• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has your career "ruined" for you?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
My career has destroyed the following for me:

- Holidays. The day before and after a holiday sucks real bad. Plus we're open 24/7 so we usually don't get to enjoy holidays
- Talking on the phone. I get super stressed by phones ringing now. Probably borderline PTSD
- People. You talk to some of the dumbest people on the planet. I used to be a people person. Now I'm heavily misanthropic.

NecrosaroIII

My career has ruined thinking people have more going on in their lives than to talk shit about each other.
Very true. I work in an office environment where we're constantly getting flooded with work. Yet people always find ways to be:
- Jealous
- Worried about missing out on something
- Resentful of other teams

Just focus on your own fucking work and act like an adult.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
My career has destroyed the following for me:

- Holidays. The day before and after a holiday sucks real bad. Plus we're open 24/7 so we usually don't get to enjoy holidays
- Talking on the phone. I get super stressed by phones ringing now. Probably borderline PTSD
- People. You talk to some of the dumbest people on the planet. I used to be a people person. Now I'm heavily misanthropic.
What do you do for work?

Please tell some stories.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Many things.

***I couldn't go to the event in Mexico for the premiere of Gravity rush!!!!... Damn it, that day I had a hospital exam and I couldn't go. I cursed that moment!!!

*** Because of distance, a long love relationship broke up.

*** Not going to parties for years to prepare for a too difficult exam and pass the university.

*** Have unconfidence in people.

*** I cant go on a trip or vacation in peace.

Last edited:

lachesis

Social life, really. I get off pretty late from work, and a lot of times it's not even guaranteed... so I usually don't make any plans on Friday nights. I'm dead tired by then, so if anything... I just go out on weekend.

NecrosaroIII

What do you do for work?

Please tell some stories.
I work in logistics. It's sort of a call center sort of deal. So I have drivers and clients calling in.

There are two types of drivers
- Those that enjoy the flexibility of being a 1099
- Those that are too stupid to do anything else.

The dumb ones (hate to say it, but mostly those from ultra rural locations) make my brain die.

Clients are even worse. Rude, annoying. Unrealistic expectations that have been cultivated by our sales team, who usually don't understand our product and paint an unrealistic picture. I'm daily called lazy, a moron, stupid. And that's from B2B clients. You'd think they'd act more professional.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
25 years ago I had a streak of working in call centers.
It pays well and you become permanent within 6 months with benefits.
However you are literally tethered to your phone.
There's an asshole supervisor who monitors everyone's activity making sure we take incoming calls without pause.

One morning a coworker briefly went to the bathroom and when he came back the asshole supervisor asked him why he wasn't taking calls for 10 minutes.
"I was taking a shit" he said, like a child justifying his absence to a parent.

The reason those jobs pay well is the constant in & out of employees who eventually quit like I did before punching a random stranger on the street out of sheer frustration.

Fuck call centers & fuck Mastercard 😆

Back on topic I'm lucky to now have a job I love which doesn't interfere with my personal life.

Too many people wake up in the morning and their first thought is "Ah SHIT". I believe this is a recipe for a heart attack at 40 years old and we all deserve better.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Knowing how much the costs of goods are compared to the price you pay at shelf. lol.

At the first big company I worked at, I analyzed sales and costs, and also worked with one of the purchasing managers to help source products to bring back to market (stuff we had dormant, but slap a new graphic on it and it can be sold as a new item).

We'd order shitloads of stuff from China for like 80 cents each. Sell it to stores for $6, and stores would sell it for $10-12.

Even more crazy. Those factories selling it to us for 80 cents are also making money on it. So the actual cost is probably like 50 cents.

Of course this is just material costs. It doesn't all the costs involved with running a company. But it goes to show just the core cost of crap can be rock bottom pricing at the start.

