• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game caused Switch to go 2025?

Which one?

• Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • New 3D Mario

Votes: 44 43.6%
  • Legend of Zelda Remake

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • MonolithSoft's Game

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Next Level's Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • New IP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (1st Party)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Something else (3rd Party)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters

DKPOWPOW

Nintendo's recent financial meeting made it seem like the successor to the Nintendo Switch won't be released until after March 2025.

With the internal delay rumors and the Head of Nintendo himself saying games inevitably will take longer and longer to produce. It's starting to seem as if a major game planned for launch or near launch simply wasn't ready.

Which possible game do you think was the most likely to cause the delay?

I put a Zelda remake here, because it seems impossible for there to be a brand new Zelda game planned anywhere near the launch. However a remake could make sense if they wanted a Zelda game within the launch year.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I say Mario Kart 9. We just came off the heels of TOTK, and MK8D was Nintendo's best selling game since wii sports- they obviously gotta have something big cooking after all that profit.

I hope the approach to development in that game is similar to what they tried for Wonder.

Robb

Gold Member
I don't really think they’re pushing it for one game alone. It’s probably multiple. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’re trying to replicate the Switch launch year, which was frankly incredible.

Zelda: BotW (Cross-gen)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Mario: Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
ARMS
1-2 Switch

So I’d guess:
Metroid Prime 4 (Cross-gen)
Mario Kart 9
New 3D Mario
New Pokemon game
New Monolith Soft game
New semi-high budget IP
New Mario Party

In any case we’re in for a treat for sure! 2025 is going to be fire.

blacktout

I voted 3D Mario, but I don't think it was delayed because of a single game but rather to have the most robust launch lineup possible. Part of the Switch's success can definitely be attributed to the fact that they released BotW, Mario Odyssey, MK8D, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, and Arms during the launch year.

I'm guessing Nintendo wants to do something similar with the Switch's successor and several of the launch games need a few extra months of polish, including the 3D Mario game that will probably be either the big launch game or major holiday title.

I don't think MP4 or MK9 (or 10 if Nintendo counts Tour) are the reason for the delay because I think Nintendo has been sitting on both for a while, since their dev teams have been AWOL for years.

Kabelly

More Zelda in the new gen right away? Effing snooze. Drop that Mario Kart 9. Drop that Prime 4. Drop that Donkey Kong 64 successor.

So many games we didnt really get for switch 1.
Mario kart is a wii u game. Its dusty.

I just think Nintendo knows and can squeeze more juice out of this system considering how powerful is truly is in the eyes of Nintendo.

Nintendo let the 3DS live way longer than I expected and that was a 240p console.

Now people are begging for a 4k 120fps on a handheld hydbrid console?

Do we have the tech, yes? Will people pay that price? Maybe. But that means if you want gta 6 visuals fron nintendo then youll wait as long .

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
It wasn’t because of a game. It’s because

qpYJavL.gif

Reactions: KU_

DKPOWPOW

I say Metroid Prime 4, though I think a Zelda Remake is coming sooner than we think.

Reasons? Complete speculation.

Tears of the Kingdom was essentially done in 2022. It got another year in the oven just because they could. Had COVID not happened, it likely would have been finished in 2021. Usually while they are finishing one Zelda game, usually another is already in the pre-production stage.

The last time we got a Zelda remake was in 2019. 5 years is a long time for a remake to cook.

Now it's possible it could be a surprise game for the Switch this year, something like a Link to the Past redone like Link's Awakening. But I have my doubts about Grezzo doing it, because they have been busy with other projects over the past few years (nothing big though).

I find it more likely that what began as a somewhat typical 2D remake beginning in 2020 evolved into something much bigger.

Around that time, the rumors of a Pro console were running rampant. As we know, that never happened, instead 5 years later we are hearing of the successor to the Switch.

If there was a remake early in development, around the time a decision was made to scrap the Pro model console and focus on a successor. Likely that game would move to the successor console as well.

It would make sense to have a Zelda game near the launch of a new console. I doubt Nintendo ignores the fact that both Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild helped usher an environment for 2 of their highest selling consoles.

At the same time it's unlikely to be a launch game, but more likely a year 1 title.

So I figured the main culprit would be Metroid Prime 4.

It's never had the type of major selling status as other series Nintendo has, but it is in a somewhat unique position. Almost like Twilight Princess, it's a game the hardcore have begged for over the years. It's been in development for a long time, and a good part of the development was for the Switch. But positioning it as a cross-gen launch title (sadly, I wish it was just for the next console but I have my doubts) is probably too tempting to ignore. It could perhaps ignite the sales for the title and spawn excitement for the new console while simultaneously not disappointing people who were waiting to play it on the original Switch.

More than likely, the game was delayed to increase the graphical quality of the version on Switch 2 and/or take advantage of some new quirks to the controller/console.

