• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Thief1987

I'm almost done with Trails of Cold Steel 2. I'm not sure if I will play the Azure games or continue with Cold Steel 3 or 4. Either way, I will take a break from the series for a couple of month. I played CS 1 and 2 back to back. I enjoyed them, but I should probably play something else to avoid burnout.
Story-wise it's better to finish Crossbell arc(Zero, Azure) before starting CS 3,4. Playing Sky trilogy also recommended(if you haven't played it), but i understand it may be too much to ask.

Last edited:
Started up Hardspace Shipbreaker. Man, this game is definitely hard core. Really cool vibe. Reminds me of getting my student loans + Aliens 1.

The gameplay is kind of slow obviously, but I'm thinking it probably grows on you. I felt genuinely intimidated when faced with breaking down the first ship. Overcoming that is pretty satisfying. Going to restart it though and play with no time limit. Everything's pretty floaty in space and I'd rather just chill instead of race against a clock.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Callisto Protocol.

Regular run done, now trying the Maximum Security run for the final award.

I'm kinda hate playing the game at this point lol.

After this its a bit of a lul period until Dead Space comes out so might restart Witcher 3 with the new update in January.

Last edited:

stn

Callisto Protocol.

Regular run done, now trying the Maximum Security run for the final award.

I'm kinda hate playing the game at this point lol.

After this its a bit of a lul period until Dead Space comes out so might restart Witcher 3 with the new update in January.
Same here. Almost done my minimum security run, planning to do maximum for the achievement cleanup. I can tell it is going to be irritating and I am already hating it, haha. There used to be a way to glitch it but it was patched out. *cries*

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Same here. Almost done my minimum security run, planning to do maximum for the achievement cleanup. I can tell it is going to be irritating and I am already hating it, haha. There used to be a way to glitch it but it was patched out. *cries*

Yeah, I have the game on disc and I briefly dabbled with the version on disc without updating.

Let me tell you one thing .. they patched the shit out of things in the game, cause what's on disc without any updates is borderline broken.

Woof. This game came in REAAAAAL hot to meet their release deadline.

kungfuian

Thought the holidays would be a fun time to sample a bunch of smaller games I've built up on steam.

So far I've played through three fun solid metroidvanias, Witch and the 66 mushrooms, Lost Ruin, and Beholgar. I had a fun time with each of them and if I had to give them a score it'd be somewhere around the 8 category.

I also just beat Creaks, a really beautiful puzzle platformer with a gorgeous sketch art style and well thought out puzzles. I really enjoyed my time with this one and would recommend it highly if you enjoy the genre.

Labadal

Story-wise it's better to finish Crossbell arc(Zero, Azure) before starting CS 3,4. Playing Sky trilogy also recommended(if you haven't played it), but i understand it may be too much to ask.
Played Sky 1-3. I understand from CS2 why the Crossbell games would be good to play. I will wait for both games to get released, and then play those. CS 3-4 can wait.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Finally completed Horizon Forbidden West. It was a great sequel. Safe and somewhat predictable, but what was there was mighty fun. Guerilla has improved on the original in the best possible way. Traversal, combat, settlements, underwater exploration, diverse biomes and areas, it was all there and it made the game so much better. Graphics were incredible, especially facial animations and interactions with npcs. But the landscapes and settlements you arrived to on your quest was equally impressive.

The game wasn't without its flaws though. Puzzles are boring, with the majority of them consisting of moving boxes and crates. Shit like that needs to go. It's not fun. There is also too many fetch quests and "go there, kill monster, grab items and come back". Main quest was solid but side missions need some workaround. Cut down the bloat and spend the time crafting interesting and meaningful missions instead.

Overall, a great game and a good sequel. The combat is the highlight. The amount of weapons and choice you have to take down the robots are plenty and I never get tired of fighting robot dinosaurs and harvesting their parts. I do hope Guerrilla mixes things up in the DLC and a possible third entry. The Sunwing is a step in the right direction so I hope the PS5 opens up some new and innovative gameplay changes.

