• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What genre you cannot stand and why?

Modern JRPGs with 3D graphics and no random encounters: for whatever reason I prefer the looks of them before the artists could fully express their vision.

Labolas

People saying fighting games smdh.
tumblr_n2dnj5gN901qzdga6o1_400.gif

But on topic though probably not that I can't stand it but RTS. It never clicked for me.

BlackTron

JRPG was good in the past because the sprite based graphics masked the fact that they were trying to emulate weeb anime stuff. You had the luxury of interpreting the characters yourself more because they were all just little sprites with text dialog. Now that games can be fully voice acted and you can have what looks like an interactive anime it's more in your face and I can't get myself past how ridiculous it all is. I say this even as someone who watched a lot of anime in the past. These days the JRPGs just lay it on way too thick for me. Between the presentation of the story and characters, and the knowledge that you'll be spending big hours on the game, it just gives me a sinking feeling of being embarrassed for myself. I haven't been able to really appreciate one since Grandia II on Dreamcast. Tech got good enough to realize their vision, and it's a scary vision.

I never liked sports games with very few exceptions, and I always saw them as worthless non-games taking up space, they had a reputation in my head to be ignored immediately because I'd find SO MANY of them out in the wild or at tag sales for nothing, so many Genesis carts lol.

Gacha games, I would have forgotten to list it if nobody mentioned it here. I've never even played one. It's like walking down a mall and passing a bunch of nail salons and teen clothing stores. They're just invisible to me, there isn't even a decision making process lol. These games are a total joke.

Racing games, tend not to hold my attention. There are big exceptions to this, mostly Mario Kart and Snowboard Kids, but even then, racers will always be B-tier additions to my collection, for couch multiplayer diversions only.

There are some interesting takes in this thread, I notice some hate for FPS and 2D platform games. These are my two favorite genres lol.

Top Bottom