• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

KHkO8EE.jpg

I wonder how many of these they'll make. I still like them, but I wish they'd change the formula more, make them somewhat challenging and put a bit more money into making them instead of reusing 90% of the same assets.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Playing more BF2042 with friends this week who get to try it during the free week (Dec 16th to 23rd).

Also getting around to playing through R&C Rift Apart. I forgot how easy going and fun these games are. Game plays like a dream too.

Really into Marvel Snap after downloading it a few days ago. Games are really fast and the smaller deck sizes are a nice change. Everything paid is cosmetic and getting new cards is frequent.

Last edited:

lachesis

I think I'm going on about the climax of the story for Trails from Zero Kai. 4th chapter, 3rd day.
Very manga/anime-esque storytelling, that I am enjoying it much - the whole chapter thing makes it feel like that way.

But the game, I noticed since Trails of Sky 1-3, seem to have a lot of micro-collectibles (books) that's only available on certain point only, and gone forever. I mean, who have all the time to talk to all the NPC's in the game at any given time... :( It seems like it's nearly impossible to get them all w/o help of a guide - as they are almost randomly spread out. While some of them are good reads, but I'd say it's tedious. Same goes to the whole side quests. Some are pretty interesting and does help develop the characters... but I think I'm at the point of getting tired of going point A-B-C-D and return to A, then report at the HQ etc.

Good thing is that the QoL improvements are definitely there - that fast traveling, fast walking mode, faster battle pace thanks to the somewhat randomly done mass-attacks if you attack the enemy from behind etc. I however found the battles a bit tad easier on some bosses than, say - Lorence guy in Trails of Sky FC. (Then again, you are supposed to lose that battle.) - and some crafts skills are quite OP. It does add some layers into the tactics, which I appreciate.

Level cap is another thing on these series. That was one of my biggest gripe of the early trails games. A lot of times, you don't feel like getting enough out of any given battles, and someone who likes to over prepare earlier on and give the bosses the humble pie w/o breaking too much sweat. I see the intent - and feel that it's been a bit relaxed since Sky series...

Anyhow, I am going on with the manga like story and the expansive lore, more modern struggle between different political entities and parties etc. But it does feel like it could have been a good 20 hour RPG than 50-60 hour thing per. It sometimes feel like game play itself is in the way of storytelling, which honestly is stronger part of the game. Quarts system is similar to the Materia system on OG FF7, which I had no problem... but I am still struggling with what combination of Quarts I should use for any given characters. It seems more open for different characterization, but also very limiting at the same time too.

Looking forward to finish the game, brief break on the series as I've been neglecting my consoles for quite some time now, and play the follow ups later.

Yumi

Started Chained Echos on gamepass. Really scratching the 90’s JRPG it’s, but with loads of quality of life improvements I always wanted back in the day. Everything is snappy, easy to read buff and debuff stats on enemies, turn order, etc.

The overdrive bar mechanic is where the combat shines so far, it a great way to introduce decision making during combat, making sacrifices to keep the meter in the sweet spot.

Also doing Margit runs in Elden Ring with base stat and equipment Thief (or whatever the Elden Ring class equivalent is). Don’t normally do challenge run things, but having a blast with the buckler parry. He also doesn’t one shot you at base level, just two shot, so it seems doable even for me. Have got him to phase 2 a couple times. I’ve played all the souls games and I think Margit might be one of my fave bosses. Lots of ways to take him down.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Oregon Trail (new one) Very relaxing and fun. The sense of wonder and mystery of what will happen always makes it all the more enjoyable

Chained Echoes. Amazing game that does away with grinding. Without the presence of levels, you can never be over leveled or under leveled. It makes strategic plays a lot more important. It makes every encounter exciting and not a throwaway battle.

Highly recommend both.

Corian33

Mass Effect Legendary. Only played ME1 back in the day, so it’s been fun to finally play these things. I already knew a lot about ME2 but now I’m on to ME3 which I really have no idea what happens.

Was very annoyed about one bit of the ME2 ending. I knew about doing the loyalty missions and trying to keep everyone alive. I did not know about how you can lose the crew. I did all the missions before the IFF thing where you get Legion, but then I looked at the galaxy map before waking him up, which triggered the final sequence. Anyway, I had a couple saves going, but by the time I realized my mistake I had saved over them. I kept all the characters alive, but lost half the crew. Bleh.