Fun tip: You know how all the eco-friendly kinds of products are jacked up in price? Guess what? Manufacturers and stores jack up the price because all you eco warriors will pay anything! lol. The actual cost to make this stuff is often LOWER than the mainstream stuff because eco friendlier stuff has less ingredients, chemicals etc... Often times it just watered down/diluted versions of the regular stuff with no dye colouring, but repackaged in a green box. We jack up the price to stores. And stores jack up the price to you.

Last edited:

Artoris

Gold Member
Knowing how much the costs of goods are compared to the price you pay at shelf. lol.

At the first big company I worked at, I analyzed sales and costs, and also worked with one of the purchasing managers to help source products to bring back to market (stuff we had dormant, but slap a new graphic on it and it can be sold as a new item).

We'd order shitloads of stuff from China for like 80 cents each. Sell it to stores for $6, and stores would sell it for $10-12.

Even more crazy. Those factories selling it to us for 80 cents are also making money on it. So the actual cost is probably like 50 cents.

Of course this is just material costs. It doesn't all the costs involved with running a company. But it goes to show just the core cost of crap can be rock bottom pricing at the start.

Fun tip: You know how all the eco-friendly kinds of products are jacked up in price? Guess what? Manufacturers and stores jack up the price because all you eco warriors will pay anything! lol. The actual cost to make this stuff is often LOWER than the mainstream stuff because eco friendlier stuff has less ingredients, chemicals etc... Often times it just watered down/diluted versions of the regular stuff with no dye colouring, but repackaged in a green box. We jack up the price to stores. And stores jack up the price to you.
Does the green box cost more than the product

Use computer as entertainment? If I sit in front of it is for work. No games or anything else . Even if I have 2x rtx3080 i9, 64gb etc. weekend I don’t even go near it

nush

Working in the videogames business, I'm over it now but there was a time when I was playing games 40 hours a week and the fucking last thing I wanted to do was go home and play games to relax.

However flip side is that people reading this will have played and enjoyed those games I worked on. So, it was worth it.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Working in the videogames business, I'm over it now but there was a time when I was playing games 40 hours a week and the fucking last thing I wanted to do was go home and play games to relax.

However flip side is that people reading this will have played and enjoyed those games I worked on. So, it was worth it.
Not only did I enjoy Superman 64, but my AIDS was cured too. Thanks!

Sleepwalker

I absolutely hated videogames during the time I played esports profesionally.

- One of my first jobs was at a call centre, I still hate phones and feel exactly like John Marston John Marston in regards to them.

- Any semblance of a schedule, being my own boss means I end up shitposting on GAF, playing videogames or doing random stuff during the day and then catching up with the stuff I have to pay attention to late at night or at some weird ass hour.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Mr Driller, Tony Hawks, Guitar hero, DJ Hero, Jedi Power battles, Silent Scope, GTA (2/London) bunch of other shit I can't pull off the top of my head.

Suck my dick bitch. :messenger_tongue:
Slight derail, but what are your thoughts on the state of the industry today, and are fans being unfair with their criticism and expectations?

As for me? I'm not sure if my career has actually ruined anything for me. It's enabled me and opened so many doors for me and my family. I've got a generally decent team and we work in a generally great and caring company. If it's ruined anything, then it's probably my expectations and level of comfort if I ever decide to move onto other pastures.

Edit: nush nush and thanks to you and the team for Jedi Power Battles. My bro and I had so much fun playing it back in the day. Also I shake my fist at you for all the hours I wasted back in my uni days on Silent Scope.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Career 1: Retail, age 16-19
*I always did my best to be professional and work hard. These days I encounter a lot of retail staff with terrible work ethic and next to no professionalism. But I do encounter good staff too. Seems like it's 50/50. Anyway makes you realise a lot of people don't really carry themselves with pride. So I suppose ruined the idea for me that nearly all apply themselves to the best of their ability.

Career 2: Recruitment hiring, age 19-22
*many manufacturing companies wanted foreign workers from places like Eastern Europe because they had better work ethic than native British people in their eyes. Not all natives, but the consensus was they'd work harder and be more reliable. Ruined my faith in the system of this country to put it's people first ahead of cheap labour.

