• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What famous persons death has affected you the most?

Andy Whitfield. I saw season 1 of that show Spartacus on Netflix and then happened to see his cancer documentary right after. I never went back for season 2 I was so disappointed.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Probably John Peel (famous Late Night BBC Radio 1 DJ who broke a lot of Bands) who just died suddenly whilst on Holiday

Bowie. Never that huge a fan but still, he was kind of a fixture.

GV82

The one thats affected me the most was Chris Cornell.

When I heard Sound Garden’s black hole sun at 12 years old in 1994, it changed my life, that band started me on a path of the type of music I listened to for the rest of my life so far, Starting with Grunge/Alternative, through to Rock & Metal.

finowns

Heath Ledger and Christopher Hitchens come to mind mostly because both were still producing great works which we are now deprived

Teletraan1

Banned
Dimebag. Guy is a legend. Felt like I knew him from all of the home videos from back in the day. By all accounts one of the nicest most genuine people who ever existed. Getting shot on stage doing what he loved is the definition of tragedy.

xrnzaaas

Steve Jobs definitely had another 10 years of CEOing to do but passed away too early. it'd be cool for him to see how far Apple had come.

Apple would be more effificent at sucking its fans dry with him still in charge, that's for sure.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

This is hard to answer. I've never made a deep connection with a famous person. They are out there, not here. Any affect of the death would be more from the collective mourning of the people around.

edit:

I understand if it's the death of person close to you. But this idolization of people like us who just happen to be famous to the point that their deaths affect us? Come on. They're people... not gods.

At the end of the day that's all they are, people. I can understand that some celebrities and other figures out there may have had profound impacts on the directions of a persons life. In those cases I can see why people seriously would mourn. For me though, they are just people.

Last edited:

WindomURL

Christopher Tolkien is dead at 95. This one really hurts.
original-3877d8c831ce7e17da67c670cd34f68e.jpg

TUROK

Robin Williams

its was a gut punch to realize that even someone who seemed to have everything you could dream of and appeared to be so full of life and joy could still be miserably depressed and powerless over his addictive tendencies, leading him to eventually just killing himself.

as a recovering alcoholic dealing with depression (ive been a year and a half sober but i swear to god im still emotionally withdrawing from not having drugs or alcohol to consume, it sucks dick rn bc im going through it bad), it makes me wonder if ill just end up the same and this whole fight will have been for nothing.

oh, and although he's a cartoon character and the series finale hasnt aired wait, if bojack jumps off a bridge like secretariat im seriously going to just take a week off of life, lol, cant handle that rn
He didn't commit suicide over depression or substance abuse, he did it because he had lewy body dementia and was literally losing himself.

Horrible disease.

Kev Kev

He didn't commit suicide over depression or substance abuse, he did it because he had lewy body dementia and was literally losing himself.

Horrible disease.
what?

never heard that before. i thought he struggled with alcoholism and depression his whole life and eventually couldnt take it anymore

SpartanN92

Banned
When Kevin Spacey’s career died I was devastated.

In all seriousness though 100% Steve Jobs. That man changed the world like 5 times. Absolutely a once in a lifetime figure in the corporate/tech world. He’s turning in his grave at just how little Apple has innovated since his passing.

Lrnex

Satoru Iwata. He helped shape a big part of my childhood during his tenure with Nintendo. He was personable and engaged with the fan base through the Directs which made him the literal face of the company for investors and players alike. The way he handled the WiiU’s failure with a paycut for himself and other executives was so commendable and I have infinite respect for him and that servant-leader management style. I wish more CEOs would emulate that.

Also all the fan art that came out around his passing legit tugged at my heartstrings.

Elisabeth Sladen and Nicholas Courtney, aka Sarah Jane Smith and Brigadier Alistair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart from Doctor Who.

Growing up, Doctor Who gave me far more of a moral compass to follow than my family ever did.

After the Doctor, who could sometimes be as arragant and inhumane as the monsters he fought, it was these two who I looked up to, who showed me what I could be in the face of any injustice or fear, that gave me an example of strength, courage and hope in the face of things that were impossible to overcome, and that that just meant it was more important than ever to try to.

They gave me something to measure myself against, as melodramatic as that sounds, and I hope I've been able to live up to that example in my own small, boring way.

g2KPLOQ.jpg

OAeFyTY.jpg

ka5qAOW.jpg

Their deaths just hurt so much.

bronk

Banned
Super random but Lil Bub passing made me extremely sad. More than any celebrity i can recall lately.

paparazzo

Chris Cornell. Audioslave was the first band to really pique my interest in music, and (most of) Chris' work was pretty formative in developing my taste in music.

The only famous persons death that affected me was Sean Taylor. Being a Redskins fan my whole life(sadly) it really hit me hard. We were around the same age and the fact he died defending his family really added to it.

I'm not really a person emotionally affected by a famous person's death, but the death of Aaliyah in 2001 did hit quite hard. She was a very down-to-earth and likable girl, as well as extremely talented. A loss.

highrider

Banned

Naw man. Dude was just dealt a shitty hand.

His divorces didn’t help, and forced him to make a lot of shitty movies to service the ridiculous alimony. Pretty much ruined his life. He should have been relaxing at that phase of his career, not burning the candle at both ends to pay off the ex-wives.

Elitist1945

I never really let celebrity passings effect me, until Carrie Fisher. Balled my eyes out. And then balled my eyes again a few days later when Debbie Reynolds died.

highrider

Banned
George Michael. We are about the same age, he was slightly older than me. I’m a fan of great pop songs and vocal arrangements, and he was a supremely gifted dude with some personal demons, which I related to. I was in Germany when he really became popular and girls thought I looked like him. It helped me a lot George 👍 miss ya bro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom