• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you really want to like but you just cant?

Banned
Hype. Expectation. And the time you invested.

for the first 2 that's more like wanting it to be good, and then if it turns out bad, it's bad and that's about it.

as for time invested, well I usually don't invest a lot of time into games I don't like.
if I do it's more about giving the game a chance to get good over time, and if it doesn't, then, oh well...

I wouldn't say I ever wanted to like a game

Last edited:
My list:

- Astral Chain
only one on your list that i tried to like & failed (fuck the astral plane! - one of the ugliest places i've ever encountered in a video game, & that's where you spend half your time? fuck that!)...

both mgs4 & arkham knight i love. ffvii remake & forbidden west i actively disliked & never really expected to like them. the rest? i never really wanted to like them...

Last edited:
only one on your list that i tried to like & failed (fuck the astral plane! - one of the ugliest places i've ever encountered in a video game, & that's where you spend half your time? fuck that!)...

both mgs4 & arkham knight i love. ffvii remake & forbidden west i actively disliked & never really expected to like them. the rest? i never really wanted to like them...
It had potential. I just hate how dumbed down it feels compared to other platinum/character action games. It's locked 30fps for petes sake! Then you have the atrocious gimmick sections which made me think B1s gimmicky parts weren't that bad after all. Stiff level design and movement as well like you can't even jump.

I wouldn't say it's really bad though it's just very mid tbh. It's saving grace is that the combat is still somewhat fun although very weak for a platinum title.

As for the others:

MGS4 - Only the first two acts I found enjoyable. The rest were just poorly designed gimmick sections and the plot gradually gets more and more overconvoluted and stupid with nanomachines basically being magic amongst other thigns.

Arkham Knight - Way too much villain monologuing. Spongey mobs, boring level design, boring gadgets, etc.

FF7R - Less than the sum of it's parts imo. Good gameplay, visuals and OST. I didn't mind the story either I just see it as it's own thing seperate from the original. I didn't like how there was so much filler as they had to bloat the midgar section out into a full game. And then there's lots of cinematic sections like where you're squeezing through rubble.

FW - Just ZD but weaker in every area besides graphics. Even the graphics didn't look that much better, it's only really noticeable in grassy areas and cutscenes and I played on PS5 too.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
GTA games. On paper they seem awesome. Open world, killing, guns etc...

I've tried GTA 3, 4 and 5. I just can get into them. The driving mechanics are crap, too many cut scenes, the shooting isn't crisp like a shooter game. I dont know if GTA 5 got a boosted 60 fps mode, but each time I played them the game was max 30 fps which is shit too. GTA 3 on PS2 was the worst. It must had run at 20-25.

I've tried GTA 3, 4 and 5. I just can get into them. The driving mechanics are crap, too many cut scenes, the shooting isn't crisp like a shooter game. I dont know if GTA 5 got a boosted 60 fps mode, but each time I played them the game was max 30 fps which is shit too. GTA 3 on PS2 was the worst. It must had run at 20-25.
I enjoyed playing GTA vice city when I was a kid but when I tried them again(GTA V) at 19 I stopped playing after like an hour or two.

T4keD0wN

I tried 6 different Yakuza games because i liked the idea and nope, theyre just too weird for me.
Every JRPG ive tried, i cant stand the characters constantly grunting, moaning and behaving like they have 0 social experience.
Uncharted 4: Why waste my time by creating a great 2h movie and then stretching it into 15h game? If you want to make a movie make a movie and not a game which is way more difficult.

Last edited:

badblue

Dying Light.

Everything about the game is right up my alley, I just can't play it as it's the only video game I've played that gives me motion sickness.

sedg87

Banned
The Zelda games. Bought Breath of the Wild with my Switch at launch and sunk around fifteen hours into it before dropping it. Didn't want to give up with the entire series so I decided to buy Ocarina of time and couldn't get into that either. Didn't give up there and also bought Wind Waker and Link Between worlds, but I couldn't get into those two, too. Just not for me, I guess.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Forget crap GTAs on consoles. GTAs = PC.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I wish I could still like what I liked as a teen. I loved Final Fantasy Tactics, but if a new game came out with the same art style I wouldn't even give it a chance because the art style no longer appeals to me. Same goes for anime so something like Persona is dead to me even though I loved Persona one as a teen.

tommib

Just another thread to shit on games that are loved by many…

My turn now:
Horizon ZD/FW
Plague Tale 1&2
Witcher 3
Fallout 4

Last edited:
Read Dead Redemption. So I would have two Rockstar Games per decade to play. But without cars, RDR is just not interesting for me ;) I think, there should be a cheat to spawn some GTA cars in it :D

Last edited:

Fbh

Monster Hunter.
I like the combat, the art direction, I think the weapons and armors look cool. But I just find them too repetitive and grindy

dDoc

Gta series. Why these are so popular is beyond me.

Witcher 3. Good dialogue/side quests but the combat is just meh.

Not played cause I'm sure I wouldn't like it much - Horizon FW.

YukiOnna

Horizon Franchise
I fell asleep... You have to do something better than that if you're doing anything robot related because the Japanese will run loops around you. What a shame since the designs are great.

HL3.exe

Every Soulsborne. I find there structure immensely boring, and respawning enemies immersion breaking. It all feels to 'gamey'. There lore and way of storytelling also never grabbed me.

The furthest I've got was Elden Ring, really wanted to love it after all the praise but it got and it still didn't manage too keep me hooked and uninstalled it out of boredom.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Final Fantasy XII.

Everything about it appeals to me except the godawful combat and not being able to plan out builds since the skill board hides what the nodes are.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Three Houses is a good one. Also was pretty underwhelmed with Ragnarok. Also Elden Ring just had too many combat and balancing flaws which sucked the fun out of a game I was really looking forward to.

Last edited:

Rykan

Pretty much any Bethesda game. I appreciate the scale, ambition and attention to detail these games are going for, but the actual gameplay mechanics just hold the game back. I'll keep buying them though, because they keep getting better with every iteration and eventually they'll reach a point where I can enjoy them.

Last edited:
BOTW I appreciate for what it did for modern open world in scaling back on guidance but compared to other open worlds it feels so bare bones, barren and dead. Plus the performance sucks so I can’t get into it beyond a curiosity.

Amiga

Bethesda RPGs(played one, played them all)
Most Nintendo games post-Gamecube.(yes graphics)

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Breath of the Wild. It has potential but Jesus Christ is it bogged down by shit weapons and uninspiring story. It's so dull. I made a few efforts to start it but it's just not for me. Now once I wade through the bullshit media hype for the sequel and find out the issues I had were tweaked, then I'd give TOTK a shot. Im hoping this is the case. If it is more of the same then I might try BOTW one last time and if it still doesn't click, then I'm finished with the Zelda series for another while.

Chronicle

Nier autamata. What shit game with shit music and bubble shooting monsters. Get out of your basements boys.

Mario odyssey is trash. Garbage controls, terrible gameplay and childish.

-Minsc-

Back during the PS3 era I nabbed a copy of Chrono Cross. I really enjoyed Chrono Trigger as a teen. Just could not get into it.

Another would be Xenoblade for the Wii. I probably got 70% (maybe 90?) through it before I stopped. Great game, but I could not get myself to invest the time to keep going. It must be a case of my brain moving on from chapter of life in

Top Bottom