Career 3: Teaching in Japan, age 26-29
*Japanese students and people in general get a lot of things right and they have an incredible work ethic and good manners. However working in the country for 3 years did somewhat ruin my desire to ever work there again. No one has any spare time for themselves and there's a lot of misery from the amount of obligations in both education and in work. It's hard to find balance there unless you are creatively or financially free to escape the system that keeps their society ticking along.

Career 4: Marketing at a University, age 29-31
*Univeristies are completely captured by the woke EDI mind virus and they are a shadow of there former selves. The level of education quality has taken a nosedive and it's ruined my desire to do post-grad for the time being.

Career 5: Stock market trading, age 31-33
*I mean I was wise enough anyway to not trust what you read online, but people will honestly say anything and lie to get rich. Dont trust anyone in the financial world and do your own research extensively when risking money. Learn how the markets works as it will screw you otherwise! (thankfully not me yet - *knocks on wood).

Last edited:

nush

Slight derail, but what are your thoughts on the state of the industry today, and are fans being unfair with their criticism and expectations?

Good question, I'm glad you asked it in OT side and not gaming because I'd just get plastic box of choice fanboys telling me how fucking wrong I am.

Short answer. It's fucked.

Long answer, games cost too much to make and everybody involved wants to see a big fat return on that investment. Where the games industry is now is the superhero movie model, that's actually killing creativity. Anyway, meh, don't care I can shitpost on GAF every day from my penthouse that was paid for by plastic guitars.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
My ability to tolerate other human beings in a work setting is virtually non existent.

Once you start working for yourself from home, even attending a random meeting every once in a while with clients or execs from a company becomes a trial.

I’d struggle like fuck going back into an office setting.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm daily called lazy, a moron, stupid.
Sorry to hear that man, I honestly didn't expect that, I thought you might have some fun stories of people being very annoying, not being ground down daily by people who not treating you the way they should. I don't know if you can get support at work to help challenge this behaviour or if it's just how the job always will be, but you shouldn't be being treated that way.

I made a major change in my work life some years ago, it cost me a drop in income, required me to swallow my pride and set me back a few years in other areas of my life, but it was absolutely worth it.

At the very least, I assume there are other logistics jobs out there that could mean you doing what you're already doing, but working with hopefully nicer people.

So, sorry to hear about it, I don't think you should put up with it. I would suggest you work out what you can do to change things.

NecrosaroIII

Sorry to hear that man, I honestly didn't expect that, I thought you might have some fun stories of people being very annoying, not being ground down daily by people who not treating you the way they should. I don't know if you can get support at work to help challenge this behaviour or if it's just how the job always will be, but you shouldn't be being treated that way.

I made a major change in my work life some years ago, it cost me a drop in income, required me to swallow my pride and set me back a few years in other areas of my life, but it was absolutely worth it.

At the very least, I assume there are other logistics jobs out there that could mean you doing what you're already doing, but working with hopefully nicer people.

So, sorry to hear about it, I don't think you should put up with it. I would suggest you work out what you can do to change things.
Thanks. Fortunately my boss is awesome and my team is awesome. However, outside my team is a minefield. I've stopped talking to people outside my team. It's just too dangerous. You don't know what you're gonna get.

For what it's worth, I've worked at 4 other logistics companies, ranging from big names to mom and pops. This one has been by far the best. But it's the nature of the industry, you know? Working in logistics is tough thankless work, but if I'm gonna be doing it I'd rather do it here.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Career 1: Retail, age 16-19
*I always did my best to be professional and work hard. These days I encounter a lot of retail staff with terrible work ethic and next to no professionalism. But I do encounter good staff too. Seems like it's 50/50. Anyway makes you realise a lot of people don't really carry themselves with pride. So I suppose ruined the idea for me that nearly all apply themselves to the best of their ability.

Career 2: Recruitment hiring, age 19-22
*many manufacturing companies wanted foreign workers from places like Eastern Europe because they had better work ethic than native British people in their eyes. Not all natives, but the consensus was they'd work harder and be more reliable. Ruined my faith in the system of this country to put it's people first ahead of cheap labour.

Career 3: Teaching in Japan, age 26-29
*Japanese students and people in general get a lot of things right and they have an incredible work ethic and good manners. However working in the country for 3 years did somewhat ruin my desire to ever work there again. No one has any spare time for themselves and there's a lot of misery from the amount of obligations in both education and in work. It's hard to find balance there unless you are creatively or financially free to escape the system that keeps their society ticking along.

Career 4: Marketing at a University, age 29-31
*Univeristies are completely captured by the woke EDI mind virus and they are a shadow of there former selves. The level of education quality has taken a nosedive and it's ruined my desire to do post-grad for the time being.

Career 5: Stock market trading, age 31-33
*I mean I was wise enough anyway to not trust what you read online, but people will honestly say anything and lie to get rich. Dont trust anyone in the financial world and do your own research extensively when risking money. Learn how the markets works as it will screw you otherwise! (thankfully not me yet - *knocks on wood).

EDI consultation is one of the biggest scams out there. They aren't actually trying to help with actual inclusion or diversity or equity... They make things worse and the division grows .
. Meanwhile they get hella fat checks! It's a SCAM!

Laieon

The level of education quality has taken a nosedive

I agree, but that has nothing to do with what you're claiming it does.

Quality of education has taken a nosedive in universities because the kids they're admitting are coming from school systems and communities where the quality of education has also taken a nosedive because admin refuse to hold anyone back (or, hell, even let teachers hand out 0s), books are being stripped from shelves, and all parents need to do to get their way is bitch, moan, and threaten to escalate whatever issue they're having - schools and teachers have lost autonomy.

Instead of earning grades and diplomas by actually putting in the effort and doing the work these kids are just being handed diplomas or being passed along to the next grade for "doing their time". Expect it to get worse before it gets better, because "giving grace" has only escalated since COVID - which has become an easy scapegoat for why many of these kids are potentially drastically behind where they should be ("COVID" isn't a good reason for why a senior in HS is reading at a 3rd grade level).

Because these kids are used to being passed along without putting in any real effort, and at the day universities and schools are businesses; they'll lower their standards to accommodate these kids because they want their money. It also doesn't help that full-time professors are becoming more and more rare with colleges and universities preferring to employ adjuncts.

I've taught in both the US and Korea and it's literally night and day in how we approach and treat education at a societal level compared to the gauntlet that is the Korean education system. The quality of education in the US hasn't declined because of "wOkE", it's declined because at a societal level we just don't give a shit.

Last edited:
Going out.
I am basically tired from working.
So true. my work is at what we call "unsocial hours" so you're working between 8PM - 6AM. It totally fucks with your sleep and day.

I hardly do anything after work because I'm so tired and my sleep pattern doesn't match up with the normal working hours. I'm in my bed when most people are up and about. I need to wake up 7PM to get ready for work. When I get home about 7AM i get up to about 11AM before I need to sleep if I want my 8 hours.

It's only when I get time off do I feel I can do anything but I still need to try readjust my sleep and 1 week off isn't long enough. Neither is 2 weeks and I usually only take 1 week off. I think in the last decade I've only ever once taken 2 weeks off. and then of course I need to change my sleep back before I return to work.

Good thing is that my holidays are increasing next year so I get an extra week off. Not that it'll make a huge difference but it's something. I love my job but sometimes I do wish I had a boring 9-5 job.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Mr Driller, Tony Hawks, Guitar hero, DJ Hero, Jedi Power battles, Silent Scope, GTA (2/London) bunch of other shit I can't pull off the top of my head.

Suck my dick bitch. :messenger_tongue:
That's an impressive resume. What happened with GTA, though? Why were you not commissioned to work on the 3D era games?

Top Bottom