• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What has your career "ruined" for you?

Go_Ly_Dow

I agree, but that has nothing to do with what you're claiming it does.

Quality of education has taken a nosedive in universities because the kids they're admitting are coming from school systems and communities where the quality of education has also taken a nosedive because admin refuse to hold anyone back (or, hell, even let teachers hand out 0s), books are being stripped from shelves, and all parents need to do to get their way is bitch, moan, and threaten to escalate whatever issue they're having - schools and teachers have lost autonomy.

Instead of earning grades and diplomas by actually putting in the effort and doing the work these kids are just being handed diplomas or being passed along to the next grade for "doing their time". Expect it to get worse before it gets better, because "giving grace" has only escalated since COVID - which has become an easy scapegoat for why many of these kids are potentially drastically behind where they should be ("COVID" isn't a good reason for why a senior in HS is reading at a 3rd grade level).

Because these kids are used to being passed along without putting in any real effort, and at the day universities and schools are businesses; they'll lower their standards to accommodate these kids because they want their money. It also doesn't help that full-time professors are becoming more and more rare with colleges and universities preferring to employ adjuncts.

I've taught in both the US and Korea and it's literally night and day in how we approach and treat education at a societal level compared to the gauntlet that is the Korean education system. The quality of education in the US hasn't declined because of "wOkE", it's declined because at a societal level we just don't give a shit.
100% agree, but not giving a shit does feed into woke, as woke solutions are a symptom of not giving a shit. Let's essentially make fake reasons up why the Western society is failing such as, institutional racism, patriarchy, misogny, homophobia, being the cause of our all woes and scapegoat the actual issues in our society, such as drug related crime, drug abuse, knife/gun crime, gangs, affordable housing, obesity etc. So agree that at a societal level we don't give a shit and so part of the failing solution are woke bandaids in government, corporations and now education. It means as a society we aren't maximising efforts towards tackling these harms.

Good example with obesity is rather than give a shit and have honest conversations about the detriments of being overweight to yourself and others, the woke message is "BODY SHAMING IS WRONG AND HARMFUL!". They go hand in hand imo.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I agree, but that has nothing to do with what you're claiming it does.

Quality of education has taken a nosedive in universities because the kids they're admitting are coming from school systems and communities where the quality of education has also taken a nosedive because admin refuse to hold anyone back (or, hell, even let teachers hand out 0s), books are being stripped from shelves, and all parents need to do to get their way is bitch, moan, and threaten to escalate whatever issue they're having - schools and teachers have lost autonomy.

Instead of earning grades and diplomas by actually putting in the effort and doing the work these kids are just being handed diplomas or being passed along to the next grade for "doing their time". Expect it to get worse before it gets better, because "giving grace" has only escalated since COVID - which has become an easy scapegoat for why many of these kids are potentially drastically behind where they should be ("COVID" isn't a good reason for why a senior in HS is reading at a 3rd grade level).

Because these kids are used to being passed along without putting in any real effort, and at the day universities and schools are businesses; they'll lower their standards to accommodate these kids because they want their money. It also doesn't help that full-time professors are becoming more and more rare with colleges and universities preferring to employ adjuncts.

I've taught in both the US and Korea and it's literally night and day in how we approach and treat education at a societal level compared to the gauntlet that is the Korean education system. The quality of education in the US hasn't declined because of "wOkE", it's declined because at a societal level we just don't give a shit.
Canada education system is shit too. I've heard my share of stories from my nephews and nieces, as well as friends who are teachers.

Some of the shit my brother's kids would show us when they were younger is stuff we did probably two years earlier then them in the 80s. Insane how easy the math was. It makes no sense because kids are exposed to more stuff. If anything, school should be trending harder because a lot of kids in general will google the answer at home.

In Ontario, it's one of those places where a kid cant fail from K to grade 8. It started in the early 2000s I think. So if a kid never shows up to class or is the dumbest human on earth getting zeros and F's, all the teaching board can do is recommend the student take things over. But if the parent wants to move them to the next grade then the school has to allow it. Considering how many parents are idiots themselves, pretty sure 99% of them will say move Timmy to the next grade please. Zero responsibilities on the school, parents and kid.

