• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you really want to like but you just cant?

Deerock71

I've sincerely tried to like the Final Fantasy series, but random battles are like telling me I can only eat broccoli dipped in sostromming fermented fish juice for the rest of my life.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sekiro: I am just bad at parrying so you can't progress in this game unless you learn how to do that.
JRPGs. Save for a few exceptions. I specially wanted to get into Xenogears but I hate how slow these games are. Chrono Trigger was amazing though.
Visual Novels
Dirt Rally: Too hard to play with a controller.

I've sincerely tried to like the Final Fantasy series, but random battles are like telling me I can only eat broccoli dipped in sostromming fermented fish juice for the rest of my life.
I agree. I grew up with the franchise so i'm used to it but it's a terrible design choice and i'm glad the recent entries as well as most other JRPGs let you choose when to have encounters.

You should try "Tales of" games, it's like FF but more anime style and it doesn't force random encoutners on you. You choose if you want to bump into enemies on the map to fight. You can also use holy bottles to keep them away.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Skyward Sword

I've tried like 3 times. It's just SO painfully boring! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when people praise it. Two of my best friends love it and while I normally love Zelda, I don't get it here.

I got as far as Lanayru Mining Facility and I just...can't.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The Zelda games. Bought Breath of the Wild with my Switch at launch and sunk around fifteen hours into it before dropping it. Didn't want to give up with the entire series so I decided to buy Ocarina of time and couldn't get into that either. Didn't give up there and also bought Wind Waker and Link Between worlds, but I couldn't get into those two, too. Just not for me, I guess.
This is it for me too. I swear I get every Zelda game, play for about 5 hours, then get bored.

Combat is much simpler than a good ARPG. Story is much simpler than a good story-driven game. Character/gear progression are boring and one dimensional. There are no big choices to make. Exploration/puzzles mostly consist of “figure out how to use this item in exactly the way the designers intended”.

It always starts out really charming and gets me excited for an adventure. Then almost immediately I lose my motivation to keep going.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
You have a lot of good ones, OP. FF7R is a big one for me too.

The visuals and sound are mind blowing for a fan of the original. Battle system is also pretty fun.

Then you realize all the ugly parts. Characters fucking yap and yap forever in that “I don’t know how normal adults interact with each other” anime style. Tons of awkward grunting and sighing, like a character can’t have a thought pass through their head without making a noise so we get it. All the villains are these comically evil mustache-twirling caricatures that belong in some Saturday morning cartoon.

Plus all the filler. The very first thing you do when you reach the slums is… go door-to-door replacing water filters. Then you go to the abandoned junkyard to exterminate monsters. Then go to the abandoned warehouse to exterminate monsters. Then help some girl find her missing cats….

Yeahhhh, fuck that. Midgar was like 5-6 hours in the original, because that was the amount of time they needed to tell the story they wanted to tell.

I’ve tried 3 attempts so far, each time I gave up around the part where you meet Aeris and have to pick flowers in her flower garden.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Pretty much any soulsborne, Metal Gear Solid games, Witcher 3, Breath of the Wild

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Portal 2. I really like Portal 1 but the sequel is too hard for me. I don't usually like puzzles in games.

supernova8

Banned
Bethesda RPGs(played one, played them all)
Yeah this is how it feels for me too. I really cannot understand why people liked Skyrim and then why there was enough demand for them to keep re-releasing and milking the shit out of it.

I tried Skyrim and my immediate feeling was "this is just Oblivion with marginally better visuals"

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I've never been able to get into Zelda. I've tried so many times due to how popular the series is, but I've always found the games boring and uninspired.
I feel you.

If you have a 3DS give ALBW a go
It’s really compact but at the same time offers a nice story. The music is epic at times. Really nice quality.

If you have a switch play BoTW but play it as an exploration game and take it a shrine or self set objectives at a time.
Also enjoy the sandbox madness. Experiment with the in game physics engine.

I chose these two as they are I feel quicker to make progress in.

#—————————#

My rant now :

I really want to like Souls style games but after a while I just get bored/frustrated by them. The whole stamina based combat sucks you have to constantly plan out attacks, which ok great if you gave me time not just cheap kill me with enemies who need to be attacked multiple times meaning your character is standing there wheezing after a few swings of the sword. Or toe the dodge roll to the same stamina Enemies can nearly one hit kill you, figure turn into litre wars of attraction add to that the minuscule delay between pressing the attack button and the actual attack. )Plus your character seems to turn as slow as a garbage truck sometimes.) It’s either a delay or the animation it feels like it doesn’t flow. It feels like you are gimping yourself beforehand. No I will not get gud to progress. It should happen at the same time. Not just oh you dead try again. Grind grind grind. Get gud.

Yeah I can tell a lot of people love these games but try as I might I can’t. I bought Ashen on a sale and I’m really gonna try to power through but each time when I die at a stupid point I just think ffs.
Sacha Baron Cohen Thumbs Up GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Edit
Flipping jet lag. I can’t sleep and ranting.

Last edited:

sainraja

Breath of the Wild. It has potential but Jesus Christ is it bogged down by shit weapons and uninspiring story. It's so dull. I made a few efforts to start it but it's just not for me. Now once I wade through the bullshit media hype for the sequel and find out the issues I had were tweaked, then I'd give TOTK a shot. Im hoping this is the case. If it is more of the same then I might try BOTW one last time and if it still doesn't click, then I'm finished with the Zelda series for another while.
If you didn't like BOTW, I doubt TOTK will change your mind. I mean, I don't like the weapon breaking aspect, specially since it's so quick to break....but the overall package is awesome so it's one of my favorite games.

Side note: I chased after the Master Sword thinking it won't "break" like all the other weapons and I had it in my head that this is why they wanted us to chase after the Master Sword but even that will 'require' a charge; the game is fun in other aspects that it more than makes up for the silly weapon breaking system.

I don't necessarily want it gone (a wood sword breaking, or a weapon wearing out overtime with use makes sense) but I would like it not to break so quickly.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
If you didn't like BOTW, I doubt TOTK will change your mind. I mean, I don't like the weapon breaking aspect, specially since it's so quick to break....but the overall package is awesome so it's one of my favorite games.

Side note: I chased after the Master Sword thinking it won't "break" like all the other weapons and I had it in my head that this is why they wanted us to chase after the Master Sword but even that will 'require' a charge; the game is fun in other aspects that it more than makes up for the silly weapon breaking system.

I don't necessarily want it gone (a wood sword breaking, or a weapon wearing out overtime with use makes sense) but I would like it not to break so quickly.
After much annoyance I then felt weapon breaking forces you to explore and use other abilities. I think without it I wouldn’t have bothered searching all over the place for better weapons or finding fun ways to take on enemies. Such as loving metal boxes or boulders at them or exploding them in a fiery death while listening to their screams as there whole base burns.
Stare Dave GIF by Derek Tee

Last edited:
Don't really have any new games to dislike, but these are some older ones:

The Mario Galaxy games
Mario Kart Double Dash
Mario Sunshine
Skyward Sword
Halo 5 campaign
Halo Reach
Halo 3

Any of the Fallout Games
The Persona Series(Love the music, hate the games)
The Fire Emblem Series(And I love Strategy games, but ehhh)

I own a bunch of games linked to these 3 properties^ cause im open minded and willing to buy with the hopes of..."This one will change my mind"...and they never do. I know their good games, just not my cup of tea

Korso

Assassin's Creed. Everything about it appeals to me. The settings, action combat, stealth, fucking Egypt!... I just can't get into them even after trying almost all of them.

When I was younger I was so insecure that It would stress me out that I couldn’t get into the following games. I thought I was too stupid to get them.

The 16-bit Sonics
Super Metroid
Half Life
Metal Gear Solid

Lately the God of War games leave me completely cold. Like somebody above said about another title, I feel as though I’m taking crazy pills when i hear other people talk about them.

And I’d love to get into Monster Hunter but the art style is so atrocious.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Strategy / RTS. I'm just not the kind of player that can invest the kind of time required to learn them properly.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
None tbh.

Either I like them, or I dont.

I dont see a point in wanting to like something that you dont.

BabyYoda

Banned
Any Halo after CE except ODST.

Any Zelda. Played many of them, almost always loved the worlds, but I would always get bored at some point, the Darksider's games are a better take on that kind of genre imho.

Any Bethesda game other than Oblivion and Fallout 3. Maybe Dark Souls 1 spoilt me, but playing Skyrim after that legendary game really hit home how poor it was and that it was like a less interesting Oblivion. I really hope Starfield breaks this "curse"!

