• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

IpsoFacto

Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise - SOOOO GOOOD! It's basically FoftNS with a Yakuza blueprint but man do they make the most out if. Crazy fights, Kenshiro's bulking manly persona works perfectly within this Yakuza template. It's got a unique spin on the same mini-games. Watching characters blow up after you beat 'em' up is a joy to watch.

Shagger

Banned
Right now, I'm working on Spiderman (PS4), a second play on Tales of Berseria (PS4) and Resident Evil 2 re-make. All very different games, but liking them all very much.

Humdinger

Third run through Horizon Zero Dawn.

Great game. I'm about 2/3 through, approaching Gaia Prime, I think.

Last edited:

Cato

Banned
Finished Xenogears. Wow, what a game. If you haven't played this game you should do so, it is amazing.

Started playing Parasite Eve. Looks promising so far.

Ian Henry

Finished Xenogears. Wow, what a game. If you haven't played this game you should do so, it is amazing.

Bro......Parasite Eve is dope as hell. Tbh it should've been a bigger franchise than it was.

Mr Hyde

Grinding for new skills in Sekiro. Need better healing because I´m getting wrecked by the Corrupted Monk. I got his health down to 2/3 and are starting to learn his movesets so I should be able to defeat him soon. I don´t really like him though, seems to be a Dancer-wannabe.

I also played through Ghost Survivors on Resident Evil 2 and it was disappointing. Boring speed runs in the same vein as The 4th Survivor. Thought it was gonna be more like the main game with more story related content. At least it was free of charge.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Grinding for new skills in Sekiro. Need better healing because I´m getting wrecked by the Corrupted Monk. I got his health down to 2/3 and are starting to learn his movesets so I should be able to defeat him soon. I don´t really like him though, seems to be a Dancer-wannabe.

I also played through Ghost Survivors on Resident Evil 2 and it was disappointing. Boring speed runs in the same vein as The 4th Survivor. Thought it was gonna be more like the main game with more story related content. At least it was free of charge.
You never finished Xenoblade 2, hey?

kingbean

Yo. I just started playing a few days ago. I made a thread about it. It's blowing my balls off. I'm loving it. I even make mention to how it reminds me of how fucking fresh Parasite Eve felt to me back in the day.

Mr Hyde

You never finished Xenoblade 2, hey?

Just took a short break now that Sekiro dropped. Gonna return to it in the weekend, so haven´t forgotten about it. Gonna write down more progress here then. I´m still on the search for Lila.

Rodolink

Finished Klonoa DtP (PSX) great game, kind of hard in the last stage, that part I didn't enjoy as much.
But!
what a sad ending, wtf!

Lanrutcon

Dayum. Pretty fleshed out game? What else is there to do? Collectibles, achievements? I thought about trying that one out. Haven’t played any AC since the first one.

They patched in a bunch of stuff. So new quests, new ranks of mercenaries to fight, new gear, new arena levels, new weapon engravings, new ship upgrades, new legendary ships to fight, mastery rank skill trees, bumped the max level from 50 to 99. I haven't even touched the DLC or cleared all the provinces in the map yet. Plus there are now MMO elements like daily/weekly quests and a special online vendor with rotating stock.

Also, haven't spent a dime on any microtransactions. You can completely ignore them. The game doesn't even push them on you.

KiteGr

The last months I've been playing all the YS games.

I have played (in THAT particular order) (all steam editions)
Ys I & II Chronicles+
Ys 3 Oath in Felgana
Ys 4 Memories of Celceta
Ys 6 Ark of Napistim
(I had played the PS2 edition many years ago when it was still new)
Ys Origins (played Tovac and Fact, and got to burned out to play Claw. I might go back for him after Seven)
Ys Seven (currently playing...)
Ys 8 Lacrimosa of Dana (next in line)

They are fantastic games, but also weird how Oath and Memories are so clearly better than Ark and Seven (since they got made later) despite being supposedly later installments. It's also annoying how there is no remake of Ys 5 yet.
My current worst is one that others consider best, origins. It could have been a very good game on it's own, but playing the same stages, bosses and main story 3 times is to much, even if the characters are different.
Despite the nit-picks, I'm an YS fan now!