Crayon

Still no games for the last couple weeks. Using all my hobby time to paint 24 fucking battletech miniatires!!! I have about eight done. This is my first time. One is outright ruined and will go in the bin lol. My archer has some ugly parts. Both fucked up by trying to use a the same technique, which I abandoned after that. The rest look incredible though. I'm quite proud of them!

Still not sure if I'm every going to play this but I'm going to end up with a very nice set at least. Battletech is near and dear to me so it will be worth it as a keepsake alone.

Astral Dog

Final Fantasy Crisis Core HD is pretty good! the combat is fun and the visuals striking, of course the soundtrack is great as well 👌

Im also replaying an old favorite on the GBA Collection:Castlevania Circle of the Moon 🌕 it is the original Dark Souls in 2D! (without any of the cheap difficulty found in the copycats, just pure awesome), it aged a little of course,but its still fun, moody and challenging.
images

of course the other 2 games are amazing as well but it makes me sad Castlevania is not made anymore 😢oh well, can't wait for the DS Collection.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Terminator Resistance

Very surprised at how good it is so far. I thought I was in for mediocrity given the lukewarm reception but this is really good. Very true to James Camerons vision, especially the opening sequence in his movies with the war against the machines. It's dark and moody with some intense set pieces with the Terminators. The game even has the classic music from Brad Fiedel, albeit being slightly arranged and mixed. But it sets the tone and gives you that epic Terminator -feeling, like this is the actual sequel to T2, something the later movies never did. The only downside so far is the dialogue. Some npc interactions are pretty stiff and cringe. But the action is awesome.

Last edited:

april6e

Just finished Plague Tale 2, such a fantastic series. It was fantastic from start to finish and improved upon the original in pretty much every way. Games like that make you grateful to be a gamer.

I finally made time to actually try out Remnant from the Ashes and it is extremely good. I'm actually sort of blown away that this game didn't get more attention along with the Souls-like craze over the past 8 years or so. It legitimately is probably a top 5 Souls-like I've tried.

Trying to get through my backlog before 2023, the GOAT year for gaming begins with Dead Space remake and Fire Emblem Engage next month.

Last edited:

Crew511A

Terminator Resistance

Very surprised at how good it is so far. I thought I was in for mediocrity given the lukewarm reception but this is really good. Very true to James Camerons vision, especially the opening sequence in his movies with the war against the machines. It's dark and moody with some intense set pieces with the Terminators. The game even has the classic music from Brad Fiedel, albeit being slightly arranged and mixed. But it sets the tone and gives you that epic Terminator -feeling, like this is the actual sequel to T2, something the later movies never did. The only downside so far is the dialogue. Some npc interactions are pretty stiff and cringe. But the action is awesome.

Funny you mention this. I randomly stumbled across a video about this game on YouTube last week and it piqued my curiosity. Are there a lot of stealth sections?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
Are there a lot of stealth sections?

Yes, there is a couple of stealth sections. In the beginning it's mostly to avoid the T-800s patrolling the streets but later on, when you're equipped to deal with them, you are given the choice to either go stealth and take them out silently, or go in guns blazing. There is also a skill tree (sort of) which improves your stealth.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well, with all the Epic freebies they’ve given away, there’s a couple I actually want to play.

So Death Stranding Director’s Cut (they didn’t take it away from me!) is pretty fucking weird. I’m only in the beginning, but damn if there was something peaceful about navigating a lush environment to deliver some drugs. Then you’ve got the weird Kojima shit going on and I don’t think a game has captivated me like this since Elden Ring.
I’m actually interested in what I’m playing. That’s a rare thing for me in my old age.

Took a few more jobs on Hardspace Shipbreaker. This is seriously an extremely interesting and original game.