Sonic 3 (never tried Knuckles after that huge disappointment, maybe I just outgrew it, don't think so though).

Every 3D Sonic game (except for the Sumo racing games).

Any 3D mario game after Mario 64.

Every MGS except Ground Zeroes. Really tried to enjoy MGS5, played 80 hours or so, game became a chore. (Death Stranding is superb though)

Any MOBA (I'm over it though).

All Blizzard games except for WOW at it's peak.

Any MMO except WOW at it's peak.

MHW. Kinda liked it a little, but just didn't grab me, haven't tried the others tbh.

Any online shooter (I'm over it though).

RDR1 (never tried the sequel). Beautiful but dull.

Every Deus Ex except for Human Revolution.

Hollow Knight. Didn't like the flash like graphics, but mostly the games map became an absolute slog to get around after things opened up.

Elite Dangerous. Everything was a depressingly mundane chore, only docking was fun for me. Still waiting on something to top Freelancer, no it won't be Star Citizen!

Bioshock 1 (didn't play the sequels except Infinite, which was even more boring and I didn't like the narratives obvious agenda)), halfway in I just lost all interest for some reason. Absolutely loved Prey 2017 though, it was everything I wanted Bioshock to be.

The Witcher 2&3, both felt like awful versions of Souls games to me, I may give 3 another go, but it feels like a chore and it's just not clicking, don't like the art direction either.

Obduction, loved Cyan's other work, especially Myst (including the recent remake) and Riven, but this felt like it was made by people that didn't understand what made those games so great. Really hope their next game is a return to form.

(I'll add more games as I think of them, as well as explanations)

Edit: I'm sure there's more, but that's long enough list to piss someone off :p

Last edited:

GymWolf

Zelda botw, bought a switch almost solely for it, tried 2 times, first time 40 hours, second time 15 hours, it is just so fucking boring after a while and exploration is a joke, nothing rewarding to find and story\characters are just juvenile uninteresting crap.

Bethesda games, recently tried again both skyrim and f3-4, shitty combat, shitty writing and shitty optimization, i just can't bare with that unless you install 347475737 mods.

Hollow knight, shitty map system, mono-weapon AND super basic combat are just not what i search in a metroidvania, also too much platforming for my taste, bailed out after 10 hours.

Mh rise, after hundreds and hundreds of hours in world i really wanted to love this but he has so many thing that i don't like compared to world.
More mobility is not gonna change things for me, still a great game because you know, it's a mh game.

Ff7 remake, the vanilla title is one of my favourite so i wanted to love this disgusting milking operations with third level fanfiction story and an hybrid combat that is not a good action nor a good menu based system, this shit was even way more heartbreaking than mgs twin snakes on gc, at least that one had the original plot pretty much still intact.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I've never been able to get into Zelda. I've tried so many times due to how popular the series is, but I've always found the games boring and uninspired.
The entire series? 2D, 3D, spin-offs? Maybe you just tried a bad one?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
TLOU, it just takes away all of the fun puzzle solving and climbing of uncharted and just leaves the horrible fighting and stealth. I’ve bought and tried to get into it twice now but it’s just not happening.

Half Life games.
Did not finish the original HL when it was released. Bought the xmas-edition with Source remaster, but did not like HL:S at all, forced my way through it to be prepared for HL2, which I also did not like that much as reviews and the general opinion made me believe. Started to warm up to it only with Episode 2, which I only got because of Portal and the Orange Box bundle.
Silent protagonist and rather vague shallow stories are not my thing.

Unreal 1 (and 2)
For some reason liked Turok on N64 but Unreal felt hollow. Iirc it has no story or characters, so just running around sort of aimlessly, without purpose, targets and atmosphere.

Resident Evil 1
Tried several times, original and REmake, but never understood how to play it. Eternal Darkness was fine, and I believe is somewhat similar, but RE1 and me never synced at all.

Gears of War
I like Vanquish and Uncharted's mechanics but Gears never felt good. Weirdly slow and tankish which I didn't mind with Killzone 2, maybe it is just the reload that annoys me very much.

Doom 2016
Running way too fast around finding keycards bores the shit out of me. Liked Doom3 and Quake 4 or Serious Sam 3 (even as the terrible PS3 port) much more. Don't know if I ever finish it.

