asked. He couldn't tell.
"Press the trigger." Aiming upward, out the window of the car, Rick squeezed the trigger of the weapon. Nothing happened; no beam emerged. Puzzled, he turned to Kadalyi.
"The triggering circuit," Kadalyi said cheerfully, "isn't attached. It remains with me. You see?" He opened his hand, revealed a tiny unit. "And I can also direct it, within certain limits. Irrespective of where it's aimed."
"You're not Polokov, you're Kadalyi," Rick said.
"Don't you mean that the other way around? You're a bit confused."
"I mean you're Polokov, the android; you're not from the Soviet police." Rick, with his toe, pressed the emergency button on the floor of his car.
"Why won't my laser tube fire?" Kadalyi-Polokov said, switching on and off the miniaturized triggering and aiming device which he held in the palm of his hand.
"A sine wave," Rick said. "That phases out laser emanation and spreads the beam into ordinary light."
"Then I'll have to break your pencil neck." The android dropped the device and, with a snarl, grabbed with both hands for Rick's throat.

I used to roll with Kadayi-Polokov at various places but shortened it to Kadayi in the end for the sake of brevity, and I lost the L because people struggled to say it.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's a derivative of a blink and miss it Replicants name in PKDs 'Do android dream of Electric Sheep' the inspiration for Blade Runner: -
I used to roll with Kadayi-Polokov at various places but shortened it to Kadayi in the end for the sake of brevity, and I lost the L because people struggled to say it.
Such a good book. The movie omits this facet of Deckard's paranoia. I love the scene where he goes to the "other" police station.

Kadayi

Banned
Such a good book. The movie omits this facet of Deckard's paranoia. I love the scene where he goes to the "other" police station.

Yeah. Although I'm a huge fan of the films, the book is great. so much of PKDs work just digs into that sort of strange terrain of Dicks own Paranoid fantasies. If you've never read it I highly recommend a 'A Scanner Darkly' which tbh is a great read. The rotoscoped Film version by Linklater with Keanu & RDJ is also pretty awesome as well.

TacosNSalsa

My family is from Trinidad and a Jumbie is demon , devil, evil ghost ..something along those lines . The Ah is just the way people normally speak if using Jumbie in a sentence . Like "Look ah Jumbie there"

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Yeah. Although I'm a huge fan of the films, the book is great. so much of PKDs work just digs into that sort of strange terrain of Dicks own Paranoid fantasies. If you've never read it I highly recommend a 'A Scanner Darkly' which tbh is a great read. The rotoscoped Film version by Linklater with Keanu & RDJ is also pretty awesome as well.
I own it but haven't read it. Now I have to read it soon because I've been putting it off.

BANGS

Banned
It's a long story... but basically it references another board I post in and my love of bass heavy electronica...

Valonquar

Valonquar is from the Game of Thrones books. Pretty miffed they skimped out on the usage in the show. In the scene where Cersei goes to the fortune teller, she is told the Valonquar will kill her. In High Valerian, it can mean "Little Brother" but it's a loose translation that leaves it open to other meanings. Cersei is convinced it means Tyrion will kill her and is another of her justifications for being a total cunt to him. Fan theories range from it being actually Jaime, who would also qualify as little brother, or even Dany as "little sister"

Overall I just thought it was a nifty sounding word to use. In my defense I picked me name before the shows ever came out.

Last edited:
As a young boy, my parents often took me and my siblings to France for summer vacation, and I was always fascinated by the different shops they had there.

One of them was InterMarché, with the logo of lined up musketeers:

I always thought that was a pretty cool logo, so I wanted to use it as my avatar. The name combines the musketeers from the logo and "Inter" from the store's name.

kingwingin

Was playing some game back in the day and i had just built a new pc with a kingwin case. When i was making the username i tried kingwin, taken. Kingwing, taken. Kingwingin, available.

Used it ever since

Javthusiast

Banned
My name is simply one of the most hated genres of hentai spelled backwards.

Hint: Mostly hated by vanilla h fans, lmao.

Top Bottom