Regardless, the first couple hours of ME3 have been awesome, so I can’t wait to keep going with that.

Girlfriend is gone all day today 🤪

Going to finish up Norco. Doing all of act 3 in a row.
Throw in a few levels of Gungrave. Still making my way through it.
Throw in some Splatoon 3 runs.
Then back to High on Life for the rest of the day.

Gandih42

After booting up Astral Chain for the first time a few months ago, I finally had time to dig in and beat chapters 3 and 4 today.

I'm astonished by the amount of moves they've spread across the various combinations of Legions and the three weapons. Really awesome game so far, with great up and downtime.

Ywap

Far Cry 6 second playthrough to test the Guerilla difficulty.

The over-the-top story and action is so great in this game. And who doesn´t love the setting? :pie_sfwth:

Last edited:

Fredrik

Just met the norns in GOWR. Hoping for some kind of surprise soon, I think it’s slowing down too much right now, was better early on.

Started a new character in Elden Ring, wretch and will avoid mimic tear to increase the challenge a bit.

Played some The Witcher 3 as well at the next gen patch launch day. Ran like shit. Closed it after 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Duchess

Alwa's Legacy.

Hmm, it's a mixed bag in my opinion. Some frustrating design decisions resulted in me getting stuck and needing to look at a walkthrough. Almost finished it, but not sure I would recommend it. My opinion does run contrary to many of those found elsewhere, though.

Currently bouncing between NFS Unbound on PC, Yakuza 5 on the Deck and Horizon FW on the PS5. All great games, I don't care what any one says.
NFS unbound is dope, no shame there. I was initially lukewarm on HFW, but i sat down to give it a fair shake today, and man this game continues to impress. Probably going to put a fair bit of time into it.

Tunned

How well does it run? I might replay some of those on the Deck.

Also... what do you think of it so far? It's one of my favorite in the series.
It runs really well on the Deck, high settings and fps capped at 30fps in the game menu, no hiccups what so ever and it looks and plays great (same goes for Yakuza 4). Oh and battery last over 4 hours at 30 fps and the Deck stays silent whilst playing.

I'm really enjoying the game so far, I have only reached chapter 4 so far, the story is getting interesting, looking forward to play more. Loved the story in Y4, Y5's story is starting to look just as good.

Roberts

Mostly trying to catch up with this year's movies before the year ends, but

Playing Grounded when my friend has time. We are making slow progress, but the game keeps on giving.
Even though I initially didn't like it at all, my daughter is pestering me to play Ni No Kuni and I'm starting to enjoy it. We are trying to defeat Shadar for what I assume is the first time of many.
Also, playing High on Life when everybody has gone to bed.

Nier Automata on the Switch. I have the PS4 version as well, but I also hope that they release this versions extra content and a PS5 upgrade in the future. I will always be there day -1 for Yoko Taro games.

I played this game on Steam when it first came out. I was a huge fan of the game despite the Steam release having issues. I'm planning on rebuying it on Switch. How does it look and run on Switch?

Reactions: Isa

-Zelda-

Banned
I played this game on Steam when it first came out. I was a huge fan of the game despite the Steam release having issues. I'm planning on rebuying it on Switch. How does it look and run on Switch?

Runs and looks surprisingly well compared to other ports to the console.

Don't really like these guys, but I can't find anyone else on youtube that does this sort of thing as good as they do:

Interestingly, I think that the trees and bushes being less full adds to the dead feel the world is supposed to have and feel like, including some textures that are weaker as well.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Midnight Suns
Not really liking it personally. I wish there was an option to make the combat animations faster.

Runs and looks surprisingly well compared to other ports to the console.

Don't really like these guys, but I can't find anyone else on youtube that does this sort of thing as good as they do:

Interestingly, I think that the trees and bushes being less full adds to the dead feel the world is supposed to have and feel like, including some textures that are weaker as well.

I'll buy the physical eventually than

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Playing red faction armageddon because its been in my backlog for ages.

Really want to play wow but I'm not interested in buying a sub anymore.

