• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games would you put on Sega Genesis Collection 2?

The first Sega Genesis Collection for Playstation 2 and PSP is out, and kicks some serious ass. We all know that. How can you beat a collection that contains:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Golden Axe 3
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Columns
Comix Zone
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Kid Chameleon
Ristar
Altered Beast
Alex Kid in the Enchanted Castle
Decap Attack
Shinobi III
Shadow Dancer
Super Thunder Blade
Virtua Fighter 2
Gain Ground
Flicky
Bonanza Brothers
Sword of Vermilion

That's a whole lot of classics right there. 28 to be exact, not including the unlockable arcade titles. Could Sega top that collection?

But there's a whole lot more games in Sega's 16-bit library that could be used in a potential 2nd compilation. Obviously, some games that Sega published they no longer have the rights to like Castle of Illusion, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, and Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

But they have many games they could put on there such as the games Treasure did for them(excluding McDonalds Treasure Land Adventure).

What games would you include? What extras would you have? Unlockables? Special Features?

Let's put together a collection of 28 games that rivals the first collection!

The Streets of Rage games...come on, dammit, Sega!
Chakan: The Forever Man
Rocket Knight Adventures
Strider
Warsong
Castle of Illusion was the first game that came to mind when I saw this thread...too bad that can't happen. =/
Actually, I would love to see a Disney Genesis Collection. For some reason most of the major Disney titles were better on the Genesis than the SNES. Aladdin, for example.

FFVa is going on hiatus next week when I pick this up so I can play through PSIV again. God I love that game.

Defuser said:
STREETS OF RAGE

Hell yes.

I think the reason you never see any of these on any compilation is because including them would bump the age rating from 'Everybody' to an automatic 13-and up.

C'mon Sega, let it happen! And make Streets of Rage 3 the uncensored Japanese version, too.

echoshifting said:
The Streets of Rage games...come on, dammit, Sega!
Rocket Knight Adventures
Strider
Warsong
Castle of Illusion was the first game that came to mind when I saw this thread...too bad that can't happen. =/
Actually, I would love to see a Disney Genesis Collection. For some reason most of the major Disney titles were better on the Genesis than the SNES. Aladdin, for example.

FFVa is going on hiatus next week when I pick this up so I can play through PSIV again. God I love that game.

Chakan! There's an obscure classic. Not sure if Sega would have to pay the creator of the character(Robert A. Kraus) any royalties, though.

Warsong was done by NCS/Treco and Rocket Knight was done by Konami. So we can rule those out. But they'd sure be welcome additions.

Strider was done by Sega, but obviously Capcom owns the license, so its doubtful you'd ever see that on any Sega-made compilations.(Same goes for Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, Chiki Chiki Boys, and Mercs).

There actually WAS a Disney Genesis Collection available for the Saturn. It included Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, and Quackshot. Would probably be difficult to track that down now, though.

SonicMegaDrive said:
There actually WAS a Disney Genesis Collection available for the Saturn. It included Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, and Quackshot. Would probably be difficult to track that down now, though.

Aladdin and Lion King or no sale. :)

Maui Mallard in Cold Shadow

20247693.JPG

i don´t understand why publishers don´t take advice from gamers. they could do a lot of things that would make me become a very poor and ocupied guy.

sega could release a number of small budget titles for xbox live arcade and PSN. continuations of their famous series, the way they should be done. just imagine:

streets of rage 4
sonic 5
after burner 3
alex kidd
eternal champions
nights 2

and maybe, but still arcade downloadables:

virtua cop 3
daytona USA 3
a proper sega rally sequel

don´t you guys think this would sell?

just do it sega, do something good for a change. imagine those games in 1080p, with dozens of levels, online play...

i hope some classic developer is smart enough to realize and will do this...

All right. Being the stickler(read: obsessive addict) for this kind of information that I am, here's all the Sega-published games for the Genesis that I think they still retain the rights to(that did NOT appear in the first collection):

After Burner II
Alien Storm
Art Alive!
Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Columns III
Crystal's Pony Tale
Cyborg Justice
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Dynamite Duke
Dynamite Headdy
ESWAT: City Under Seige
Eternal Champions
Fatal Labyrinth
Galaxy Force II
G-Loc: Air Battle
Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude
Gunstar Heroes
Jewel Master
Landstalker
Light Crusader
The Ooze
Out Run
Out Run 2019
Ranger X

The Revenge of Shinobi(though, Spider-Man appears in the game. That might be a problem)
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic 3D Blast
Sonic Spinball
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Super Monaco GP
Toejam and Earl
Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkatron
Virtua Racing
Wacky Worlds
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
X-Perts
Zoom!

