• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game got you into gaming?

I had an NES, Genesis and 64 growing up but I never really played games outside of when friends were over or birthdays. We had a PC and I did play a fair amount of DOOM but it was more something I did when I was bored at home.

Diablo 1 is the first game that really hooked me. It was the first game I wanted to sit and play alone and the first game I remember turning down plans with friends because I wanted to play Diablo 1 all day.

Diablo 1 made me a "gamer"

Last edited:

GymWolf

Original black and white pong on my father machine, i was 3 years old if i remember well.
Then commodore 64 of my sister and arcade machines.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt here too. My cousins had it I came over and I was hooked.

spons

Tons of MS-DOS games and Contra on some kind of bootleg NES called Dendy, with the orange cartridges.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I can't say one name exactly, but Prince(ms-dos) came to my mind first. When i saw it for the first time at my fathers office when his colleague(oldest gamer i know-should be 71 right now) playing it, i was blown away by it's graphics and gameplay. It was first souls-like game imho. I can recall every detail about that first level still today. I wanted a pc badly at that time because of it.

Other than that, it's collection of games from mixed times like mario, captain tsubasa(nes), all kinds of atari games, tetris, and later on sensible soccer and street fighter 2(nes). I must mention solitaire too, because it made me think that pc's could be fun(not just a boring work station).

I basically witnessed game evolution(after commodore generation). Every game invented something new back then. Good times.

• Love
Reactions: TLZ
Crash Bandicoot. The first one. I didn't even understand that it was a game because I was a toddler and fucking stupid. I didn't even try to finish the level instead I spent the entire day blowing up Crash Bandicoot by having him spin into a TNT crate. I felt like a god. I think Hannibal Lector put it best, "It feels good because god has power and if one does what god does enough times one will become as god is." I swear those old Naughty Dog Crash Bandicoot games have some of the best death animations ever put into a video game, there are so many ways to kill that little orange rodent, the possibilities are endless.

scalman

Cant remember what game was first but ir was on friend house on sinclair 48k games where on cassettes and most vivid memories about fighting game barbarian, then dizzy, saboteur

Garnox

That distinction would go to either Mega Man 2 or SMB3.

I wanna say MM2 as it was one of the earliest games I recall seeing my older brothers play. Bubble Mans stage music will always have a special place in my heart.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Probably Modern Warfare 2. Before that I played games once in a while but I really wasn't into it as a hobby.

nani17

are in a big trouble
My dad's a gamer and he bought is a Commodore c64 and that was it I was hooked

Last edited:

Paasei

My dad was a minor collector of consoles (not every colour of the same console, just one of each). I started to like gaming when I played the SNES games Super Mario World and Aladdin.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't think I could choose just one game, but a few that stand out:

Q*Bert
Rampart
Joust
Kings Quest
Ultima 3
Choplifter!
Archon: The Light and the Dark

TLZ

Banned
I can't say one name exactly, but Prince(ms-dos) came to my mind first. When i saw it for the first time at my fathers office when his colleague(oldest gamer i know-should be 71 right now) playing it, i was blown away by it's graphics and gameplay. It was first souls-like game imho. I can recall every detail about that first level still today. I wanted a pc badly at that time because of it.

Other than that, it's collection of games from mixed times like mario, captain tsubasa(nes), all kinds of atari games, tetris, and later on sensible soccer and street fighter 2(nes). I must mention solitaire too, because it made me think that pc's could be fun(not just a boring work station).

I basically witnessed game evolution(after commodore generation). Every game invented something new back then. Good times.
Captain Tsubasa was the real deal. Still is for me. 2-5 are my favs.

You remind me of an old friend I had in the 80s/90s. Very similar stories.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

The old arcade Star Wars game. Repeatedly destroying the Death Star was confusing as fuck to me back then.
225px-Star_wars_gameplay.png

Sybb

Banned
Ice Climber, because it blew me away with the ability to change co-op/counter-op on the fly. It actually impressed me more than Super Mario Bros. because of this.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Captain Tsubasa was the real deal. Still is for me. 2-5 are my favs.

You remind me of an old friend I had in the 80s/90s. Very similar stories.
All our neighbourhood played that second one in Japanese(cracked NES was a thing in our country:messenger_grimmacing_, they all called them consoles "Atari"). One of my friend came to our house and taught me which one was shooting(right direction), passing(left direction) etc. We never understood what's going on in that game, but played it night and day. I was holding it's cassete and looking at it's cover occasionaly while i wasn't playing it.

We also watched that anime with great love. We were talking about it in school. I was trying to get home from school while dribbling the ball with foot(likes Tsubasa):messenger_grinning:. But i don't remember which one got me first.