I think a 3D Mario and Mario Kart 9 have been in the oven for so long they are more than ready, but Nintendo has learned it needs more than Mario to succeed.

MonolithSoft's next game I think is much farther off, probably 2027.

Though I think Next Level could have something soon, it would be really nice to have a new Punch Out game.

And Donkey Kong, well who knows at this point. It's been over a decade since he had a new legit game.

I think 3rd party's have been more than ready for the next console, and Capcom probably has something special for year 1.

All speculation, but hey. It's why I made the thread.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
The actual factor is that they don't have a huge line up of games made for a failed console that they can repack and sold for double the price for a dumbfounded audience to buy thinking it's new.

Hudo

I suspect that the new 3D Mario suffered some internal delays and they want to launch the new system with it.

Robb

Gold Member
The actual factor is that they don't have a huge line up of games made for a failed console that they can repack and sold for double the price for a dumbfounded audience to buy thinking it's new.
feels game of thrones GIF

Twilight Princess HD
Wind Waker HD
Xenoblade Chronicles X
StarFox Zero/StarFox Guard
Yoshis’s Woolly World
Paper Mario Color Splash
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
NES Remix Pack
NintendoLand
Etc.

But then again, Nintendo never runs out of things to re-make/re-master.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
No idea. Possibly a new 3D Mario as that's a sure fire launch game.

The delay is actually a good thing for Nintendo and gamer.

For Nintendo, it means they can squeeze another Christmas out of the Switch. For gamers, it means a stronger launch lineup for the next console.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not a game, just a case of when's best to strike.

If Nintendo think they can milk an extra Christmas from the Switch 1, they will. You have to remember that normal people don't follow video game news, they have no idea that the Switch 2 is imminent, or they won't care. Switch 1 will still be selling this holiday season, with Mario Kart, even after 2 is officially announced.

Original switch was announced in 2015, released two years later. I don't think this will be the case since it's most probably a switch 2 coming, so no big surprises about form and features this time.
But with a product this important, it's not because of "a game", it's hundreds of variables lol

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Why do people think it was delayed? With the Switch still selling, there is no reason to hurt those sales yet.

This next direct will be interesting. What game do they have for the holidays? Another remake? Please don't be Metroid 4.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
It's not a single factor. Nintendo have a very strong incentive to get the transition to Switch 2 right. It's something they've never been able to pull off before. And with Switch still selling, they can afford to take their time. They're probably looking at internal software, 3rd party projects, their subscription service, market readiness, and lots of other factors and trying to line everything up for an optimal launch and a healthy cadence of releases afterwards.

Last edited:

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
You can’t delay something you didn’t even announced. Insiders can eat shit, in all honesty.

For me, it was 2025 all along because Switch is still doing solid numbers for hardware of its age.

Aldric

You can’t delay something you didn’t even announced. Insiders can eat shit, in all honesty.

For me, it was 2025 all along because Switch is still doing solid numbers for hardware of its age.
This. It's baffling how these people create these alternative realities where Switch 2 got "delayed" or the fabled Switch Pro they announced every year since 2019 miraculously got cancelled alongside the exclusive third party projects developed for it despite zero evidence of it being true and the whole story being absurd in the first place.

There's no reason to think Switch 2 ever was supposed to release this year. If it's out next year then it was the plan all along.

BlackTron

feels game of thrones GIF

Twilight Princess HD
Wind Waker HD
Xenoblade Chronicles X
StarFox Zero/StarFox Guard
Yoshis’s Woolly World
Paper Mario Color Splash
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
NES Remix Pack
NintendoLand
Etc.

But then again, Nintendo never runs out of things to re-make/re-master.

Half those games were either already remakes or dependent on original hardware ie there is no way to port Nintendo Land or Starfox Zero to Switch. It would be akin to porting a Kinect game.

Robb

Gold Member
Half those games were either already remakes or dependent on original hardware ie there is no way to port Nintendo Land or Starfox Zero to Switch. It would be akin to porting a Kinect game.
Huh? Only the Zelda’s are remakes, and maybe NES Remix I guess.

And if they want to make things work they’ll make things work. People were telling me Skyward Sword wouldn’t work since it was dependent on Wii motion controls, yet here we are with a ‘normal’ control scheme. For NintendoLand specifically it feels like all they need to do is ad online multiplayer and every game would work just fine, but I’m not sure I remember all the mini games.

BlackTron

Huh? Only the Zelda’s are remakes, and maybe NES Remix I guess.

And if they want to make things work they’ll make things work. People were telling me Skyward Sword wouldn’t work since it was dependent on Wii motion controls, yet here we are with a ‘normal’ control scheme. For NintendoLand specifically it feels like all they need to do is ad online multiplayer and every game would work just fine, but I’m not sure I remember all the mini games.

