• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to the PS5 controller screen??

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Pic3.jpg

6pMTU6xyfPzuBVSJQxYGy-650-80.jpg

I remember seeing that the ps5 controller dev kit had a screen. Is the screen still going to be present once the controller is released?
if not was it too expensive? Maybe useless?
Why Sony why....?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Pic3.jpg

I remember seeing that the ps5 controller dev kit had a screen. Is the screen still going to be present once the controller is released?
Why Sony why....?
That chonker does not seems bad, but it would probably gather a lot of shit from your hands.

LordOfChaos

Patents and prototypes try a lot of things, it was never promised. And like many of us would have guessed, it would just be a cost and battery eater with limited function.

mortal

A screen that tiny would be rather useless, not mention being a huge drain on battery life.

I still have my hang-ups with the touchpad and how little developers make intuitive use of it, beyond just being a giant button.

sullydabricks

Neo Member
A screen that tiny would be rather useless, not mention being a huge drain on battery life.

I still have my hang-ups with the touchpad and how little developers make intuitive use of it, beyond just being a giant button.
I never understood why people had an issue with the touchpad it’s not in the way of anything some games use it some games don’t but it’s an extra button

Fbh

One day someone walked into the office and was like "What if.....and this is just an idea....but what if we make it so it doesn't have a screen that increases the price while simultaneously killing the battery life and making the biggest issue of our current controller even worse?"

Last edited:

mortal

I never understood why people had an issue with the touchpad it’s not in the way of anything some games use it some games don’t but it’s an extra button
Playing some fighting games and accidentally hitting the touchpad in the middle of a combo would make you heated, believe me lol

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
This is how SONY operates they literally test the waters in the middle of all their controllers, the buttons (triangle, square, x, circle, dpad etc.) are all great, I think in 2-3 years SONY will figure out what to do with the middle of their controllers, they could just include an actual screen, whatever the price of that will be.

yurinka

Pic3.jpg

Why Sony why....?
The two images in the top seem to be fake. And yes, considering that the console itself and current DualSense already must be too expensive, to include a touchscreen would make it too expensive. And probably that screen would consume too much battery.

schaft0620

Sony has 10000000 of patents all the time and board writers write about them. There's like 10 iterations of PSVR2 controllers they have patents on right now.

Vawn

Banned
Pic3.jpg

Why Sony why....?

Because it was never planned to be.

That's like asking what happened to Steam being on Xbox Series X? It was never going to be.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet. Don't take even take patents as being something companies are seriously considering.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Good riddance. Would just hike up the price of the console, control itself, and most likely be underutilized.

And that goes without mentioning the battery life.

PreFire

Definitely would have been a battery killer. Pretty good artist

I can see something like this being used as a minimap, crafting and equipment view.. that way you wouldn't have to pause gameplay, but it would probably be cumbersome

sneas78

Banned
some of you ask why a screen on a controller?... Shit you guys, nintendo has you use chat on your smartphone for switch multiplayer ehh?

baphomet

For some reason I'm not surprised the majority of people here don't know an obvious fake when they see one.

Second screen gaming is a fad from early next-gen last-gen, some consultants probably sold side apps for many games, the Wii U was built around it... etc. This is probably the fault of the Nintendo DS and 3DS.

There is no point to it on a controller--as someone who had a Dreamcast back in the day I stand by this statement.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
I don't know why they kept the touchpad to be honest, I'm not sure I ever really used it for anything other than BIG MAP BUTTON, which is nice I guess, but it's like a third of the controller.

ethomaz

Banned
Fake news happened.

The devkits were using DS4 controller... so these pics in OP are fake.
Sony said they revealed the DualSense because the new Devkits shipped have them and they feared that devs could leak the new controller before them talk about it.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't know why they kept the touchpad to be honest, I'm not sure I ever really used it for anything other than BIG MAP BUTTON, which is nice I guess, but it's like a third of the controller.
It is very very useful in games that use it.

Nymphae

Banned
It is very very useful in games that use it.

Can you give me a for instance? I was able to press start and access maps before just fine, now that button has been crammed in-between the face buttons and the huge map button. Guess which button I use more?

ethomaz

Banned
Can you give me a for instance? I was able to press start and access maps before just fine, now that button has been crammed in-between the face buttons and the huge map button. Guess which button I use more?
FFXIV for example.

Still, one feature has me fawning all over the PS4 port of FFXIV. It’s one feature that neither PlayStation 3 nor PC gamers have been able to use in-game so far: DualShock 4’s touch-pad.

• With the touch-pad, I could move a mouse cursor around on screen as if I had an actual mouse connected to the PlayStation 4.
  • The touch-pad could be used to access the map, the chat box, quests and dialog boxes. You can even use it to shop in-game.
  • The touch-pad could be used to select specific monsters on the field or to activate certain powers on the ability bar.
  • The touch-pad can be operated with a light tap of your thumb or finger, not unlike a laptop touch-pad.
Essentially, the touch-pad unlocked a lot more functionality than you’d expect with the controller which all that goes a long way in proving the viability of Massively Multiplayer Online games on consoles.

But there is a lot of examples.

Tearaway Unfolded
Killzone: Shadow Fall
inFAMOUS: Second Son
Gravity Rush 2
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Until Dawn
Detroit: Become Human
Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
Watch Dogs
Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

All these games did things with touchpad different than just show a map.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
FFXIV for example.

Sure the potential for use is there but in all the years I've had my PS4, I don't think I've ever used it for more than a map button, which came at the expense of a well placed start button which I use far more frequently. I never really liked the feeling of using my thumb for mouse like gestures anyway, I tried fucking around with it in one of the Assassins Creed games and it felt unnatural, I'd rather just use the two sticks and multitude of buttons I have literally at my fingertips while holding the controller naturally.

Top Bottom