TLoU
Loved the intro sequence but afterwards it fell of a cliff and I might never finish it.

Souls games
Platinumed Demons Souls to give it a proper chance, loved some of it, but hated some of it at the same time. Afterwards checked the Dark Souls demo a few minutes, started Lords of the Fallen and Bloodborne but none kindled much hope that I would suffer through any of them.

Practically all open world games
Limited areas like Vampire Bloodlines or Stalker or just as background like in Mafia 1 is so much better. I just don't get why devs even bother with all the shitty side quests if most games have problems to even have a half decent main campaign. RDR2 could have been a brillant all time classic if all the time wasting would have been removed. Every AC would be many times better without all the garbage, wasting half of your playtime going from A to B instead of assassinations and actually playing something.
Trying to be efficient but a fuckton of mundane tasks that just take forever for someone that aims at completion to some degree is just no good mix.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Any Nintendo game because I don't own any Nintendo console and I don't really want to considering how expensive everything is for Switch, and because of those idiotic decisions that Nintendo keeps making all the time. They genuinely trigger me. Like, why the hell would they put a limited time to buy a digital version of those Mario remasters? Or why would they consistently release an inferior hardware that only serves to hold back the entire platform?

They're so stupid that I just can't in good conscience spend any money to bankroll their bullshit.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Any Nintendo game because I don't own any Nintendo console and I don't really want to considering how expensive everything is for Switch, and because of those idiotic decisions that Nintendo keeps making all the time. They genuinely trigger me. Like, why the hell would they put a limited time to buy a digital version of those Mario remasters? Or why would they consistently release an inferior hardware that only serves to hold back the entire platform?

They're so stupid that I just can't in good conscience spend any money to bankroll their bullshit.
76b3i4.jpg

Here we go:

Fallout 3 and 4 (haven't played NV). They're good games I guess, but I can't decide whether I want to shoot through every scenario or focus on gaining exp points. Meanwhile, I'm doing neither.

Mass Effect. Ok, we hop from planet to planet and have detailed dialogues with funky looking aliens. The vehicles are uncontrollable and the party is a hassle to coordinate with. Cool skills though.

Wipeout on PS3. Coming from F-Zero GX I was expecting responsive driving (flying) but the spaceships feel like they carry so much inertia and the sensation of speed is severely compromised. Feels like driving a low spec FWD in Gran Turismo.

The Witcher 3. Haven't played much of this, but as far as I can tell it's the same "run to the next checkpoint" as any other RPG of the last 15 years. Oblivion had funny looking NPCs along with superb quests and scenarios at least. Graphics and acting are top notch though.

Forza Horizon 5. A driving game, with a story. Why. Don't talk to me while I'm driving fast.

Sonic Adventure 2. I love the early 00s aesthetic and the involuntary humour so much. But the game feels like a tech demo and the story is a complete mess.

Drizzlehell

Banned
The title of the thread is "games that you want to like but can't" not "games you don't like even though you haven't played them".

I want to play Nintendo games but can't because they're tied to a shitty hardware made by company that hates its customers.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

I really wanted to like Immortality. On paper, it seemed like a cool concept and interesting story, but in practice it just felt so dull to get through.

I couldn’t be arsed to zoom in on random parts of video clips hoping it leads to some video I haven’t discovered yet. It felt like a more idiotic version of a point-and-click adventure.

P5 strikers was super hyped , day1 purchase.
Loved the original and was excited to be back in that world.
The gameplay just isn’t for me, was tempted to play it on easy mode just for the chill moment but moved on and never got back to it.

chixdiggit

Zelda Breath of the Wild: Zelda games used to be my main jam and I have slowly fell out of love with them. BOTW left me completely cold.
Red Dead 2: Really enjoyed the first one but just can't get into the sequel. I like a lot about the game including the story and characters but just don't have the motivation to continue.
Crypt of the Necrodancer: It's an awesome idea but I just never understood all the praise. As a rhythm game it's mediocre. As a roguelite it's mediocre. Add them together and it's mediocre + mediocre = mediocre.
Xcom 2: I love strategy games of all sorts but the Xcom series just has too much filler and not enough killer. Mix in the 97% chance to hit but still miss frustration and I just feel there are better options.

Top Bottom