• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What genre you cannot stand and why?

Edgelord79

Gold Member
"Facebook" time-waster games. Hate them.

Then it's hidden object games.

Card games. Can't get into them, can't even watch a bit of someone playing.

Tower Defence or reverse tower defence.

Really *really* low res games. The modern kind with stick figures and don'tKnowWhatI'mLookingAt screens.

Most online multiplayer games. I can get into the occasional local co-op or VS.

Games that use regularly and excessively screen flashes, or "glitches" and noise artifacts as a visual effect. It was the worst part of Max Payne 3 for me, and ever since I can't stand it.

I'm also kind of done with the super depressing stories in walking simulators or other (mostly indie studio) games.
Geezus after looking at this list, I realize I hate these types of games as well.

TLZ

Banned
So many sports-hating nerds in here :messenger_grinning_sweat:

and racing games are usually boring unless I can throw items at other drivers
Maybe they should do that IRL.

Anyway, I dislike Visual Novels. I'm not sure how these are classified as games. All we do is read with still pictures. No jumping, no running, no moving, nothing. Just text and images. Just pick up a book then.

Also Battle Royale. Online multiplayer players shooters in general. Too mindless people killing - respawning - killing respawning over and over.

GAMETA

Banned
3D Fighting games like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur and so on...

Games like Street Fighter, KoF, KI, MvC, etc are awesome.

bbeach123

I dont watch football or playing it irl but I played football game sometime . The feeling of building my perfect team and lead them to victory is great . The actual gameplay is meh .

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I don't think I completely hate any genre.

But I don't enjoy most fighting games, sport games, or tactic style games (moving units on squares).

Yoboman

Played God of War for about 7 minutes last night.

I literally can not understand how linear, single player games are a thing. Walk forward into a combat room, 1-6 mindless enemies spawn, defeat them, walk forward into next combat room...

Occasionally watch cutscene that makes those shitty Avengers movies look like Casablanca.
God of War 2018 isn't linear, unless you're talking about 2005?

lachesis

Not sure if I hate anything - but I do suck at a lot of competitive games. Overly convoluted menu systems and learning curve sometimes puts me off.
One of the main genre that's big but I can't really get into are open world sand box games like GTA and Elder Scroll type of games. I do want to like them, but I don't have time and will to really invest in them for some reason. Some open world action types, I like them better - such as Spider Man, Batman Arkam series and BOTW etc - perhaps their systems are not as complicated as RPGs.

Iced Arcade

- Turn base (fuck I hate turn base)
- button mashing slasher
- JRPGs

I respect cultureral differences but myself, I can't get into most Japanese culture. Most of the time I don't know if a character is a male or female.

I don’t necessarily hate any genres, but sports games bore me to tears. I like wrestling games, but does that count?

I don’t particularly care for Battle Royale games. They just seem overrated and not much fun to me.

Pretty much anything multiplayer or online only. For example, those online only shooters with no campaign or single player modes don’t really do anything for me. GAAS-type games as well.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I've just discovered that there are some genres in gaming that one simply cannot get into despite trying really hard and not matter how bad it's recommended to you.
Are you 12?

R6Rider

Gold Member
I somehow completely forgot about hack n slash looters like Diablo. Those are probably the most braindead and boring games ever.

supernova8

Banned
Turn-based JRPG, games that are like WoW and some games called MOBA or some shit. Would rather play cards or chess.

I found that practically all the games that tried to be WoW are just shit..... especially the F2P ones (with the exception of Allods Online... I strangely enjoyed it). The only F2P MMO I enjoyed before that was RF Online (the one with the robots that kinda look like the spirits/aliens from that old Final Fantasy movie).

Sentenza

JRPG.
And definitely NOT for the lack of trying.
Even when they aren't exceedingly tropey (which is rare to begin with, and fuck your creepy loli pandering, by the way) and there's something interesting about them and their characters (again, RARE) they almost inevitably seem to fall in the same gameplay sandpits:

- obscenely repetitive, grind-friendly mechanics.
- incessant number inflation. A progression curve that goes from "16 HP and 9 dmg on average" to "9999HP and throwing land-destroying comets as breather between serious attacks" is bullshit in principle
- dull itemization (zero inventive about properties, just random numeric inflation and exceedingly dull OR convoluted mechanics to get the good stuff).
- Still rarely any consistent voice acting in fucking 2020 even when they are millionaire franchises and there isn't that much dialogue to begin with. Seriously?

Also, RTS.
I don't even hate them. I just suck immensely at playing them.