I dont know what that real answer is why schools are trending down.... maybe it's woke teaching boards, parents pressuring schools to make it easier, or perhaps they got to make it easier since kids are too dumb playing Fortnite all day. But it's not like humans evolved dumber on their own after only 20 or 30 years. But the education taught sure has.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I've had a lot of really shit jobs in the past. Disposing of rotten tuna, working in a 200 degree industrial bakery, scam telemarketing, video game journalism...

So when you ask me about my career now, sitting in a nice office, writing documentation, and getting paid well, I really have no complaints.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The delusion that society is organized, or that it needs to be to go on.

The delusion that people believe in the importance of work.

The delusion that adults are adults. Most people beyond their 20s are just barely self-controlled children, ready to throw a tantrum at the smallest slight, and most of them have no sense of personal responsibility at all.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
My ability to tolerate other human beings in a work setting is virtually non existent.

Once you start working for yourself from home, even attending a random meeting every once in a while with clients or execs from a company becomes a trial.

I’d struggle like fuck going back into an office setting.
I've been working from home since march 2020 and I'm never going back !
We have a hybrid system and 100% WFH if it's all good with your Lead.

I would even say I'm even more productive working from home.
I take no breaks or lunch hour, hell I even logged in a couple of hours on weekends to preemptively get stuff done.

I don't know what it's like to work with pants on anymore.
I once also stuck my balls on my monitor at a coworkers webcam face as he was talking nonsense in a Teams meeting.
You do that LIVE in a conference room and I'm pretty sure you at least lose your job.

It's a WIN/WIN! 😃

FunkMiller

I take no breaks or lunch hour, hell I even logged in a couple of hours on weekends to preemptively get stuff done.

I once also stuck my balls on my monitor at a coworkers webcam face as he was talking nonsense in a Teams meeting.
You do that LIVE in a conference room and I'm pretty sure you at least lose your job.

It's a WIN/WIN! 😃

It's easily the best working environment I've ever had. I was a little anxious about leaving working for a major company and going it on my own, but it's turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The delusion that society is organized, or that it needs to be to go on.

The delusion that people believe in the importance of work.

The delusion that adults are adults. Most people beyond their 20s are just barely self-controlled children, ready to throw a tantrum at the smallest slight, and most of them have no sense of personal responsibility at all.

i make s sometimes final fantasy GIF

Found out your job.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

It's a WIN/WIN! 😃
Nothing ruined. Sorry for post quoting but I went remote in 2020 the same. I've had 4 promotions starting from staff supervision, 2-months in promoted management for international trade ops (got some expensive product from a client UPS'd no charge too), 3rd after 6-months to double managing international & domestic ops and moving up to marketing director and web dev as an extra in June.

Just like you, I don't take breaks but they're there. I have insurance, severence, holiday bonuses (triple bonus to salary around Christmas), accumulative/roll over PTO and I get along with folks.

My mental and physical health have continued improving, marriage is great going on 7-years and no mortgage for the decent properties. It's a blessing. But, if I decided to quit and do nothing...savings would be blown in 6-months and I get depressed fast when I'm not doing something. In a way, work keeps me going.

-Minsc-

Not so much career, but responsibilities in general.

No longer can I sit around on the computer all day browsing forums, playing games and doing a bunch of mindless stuff. Probably not a bad thing.

gimmmick

Going out to eat. As a chef, I will always support the industry I work at. Though in the process… restaurants that I enjoyed eating at to liked before are a waste of time and effort. Knowing single handily I can cook much better is a big strain when on me now that I’m married and have a kid.

Last edited:

H4ze

Working in retail customer support and online customer support, I lost any hope for humanity.
90 % of the people out there are entitled little kids in grown up bodys. No empathy, no education.

I was screamed at, insulted, physicaly threatened and all that for a shit income.

Fortunately, I managed to change my profession a year ago, now working fewer hours and havin a much much better income. I went from 31k a year, to 50k. My mental health is way better now too.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've been on both ends--not having enough to stimulate your mind and being so overwhelmed health complications arise. Aim for the middle and steer clear of the extremes.

Take pride in your work, even if it seems trivial. You never know where it can take you until you're there.

There will be ups and downs no matter where you go in life. Don't let it wear you down. Let life ebb and flow.

Top Bottom