• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you really want to like but you just cant?

Kumomeme

FFXV

i can overlook game flaw as long im enjoyed it. but for this game..i simply cant. especially considering those obvious flaw is something that should never been happened at first place. same goes with XIII.

Absolutely loved the Bat tank, no idea why peeps had a problem with it.
It's just not what I wanted from a Batman game. I loved the previous Arkham games for their combat, stealth, and exploration. They just needed to find tune those aspects and not throw in a in an unnecessary fourth gameplay loop.

BabyYoda

Banned
It's just not what I wanted from a Batman game. I loved the previous Arkham games for their combat, stealth, and exploration. They just needed to find tune those aspects and not throw in a in an unnecessary fourth gameplay loop.
I guess I felt different, AA was awesome, but by AC, it was beginning to get a bit samey to me, the tank injected much needed variety imo. Bloody loved that game, prob my fave of that generation.

I guess I felt different, AA was awesome, but by AC, it was beginning to get a bit samey to me, the tank injected much needed variety imo. Bloody loved that game, prob my fave of that generation.
That's fair. Reasonable minds can disagree. But I'm glad you liked it.

Orta

Banned
Tried all of these this year, several times. I'm not ignorant enough to say they're poor games but for whatever reason they just utterly refuse to click with me. Doom being the biggest disappointment of all with the original being the best game ever made imo :messenger_crying:

Bayonetta series
Doom 2016/Eternal
Ghostrunner
GTA series from III onwards
Forza Horizon 4 & 5

Fuz

Banned
Chrono Trigger
You like Chained Echoes but don't like Chrono Trigger?
cikYa.gif

FBeeEye

Banned
Racing sims, arcade racing games like Forza Horizon, and fighting games. I need immersive world's with storylines.

Oh yeah, and souls-like games. I ended up beating but hating the Star Wars game from Respawn.

The janky parry system and respawning enemies turned me off.

Last edited:
Tried all of these this year, several times. I'm not ignorant enough to say they're poor games but for whatever reason they just utterly refuse to click with me. Doom being the biggest disappointment of all with the original being the best game ever made imo :messenger_crying:

Doom 2016/Eternal
Oh shit. Doom Eternal. Totally forgot about that. I actually loved Doom 2016, but was gutted when I discovered that Eternal had basically been turned into a FPS character action game, along the lines of DMC or Bayonetta. I do not like character action games and was hoping Eternal would just be another retro FPS. I was extremely disappointed with it.

Hardspace: Shipbreaker, this game seemed tailor-made for my taste, yet I fell completely off of it after 2 days. Thank God for Gamepass.

AndrewRyan

Forza Horizon 5- physics aren't for me
New Order and older Wolfenstein's- hate the way the controls feel
Thief- it's like dishonored they said
Boneworks- don't get it, navigation not my fav
Little Big Planet- amazing concept but fuck the cuteness and the physics too
Tomb Raider- should like, always stop
Original Dues Ex- too outdated
RE4- finished but tank controls left scar

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm struggling through Zelda Breath of the Wild. Can only play the game about an hour at a time. I think part of the issue is I'm a bit stuck. I completed the Zora arc of the story and now i need to go to Death Mountain. I needed chillshrooms to make food so I could withstand the heat there...given that I haven't found any armor that will help me deal with the heat. So I found an icefield, grabbed a bucnh of chill shrooms, now I gotta go someplace to cook it and experiment with different recipes. I mean all this so I can simply go to Death Mountain. That icefield was not close by and there doesn't seems to be a town nearby that provides what I need. Feels like bad design if you ask me, a lot of getting from point A to B in BoTW feels like a time sink.

Really wanna like this game. I've had it for so long and feel like I've barely scratched the surface because it's so tedious. Also hate weapons breaking.

CeeJay

Halo and Gears of War.

They are supposed to be 2 of the three biggest tentpole titles on Xbox and although I have played several titles in each I just cannot see the appeal. I am not a huge shooter fan but have had way more fun with Titanfall, COD, PUBG and the Division over the years than any Gears or Halo game. I find both the gameplay and the lore fairly generic and uninteresting even though some of the games i've enjoyed more are widely considered the epitome of generic and uninteresting.

MyDoppelganger

Neo Member
Metal Gear Solid 5. MGS was my favourite game series, and I was surprised to bounce off the 5th and final instalment. I'm one of the few players that loved the flaming horse dude and all of the other wacky shit. And then the story disappeared. And so did my interest.

TheMan

Stealth games as a genre. Just cant do it.

Souls games. I really liked demons souls when I played that for the first time years and years ago. I was so hyped for dark souls and then I just got tired of dying and having to replay the same sections over and over. I can appreciate souls but I just can’t get into it despite having played every single game in the “soulsbourne” collection including sekiro.

MyDoppelganger

Neo Member
Oh, and Ghost of Tsushima. This Xmas break I started playing video games again for the first time in approximately two years. Ghost looked like it would appeal to me, and a close friend of mine raved about it. I'm a few hours in and I'm absolutely mystified about the accolades this game received. Everything this game has to offer, I have already experienced in many other games I played five years ago. Stale and repetitive. It's a shame, because it looks quite nice.

sainraja

After much annoyance I then felt weapon breaking forces you to explore and use other abilities. I think without it I wouldn’t have bothered searching all over the place for better weapons or finding fun ways to take on enemies. Such as loving metal boxes or boulders at them or exploding them in a fiery death while listening to their screams as there whole base burns.
Stare Dave GIF by Derek Tee
I guess I just play games differently. I will always try different things first or the new thing before picking a favorite style that I want to continue as. I think the Master Sword should been special and shouldn't have adopted the same pattern as breaking with losing it's charge.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I guess I just play games differently. I will always try different things first or the new thing before picking a favorite style that I want to continue as. I think the Master Sword should been special and shouldn't have adopted the same pattern as breaking with losing it's charge.
Yeah I can see that side of things. But also if they did that not r would make all other shabby/hitting weapons pointless.