2 and 5 also my favourites. I played ps1(or ps2?) sequel but it was nowhere near as fun as originals.

The Legend of Zelda, in 1988. Borrowed my neighbors' daughter's NES for a week I believe, and was so impressed, particularly by that game, that I tried to convince my parents to get a NES as well. Of course with that game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Duck Tales 2 and Super Mario Land 2 were my first two own games that were good. I got the Game Boy together with Duck Tales 2, Asterix & Obelix and Power Rangers The Movie. The latter two were absolute trash, whereas Duck Tales 2 was great, but a bit difficult for a first game (took me several months to beat). Had my next game not been Super Mario Land 2, I would have stopped playing though, because of how terrible Asterix & Obelix and Power Rangers were.

TLZ

Banned
All our neighbourhood played that second one in Japanese(cracked NES was a thing in our country:messenger_grimmacing_, they all called them consoles "Atari"). One of my friend came to our house and taught me which one was shooting(right direction), passing(left direction) etc. We never understood what's going on in that game, but played it night and day. I was holding it's cassete and looking at it's cover occasionaly while i wasn't playing it.

We also watched that anime with great love. We were talking about it in school. I was trying to get home from school while dribbling the ball with foot(likes Tsubasa):messenger_grinning:. But i don't remember which one got me first.

2 and 5 also my favourites. I played ps1(or ps2?) sequel but it was nowhere near as fun as originals.
We must've lived in similar countries. You're sharing very familiar stories. Are you in the middleeast? Precisely, the Arabian gulf?

Back then, everyone called anything gaming related 'Atari'. It was funny. And yes, no one understood a thing of Captain Tsubasa 2, but we still enjoyed it a lot :D And I actually meant 2 to 5 btw, as in 2,3,4 and 5 ;) I still play them to this day.

Cool story about wanting to be Tsubasa. I think we all wanted to be him too. Copying all his moves, or Captain Hyuga too, and the twins.

Nightrunner

Here in Pakistan one of the free OTA stations used to air Captain Majid as well. The arcade we used to game in also had a PSX cabinet and Cap. Tsubasa (NTSC-J) for the PSX was something we played a lot.

Kev Kev

i remember playing a lot of duck hunt and mario of course, paperboy, excite bike...

but it wasn't until i got a hold of Shining Force II on SEGA that I really came around to sinking hour and hour into games, thinking about them and getting excited to play them when i got home, and all around just considering myself a gamer. it's one of the first games i remember beating and it was like this amazing feat back then lol

BlackTron

When I was 5-6 I got an NES with Mario/Duck Hunt along with a copy of DuckTales. This is the event that blew open my understanding of gaming, but I had already dabbled in a few very basic DOS games my dad would load off floppy disks for me to try. Mario Bros. is legendary of course, but I really fell in love with SMB3. I also managed to get Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers -the co-op in this game defined how fun games could be with an ally.

A very short time later, I was playing Sonic 1 on Genesis and Super Mario World. Titles like these are totally essential milestones.

Until I was about 10, gaming was still all about platforming. I rented a game because it looked like Mario with advanced graphics. When I tried to play the game, I was confused and not sure what was going on. I couldn't tell whether it was a bad game or I was missing something. Once it clicked, the brilliance of this game and a full understanding of the treasure I had stumbled upon hit me like a ton of bricks all at once. That game was Super Mario RPG.

While that game defined me as a nerd glued to the TV set, gaming continued to surprise me with many rapid-fire punches throughout the 90's I couldn't ignore: the advent of N64 with games like Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye, PC gaming a la Starcraft and Half-Life, culminating with Dreamcast which blew my mind with its graphics and more milestone games like Phantasy Star Online.

The rapid progression in the 90's kept prolonging my excitement and defining my gaming tastes which remain today, however really you can credit it all with SMB/DuckTales which I got the same day.

RAL1992

Quite honestly it was halo, I was the only kid at school with an xbox (everyone else in my group had playstations) and the house was crammed on a regular basis with friends wanting to play it.

dilbag

Snes contra 3 alien wars was one of the first games i really got into too.

a little bit later ps1 just hooked me then... starcraft and diablo 2... after that those games there was no going back....

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
We must've lived in similar countries. You're sharing very familiar stories. Are you in the middleeast? Precisely, the Arabian gulf?

Back then, everyone called anything gaming related 'Atari'. It was funny. And yes, no one understood a thing of Captain Tsubasa 2, but we still enjoyed it a lot :D And I actually meant 2 to 5 btw, as in 2,3,4 and 5 ;) I still play them to this day.

Cool story about wanting to be Tsubasa. I think we all wanted to be him too. Copying all his moves, or Captain Hyuga too, and the twins.

I'm from Turkey, i think that will explain it:messenger_grinning: I tried Hyuga-like shots againts waves too but i didn't like him as much as i like Tsubasa or Misaki or Misugi. Twins were irritating imho(we tried that twin jump move too-it was painful).
Tsubasa 2 and 5 were exceptional, but they were all good and timeless classics. Rpg football game? Genius. I hope they bring some more in future.

Here in Pakistan one of the free OTA stations used to air Captain Majid as well. The arcade we used to game in also had a PSX cabinet and Cap. Tsubasa (NTSC-J) for the PSX was something we played a lot.

I heard about Captain Majid, it sounded funny when i heard it first time(we use "Macit" name too, but infrequently). Then i heard about a German version(tv show).
There is also a American version, "Tecmo Cup" game, features Robin. I played that game instead of Captain Tsubasa 1.

• Love

Nightrunner

I'm from Turkey, i think that will explain it:messenger_grinning: I tried Hyuga-like shots againts waves too but i didn't like him as much as i like Tsubasa or Misaki or Misugi. Twins were irritating imho(we tried that twin jump move too-it was painful).
Tsubasa 2 and 5 were exceptional, but they were all good and timeless classics. Rpg football game? Genius. I hope they bring some more in future.

I heard about Captain Majid, it sounded funny when i heard it first time(we use "Macit" name too, but infrequently). Then i heard about a German version(tv show).
There is also a American version, "Tecmo Cup" game, features Robin. I played that game instead of Captain Tsubasa 1.
Have you checked out the Inazuma 11 games? They're kinda like Captain Tsubasa and do scratch the same itch for the most part.

TLZ

Banned
I'm from Turkey, i think that will explain it:messenger_grinning: I tried Hyuga-like shots againts waves too
Ah yes that explains it. Very similar experiences indeed.

And lol at the waves part. I did that too. Pretty sure people were thinking what's up with this silly kid kicking his ball at waves 😂

I still have hope they release a new game that resembles the classic ones. I Google it in Japanese every now and then. But since Tecmo did these games and they don't have the license anymore I think, I don't think we'll ever see that happen. I'd be happy with a collection even. The last proper one we had was the PS2 version. I kinda liked it but it's too short compared to the classics.

Also the smartphone version we have now doesn't cut it at all :(

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Ah yes that explains it. Very similar experiences indeed.

And lol at the waves part. I did that too. Pretty sure people were thinking what's up with this silly kid kicking his ball at waves 😂

I still have hope they release a new game that resembles the classic ones. I Google it in Japanese every now and then. But since Tecmo did these games and they don't have the license anymore I think, I don't think we'll ever see that happen. I'd be happy with a collection even. The last proper one we had was the PS2 version. I kinda liked it but it's too short compared to the classics.

Also the smartphone version we have now doesn't cut it at all :(
Ahh, that smartphone version. I completely forgot that. I watched some Youtube videos to remember it...

I'm glad that i forgot it. PVP and lootboxes not goes well together(especially in this game).
Nice engine though, i will play a story driven offline game build with it.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
When the Super Nintendo came out, my family bought me a used NES. The first game I played was Final Fantasy, it was amazing.

Heck I didn’t even know what a computer was until I was in a middle school computer class. Blew my mind, I guess I never paid attention till then. Of course it was 1990, so computers weren’t everywhere, at least I don’t think they were.

TLZ

Banned
Ahh, that smartphone version. I completely forgot that. I watched some Youtube videos to remember it...

I'm glad that i forgot it. PVP and lootboxes not goes well together(especially in this game).
Nice engine though, i will play a story driven offline game build with it.

I agree. I'd love a proper story version with that engine too.

Airola

I was always super interested in anything that had buttons you could use to interact with whatever is in whatever screen.

This is one of my earliest gaming memories:

This was awesome too:

This might've been the first console game I ever played:

Codswallop_

Neophyte
First console was an old hand me down Intellivision with a bunch of games, after our grandparents closed their rental store. Utopia and AD&D absolutely consumed me at 4.

They also give us an Atari with a bunch of games with full boxes/art inserts. I probably spent more time daydreaming over that Atari art than actually playing the games. Of course parents chucked it all out around the time the snes released. What a waste :(

I was always super interested in anything that had buttons you could use to interact with whatever is in whatever screen.

This is one of my earliest gaming memories:

This was awesome too:

This might've been the first console game I ever played:

I had the Tomy racing one, it was rad. Also had a binocular like game here i was a scuba diver harpooning sharks. Fun tmes.

Top Bottom