And I don't hate fighting games, but they rarely seem to grab my attention for more than few hours, no matter how well made they could be.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Much respect to those who like these games, but I have a lot of trouble enjoying side-scrollers, and online gaming isn't really for me.

Re: Side Scrollers, I just think it's too outdated for me to really like. I've played some of the so called good ones - Velocity 2x or whatever for Vita, Steamworld Dig 2, Child of Light, Rayman Legends/Origins, and many others on different platforms - each of them has just straight up failed to capture my imagination. I know a lot of people love them, but yeah.

As for online gaming, it's just a symptom of my internet connections as I grew up, I just have habits that skew towards SP. WoW was an exception, but it's the only one.

I used to like first person shooters but now they bore the tits off of me, they feel like point and click games but without the puzzles. That doesn't mean I'm against games with first person and/or shooting in them, I love an immersive sim as much as anyone, it's just that games that revolve entirely around those 2 things are a no go for me. And sports games, that goes without saying.

Bridges

I'm gonna repeat what a bunch of other people have already said but...

MOBAs - Any type of game that requires dozens or hundreds of hours of practice before you can have any fun/be remotely competitive just isn't a good use of time to me, plus they generally do not control in a way that I can enjoy. Only MOBA I ever liked was Awesomenauts

Simulation Sports - Just very boring to me regardless of my opinion of the sport itself. Arcadey sports games like NBA Jam are awesome but I can never get into NBA2K. I do spend a lot of time in the character creators though, I wish they could be transplanted into another genre

Visual Novels - If the game has less interactivity than a Telltale game then that's a hard no

Pretty much anything else I'll at least give a shot.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Modern cinematic games with a "great story" and lot of cutscenes.

These for me... I see games like RDR2, Assasins Creed and Watch Dogs and immdiately get bored (by simply looking at them).

I've liked some of those "3rd person -over the shoulders camera- slowpoke as fuck realistic story driven" games, but 90% I just got bored or got uninterested quickly and they just do nothing for me, zero hype, zero interest, I just don't care anymore to try.

This is mostly current western AAA games since 7th gen, I've liked games like The Evil Within and new Tomb Riders but maybe because they didn't try to go way way too realistic in their intent and let the player play the fucking thing more often than not.

ZywyPL

Banned
The genre doesn't really matter for me as long as the execution is there, a bad game is a bad game regardless, and vice versa.

Tschumi

I must not have gotten far enough in.

I'm currently watching...

It still looks mostly linear. Does it use a hub world with branches?

What's that dude's deal? He plays games with his funky voice?

Actually I've not played that game so thanks for the knowledge~

Doczu

"realistic" sport games. Soccer, football - basically EA Sports titles.
Why play ball on a screen when you canc do it outside? At least play some arcade game 🤷🏻‍♂️

AllyITA

stealth games: the idea is great.. but i get extremely bored of waiting for that guy to turn to the other way so i can get on with it.
sport games (soccer, basket...): i'm just bad at them so i don't play. and i0m very little interest in team sports.
street brawlers (double dragon, battletoads, doesn't matter if 2D or 3D): never cared too much.. (had a lot of fun with custle crashers tho)
rogue like with procedural generated levels: i like exploring stuff, but if the level is changing every playthrough and is mostly made of same looking rooms rearranged, what's the point in it.

Karmic Raze

Soulsborne or whatever the fuck you wanna call them. I like challenges, sure, but not headaches. Plus it just makes people want to throw that “git gud” shit in your face as if they are superior gamers to you just because they like those types of games. Give me a fucking break.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
Stealth games, and especially non stealth games that insert stealth levels into them...looking at you Zelda BOTW.

RTS, They just becomes a blur of 'click & hope for the best' strategy after about 30 seconds of starting a level.

Souls type games, Fuck Off, life's too short to spend hours learning attack patterns and using ridiculous button combos to pull of moves that only a 4 handed, 20 fingered savant with the memory of 'Mr Memory' can remember.

Cato

Banned
Tomb Raider.

Or any game that contains: lots of underwater swimming.
Bonus points if it has:
* underwater puzzles
* you run out of oxygen if you don't take the exact right and quickest path.
* it is dark
* rng events where undodgable sharks attack and one shot you

Last edited:
Sport games: Watching almost any sports is one of the most boring things humans do, and Fifa/nhl/any team games etc is almost as boring. Like why the obsession of some strangers playing kids games too seriously? if someone plays themselves, I can kind of relate but otherwise it is like "look because Einstein is a man and I am a man, I'm genius too!" as in why would it matter if the team is from same country/city etc, if they are strangers, and it doesnt turn fatso watching it on sofa an athlete.