I've also been playing Tales of Vesperia PS4. But it's to long and I took a break to play Spiderman which is much smaller and definitely more addicting and worthy of marathoning.

Vesperia's main problem is it's age. Graces had much better gameplay and mocaped cutscenes, despite the shitty graphics and story. While the graphics should have been mindblowing back in the day, they are just plain good now, so they can't keep me hyped to overlook the other flaws.

Next in Line is Yakuza Kiwami 2 that I've just ported from the US, since I wasn't able to find a standard edition here.

Last edited:

sol_bad

I finally finished Horizon Zero Dawn. It took me 130 hours to complete.
Sheesh

I liked the ending and the after credits tease but the final mission was a bit of a fizel.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
GTA3

Great game and still fun to play but the missing game map is a real pain in the ass and some of the missions can be quite frustrating...

IKSTUGA

Started Skyrim again (special edition on the X). Last time I played this was November 2011 (release month), so almost 8 years ago. Feels good to be back. Killed my first dragon and holy hell does the theme song still kick ass. I forgot how great and immersive the OST in this game is. Never played the DLCs before, so that part should be really interesting this time around as well.

Gonna start Yoshi tomorrow. I should also finish Tropical Freeze at some point, but feels of mah crocodiles and stuff kinda prevent that.

Last edited:

JRW

Sekiro, It's super difficult but feels so polished, it also looks great and is just a blast to play.

zenspider

The Blaster Master Zero 2 announcement got me to go back and finish the first one, Blaster Master Zero. I started a new playthrough and I'm loving it. Should be at the last stage now after 7 hours. Could probably squeeze out 10, but I'm starting to itch for the supposedly improved in every way sequel. Also, is there anything less fun and more disappointing than getting a 'True Ending'? I think I missed one life chip and a few out of the way map blocks, so I'll watch that shit on YouTube, thanks.

It's not that I didn't enjoy it the first time, but Hyrule kept calling.

It also got me to scroll a few pages down to the bottom of my digital Switch library, clear the cobwebs, and fire up Kamiko. Again, my enthusiasm for grabbing games at the time was foiled like a climb in Hyrule in a rainstorm.

Kamiko is a fantastic title. It's quick, cute, and feels great in the hands. Plus - level based Zelda? Yes, please. It has all the puzzles and combat of a Zelda-like, but wouldn't take much to throw in a cabinet and take quarters. My kind of game.

My other dredged up title was Ambition of the Slimes. It was a recommendation from here or REE, and I nabbed it for 5 bucks but never fired it up. At the time of release it might've got my attention, but after Into The Breach and Wargroove (and even God Wars), it just doesn't overcome it's roughness. Where Kamiko feels spartan and minimal, this feels sloppy. I'll give it some more time and see if it hooks me, but for now Flyhigh Works is batting .500.

I briefly fired up Battle Princess Madelyn after seeing a sale during an exhaustion fueled eShop visit. My first impressions are: it is absolutely gorgeous when everything is going, but it has too many moments of inconsisteny - the companion ghost dog being the biggest offender. It's like the peak of 16-bit pixel craft marred with the occasional out of place sprite rip. It's jarring.
However - it plays like a goddamn dream, and if you do the right thing and pick 'Arcade Mode' - not that 'Story Mode' metroidvania nonsense -this feels like a real step forward in the Daimakaimura lineage. Where Cursed Castilla payed homage, BPM looks ahead. I think I'll prefer GnG Ultimate in the end, but this title did not get it's due propers on release. And I'm looking forward to some proper time with it if I can get it in before the April indie avalanche.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

I can’t believe I’m writing this, so I guess I better be prepared for ridicule....etc but, goin’ back and forth between RED DEAD REDEMPTION II and UNTIL DAWN, when I’m not playing (while I’m at work or hanging with the wife and kids) I’m actually more excited to play UNTIL DAWN! Is something wrong with me? Isn’t RED DEAD II like, supposed to be the best game or something?

kingbean

Played more Xenogears last night.

Started playing Dead or Alive Xtreme Scarlet or w/e its called on switch. It's a nice relaxing time.

