• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game caused Switch to go 2025?

Which one?

• Metroid Prime 4

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • Mario Kart 9

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • New 3D Mario

Votes: 44 43.6%
  • Legend of Zelda Remake

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • MonolithSoft's Game

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • Next Level's Game

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Donkey Kong

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • New IP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (1st Party)

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Something else (3rd Party)

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
No game did.

It's most probably their BoM from peripheral manufacturers, that cut less on their margins, so they can cheap out on the HW 1 year later with higher margins, and for their subsequent years till their "nextgen" lasts.

Scotty W

I think the Wii U showed us a few things:

Mario Kart
2d Mario
3d Mario
Zelda rereleases
2d Donkey Kong games

Are NOT system sellers. These are games people buy AFTER they have already bought the system.

Wii and Switch launched with Zelda. However, not enough time has passed since TotK launched to build up a demand, or to make one. Gamecube showed that Metroid is not a system seller.

My guess is that they will launch with 2 or 3 big series together. Apart from that, it is a difficult situation.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Nintendo thinks the switch has invincibility and could be asking too much of struggling hardware from over 10 years ago

Mario Kart
2d Mario
3d Mario
Zelda rereleases
2d Donkey Kong games

Are NOT system sellers. These are games people buy AFTER they have already bought the system.

Wii and Switch launched with Zelda. However, not enough time has passed since TotK launched to build up a demand, or to make one. Gamecube showed that Metroid is not a system seller.

My guess is that they will launch with 2 or 3 big series together. Apart from that, it is a difficult situation.

I like what this is getting at but don't think Wii U is a good example of anything, as it had many problems.

Yes Metroid is too dark and introverted to sell a system.

Mario 64 was a system seller but that was 30 years ago.

Zelda was a system seller for Switch. Wii Sports was a system seller. But I can't think of any other titles that are relevant system sellers for Nintendo.

Maybe a Botw/totk combined remake would do it.

A real classy 3D Mario might do it.

Other than that it'd have to be something unexpected.

Switch was delayed til March 2017 so BotW could make the launch, so I'm sure a similarly major game is at least part of the reason they're holding off til next year. Unless the hardware itself just isn't quite ready yet.

The EPD Tokyo team that makes 3D Mario games hasn't released a major game since 2017. Bowser's Fury was a minor addition and it was co-developed by another studio. So whether they're making one massive game, or two really big games, they have got to be nearing the finish line with whatever they're working on.

Mario Kart
2d Mario
3d Mario
Zelda rereleases
2d Donkey Kong games

Wrong. 3D Mario & Mario Kart are absolutely system sellers. Your mistake is using Wii U as an example for anything. It was deeply unpopular hardware. And if BotW had launched on it without releasing on Switch, it would absolutely have not sold anywhere near what it has. Wii U was a colossally unattractive, dead paper weight of a console, and there was nothing else Nintendo could've done to sell more than they did.

Last edited:

Woopah

They want to ensure they have enough first party software to deliver a strong year like 2017. So it's probably multiple games.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Wrong. 3D Mario & Mario Kart are absolutely system sellers. Your mistake is using Wii U as an example for anything. It was deeply unpopular hardware. And if BotW had launched on it without releasing on Switch, it would absolutely have not sold anywhere near what it has. Wii U was a colossally unattractive, dead paper weight of a console, and there was nothing else Nintendo could've done to sell more than they did.
The failure of the Gamecube speaks against this. It had everything, and it was attractive, but it didn’t have a cool Zelda, so people mostly ignored it.

I would love for Mario to be a system seller, and in a just world it would be, but it is not a system seller anymore.

The failure of the Gamecube speaks against this. It had everything, and it was attractive, but it didn’t have a cool Zelda, so people mostly ignored it.

I would love for Mario to be a system seller, and in a just world it would be, but it is not a system seller anymore.
Zeldas typically come out later in a system’s life, so saying “system seller” is a bit odd. In that sense, every major Nintendo series is a “system seller”.

GameCube, like Wii U, had a lot* of factors working against it, including the fact that it didn’t launch with a 3D Mario and when it did come out nearly a year after launch, it wasn’t as impactful as Mario 64 was.

GameCube only sold what it did because of the big franchises. Mario Sunshine, MK Double Dash, Smash Melee, Metroid Prime, Zelda Wind Waker, promise of Twilight Princess, Paper Mario 2, Rogue Squadron exclusivity, RE 4 exclusivity, etc.

To this day, GameCube is home to some of Nintendo’s best work, ever.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I do wonder if the launch of the steam deck had any impact on what they go to market with.

They see people will pay top dollar for handheld gaming done right. Up until now we just paid Nintendo because they ran the game.

Realistically though… they are just doing their own thing. Release when they want for how much they want, and ignore the market for the most part,

MaestroMike

Gold Member
they're launch bout to be STACKED with some heavy hitters they know xbox is fukkin done and they don't gotta worry bout sony only gotta worry about gta 6 which isn't coming to switch so they know they have to hit their launch hard coming out the gate gta 6 is what scares nintendo

coffinbirth

images

If they released it in 2023 when it was ready, it would have been too cutting edge. They wanted to wait 2 more years to let the hardware get outdated so that it would be a true Nintendo product.

Astral Dog

I don't think its a particular game the cause of the delay, they simply needed more time to get the launch right, marketing,produce enough units, polish the launch software the Switch had one of the best first years of any console launch, main Zelda, main Mario, Splatoon sequel,new IP and big JRPG.

If the launch of Switch is anywhere near the above there is going to be a main Mario game, Monolith project announced,something Mario Kart related,along with of course Metroid Prime 4

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
No game at all. Switch still selling well and they are greedy. Might be a mistake waiting too long though, if Ms or Sony or both release a portable this time around.

It’s the charm of a console for kids - constantly new customers coming along willing to buy it at rrp. There are toddlers now who will be able to grip a controller come Christmas. Kerching!

Top Bottom