• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game do you purposely play to relax ?

Game is the ultimate Zen game. Super relaxing and able to play passively. But has high stakes at the same time.
header.jpg

Zannegan

Once upon a time, it used to be that SSX game on the Wii. Something so cathartic about just carving an avatar's path down a cartoony mountain with motion controls.

Haven't had a good relaxation game in a while now though.

GymWolf

None, i don't really play vg to relax.

But when i was younger i liked to play windows solitaire with some 90s dance music in the background and maybe a joint to chill for a couple of minutes.

Anything from "from software" as I already "got gud" playing through any of the games for a few hours is chill time.

Ps I'm not saying I'm fighting Isshin or orphan of kos or anything or even Darkeater Midir but generally it's very relaxing going through bits I've already done.
When you are good at one game, it turns into a relaxing game!

zokie

defintely ACNH , waiting for "The Roost" to open in Nov
Listening to the relaxing piano music and a cup of coffee in-game and reality

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Race the Sun. Might not be relaxing to all but that particular pace and trying to avoid hitting things, it's pretty ideal for not allowing room to think about much else.

rapid32.5

Dragon Quest XI, games with snow areas: Halo CE, Horizon Zero Dawn, Fallout New Vegas, Skyrim ,ect. Onimusha games have beautiful locales and soundtrack that calm me down.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Minecraft with a x1024 realistic texture pack, an awesome realistic shader, using Creative Mode with no mobs. I have 48GB of RAM allocated the Minecraft, and a 3090. It looks amazing, and it has buttery-smooth performance.

Kev Kev

At the moment: Superliminal and The Long Dark

In the past: Fallout 4, Skyrim, Minecraft, Worms, No Mans Sky

I love games where I can just chill and explore, enjoying some type of light, non stressful gameplay loop. Fallout 4 might be my favorite of all time for this. I couldn’t tel you what the hell the story is about, any of the characters names or the narrative in their missions, but I can tell you where to find a bunch of different rare and unique items as I have explored nearly every inch of the wasteland. On top of collecting them, I have created a museum of sorts to display all those items along with books, armor, weapons and nearly every permutation of power armor the game has to offer.

I rarely even engage in combat and never engage in conversation. I just sneak around, loot everything I can, and bring it back to my base and organize all my haul into separate containers, bins, toolboxes, etc, or put it on display. It’s immensely satisfying and super relaxing.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Rocket League. Yes, Rocket League.
This is a good one

But I play it a bit different and you’ll probably hate me for it lmao

I actually don’t try and play the game. Not in the traditional sense at least. I’m more of a bash brother type of role, where all I do is try to get demolitions 😂 even my team mates hate me for it but ho man is it satisfying. And yeah it’s weirdly relaxing too, bc I’m not the least bit concerned about the score. I just drive in a circle on the track and hog all the boost so I can easily demo anyone on the opposing team, and I love it!

Botw, Nintendo doesn’t need super spec machine to do its magic.
Come on man don’t try and start a console war, especially in a thread where we’re talking about relaxing

I don’t typically like to thread police, but the console warring shit has reached childish GameFAQs level of stupidity, to the point that mods are getting sick of it too. Read this if you haven’t already…

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/a-no...atform-warring-plaguing-many-threads.1619387/

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
No Man´s Sky Floating in Space
iu

iu

iu

... doing nothing but staring at everything flying by, the colors. Might be worth to get a VR HMD, just to chill in space listing to some soothing tunes.

Lol weird empathy reaction from Great Hair Great Hair

barack obama shrug GIF
Empathy definition is - the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings (imnotgrey), thoughts, and experience of another of either ....
internet seriously GIF
I remember floating in space in VR for the first time in NMS, smoking a bowl and just chilling out, looking up at the planet above me and watching freighters and other ships fly by. I dreamed about VR as a kid, and as I grew older I fell more in love with sci fi and space games/movies. So to finally be there and experience it was quite the memorable gaming milestone for me.

Last edited:
JRPG are my go to for everything. I like long cutscenes and conversation scenes, but sometimes I just like running around through fields and forests and seeing stats rise with level ups and items increasing. This might stem from my agoraphobia and other issues that prevent me from living normally outside my home.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Animal Crossing New Horizons.

No pressure. No demands. Very calming atmosphere and environment. It's just really chill.

Kev Kev

No Man´s Sky Floating in Space
iu

iu

iu

... doing nothing but staring at everything flying by, the colors. Might be worth to get a VR HMD, just to chill in space listing to some soothing tunes.
Lebron James Hug GIF by NBA

I remember floating in space in VR for the first time in NMS, smoking a bowl and just chilling out, looking up at the planet above me and watching freighters and other ships fly by. I dreamed about VR as a kid, and as I grew older I fell more in love with sci fi and space games/movies. So to finally be there and experience it was quite the memorable gaming milestone for me.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Right now it's Dead Cells while listening to podcasts or YouTube news and debates. It used to be pinball fx before that, but Dead Cells is perfect. It might sound chaotic to multitask like that but for me it's zen, kinda like listening to music while driving.

Kev Kev

Lebron James Hug GIF by NBA

Lol weird empathy reaction from Great Hair Great Hair

barack obama shrug GIF

EDIT: ok so apparently Great Hair Great Hair is trying to take a dig at me saying “I dreamed of vr since I was kid”, I assume because he feels that is beneath him, like I’m so nerdy or pathetic or whatever that he feels bad for me. And he does all that while simultaneously posting on a video game message board and doesn’t see the cringeworthy irony there 😂

my dude, I didn’t sit there and stare off into the night thinking about playing VR everyday as a kid (which is what I assume your imagining for you to take this to such a weirdly antagonistic level). I simply meant that I thought about it and I wondered what it would be like and couldn’t wait for it to be a thing. And now it is here and I am happy to enjoy it. lol like I was trying to be cool and just say I also enjoyed a thing that you enjoyed and you come back at me with “I feel bad for you”. I mean, what kind of a dick move is that?

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Usually any JRPG or something like Genshin Impact where I'll take a stroll around the world and relax. Farming in mobage is also a nice relaxant since it doesn't take much.

Top Bottom