Any of the games above could appear in a potential Sega Genesis Collection 2.

Collection 1 included Golden Axe III, and it was never released in North America. Wrestle War also appeared on the Sega Smash Pack for Dreamcast(yet it was only released in Europe and Japan). So import games are not out of the question. I personally wouldn't mind seeing them throw the other two Wonder Boy games on there: Wonder Boy 3: Monster Lair and Monster World IV. Alien Soldier, too. :)

These games were all published by Sega, but they can't use them since they belong to or are associated with other companies:

Thunder Force 2, Thunder Force 3, Lightening Force, and Herzog Zwei all belong to Technosoft/Twenty-one Company
California Games belongs to Epyx/System 3
World Heroes and Art of Fighting all belong to SNK Playmore
Chiki Chiki Boys, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Strider, Forgotten Worlds, and Mercs all belong to Capcom
Shadowrun belongs to WizKids/Fantasy Productions
Abrams Battle Tank and 688 Sub Attack both belong to EA
Alisia Dragoon belongs to Gainax/Game Arts
Last Battle was a hacked version of a japanese Fist of the North Star(anime) game
Mystic Defender was a hacked version of a japanese Peacock King(anime) game.
Mega Bomberman obviously belongs to Hudson Soft
Midnight Resistance belongs to DataEast/G-Mode
Cyberball belongs to Atari
Twin Cobra and Truxton were both Toaplan shooters, and I have no idea who owns the rights to them since they went bankrupt.
Toki: Going Ape Spit belongs to Tad Corportation/Taito
Math Blaster: Episode 1 belongs to Western Technologies/Davidson & Associates. I doubt Sega would re-release this anyway(or Art Alive! for that matter)

Aaaaaand, these games were all developed by Sega, but were based off of popular licsenses or properties:

Comics:

Dinosaurs Fore Hire
Ex-Mutants
Spider-Man(vs the Kingpin)
X-Men
X-Men 2: The Clone Wars

Movies:

Ariel: The Little Mermaid
Batman Returns
Dick Tracy
Disney's Aladdin
Fantasia
Ghostbusters
Home Alone
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park: Rampage Edition
The Lost World: Jurassic Park 2
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Rambo III

Cartoons/TV:

The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Asterix & The Great Rescue
Barney's Hide and Seek
The Berenstain Bears Camping Adventure
Bonkers
Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble
The Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse
Desert Demolition featuring the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote
Garfield: Caught in the Act
Quackshot starring Donald Duck
Marsupilami
McDonalds Treasure Land Adventure
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
Ren & Stimpy
Richard Scarry's BusyTown
Scholastic's The Magic School Bus
Star Trek: The Next Generation
TaleSpin
Taz-Mania
Taz: Escape From Mars
Toxic Crusaders
The World of Illusion starring Mickey and Donald
VR Troopers
Young Indiana Jones

Misc Liscenses:

Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker
Arnold Palmer Golf
ATP Tour Championship Tennis
College Football National Champion ship series
David Robinson's Supreme Court
Evander Holyfields's 'Real Deal' Boxing
Greatest Heavyweights
James "Buster" Douglas Boxing
Joe Montana Football series
Mario Lemieux Hockey
NBA Action series
NFL series
Pat Riley Basketball
Prime Time NFL starring Deion Sanders
Sports Talk Baseball
Sports Talk Football
Tommy LaSorda Baseball
Wimbledon Championship Tennis
World Championship Soccer
World Series Baseball series

I doubt Sega would be able to re-release any of their sports titles that use real players' names and likenesses. Nor would they really want to. Nobody wants old sports games. ;)

Pristine_Condition said:
Does it have to be all Sega games, or anything on Genesis? I dream of playing Centurion: Defender of Rome on the PSP.

Actually...EA is releasing thier own retro collections on PSP. So...seeing Centurion: Defender of Rome on a PSP compilation is very much in the realm of possibility.

Okay, off your list of eligible titles, I'd get rid of all the games that appeared in the Sonic collections (except the Ooze since it was unlock only). That would kill a lot of the good stuff - I don't think there are 30 more worthwhile, eligible titles - but it's still enough for a second release. Especially if they go beyond the Genesis library and give us a few gems from Sega CD, some more Arcade stuff, or even Game Gear stuff like they did with the second Sonic collection.

Here are my picks from that list:

Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Dynamite Headdy
Eternal Champions
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Light Crusader
The Ooze
Out Run
Out Run 2019
Ranger X
The Revenge of Shinobi
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Toejam and Earl

Obviously there are better games from the rest of the list, but like you said they probably couldn't appear in a Sega Collection. Oh well.

jarrod

Banned
SEGA desperately needs to do a Model 2 game collection... the already have a decent emu up and running for GC/PS2. Or at least do VC/PSN releases of the big stuff (VF2, Sega Rally, HotD, Sonic Fighters, STTC, Last Bronx, Virtua Cop 1-2, Sky Target, etc, etc).

echoshifting said:
Okay, off your list of eligible titles, I'd get rid of all the games that appeared in the Sonic collections (except the Ooze since it was unlock only). That would kill a lot of the good stuff - I don't think there are 30 more worthwhile, eligible titles - but it's still enough for a second release. Especially if they go beyond the Genesis library and give us a few gems from Sega CD, some more Arcade stuff, or even Game Gear stuff like they did with the second Sonic collection.

Here are my picks from that list:

Beyond Oasis
Bio-Hazard Battle
Dynamite Headdy
Eternal Champions
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Light Crusader
The Ooze
Out Run
Out Run 2019
Ranger X
The Revenge of Shinobi
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Toejam and Earl

Obviously there are better games from the rest of the list, but like you said they probably couldn't appear in a Sega Collection. Oh well.

Yeah. A Genesis collection without Moonwalker, Aladdin, Castle of Illusion, and Ghouls 'n Ghosts just feels...off.

Here's what I think I would do for a collection.

Yu Suzuki Arcade ports:
After Burner 2(After Burner arcade unlockable)
Super Hang-On(Hang-On and Super Hang-On arcade unlockables)
Space Harrier 2(Space Harrier arcade unlockable)
Super Monaco GP(Super Monaco GP arcade unlockable)
G-Loc: Air Battle(G-Loc arcade unlockable)
Out Run(Out Run Arcade Unlockable)
Virtua Racing(Virtua Racing arcade unlockable...if they can even emulate it properly)

Beat-em-ups:
Alien Storm(a good beat-em-up styled game)
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
(uncensored version)

RPG:
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Beyond Oasis
Landstalker

Action/Platformer:
Ranger X
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
(I'd include the other 2 Sonics since the last collection had the first 2. It makes the whole thing more complete, I think)
Sonic & Knuckles(With Sonic 3 and Knuckles as an optional choice)
Revenge of Shinobi
Toejam and Earl
Wonder Boy in Monster World

Treasure Classics:
Gunstar Heroes
Dynamite Headdy
Alien Soldier
(first time released in the US)
Light Crusader

Fighting:
Eternal Champions

Puzzle:
Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine or Zoom!...leaning towards Dr. Robotnik, even though it was already featured on the Mega Collection. Columns III is also an option, but the first collection already had Columns.

Shooter:
Bio-Hazard Battle

That boosts it up to 30 games(not including unlockables). A nicer, rounder number.

I think that would make for a nice collection, probably better than the first even. A very good variety of titles, though a bit heavy on the RPG side.

I left out The Ooze because....well....it stinks. Same for Cyborg Justice.

Not a particuarly big fan of X-Perts either.

I left out Sonic 3D Blast and Sonic Spinball because...including them would render the Mega Collection all but completely useless.

Including Wacky Worlds, Art Alive! or Crystal's Pony Tale would be pointless.

Any supporters for Greendog, ESWAT, Dynamite Duke, Outrun 2019/Junker's High, Zoom!, Fatal Labyrinth, or Jewel Master?

jarrod

Banned
How about throwing in a few 32X games? Virtua Racing DLX, Virtua Fighter, Shadow Squadron, Chaotix, Tempo, Kolibri...

jarrod said:
How about throwing in a few 32X games? Virtua Racing DLX, Virtua Fighter, Shadow Squadron, Chaotix, Tempo, Kolibri...

