• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

amigastar

Just noticed Chained Echoes is on Game Pass.
Gonna try it out, it has good reviews so far
Also enjoying Marvel's Midnights Suns currently and Xcom Ufo Defense from 1994.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Playing Phantasy Star IV for the first time. It's kinda hilariously bad in story.

Fun enough to play with some archaic systems (I can't seem to even be able to sort my inventory which doesn't stack items so they all show up in order of acquiring rather than by type or whatever, it's not been a problem yet with a limited number of them but, we'll see). but, even though theoretically it's a fine setting and plot, if you read a synopsis or something it's not gonna sound bad at all, the usual ancient civilization tech unearthed or discovered, new baddie trying to do something with it crap and all, but just the way it's so juvenile and simplistic about everything is funny.

Go around exploring after a mission as a hunter or whatever and it appears this Zio guy has been wreaking havok across the land, you meet a destroyed village here, another where its people have been turned to stone there. The party leader is being all greedy asking more money from this one client about every new thing encountered, that's actually a nice funny bit every so often, the last time he went all how it was gonna be his marriage funds.

But yeah it's like. You meet random character who goes:
- My parents were killed by Zio and I want revenge take me with you (some character chimes in about how maybe it's better not to). I'm going anyway!
- Ok dude come along!

Go in temple to rescue this scientist, turns out it's some kind of ancient lab or whatever, you find the grandpa.
- This area seems safe, how did you ever survive this long?!
- This person saved me!

Out pops an elf ear chick like she was hiding behind him all this time so they didn't see her.
- WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT'S WITH THOSE EARS!
- I'm Rika! Come talk to Seed he'll lexplain it all!

Go to next room.
- Ok who's Seed?!
- He's in front of you (the computer)!
- I'm Seed! Hi, this lab and others like it are keeping your planet ecosystem and climate in check so the human race could survive past the apocalypse but it's old and malfunctioning so you better destroy it or it'll do more harm than good hence all the monsters around and you can do this by destroying this central structure that powers all such structures. But you need to rescue this android for it as only it can destroy that!
- Where's the android?!
- Zio has it!
- That bastard!
- Also take Rika with you she's my daughter made from 1000 years of improvement and evolution on the bioengineering systems or whatever and she'll help!
- Awesome, we'll take her!

Go back out that place. Seed self destructs the whole place mumbling about now knowing Rika will complete the task.
- Rika you have to look ahead and fulfill Seed's wish!
- Ok!

Just funny as heck how simplistic every dialogue and everything is like children wrote it. I wonder if it's the same in Japanese. This seems like one of those, it's only a famous series because it was made by Sega and they didn't have anything else to compete against Final Fantasy with so it has to do.
Lol you know, there’s always been the “anything but Final Fantasy/Squaresoft” part of the JRPG community. Phantasy Star 4 was one of the games they loved to champion back in the early days.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished Callisto Protocol and really enjoyed it. My expectations were lowered due to some of the reviews, but I liked it a lot more than the negative reviews.

After that went to start Tiny Tina's Wonderland as I bought it during Black Friday on sale. Got into character creation and the second I saw they force you to pick your pronouns, immediately quit the game and will be gifting it to someone for Christmas.

So now am awaiting Grime to come out in a week. Until then I think I'm gonna mess with Blasphemous and maybe dabble in Sonic Frontiers a bit. Wanted to play Evil West, but I ordered it and it isn't due to ship for weeks. Must be low on stock.

final fantasy vii on switch.

was in cloud/tifa's home town after cosmo canyon and went around talking to spooky black cloaked people. went into the mansion and found sephiroth. unlocked a safe and fought a boss. died to it and now i need to start over again yey. will give it another try tomorrow.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Gran Turismo 7
Nioh 2
Dark Souls 2 (frustrating)
Diablo 2 Resurrected.

Ans just downloaded and played The Surge (1) great first impressions damn.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
A lot of Dwarf Fortress. Got the basic game mechanics down, to the point where I even built a well without flooding the whole fortress.

Now that I know how to play it's just about surviving, exploring the caves and comfy fortress design while enjoying whatever random shit happens at the fort. Quite an addicting game if you manage to get into it, wouldn't recommend unless you have a lot of spare time.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
I'm in between Shadow of the Colossus and Dragon Ball FighterZ on console. I ordered Monster Hunter World online because Target was sold out in store. That's awesome and crazy all at the same time.

SotC: the game looks fantastic, especially if you have a nice setup. Jumping in and taking down a Colossus in a short amount of time is fantastic.

DBFZ: I'm not a huge multiplayer person. The last time I played multiplayer was CoD WW2. I do enjoy playing fighting games. I tend to stick to combo tutorials, story, practice and arcade. It's a lot of fun for me because I've been wanting a good DBZ fighting game for years.

I started Ninja Gaiden 2 on Vita. The slow downs are a big let down, but it's a lot of fun to play. It can't touch the 360 version. Which would be great if the XBO had BC for it.

Also Lunar on iOS. It's a wonderful port (if it doesn't crash lol not too often though) and I beta tested the 64-bit version. It was a lot of fun and work to tell them where the game crashed or why there was a black bar here and not there. SoMoGa were very nice and asked a lot of questions.

It does. At least I own it and it’s playable on my series X

Hestar69

As dusk falls on Chapter 4 - Not bad so far

GOW Ragnarok (about 24hrs in) - good but some parts are a dragggg

With Hades 2 announced, I tried to get back into it.. got to second boss and died, I'm bad at this game. What's the best weapon to use?

Crayon

Big fat nothing. I kind of wanted to pop in horizon and shoot dinosaurs but since last week picked up a non-video-game to dabble with and it's had my attention.

Finished Callisto Protocol and really enjoyed it. My expectations were lowered due to some of the reviews, but I liked it a lot more than the negative reviews.

After that went to start Tiny Tina's Wonderland as I bought it during Black Friday on sale. Got into character creation and the second I saw they force you to pick your pronouns, immediately quit the game and will be gifting it to someone for Christmas.

So now am awaiting Grime to come out in a week. Until then I think I'm gonna mess with Blasphemous and maybe dabble in Sonic Frontiers a bit. Wanted to play Evil West, but I ordered it and it isn't due to ship for weeks. Must be low on stock.
I enjoyed my time with Callisto Protocol. It's not a perfect game by any means, but it's enjoyable in it's own way. Played it on PS5, so that obviously reflects my experience.

It's funny, some users here on GAF, after seeing the divisive score for that game, would rather play Midnight Suns, because it fared a lot better with reviewers.
To be so swayed by reviewers like that seems... sheepish, sorry to say. I would rather play a survival horror game that's to my taste than anything reviewers tell me what I ought to play.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned
Finished Pokémon Violet last week and despite all the jank I had a total blast. Completed the Pokédex and got a few perfect IV/EV Pokémon. Not sure how much I'll play it in the future since there's no national Dex but we'll see.

Since then I've been totally hooked on Persona 5 Royal. Already 50 hours in after a week and just completed the fourth Palace. It's very story-heavy, and the stories get pretty dark, but it's been a great game so far. Taking my time working on the relationship and skill stuff trying to balance it out. Should have it finished before the holidays easily at this time.

Next game I wanna dive in is the new Mario Kart 8 DLC but that'll have to wait.

bender

What time is it?
Not to echo a lot of people’s thoughts, but Vampire Survivors.

Not since XBLA Geometry Wars have I been hooked like this.
wolf-of-wall-street-jordan-belfort.gif

The_hunter

Finished Uncharted legacy of thieves. I really liked Uncharted 4, both the narrative and the combat were good. Destructible cover system was a great addition.

Last edited:

Duchess

Completed the RE8 speed run. Clocked in at 2h 25m. Got the Knives Out, Frugal Father, Dashing Dad, and Don't Trust that Snake Oil trophies all at once.

Now playing Alwa's Legacy.

NahaNago

Just finished Stray. I thought it was pretty good. I'd give it a rating of B-. I did start Stranger of Paradise but I've only been through like 2 dungeon like areas since I like to grind. I also started up Gran Turismo but I don't plan to pick it back up to play it again until I finish a few more games because I feel like I will be addicted to the campaign mode.

marjo

Playing through Midnight Suns, which is currently my GOTY. Also, just finished Portal RTX and immediately started a replay of Portal 2, since those games are amazing.

Davey Cakes

I've had a variety of things in my Steam rotation. Vampire Survivors has dominated my playtime, but some nights I like to take a break from that and dip into Dark Souls 3 DLC or Infernax.

I'm still working through A Hat in Time as well. That really scratches the 3D platformer itch.

Crayon

What did you pick up?

Classic tabletop battletech! I was playing too much of that mechwarrior 5. Grinding for c-bills while listening to battletech lore. Then last weekend I found myself out in the city with time to kill and I was like... I wonder if you can still buy the tabletop game? Searched for 'd&d near me' and I was only a 30 minute walk away from a store called gamescape.

So now I have many tiny Mechs and paints and dice and rules to goof around with. Many. The kids helping me at the store were very fun to talk to and helpful and I kind of bought a lot of shit.

Have some buyers remorse here over the fucking paints. Jeez. Maybe I should have decided to paint them all the same color lol.

I didn't buy this to play necessarily; I might have one friend who would be interested for memory lane. We got a box set one summer when were were kids and had a great time. I've always loved battletech tho and I thought it would be cool to have my own set since the game is a classic and the rules never seem to change.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Norco is such a moody, disorienting, unusual game. I've seen it described as a fever dream and that's pretty accurate. Youre purposefully prevented from ever truly getting your bearings and feeling comfortable. Pretty interesting so far.

I dont think it will beat Citizen Sleeper and Pentiment for me but I'm into it. Its like Hotline Miami cutscenes + Requiem for a Dream + Total Recall + Unpacking.

Last edited:

SSfox

Just started DQ11S (via PS plus). Platiniumed DQ11 back when it was release, Obviousely as Switch Port it look bit inferior graphics wise than DQ11 PS4 vanilla, but it's not as bad as i though and excited to see the lot (from what i heard) new stuff in this game.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Soon finished with Broken Sword: Shadows of the Templars. It's always good to be back in this universe. One of the finest point and click games ever created. Will jump right in on the second one after.

Of course, after that, I was in the mood for some more Charles Cecil, so I tried out his newest game Beyond a Steel Sky. Pleasantly surprised so far and it is definitely in line with his previous work. I haven't played the first one so I'm kinda lost on some of the backstory but I'm quite intrigued anyway. Beautiful art by Dave Gibbons. It has a nice cel shaded artstyle and the colors really pop on the Switch OLED. Looks great.

Certinty

Played through half of The Quarry and I’m shocked not more people raved about this game.

Absolutely loving it so far even more than Until Dawn. Supermassive Games when making full priced fairly high budget games are underrated as hell.

Shakka43

I'm currently playing The Division in co-op, and finishing up Ender Lilies, great Metroidvania with good modern graphics and no souls like features.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Gotta be nearing the end of act 2 in Norco. I can totally see how this is on GOTY lists now. Shit is crazy. Im loving it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It does. At least I own it and it’s playable on my series X
Yup and that was back in 2018. NG2 became backwards compatible in April 2019. It sure took them a while. It runs great on XBO. Probably the best console to play it on because it wasn’t censored.

After finishing The Callisto Protocol I’ve been playing Ys VIII. It has all perks of a big JRPG packed into a smaller game. The combat is fast and satisfying. I’ve been playing Vampire Survivors on mobile and it’s been the best mobile game I’ve played in a long time.

Hestar69

Just started DQ11S (via PS plus). Platiniumed DQ11 back when it was release, Obviousely as Switch Port it look bit inferior graphics wise than DQ11 PS4 vanilla, but it's not as bad as i though and excited to see the lot (from what i heard) new stuff in this game.
is there a new trophy list for this game? If so,I might have to plat it again.

sammyys

Banned
I read about fruit slot machines and decided to try my luck. I like easy light games and this is a fun way to gamble and potentially win some money without risking too much. I often play them just for fun. Hope the lady lcuk will be on my side. There are many games so I can play new games every day.

Roberts

So, I completed Breathedge right before it leaves Gamepass.

The first two - three acts play like a parody/rip-off/homage of Subnautica and the last three acts are a lot shorter/more linear affair but more focused on its ridiculous story. It's janky, incredibly stupid (intentionally) cosmic joke of a game that seems to be written by very nerdy forum dwellers (It references and spoofs Chuck Norris, Greta Thunberg, Star Wars, Shining, Subnautica itself, Alien and pretty much every other sci-fi property known to man), but if we talk about scope then it is also one of the more ambitious indie games I have played recently. It is also not a game for easily annoyed as it sort of relishes on being a game equivalent of an asshole: the AI that communicates with you throughout the game can potentially drive you nuts with its obnoxious tone and the controls are intentionally made un-intuitive. The jokes are terrible even though there are a handful of genuinely funny moments.

And yet, I really liked it. It's fun, the progression is well-handled and there is tons to do in it.

Top Bottom