• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to the PS5 controller screen??

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Was that lcd screen controller verified as a real dev kit controller? Or was it a photoshop?

I forget.

There were tons of fake images floating around back then.

onQ123

Why would you need a screen on a controller?

Seems like a ridiculous waste for something you would only look at 1% of the time.

If couch multi-player was still a big thing the screen would be great for games like Madden for setting plays without anyone seeing them.

Fighting games could use it for the life bar & we could have used it to mix herbs in the next Resident Evil

Geki-D

Banned
You (and apparently a lot of people in this thread) believed in a confirmed and obvious fake? Damn.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Ironically, it was just there to tell you the battery life constantly for a few minutes. Then it would have to power down.

Keihart

let's be glad that the D-Pad isn't the nightmare inducing one in the "prototype" pictures.

Last edited:

Shakka43

Can you give me a for instance? I was able to press start and access maps before just fine, now that button has been crammed in-between the face buttons and the huge map button. Guess which button I use more?
In Days Gone depending on which way you swipe you get directly to the Map, Inventory, Skills or Story missions, all which you can still get through the Menu but having direct shortcuts adds a little to the QOL of the game.

They are going to add in a haptic step counter so they don’t need the screen for the first party games ;)
sSEK4Uf.jpg

Nymphae

Banned
all which you can still get through the Menu but having direct shortcuts adds a little to the QOL of the game

For me these redundant functions come at the expense of a better placed start button. It's a neat and not totally useless idea, but it hasn't proved it's worth to me at all in 7 years. People can give me a small handful of games that have even tried to use it. But like you said it's redundant anyway, this isn't necessary or game changing at all, it's superfluous and the sticks work just fine. To me it's an absolutely inessential peripheral that they crammed into their perfect controller.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
They are going to add in a haptic step counter so they don’t need the screen for the first party games ;)
sSEK4Uf.jpg
I don't like a full screen, but something like this would be interesting. A touch button with lot of tiny holes to see a simplistic low resolution lcd or even diodes behind to show some information,

spawn

My guess:
1. It was fake
2. This was the controller for the dev kit.
3. This was an early design, but then it was scrapped

DonF

might be just a debug unit or it was a prototype that never made it. It would be cool if its a debug unit, but with that screen it should be wired only.

Top Bottom