Only exception to me are WWE games, if someone sees them as sports, and some games like SSX in small doses but they get boring fast too.

Fighting games: I used to play tekken 2 a lot, but now fighting games are just really really boring. You win, or you lose, do it few times and you have experienced the whole game. WWE is exception but it is not traditional beat em up, making weird characters is my biggest fun factor.

Gears of war-kind-of-games: Games like gears, utterly boring cover shooting level after level, I just dont find the appeal and every time people use gears as an example of great game, I cry inside. Most fps shooting games like cod etc go into the same category

Racing games: They could be fun to play with a wheel setup, but usually I dont play them as much I think I should if I buy em.

Mario platformers: I liked mario 1-3 a lot as a kid, but after yoshis island I just dont see the magic anymore. Mario odyssey were the most depressing, boring and life-leeching game I have honestly played in last 20 years. Pure 0/5 at fun scale. Same goes to most platformers, especially 3D ones.

Diablo kind of games: It gets boring really fast, only thing you do is kill bastards and loot shit in the hope of getting a little shinier shit.

what I like are RPG games, horror games, some coop shooters with interesting atmosphere as exception(division 1+2 mainly and destiny had their moments) and hunting games have been fun. And "Sony cinematic games" + dark souls kind of games. Games that have deep story and interesting worlds + more to do than just to kill stuff.

This is why xbox+nindendo dont appeal to me much, their big hitters are just hitting my list of genres I dont like :messenger_fearful: So logically people whom have opposite taste as me hate Sony games and I completely understand it

Stealth games, and especially non stealth games that insert stealth levels into them...looking at you Zelda BOTW.

RTS, They just becomes a blur of 'click & hope for the best' strategy after about 30 seconds of starting a level.

Souls type games, Fuck Off, life's too short to spend hours learning attack patterns and using ridiculous button combos to pull of moves that only a 4 handed, 20 fingered savant with the memory of 'Mr Memory' can remember.

Souls games arent really that hard or need to memorise more than pressing one or two buttons in the right moment, they are more like "rock band" reaction games. Do they even have complicated multi finger moves? Like more than the normal 2-3 buttons kind?

I have completed dark souls 1-3 with pure sorcerer builds only, havent used melee almost at all. But they are not difficult games, they are easy games after player stops running and smashing buttons like madman, and just sees the pattern of attacks of enemies and uses that, and those patterns are really simple for most of the enemies.

Just pointing out that if people can finish them with donkey kong drum controllers, they arent that hard, just reaction/being careful games.

Last edited:
Games that think their writing is anything other than D tier movie level and so can have shit gameplay. looking at you telltale, don't nod, and quantic. I'll also put walking sims here.

Kart racers. Where's the satisfaction in winning because the game decided to give you an extra boost or a blue shell?

Raonak

Banned
I can get into any genre, but there's some that don't hold my attention;

scorechase arcade shmups. I think the increased difficulty and the fact the numbers imply progression makes constantly restarting them a chore.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Sports games. Utter tosh. Not to mention they've just become a gamblers paradise. What a load of shit run by a total bunch of wankers. They should be locked up, fucking parasites.

THIS

XdOwrSJ.jpg

And this..

fcG26kw.png

Is the only true sports game. It still has the ability to seperate men from whimsical babies. You have no idea how this combo can make you a total barbarian

Especially after the pub with your mates. Blood bath.

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

Tactical rpgs. AIn't nobody got time to move around 1 square at a time.
Dam right, that's why I steer clear of the Final Fantasy's etc, or games of a simlar level of turn based system.....real-time strategy games however....a LOT better..

GymWolf

Stuff like the sims or animal crossing
puzzle game
strategy games like rome total war
sim city type of games
mmorpg
driving games
party games
fps arena
war games in general (so even cod)
most sport games except ufc fighting games
stuff like amnesia or the one with the crazy people with their dicks out

hate is a strong word, i just don't like playing these genres or i'm too shitty with them.

I also don't play anymore platform and i very rarely play fighting games like tekken or sf even if i loved both genres when i was young.

Fighting games, racing games (except for kart racers), any and every sports game, MMO (regardless of genre), any multiplayer game, rouge-like games (or any game with randomly generated maps), RTS, most FPS war games (like Battlefield, COD etc). I'm not a fan of bullet hell-shooters either since I suck at them.

I also find survival games really boring, and I have no interest in crafting games like .. Minecraft I guess, and similar.

I have no interest in sports and racing overall outside of gaming either, and I don't like competition. It's boring and stressful, and I want to enjoy a nice single-player experience where I can take my time and explore, or just challenge myself, by myself :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom