• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What function(s) will be included next-generation?

This generation ushered in DVDs and custom soundtracks. What will next generation systems include?

I imagine that at least the Xbox Next will have a built in or available Media Center and at least basic integration with Windows XP or the next generation Windows. Built in Tivo is really out-of-the-way to be included in a basic console. I wouldn't deny the possibility that there would be an add-on or special edition (Like the Panasonic Cube) but it would not be integrated as DVD was this generation.

What do you think?

I think Sony has already mentioned they're thinking about including an Eye Toy like camera with the Playstation 3 right outta the box and letting users navigate through menus "Minority Report" style among other things.

I think wireless controllers may also become more of a standard.

missAran

Online should come packaged with each system. Wireless controllers as well. Hard drives, too.

I really hope they have something that we're not thinking of, something to really transform games.

xabre

Banned
If a next gen console doesn't have hard drive storage and internet connectivity on launch, out of the box, I'm not buying it. If either Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo think I'm happy to spend reams of cash on 'extras' to add this functionality to my barebones system then they can all go get fucked.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd expect Xbox2 to have media extender functionality built in, to help sell XP media center 2006.

PS3? Not sure. Maybe connectivity to their wireless AV stuff/Vaio servers etc. I don't think Sony are as advanced with the network stuff as MS (Media Center + extender is a nicely done combination).

PLEASE let sony have triggers that can be used as accelerator/brake. Also move them down a bit (I hate using R1+L1 as they almost dislocate my fingers. R2/L2 are in the right place). Also replace the analog stick with something more responsive/less slippery.

Wireless won't happen inbox at launch, but maybe 1st party accessory available at launch.

Online straight away - ethernet socket built in. Brave ones might have a wifi slot for an accessory card (wifi 'g' bridges are really expensive and difficult to find - a big gap with wired kit IMO)

Four controller sockets (maybe even PS3)

SickBoy

xabre said:
If a next gen console doesn't have hard drive storage and internet connectivity on launch, out of the box, I'm not buying it. If either Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo think I'm happy to spend reams of cash on 'extras' to add this functionality to my barebones system then they can all go get fucked.

I thought -- and I may be totally off base here, because I don't actively follow every breath on the next gen -- anyhow, I thought it had been said that Microsoft wasn't going to include a HDD in its next-gen console.

If they're the company doing it now and they don't plan to do it in the future, I doubt we can hold our breath on the others...

Anyhow, I totally agree. I think a HD is a huge feature on a console... it was a nice selling point on the Xbox, and I love how well it works. I'll probably end up with a next-gen system sooner or later, HD or no, though... but I'm not in a rush given all the unplayed quality stuff from this generation that's still out there for me... and cheap

I really hope that the next gen consoles are equipped with built in wifi functionality, a storage medium such as the HDD in the xbox and much better encryption/protection against hackers/pirates.

Top Bottom