Ozrimandias

WatchDogs 2, but i cant go fruther, the protagonist is annoying

So, i still playing Rainbow 6 Siege a lot, man that game is good. Very Good.
I will wait to Mk11 to come out, maybe i finish the division or platinum God of War.

I can’t believe I’m writing this, so I guess I better be prepared for ridicule....etc but, goin’ back and forth between RED DEAD REDEMPTION II and UNTIL DAWN, when I’m not playing (while I’m at work or hanging with the wife and kids) I’m actually more excited to play UNTIL DAWN! Is something wrong with me? Isn’t RED DEAD II like, supposed to be the best game or something?
It was a disappointment on the gameplay front due to the terrible controls. Story, world and audio were all fantastic though.

Alexa88

Neo Member
Fire Emblem awakening on 3ds, loving it so far. Re2 remake and Red Dead 2 on Ps4, Trails of Cold Steel on ps3 and finishing Lost Odyssey on x360. Too many games😥.

Vawn

Banned
81sY3MF2U8L._AC_SX430_.jpg

Eiknarf

Yeah, I was super hyped for it coming out then when I got it, it was just a chore to play which sucked because other than the controls, I loved nearly everything about it.

My follow up question to you or anybody here is, why do ya think Red Dead II is getting a 97 average from all critics (see Metacritic)? Every single critic raved about it. Scoring it and 95 or above. There would be nothing wrong with scoring the game and 85. Is it because it’s a rockstar game and that tends to make critics rate higher ?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
My follow up question to you or anybody here is, why do ya think Red Dead II is getting a 97 average from all critics (see Metacritic)? Every single critic raved about it. Scoring it and 95 or above. There would be nothing wrong with scoring the game and 85. Is it because it’s a rockstar game and that tends to make critics rate higher ?
exactly that.

the critics will praise Rockstar to no end but to consumers the games have been lacking. GTA V was great but GTA Online fucked it up. RDR2 is a disaster. i was super hyped but played it maybe 10 hours before giving up. it was such a huge disappointment. also I think rockstar are realising that they can't milk us anymore. RD Online is not doing anywhere near as well as they hoped.

Belmonte

Finishing Zelda 2 right now.

WLpaJaOwQuz2J2WDIcL9exEk4zVDh7jb.jpg

I understand it is a very hard place being between the original Zelda and A Link to the Past but I feel this game is treated with great injustice. I imagine the fear Zelda fans felt playing it at the time and wondering if the franchise would abandon so many cool things from Zelda 1 on posterior games. But after so many years, I think people should be more gentle with it.

The cities are well made. I like how you need to solve a problem to have a new skill and how natural is to be invited to enter the houses. The XP mechanic makes every enemy a resource and it is very well tied to the spells. The temples are fun to conquer and I didn't though it was confusing, even without map. The game has the Zelda charm despite the inferior music. Error is a cool dude btw, helped me to find a cave!

I read the game is as cryptic as Castlevania 2 sometimes and this is far from the truth. You need some gaming logic to beat some puzzles but nothing like the Konami title. The hardest part for me was the last city but nothing like Zelda 1 "need to bomb every wall, fire every grass to find the extra hearts".

Yeah, they should made Link's sword bigger. I got used to it but with that range, the devs couldn't get crazy with the enemies. There are some later enemies which are not even worth defeating because of the range of the sword versus the XP you gain.

Spells are awesome, Zelda 2 Link is a competent mage, but the itens are more passive. There isn't that "I can't wait to go to the places I couldn't earlier to get some heart pieces" feeling after getting a new item.

It is worth playing for any curious Zelda or retro action RPG fan.

Last edited:

ricanelite

Well got some old school games I'm planning Zelda 64 and Final Fantasy 8 and believe it or not have not finish either one of them.

Rodolink

The last months I've been playing all the YS games.

