• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happens "if" Microsoft buy Warner?

Rocksteady can make a new action adventure game if allowed. Its not like they converted some Batman fandom into a gaming studio.

I’m not saying Rocksteady can’t make a good non-Batman game. Personally, I’d prefer they try something different.

I’m making an argument about pricing. Investors don’t like taking chances on something new. If you bundle that into a deal which puts a price on a studio, you will end up with a lower price.

Dural

Sony owns Spiderman, AT&T owns Batman.

As already mentioned, no they do not, Disney owns Spiderman. Sony has the movie rights to Spiderman and if a sale of WBIE goes through I'd imagine any buyer would want the game rights to the WB properties.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
As already mentioned, no they do not, Disney owns Spiderman. Sony has the movie rights to Spiderman and if a sale of WBIE goes through I'd imagine any buyer would want the game rights to the WB properties.
Disney has the movie rights to Spiderman, Sony owns the IP.
I’m not saying Rocksteady can’t make a good non-Batman game. Personally, I’d prefer they try something different.

I’m making an argument about pricing. Investors don’t like taking chances on something new. If you bundle that into a deal which puts a price on a studio, you will end up with a lower price.
Currently other potential bidders are Take-Two Interactive, Electronic Arts, and Activision Blizzard. Only EA will care about the Batman IP.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think if they buy them, and get a ten year license on the likes of DC and MK, Microsoft effectively will be bringing forward a new arms race. They will be signaling the rest of the industry consolidation is a go, and we will be heading down the same path as other industries where there's really only space for 4 or 5 major players.

But who knows.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
I think if they buy them, and get a ten year license on the likes of DC and MK, Microsoft effectively will be bringing forward a new arms race. They will be signaling the rest of the industry consolidation is a go, and we will be heading down the same path as other industries where there's really only space for 4 or 5 major players.

But who knows.
Since MK is part of WBIE, Microsoft will just buy the whole IP while they are at it.

Currently other potential bidders are Take-Two Interactive, Electronic Arts, and Activision Blizzard. Only EA will care about the Batman IP.

What would be the incentive for AT&T to not sell them together? What does AT&T get out of splitting it up?

What makes you think those publishers would prefer to have Rocksteady without Batman?

Leyasu

Banned
Without the I.Ps, 4bn is a bit expensive. I would like to know what I.Ps they would get apart from MK.

If Microsoft do get them, they could easily do something like this.

Put 12 studios on 3yr dev cycles. Which equal 1 AAA game every 4mths or quarter.
Mojang would carry on doing what they do.
They could also have a 3 dedicated RPG studios 4yr dev cycles meaning a AAA RPG every 15 - 18 months (Obsidian, InExile and Playground team 2)
Plus some outliers doing either 2/3/4 or even 5yr cycles.

That would be a pretty compelling 1st party output/offering. Gamepass would become even more unmissable than it already is, and they could tone down their moneyhats for 3rd parties. Obviously one of their goals?

How many do they have today? and how many would this acquisition give them in total?

I mean honestly? I'm not so sure what would happen, but I feel like here are a few things that would happen:

- Microsoft would reach a deal with EA and allow the Xbox LOTR games to be backwards compatible and playable on Series X as EA owns those games. (hopefully this happens anyway if EA buys WB Games)

- The LEGO games from TT Games would likely stay multiplatform, but I feel they would slow down in pace and TT games would also work on creating their own non-LEGO games. Potentially they would work on some of the backlog of Rare IP or create their own IPs.

- New FEAR games (I wish...)

- Killer Instinct characters and stages would likely get folded into Mortal Kombat, and MK would be a large Xbox exclusive.

- Ed Boon would be able to make his non fighting game new IP

Honestly, I feel like Microsoft is the best group to buy them, with EA easily being the second.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I think Rocksteady or even WB Montreal would be better gets for MS if MS were to attain the Batman/Superman licenses. MS already has a great fighting franchise in KI and can just hire Iron Galaxy to do a KI 2.

Rocksteady is the kind of elite studio you can't pass up if available.
This whole deal is one cant pass up. This is a huge opportunity. MS would be insane not to grab it. Its extremely rare.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Without the I.Ps, 4bn is a bit expensive. I would like to know what I.Ps they would get apart from MK.

If Microsoft do get them, they could easily do something like this.

Put 12 studios on 3yr dev cycles. Which equal 1 AAA game every 4mths or quarter.
Mojang would carry on doing what they do.
They could also have a 3 dedicated RPG studios 4yr dev cycles meaning a AAA RPG every 15 - 18 months (Obsidian, InExile and Playground team 2)
Plus some outliers doing either 2/3/4 or even 5yr cycles.

That would be a pretty compelling 1st party output/offering. Gamepass would become even more unmissable than it already is, and they could tone down their moneyhats for 3rd parties. Obviously one of their goals?

How many do they have today? and how many would this acquisition give them in total?
More than 25

I honestly don’t see ms buying them....would more than likely be a Chinese owned company that has links in with movie studios as there are a lot of those takeovers happening at the moment (tinfoil hats)

Will wait and see

Ms would be better buying something like sega which has a good foot in Japan and a shitload of unused 1st party ip

No way will an Chinese company be allowed to scoop up western companies in this climate. Governments have already cautioned companies against sale to Chinese corporations.

Last edited:

Dane

It's not impossible that AT&T could actually sell the whole thing with a long license rights to the new owner. That also means if the new owner doesn't renew it after X years, AT&T won't also have the right to sell these games, as the assets are now belonging to the other.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
I dont think it will happen. But yeah, if it happen, MS will have like 20 world class AAA studios. Its insane.

MrMephistoX

It just seems like a poison pill without the IP. It’s like selling 343 or Bungie without the Halo license and in that case why pay a premium when you could just poach top talent?

REE Machine

Banned
I mean, it would be a game changer.
It would rocket Microsoft so far ahead of Sony's first party studios that you would expect Sony would have to reply.
Would this lead us into the great studio buy out era so many have been predicting?
There was rumours of both Sony and Microsoft looking at Zenimax as well.
Maybe this gets re looked at.
Last i checked sony released a banger a few weeks ago and is releasing one more potentially before this generation ends, what has MS released lately again?

lol sony would be fine, if anything if MS got hold of those IP's I would be praying they dont pull an EA and take them out back and cap them in the head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom