• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game got you into gaming?

57sLoiU.png

when I was a kid country I lived in didn't have many video games and I didn't have any except I saw my cousin with a PS1 playing things like crash games and resident evil and played those a little, and my other cousin had a PC with red alert and few other games this was like idk 2001-2002. and they later got a PS2 we played a lot of stuff when we went there.

TLZ

Banned
Out of curiosity, was this the first time you were introduced to Rygar? I knew about it from the arcades. When I found out it was on NES as well, I had to get it. Not the exact same port obviously, but still awesome.

Or maybe I was just happy I had Rygar at home :pie_grinning_sweat:

Edit: I just read your blog, and obviously you never played the arcade version. Interesting indeed. Quite surprised you never finished the game!

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
I first started playing videogames when I was 3, playing with my brother’s PS1 and GBC, and using the family computer.

No idea what my first game was (again, I was 3), but my most distant memories are either playing Lego Island on PC or playing Saltwater Sport Fishing on PS1.

Shifty1897

Super Mario Bros got me into gaming at 4 years old, but Earthbound got me into JRPG's at 11 years old, and that's when I knew I was going to play games even when I'm 70.

I got a Sega Master System in Xmas or '89 or '90. It came with Alex Kidd in Miracle World, which I loved right from the start.
Prior to that, I'd heard the odd kid at school talking about Double Dragon etc, but was never that interested in video games. I still loved my GI Joes too and assumed video games would be too expensive to start wishing for.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Advanced Dungeons and Dragons on Intellivision. Great times.
Fuck yea !!! Which one ?

ivVTqv.jpg

or

The rogue like game Tower of Doom on the Intellivision was supposed to be D&D licensed also, but something fell thru. Great game too, btw.

ivVEYC.jpg

ivVkh5.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Probably Red Dead Redemption. I was a kid at the time, it was the first game I played online with random strangers. Merely playing poker with real live people on the internet was novel.

Kagey K

Banned
It wasn’t even one game, it was Arcade culture as a whole. It started with sit down PAC man and Galaga machines and flourished from there.

The Tennis home version and Atari 2600 just cemented it.

Reactions: TLZ

Collz69

I’m old, so mine is pac man, it’s the first video game I can remember back in the day’s when we didn’t have home video games (most people didn’t)

There was a pac man cab in our local chip shop, I remember watching people playing it, there was always a queue most of the time it was older lads playing and you would be lucky to get a turn, when we did it usually involved dying very quickly followed by regretting the loss of your 10 pence that could have been used to buy 10 penny sweets!

DonJimbo

I played on my friends nes and after that i got my first device the Gameboy with Mickey Mouse and then my parents bought me the original psone for my birthday and the first disc i owned was the demo one disc with crash bandicoot and Gran turismo and a trailer from mgs and i loved it

Poordevil

Played a little bit of Turok: Dinosaur Hunter on my nephew's N64. Was so taken with the whole experience, I went out and bought my own system and game.

JimiNutz

Banned
Tetris - unfortunately for me it was short lived.

I was given a Gameboy with Tetris as a present by an absent Father that I never saw. Mother decided that gaming wasn't good for children so took it away from me and sold it on to someone else after a month. Bitch probably did it just to spite my Dad lol

It wasn't until I was a teenager and had moved out from Mums to go and live with Dad that I really got into gaming thanks to Metal Gear Solid on the PS1.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Tetris - unfortunately for me it was short lived.

I was given a Gameboy with Tetris as a present by an absent Father that I never saw. Mother decided that gaming wasn't good for children so took it away from me and sold it on to someone else after a month. Bitch probably did it just to spite my Dad lol

It wasn't until I was a teenager and had moved out from Mums to go and live with Dad that I really got into gaming thanks to Metal Gear Solid on the PS1.
MGS1 would have been hard as fuck for a kid with no gaming clues.

Im going to press X to doubt on that one.

JimiNutz

Banned
MGS1 would have been hard as fuck for a kid with no gaming clues.

Im going to press X to doubt on that one.

By the time MGS came out I was 14/15.
The Gameboy is what I received as a child.

I had played a few games at friends houses before MGS so it wasn't my first ever experience with games (I didn't own any consoles myself). MGS was just the first game that I really got into and was obsessed by.

Saber

Gold Member
My story started with Sonic 1 for Master System. No matter how short it was compared to Mega Drive(got one years later), I still believe its better.
From that time the games I got where scaling harder. From that point also I didn't get what most of things meant to me because they were all in english language. Then my dad gave me a dictionary and soon I became to understand almost anything in games, even though I was small.

dave_d

What got me into it? Mostly when we'd go the bowling alley (geez what that mister?) I'd rather play Space Invaders or what ever game they had than bowl. (Yeah, I'm ancient school.)

Tenaciousmo

I always gamed and all but the ones that sealed the deal were DK country, Kirby super star, Yoshi's island. The one that had me obsessed about gaming : Diablo 2 W/ Expansion. ever since I have been lookig at games as a primary source of entertainment.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
First game is apart of being a gamer, I assume a AAA game got everyone into gaming. Sega Gensis and SNES were what was happening when I was growing up age 3-4,
ss_59c7a44fb3afd175bb56d72193d8da2c107e5a4b.600x338.jpg
220px-Zombies_Ate_My_Neighbors_box.jpg
snes_super_mario_world_p_wysauf.jpg
snes_teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_4-133677.jpg

220px-Sega_Genesis_Pitfall_-_The_Mayan_Adventure_cover_art.jpg

Jacknapes

Tetris on the Gameboy was where the gaming itch developed for me. It didn't really kick off my love of gaming until Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive.

TLZ

Banned
What got me into it? Mostly when we'd go the bowling alley (geez what that mister?) I'd rather play Space Invaders or what ever game they had than bowl. (Yeah, I'm ancient school.)
Hehe. We still do both, my family :)

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Hard to answer. First game I ever played a videogame was Frogger, probably.

But the game that really made me a gamer was either Sonic 1 or Golden Axe II for the Genesis. Actually the day I got the Genesis for my birthday, it came with Sonic and we went out and rented Golden Axe II.

I think, if I had to pick one, it would be Golden Axe II. It just grabbed me faster(no pun).

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
I was playing games before but i was playing them because i was bored and not because i really enjoyed them. The first game that made me serious about gaming and also excited about the potential that games had was this one:
screen43.jpg

Last edited:
I played when I was a kid but not too much. What really got me into gaming was the leap in maturity I felt Sony brought to the industry with the ps1. There was no more 8 bit music and sports games used real stats etc. The ps2 was the first console I bought and never looked back. I remember putting in GTA 3 with my buddy and we were blown away. I knew I made the right choice.

Born on the eastern side of the Berlin Wall, there were no video games in my life till 1990... with 5/6 I think, I got my first glimpse on some cheap Atari-knockoff... so yeah, that classic 32 games in one thingy was my first (and this was looooong years until my first "own" gaming system... my own cheap knockoff Atari) and I got hooked immediately... nothing in my entire live had the power to change that.

shaddam

I started paying games on a C64 with a black and white small tv. I can remember river raid and top gun. After that we got a 486 and played doom. I played some rail shooters in the mall, but I dont know the name. My first multiplayer was COD:UO in school. That was awesome

NahaNago

I'm the same with the super marios and duck hunt. That would be my earliest memory of gaming but it would have to be Final Fantasy 7 that got me hooked. I played that game when we were getting our ps1 modded. I didn't get the game until a while later though. It also could have been that tony hawk demo with that goldfinger superman song. Played that thing a ridiculous amount of times.

Top Bottom