I'd love that!

Especially Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing. *drool*

Though...getting them to properly emulate might be an issue.

I did not like Alien Storm. Although I still remember the terrible sound effect the little alien blob things made when they died. =/

Actually the multiplayer in that game was pretty good.

Mutant League Football

Hell yes.

All I remember about that game is bribing the ref only to have the other player MURDER HIM. Good times.

echoshifting said:
All I remember about that game is bribing the ref only to have the other player MURDER HIM. Good times.
wasn't it an audible? i liked the fact that at any given time, killing the ref was only 2 button preses away.

echoshifting said:
I did not like Alien Storm. Although I still remember the terrible sound effect the little alien blob things made when they died. =/

Actually the multiplayer in that game was pretty good.

Hell yes.

Yeah, I like playing it with another person. It's not the best game in the world, but its obscure and enjoyable.

If we take out Alien Storm, maybe replace it with Junkers High or Greendog? I'm a fan of Zoom! myself. Something obscure, something obscure...

Javaman

Buck Rogers-Countdown to Doomsday. SSI Goldbox type game with hit percentages displayed and includes tactical ship to ship battles.

jarrod

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
I'd love that!

Especially Virtua Fighter and Virtua Racing. *drool*

Though...getting them to properly emulate might be an issue.
They're on Gametap, it shouldn't be that hard really. 32X is basically just a Genesis with dual SH2s for 3D/scaling and more memory anyway.

Actually 32X had a quite a few decent SEGA arcade ports (VR, VF, After Burner, Space Harrier, Motocross & Star Wars). Plus it's technically part of the "Genesis" family. :D

jarrod said:
They're on Gametap, it shouldn't be that hard really. 32X is basically just a Genesis with dual SH2s for 3D/scaling and more memory anyway.

Actually 32X had a quite a few decent SEGA arcade ports (VR, VF, After Burner, Space Harrier, Motocross & Star Wars). Plus it's technically part of the "Genesis" family. :D

Make it so, then.

I almost forgot about Space Harrier and After Burner.

Man...the 32X had so much potential. They did put out some awesome titles in a very short time.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
SonicMegaDrive said:
Mystic Defender was a hacked version of a japanese Peacock King(anime) game.

Really? I didn't know that. That was one of the first games I got for the Genny. I liked it then, but I'd probably not be able to stomach it now - it didn't compare well to Revenge of Shinobi and Streets of Rage.

mr jones said:
Really? I didn't know that. That was one of the first games I got for the Genny. I liked it then, but I'd probably not be able to stomach it now - it didn't compare well to Revenge of Shinobi and Streets of Rage.

Heh, yeah. I love the game myself, though its mostly Sega nostalgia.

Compared to Revenge of Shinobi and SOR...it's pretty bad.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
SonicMegaDrive said:
The first Sega Genesis Collection for Playstation 2 and PSP is out, and kicks some serious ass. We all know that. How can you beat a collection that contains:

Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Golden Axe
Golden Axe 2
Golden Axe 3
Ecco the Dolphin
Ecco: The Tides of Time
Ecco Jr.
Columns
Comix Zone
Phantasy Star II
Phantasy Star III
Phantasy Star IV
Vectorman
Vectorman 2
Kid Chameleon
Ristar
Altered Beast
Alex Kid in the Enchanted Castle
Decap Attack
Shinobi III
Shadow Dancer
Super Thunder Blade
Virtua Fighter 2
Gain Ground
Flicky
Bonanza Brothers
Sword of Vermilion

That's a whole lot of classics right there. 28 to be exact, not including the unlockable arcade titles. Could Sega top that collection?

Y'know, having gone through that list again, I realize that IS a pretty decent roster of games. There's alot of throw aways: I'll never play through Decap Attack or Virtua Fighter 2. Sword of Vermilion, while one of my friends will swear by it, wasn't THAT good to me, and Altered Beast is laughable now (I thought it was SWEET then. 2 Players! I'm a were-tiger, baby! YEAH!).

But man. Phantasy Star 2 though 4 are long games. 3 is to the point of being tedious. Shinobi 3 is THE SHIT. I've never played Ristar, even though I bought the game for my sister when I gave her my Genesis (she's a Sonic/Mario freak...). I've been told that there's an ending to Kid Chameleon, but I don't believe it. I remember sitting down, and literally playing that game for over 2 hours, and not getting to the end.

I haven't played Gain Ground or Flicky, either.

That would be alot of games to play. More games to add to the now ludicrous pile of games that I have to play through.

But it's twenty dollars.

But alot of those games I already have.

...and it's twenty dollars.

I'll probably not even play half the games in that collection.

...and the rest are quite worth twenty dollars.

Damn.

I don't see why there would be an issue with the 'hacked' games...weren't they 'hacked' in the first place to avoid that very-same problem? Like, if Sega were to replace Mickey Mouse with Ricky Guinea Pig and change all the Disney references, I don't think there would be a problem there unless it was a situation like Kingdom Hearts where it was joint-owned.

I really don't know about this, if someone does, it would be interesting to know. That said, here's what I would say should be on it.

After Burner II
Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Columns III
Dynamite Headdy
Eternal Champions
Fatal Labyrinth
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Out Run
Ranger X
The Revenge of Shinobi (hack the Spider-Man sprite just like they did with the Batman and Godzilla ones back in the day)
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Super Monaco GP
Toejam and Earl
Virtua Racing

Unlockables: Shinobi (arcade), SegaSONIC (arcade), Golden Axe (arcade)

As an aside, it's kind of sad that if you take away licensed titles, Sega's whole Genesis output can be collected in two volumes. They need to kiss and make up with Disney, Marvel, and Michael Jackson.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't see why there would be an issue with the 'hacked' games...weren't they 'hacked' in the first place to avoid that very-same problem? Like, if Sega were to replace Mickey Mouse with Ricky Guinea Pig and change all the Disney references, I don't think there would be a problem there unless it was a situation like Kingdom Hearts where it was joint-owned.

I really don't know about this, if someone does, it would be interesting to know. That said, here's what I would say should be on it.

After Burner II
Alien Storm
Beyond Oasis
Columns III
Dynamite Headdy
Eternal Champions
Fatal Labyrinth
Gunstar Heroes
Landstalker
Out Run
Ranger X
The Revenge of Shinobi (hack the Spider-Man sprite just like they did with the Batman and Godzilla ones back in the day)
Shining Force
Shining Force 2
Shining in the Darkness
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Space Harrier II
Streets of Rage
Streets of Rage 2
Streets of Rage 3
Super Hang-On
Super Monaco GP
Toejam and Earl
Virtua Racing

Unlockables: Shinobi (arcade), SegaSONIC (arcade), Golden Axe (arcade)

As an aside, it's kind of sad that if you take away licensed titles, Sega's whole Genesis output can be collected in two volumes. They need to kiss and make up with Disney, Marvel, and Michael Jackson.

Hmm...seeing as Sega still owns the code for those two games(Mystic Defender and Last Battle), but not the characters....I guess you're right.

I mean, if Sega really, really wanted to release Castle of Illusion, they theoretically could just hack Mickey Mouse into a different character, and remove all the Disney elements. But of course, who would want that?

So to answer your question...yeah, they could legally release Mystic Defender and Last Battle on a disc. I'm not sure I'd want them above any of the other games mentioned, though.

Byyyy the way...

Revenge of Shinobi WAS released on the Sega Smash Pack not long ago. How'd they get away with that? Did they hack Spidey out? Or did they...you know...make a boo-boo?

jarrod

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
Man...the 32X had so much potential. They did put out some awesome titles in a very short time.
Yeah, it's really a shame how things went down. I wish DarkStalkers and Dracula X had made it out. :(

I think SEGA could've kept 32X chugging along with just good arcade translations of wanted titles even (Golden Axe 2, Sonic Arcade, Rad Moibile, Spider-Man, Outrun, Super Hang-On, Wing War, G-Loc, Galaxy Force 1-2, Power Drift, etc).

mr jones said:
Y'know, having gone through that list again, I realize that IS a pretty decent roster of games. There's alot of throw aways: I'll never play through Decap Attack or Virtua Fighter 2. Sword of Vermilion, while one of my friends will swear by it, wasn't THAT good to me, and Altered Beast is laughable now (I thought it was SWEET then. 2 Players! I'm a were-tiger, baby! YEAH!).

But man. Phantasy Star 2 though 4 are long games. 3 is to the point of being tedious. Shinobi 3 is THE SHIT. I've never played Ristar, even though I bought the game for my sister when I gave her my Genesis (she's a Sonic/Mario freak...). I've been told that there's an ending to Kid Chameleon, but I don't believe it. I remember sitting down, and literally playing that game for over 2 hours, and not getting to the end.

I haven't played Gain Ground or Flicky, either.

That would be alot of games to play. More games to add to the now ludicrous pile of games that I have to play through.

But it's twenty dollars.

But alot of those games I already have.

...and it's twenty dollars.

I'll probably not even play half the games in that collection.

...and the rest are quite worth twenty dollars.

Damn.

I admit, Altered Beast is useless. Though, it DOES have the original Arcade as an unlockable. So that's a plus...and I guess it makes it worth it.

DecapAttack is an all right platformer. Not great by any means. Including it alongside Sonic and Ristar makes it look pretty bad.

Sword of Vermilion is a love it or hate it kinda game.

Virtua Fighter 2...that was a questionable choice by Sega to include that. I guess they just threw it on there because peple recognize the Virtua Fighter name.

jarrod said:
Yeah, it's really a shame how things went down. I wish DarkStalkers and Dracula X had made it out. :(

I think SEGA could've kept 32X chugging along with just good arcade translations of wanted titles even (Golden Axe 2, Sonic Arcade, Rad Moibile, Spider-Man, Outrun, Super Hang-On, Wing War, G-Loc, Galaxy Force 1-2, Power Drift, etc).

Buh?

I...didn't know about those.

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/segabase/32X-Darkstalkers.html

http://www.eidolons-inn.net/segabase/32X-Castlevania5.html

I feel sad now.

bjork

I just finally got around to checking out PSP Genesis Collection yesterday... I had no idea that some of the unlockable games were different. Congo Bongo ftw

jarrod

Banned
Also, Climax owns LandStalker outright (not sure how they managed that when Treasure, Ancient, Camelot, WestOne, Compile and others lost their created IPs to SEGA). SEGA's evidently publishing the PSP remake in Japan though, so maybe they'd come to an agreement for inclusion?

jarrod said:
Also, Climax owns LandStalker outright (not sure how they managed that when Treasure, Ancient, Camelot, WestOne, Compile and others lost their created IPs to SEGA). SEGA's evidently publishing the PSP remake in Japan though, so maybe they'd come to an agreement for inclusion?

Hay, you're right...

I think they even released a spin-off for the SNES a while back.

In that case, I doubt it would be included in any sort of compilation. Especially with the remake on the way for PSP.

I'm curious how Climax were allowed to retain the rights to that one IP though, as Sega got to keep 'Shining'.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Oh, and I thought about this...

Technically, Nintendo could also release their entire SNES output and put it on one or two similar collections as well.

They won't of course! But...try to imagine it.

jarrod

Banned
SonicMegaDrive said:
They're actually wrong about Dracula 32X, it wasn't going to be a port/conversion of the PCE/SFC game but rather a full sequel. After it was killed, the staff went on to create SoTN for PS/SS, which probably reused a lot of the concept and early design work from the 32X project.

Really a shame about DarkStalkers though, 32X could've used it and it may have led to more CPS2 ports. :(

SonicMegaDrive said:
Hay, you're right...

I think they even released a spin-off for the SNES a while back.
Lady Stalker... it was kinda assy. I think Taito published it.

SonicMegaDrive said:
I'm curious how Climax were allowed to retain the rights to that one IP though, as Sega got to keep 'Shining'.
Climax was just subcontracted for the early Shining games, as the Takahashi brothers didn't really have a staff for themselves. Once they officially formed SONIC/Camelot Software Planning, Climax didn't work on anymore Shining games (this was just before Shining Force II started R&D iirc).

I'm more interested in who owns rights to TimeStalkers, as it has both SEGA and Cliamx IPs featured prominently.

Top Bottom