It's basically the same vibes as Powerwash Simulator, but way, way more complex and technical. The last ship I broke down took me 70 minutes. Used 99% of it. Never really played anything like this.

oji-san

Banned
Saints Row PS5, Already regret buying it, finished the tutorial and out in the open world and there's noticeable ghosting when i move the MC or switching weapons, wtf how's is this something that seems normal to the devs? it's very distracting. And it's like that on all mode even the 4K mode.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Well, with all the Epic freebies they’ve given away, there’s a couple I actually want to play.

So Death Stranding Director’s Cut (they didn’t take it away from me!) is pretty fucking weird. I’m only in the beginning, but damn if there was something peaceful about navigating a lush environment to deliver some drugs. Then you’ve got the weird Kojima shit going on and I don’t think a game has captivated me like this since Elden Ring.
I’m actually interested in what I’m playing. That’s a rare thing for me in my old age.

Put hundreds or hours into Death Stranding. Barely used the vehicles lmao.

Downloaded the DC version on PS5 last night. Curious how it's different.

Took a few more jobs on Hardspace Shipbreaker. This is seriously an extremely interesting and original game.

It's basically the same vibes as Powerwash Simulator, but way, way more complex and technical. The last ship I broke down took me 70 minutes. Used 99% of it. Never really played anything like this.
hows the difficulty without time limit? Is there a puzzle aspect involved or is it like turn your brain off chill?

hows the difficulty without time limit? Is there a puzzle aspect involved or is it like turn your brain off chill?
I definitely prefer it without the time limit. If I could restart I'd also turn off the oxygen drain as well since it doesn't add a ton of difficulty, just wasting time to fly back and fill up.

Without a time limit it does feel a bit like a chill puzzle. I was actually a little intimidated on the first ship because the interface is very technical and sci-fi, which makes it fun to get good at it and used to the game flow. They seem to keep adding new upgrades, more ship hazards and more complex layouts as well. You have to put some thought into how to break the ship down, and then on the soft metals you can make the cuts basically anywhere you want like MGS Rising. Even if all you play is 5 hours to get the basics down, it's fun. But you can tell it just keeps going. I'm enjoying it. Feels like an accomplishment to finish a ship.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I'm playing through Spider-Man PS4 remaster on PS5 -- it's great. Much-improved visuals.

I also started a Days Gone replay, but I haven't gotten very far with that.

I'm fiddling around with my Horizon new game+, too.

Last edited:

stn

Beat The Callisto Protocol on XSX, would score it a 6-7/10. Reasons why:

+Amazing graphics
+Gameplay can be fun
+Decent enough story
-Lots of bad design (ex. not being able to avoid certain enemies that still hurt you even if you do the QTE properly)
-Melee controls can work improperly at times
-Crappy checkpoint system
-Save system doesn't work as intended
-Some animations take too long and you get hit because of it
-Barely any enemy variety
-Very one-dimensional level design (combat room, empty corridor, rinse and repeat)
-Not scary at all
-Also, the two boss fights drove me nuts because the melee controls went nuts a few times and also because it was very difficult to fight off the bosses plus henchmen
Still, I enjoyed it for the most part. If you're an absolute fan of third-person action and horror, give it a try. Otherwise, the Dead Space remake will probably be of better quality.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I'm playing too many games right now.

Star Ocean: The Devine force

It's okay, I would only recommend for star Ocean fans.

GT7: I have this on going problem of trying to get gold in every event. After a month I finally got gold in WTC 600.

Easy recommend to any console racing Sim enjoyer.

Death Stranding: Love this game. It's my too tried to game game. It doesn't take heavy reactions to be good. Idk, Its satisfying to deliver packages.

I would recommend for anyone who enjoys slower paced games.

Nfs Unbound: It's a great NFS game, it's just harder compared to past entries. I would not recommend starting with the Honda civic. You will basically have to skip drift events.

Not far along enough to recommend yet.

Lumines remaster: My favorite puzzle game.
Sad this entry doesn't have a hard mode like past entries, but it scratches my puzzle inch.