So I guess they had to nerf it.

sainraja

Yeah I can see that side of things. But also if they did that not r would make all other shabby/hitting weapons pointless.

So I guess they had to nerf it.
Yeah, I understand the reason behind it, I just don't agree with it. Like, if the Master Sword is the same as any other weapon, why should I even go after it or even use it? I dunno.

Variety is good but for the sake of having it, is just silly. I see nothing wrong with someone sticking with the Master Sword because it doesn't break/lose charge but maybe give players another incentive, like an enemy can easily be taken down with a large club? where the sword might require some extra hits.

Last edited:

The Stig

Death Stranding. I respect it and like the sci fi on acid kind of approach but playing it is just not enjoyable to me.
same with me, but for a different reason. Im ashamed to admit this but trying to get around the BTs gives me too much anxiety.

Its so weird. Horror games dont faze me. No game has made me so anxious.

BabyYoda

Banned
Because we bought a batman game, not batmobile of war.
It's not like it was a hidden feature, also, Batman comes with a vehicle and the recent (at the time) extremely popular movies featured a Bat Tank! There was also still a hell of a lot of non-vehicular gameplay. Nope, I don't get peoples dislike of it...Each to their own I guess...

Aenima

Tales of.

As a fan of JRPG, i played 3 diferent "Tales of" games ( Zesteria, Berzeria, Vesperia) and end up having to force myself to finish them cuz im just not enjoying them.

GymWolf

It's not like it was a hidden feature, also, Batman comes with a vehicle and the recent (at the time) extremely popular movies featured a Bat Tank! There was also still a hell of a lot of non-vehicular gameplay. Nope, I don't get peoples dislike of it...Each to their own I guess...
It was just too much of it in the game, if it was completely 100% optional it would have been ok, but you were forced to use it for some things.

I think asylum and city are the best games in the brand and i'm glad that the next game is a suicide squad game, i don't give a fuck about them but the gameplay\traversal looks more varied than the fucking free flow combat of the main series.

GymWolf

same with me, but for a different reason. Im ashamed to admit this but trying to get around the BTs gives me too much anxiety.

Its so weird. Horror games dont faze me. No game has made me so anxious.
Can't you just throw some shit and piss at them?

I thought they were kinda scary the first 1-2 times, then they just become an annoying, shitty way to drag the game very fast.

somesang

I can say I like Chrono Trigger, but the way it was praised gave me the indication that I would like it a lot more.

I was disappointed.
I get it. I don't recommend the game anymore because the mechanics are outdated. That said, 15 year old me was blown away and that keeps the game in my top 10.

Games I really want to like are typically the multiplayer shooters so I can play with more of my friends. They're just so bland and obviously manufactured for retention.
  • Fortnite
  • CoD
  • every sports game
  • Overwatch
Echoing the Breath of the Wild sentiment. Durability of weapons made the game feel like a chore. Still played the shit out of it though.

jm89

Persona 5.

Story and world seem interesting, but the way the dungeons work didn't work for me, made me drop it.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
It was just too much of it in the game, if it was completely 100% optional it would have been ok, but you were forced to use it for some things.

I think asylum and city are the best games in the brand and i'm glad that the next game is a suicide squad game, i don't give a fuck about them but the gameplay\traversal looks more varied than the fucking free flow combat of the main series.
I'm personally very glad they were there and so numerous! I couldn't care less about Suicide Squad, but I still really hope RS do something interesting with it, it certainly looks pretty!

Well, then that is the real reason, don't you think?

Have your tried the newest ones like 0, kiwami remakes or judgement?

I’ve tried Kiwami and Like A Dragon and put a good amount of time into both of them. I really just don’t see the appeal, the combat always feels like its way too frequent and isn’t fun enough for that, and the story segments are liek 15-20 minutes long. People complain about cinematic games, well this shit is legit tv shows that you gotta click through dialogue with and then they’ll tell you to walk 5 feet and hit you with another 6 minute cutscene.

And tonally the story is just too wacky and all over the place.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Anything Platinum Games. The art direction and the amount of crazy are off the charts, but they don’t seem to grasp the concept of learning curve and progression, burying you under a dozen systems in the first hour of play and putting constant skill checks in your way when you still haven’t had time to learn the basics.

GymWolf

I’ve tried Kiwami and Like A Dragon and put a good amount of time into both of them. I really just don’t see the appeal, the combat always feels like its way too frequent and isn’t fun enough for that, and the story segments are liek 15-20 minutes long. People complain about cinematic games, well this shit is legit tv shows that you gotta click through dialogue with and then they’ll tell you to walk 5 feet and hit you with another 6 minute cutscene.

And tonally the story is just too wacky and all over the place.
I get all the complaints dude, and yet the games are better than the sum of their parts.

(For many people at least)

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Souls games, they looks so good, settings and enemies design are some of the best i've seen, tried the games since the PS3 days and just can't enjoy the combat and the fact you die you start from the beginning of the level, no checkpoints etc.
The last one i tried is Demon's Souls Remake, it looks stunning, had about an hour until i dropped it.
Will buy Elden Ring in a few years when it's $10 so it wouldn't hurt too much when i quit.

Top Bottom