NintendoLand is a couch party game that makes heavy use of Gamepad features.

Keep in mind, Wii U has two screens like DS whereas Switch only has one. And it was a Wii Sports style title intended to "tech demo" the system. In the Zelda game, the archer player with the Gamepad could hold it up to the TV to get "Xray vision" of targets behind obstacles on the TV screen to line up shots. The asymmetric gameplay, such as Luigi's Mansion where one person is the ghost, might be fixed with online, but would only work in online mode and all these little minigames wouldn't really be fun enough for anyone to care about without its core concept in a local couch setting. In other words...it's a bona fide U game and would make a TERRIBLE Switch title. They pretty much made 1-2 Switch instead (ouch).

Sure they could substantially gut and change the game, but given that its very purpose is to demo Gamepad features, it's no surprise they will never bother to do this. Would be like a version of Wii Sports where you use the control stick instead of a wiimote. Feasible only on a technical level while the actual point of making the game was removed. At least in Skyward Sword there is a Zelda game in there with dungeons and stuff.

Starfox is another Gamepad game. They are better off just making an entirely new one than trying to make Starfox Zero work. The gimmick is baked into the core game design (far worse and deeper than Zelda SS).

There are certainly titles they can port easily but for example I don't think Yoshi's Wooly World is a big deal especially with Crafted World around. It's not like they have some big resource of games to tap into so they don't have to flex as hard, like at Switch 1 launch. They used up those guns (Mario Kart 9, Bros. U, 3D World, and BOTW namely).

Robb

Gold Member
Feasible only on a technical level while the actual point of making the game was removed.
I don't think Yoshi's Wooly World is a big deal especially with Crafted World around.
Yeah, it’s definitivt ’the’ asymmetric gameplay show-off game. But I don’t think I’d be butchered. Just make local play be the same using two Switch consoles instead. Maybe make it work with the original Switch or a second ‘Switch 2’ as a gamepad replacement for local multiplayer. There’ll supposedly be 155 million of them out there next year.. The rest could probably be figured out with online play.

Not sure about StarFox though, I never played that one.

And I’m not sure if Woolly World (or any of these) need to/would be a big deal. It’s all just filler. I’m just saying there’s plenty more to tap into, still.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Yeah, it’s definitivt ’the’ asymmetric gameplay show-off game. But I don’t think I’d be butchered. Just make local play be the same using two Switch consoles instead. Maybe make it work with the original Switch or a second ‘Switch 2’ as a gamepad replacement for local multiplayer. There’ll supposedly be 155 million of them out there next year.. The rest could probably be figured out with online play.

Not sure about StarFox though, I never played that one.

And I’m not sure if Woolly World (or any of these) need to/would be a high deal. It’s all just filler. I’m just saying there’s plenty more to tap into, still.

Fair enough, you could use more than one Switch system. This could work IF you could do it with only one copy of the game...do any Switch titles do this? Like they did on some old GBA titles. With a link cable, your friend could play Mario Kart with you...on only 1 or 2 maps, and they had to be Yoshi :)

I played Star Fox Zero very late after the fact. TBH I couldn't play past the second level. There is no way to save the game.

I agree there are still plenty of titles they haven't ported yet, I just do think they've ported anything that makes a damn of a difference.

Robb

Gold Member
This could work IF you could do it with only one copy of the game...do any Switch titles do this?
Not sure tbh. The only game I can recall of the top of my head where you use multiple Switch consoles and link them together to play is Super Mario Party (Toad’s Rec Room), and I’m fairly sure you need two carts to play that stuff.

I guess I’m just too optimistic.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Not sure tbh. The only game I can recall of the top of my head where you use multiple Switch consoles and link them together to play is Super Mario Party (Toad’s Rec Room), and I’m fairly sure you need two carts to play that stuff.

I guess I’m just too optimistic.

Yeah I've played Mario Kart using two Switch systems communicating directly with each other wirelessly, but they had their own copy of the game. Of course it'd a tough sell to require a second system to get core functionality out of a game, much less a second copy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Also, who the hell wants a port of Starfox Zero. Just make a new game.

Dr.D00p

Not game delays but dumb shit consumers still throwing money at them for 10yr old hardware that only costs them a pittance.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

I think it is as simple as, the hardware (which is no doubt locked down) is too expensive and the current model is selling well enough.

Like the poster above me mentioned, people are throwing $300+ for a system that struggles to run Bioshock, a PS3 game.

BlackTron

Also, who the hell wants a port of Starfox Zero. Just make a new game.

Yeah it's genuinely terrible. A new control scheme can't magically help it because the game was built around the bad one that it has. It doesn't even have nice graphics or anything either. Pretty bad showing for a game "based on" Star Fox 64. They are self-aware enough to let this game die.

Top Bottom