Returnal: I got the Platinum in the main game, now I'm working on getting the Platinum in the dlc. I've done everything there is to do, but the gameplay keeps pulling me back in. This game is too good.

Highly recommended for anyone who likes metrovanias.

Last edited:

tmlDan

right now im playing the ME Legendary edition, just finished the first game and thought it was pretty average. Jumping into ME2 now.

Paltheos

I'm almost done with Trails of Cold Steel 2. I'm not sure if I will play the Azure games or continue with Cold Steel 3 or 4. Either way, I will take a break from the series for a couple of month. I played CS 1 and 2 back to back. I enjoyed them, but I should probably play something else to avoid burnout.

Seconding that you should play Zero and Azure before Cold Steel 3 and 4. The latter are more rewarding if you've played everything up to them, and more importantly Azure's a really good game. I played the Crossbell games after CS1/2 (well, technically after the Sky games too), and the impact from the peaks were not lost on me. CS2 spoils the endpoint but the journey there is exciting.

Jaybe

Dark Souls Remastered. Off to Sen’s fortress next.
Still going with Dark Souls Remastered. I came so close to calling it quits (at least for today) at the archer knights in Anor Londo but got through with what I told myself would be my last attempt. Lautrec and O&S were pains in the ass too, but now in my review mirror. Back to Firelink.

Fredrik

Finished GOW Ragnarök last night.

Time to jump back into Horizon Forbidden West! Aiming to finish it in time to be able to vote for it on GAF GOTY if I want to.

Playing Elden Ring as well, as usual. Currently going though Stormveil Castle with my wretch. I’m not running around naked anymore but the opening hours made me see the upside of going light so I try to keep my weight down more than I usually do. No bulky knight this time!

Last edited:

RPS37

Going back and forth between High on Life (XSX) and God of War Ragnarok (PS5).
Having a real good time with both.
Trying to stay focused but I am still falling into the trap of wanting to see what the next best looking game is on my knew OLED.

Had to take a break from super metroid. I'm so close to being done but kind of lost motivation to finish. I'll get back to it at some point, but for now i've switched over to mario kart 8 and animal crossing new horizon.

Last edited:

Fredrik

^ Thanks for reminding me! I started a new playthrough in Super Metroid over the Christmas, on Retroarch on Xbox. Kids asked if I could do it and after all this time it’s still my favorite game of all time so I couldn’t say no to that!
❤️

Paltheos

Still going with Dark Souls Remastered. I came so close to calling it quits (at least for today) at the archer knights in Anor Londo but got through with what I told myself would be my last attempt. Lautrec and O&S were pains in the ass too, but now in my review mirror. Back to Firelink.

I remember getting lucky for my first archer kills. I think I only needed like a dozen attempts. Killed the first one legit using lots of rolling to avoid the arrow from behind and the second one pulled out his sword early and walked off the ledge trying to approach me in a straight-line for some reason. Laughed my ass off.

NG+ I ran poison arrows and regretted nothing. Fuck those guys.

Fredrik

Got stuck playing more Super Metroid with/for the kids today. How can a nearly 30 year old game still be so good? There is so much rewarding exploration and so much you can do out of order just by experimenting.

Then some more Elden Ring tonight, downed Godrick. I think I’m going to keep using Bloodhound’s Fang, it’s a bit slow perhaps but I like the reach and it’s looking kinda cool.
XNihm5l.jpg

Winter John

Tried Medieval Dynasty out on Gamepass. I liked it so much I figured it was bound to run better on the PS5 so I bought it. Nope, it don't. It's janky as shit and has the worst pop in I've ever seen, but I enjoy it so much I can look past it's faults.

Very slowly advancing in SMB Banana Blitz HD. I was so happy when I got the end credits after World 8 but there's a World 9 and a World 10. I might just trade it in. It's not fun anymore. Trying to make ultra precision moves while fighting with a camera you can't auto set behind you = Grrrrrr!

Top Bottom