I have played (in THAT particular order) (all steam editions)
Ys I & II Chronicles+
Ys 3 Oath in Felgana
Ys 4 Memories of Celceta
Ys 6 Ark of Napistim
(I had played the PS2 edition many years ago when it was still new)
Ys Origins (played Tovac and Fact, and got to burned out to play Claw. I might go back for him after Seven)
Ys Seven (currently playing...)
Ys 8 Lacrimosa of Dana (next in line)

They are fantastic games, but also weird how Oath and Memories are so clearly better than Ark and Seven (since they got made later) despite being supposedly later installments. It's also annoying how there is no remake of Ys 5 yet.
My current worst is one that others consider best, origins. It could have been a very good game on it's own, but playing the same stages, bosses and main story 3 times is to much, even if the characters are different.
Despite the nit-picks, I'm an YS fan now!

I've also been playing Tales of Vesperia PS4. But it's to long and I took a break to play Spiderman which is much smaller and definitely more addicting and worthy of marathoning.

Vesperia's main problem is it's age. Graces had much better gameplay and mocaped cutscenes, despite the shitty graphics and story. While the graphics should have been mindblowing back in the day, they are just plain good now, so they can't keep me hyped to overlook the other flaws.

Next in Line is Yakuza Kiwami 2 that I've just ported from the US, since I wasn't able to find a standard edition here.
I'm currently doing Kiwami 1 can't wait for 2 and 0. I regret so much not getting into the series since the PS2, remember seeing it on store and always saying "I'll get it later"

Mr Hyde

Finally beat Guardian Ape in Sekiro. What a fucking cunt. Other than that, I´ve been progressing real nicely. A lot of fun twists and turns. This game is huge. So far GOTY for my part. Miyazaki and From deliver that sweet sweet honey sauce only they can provide.

Mr Hyde

Holy shit, I just experienced one of the best boss fights ever. It was just a mini boss but there was a surprise twist on this one, as I was running in to face him (you meet this dude a couple of times) another one just like him comes behind me and starts fucking my shit up. My first thought was of course "I´m fucked", mainly because I think Sekiro is a bit unbalanced when it comes to fighting multiple foes. One on one is great and super fun, but as soon as two or three comes at you it becomes very hard, especially if you haven´t got the environment to help you out. And this fight takes place in a cramped dojo so it was absolutely nuts.

Anyway, both of them comes at me, with new moves, such as a hard hitting poison blow that drains my hp like a vampire on steroids, and insane speed on their kicks. First I was all defensive and chicken, because I was ready to lose, but somehow I got infused with magical fingers because I start to take them on simultaneously with the speed of a cheetah on coke. I´m on some Mohammed Ali "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"- type of shit, and swords are clashing KLING KLING KLING, just nailing those perfect parries and running around the dojo trying to avoid their rollercoaster kicks. And I take one out and then the fight goes on with even more heat. My whole body starts to trembling and I´m telling myself "you´re gonna fuck this up, you´re gonna fuck this up!" and my healing is all empty with him half full on his hp.

But I keep going at it and parries him perfectly so that his posture runs out and I can kill him. What a fantastical feeling when I push that sword right in to his throat. The adrenaline rush was just maxed out, I just stared at the screen all empty inside shaking and trembling. I think this can be one of the best highlights in my gaming career. Well, at least since I took out O & S after a week of training.

aYDGmBz.gif

KiteGr

I'm currently doing Kiwami 1 can't wait for 2 and 0. I regret so much not getting into the series since the PS2, remember seeing it on store and always saying "I'll get it later"
I skipped them on PS2 for the same reason most of us skipped them. We thought that it was a GTA clone in Japan, aka few firearms and hardly and space to drive your car. The Angry Yakuza dude in the Cover showing off his tatoos didn't help.... oh, how little did I know...!
After those, I've learned plenty of praises about the series, but still didn't dive in because.
  1. I hadn't played the original 2 games, and the graphics and eng dub were to crappy at that point to return to PS2.
  2. For nearly every game, I was hearing how they kept censoring the best parts left and right. There is not bigger hype killer than censorship.
  3. An installment released as Digital Only. I don't like buying "Services".
Thankfully, I don't regret sticking to my principles.
I've started with Yakuza 0, and now I get to enjoy the series in it's superior form, and hopefully uncensored. If they start censoring the western release of the upcoming remasters like the ps3 editions, or release them only as DLC again, I'll end my marathon on Kiwami 2 and won't go further.

Top Bottom