About a third of the way into the story with PS5 Spider-Man: MM with some sprinkling in of OW2. Going to jump into Gravity Rush or Trials of Mana after MM is done.

tylrdiablos

I stuck 2 hours into High on Life (GamePass) then uninstalled it. I like shooters but I just don't like any of this game. The art-style, the fov, the controls, the humour... Even as a Rick & Morty fan... I just can't find anything appealing in here.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
i bought elden ring for the second time on PC after buying it on Xbox, i didn't care for the game a lot when i was playing it on there
i've gone back to it with more of an open mind and it's more interesting and fun to me now. I've killed 2 bosses, bloodhound darriwil (the weapon he drops is really good for the early game, the blood loss effect is super useful) and Leonine Misbegotten. I honestly don't know when or if i'll be able to go against margit yet or godrick.... speaking of, where do i even find the latter?

Also, after a while i managed to get online play for Mario Kart Wii set up on my dolphin installation through wiimmfi, it was a blast. quick tip for anyone who also wants to do this... have an actual Wii/vWii NAND backup on hand. You won't be able to connect to the servers otherwise. And yes, this also means you can't connect to the online servers unless you actually do have a Wii or a friend's wii on hand. Wiimmfi really likes screwing dolphin users over like that :/

Last edited:

M1987

i bought elden ring for the second time on PC after buying it on Xbox, i didn't care for the game a lot when i was playing it on there
i've gone back to it with more of an open mind and it's more interesting and fun to me now. I've killed 2 bosses, bloodhound darriwil (the weapon he drops is really good for the early game, the blood loss effect is super useful) and Leonine Misbegotten. I honestly don't know when or if i'll be able to go against margit yet or godrick.... speaking of, where do i even find the latter?

Also, after a while i managed to get online play for Mario Kart Wii set up on my dolphin installation through wiimmfi, it was a blast. quick tip for anyone who also wants to do this... have an actual Wii/vWii NAND backup on hand. You won't be able to connect to the servers otherwise. And yes, this also means you can't connect to the online servers unless you actually do have a Wii or a friend's wii on hand. Wiimmfi really likes screwing dolphin users over like that :/
You can't get to Godrick until you've beat Margit

M1987

time to start grinding then. know of any easier bosses i can do in the meantime to level up easier?

striker forging GIF by Ken's Custom Iron's Custom Iron
There's a couple of mini bosses around that area in the catacombs,but i don't think they pay out enough runes to level up that much.When I first started,I just used to kill the people in the area,go to the nearest bonfire or whatever it's called,and repeat.Once you have beat Margit and Godfrey,it becomes much easier to level up

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Been bouncing around Tactics Ogre, Atari 50th Anniversary, Crisis Core, Ys VIII, and Vampire Survivors. It definitely feels like 2022 is coming to an end. TCP is probably the last AAA game I finished this year. I’m excited for March and June next year. End of the year has put me in a mood where I’m switching games to play different styles rather than sticking to one game only.
time to start grinding then. know of any easier bosses i can do in the meantime to level up easier?

How do you do against the trolls? You could also venture south and fight some bears.

Fbh

Demon Souls Remake: It has been fun going back to this game as I haven't played it since the OG Ps3 release. Its nice going back to some bosses that gave me a really hard time on my first playthrough, like The Flamelurker, and using years of Souls experience to beat his ass on my first try. Also the graphics are indeed really nice.
All of that said, I'm definitely missing some of the improvements and new mechanics of more recent games.

Pokemon Scarlet: Borrowed it from a friend. Despite all the issues it is pretty fun, but now that I've beaten 4 gyms and the novelty of the open world and seamlessness is starting to wear off it's becoming harder to ignore the issues beyond just the tech stuff (like the boring open world, annoying plot, lack of any challenge, etc). Not sure I'll finish it.

Last edited:
The Witcher 1. :messenger_fearful:
i wanted to play the new Witcher 3 update but then i got to thinking i never finished Witcher 2 on xbox. I got like halfway thru it. So i put that on. Then realized i actually bought Witcher 1 enhanced edition for like a dollar years ago and only played for an hour and a half.

So i've jumped head first into the original Witcher game. And im loving it. The look and atmosphere of it is great. Combat not so much

There are two easy ways to farm runes at this stage.

You can kill Greyroll the dragon ( there will be plenty of guides to doing this online) or, the more fun way is to activate some summoning pools and get co-oping. You won’t lose runes when you die and you get to learn dungeons/boss movesets. As well as bond with fellow tarnished.

Last edited:
Ms. Pac-Man for the Atari Lynx. I bought the arcade version on PS4 but I have a hard time having it recognize some of my inputs and was getting frustrated.

• Thoughtful
Top Bottom