• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if all PS4 Games are free to play with ads like broadcast TV?

onQ123

I just had a crazy dream about the PS4 being all about free to play games & it was just like TV\Movies you could play for free with ads between the gameplay or you could have a pay channel with no ads or you could just buy the games like you would buy a DVD\Blu-ray. everything was the same besides the shows\movies was replaced with games. yeah I know crazy! I don't even have dreams about video games but somehow I just had this dream maybe I need to stay off of NeoGaf late at night.

Sid

Could be cool but if the consumer doesn't pay anything to complete the game the ads won't be in the game instead the game will be in the ads if you know what i mean

If the games were the same type as what we get now, but with short ads breaks, instead of the fremium model type of games, then yeah, I'd be totally cool with it.

Pranay

No one will mind the ads if they are along with the loading screen either and if your getting a game for free, i dont have any issue with that as long as you can pay and remove it.

Get your credit scores healthy people - next gen is coming!

Haha, I imagine both PS4 and 720 will be under $300 due to some sort of contractual obligation (ie. smart phone-esque plan) that has you paying the remaining funds in installments carefully hidden behind some sort of "value" or "membership".

I could be wrong, but to stay competitive in this market now the companies need to be accessible which probably means converging into progressive payment/revenue methods (ie. freemium).

Karuto

I could see them charging you a lower amount and adding ads on top of it being far more likely. Like, charge $30, but targeted ads are included. Then again, they already started doing that in sports and racing games and they are charging $60. For what Microsoft does with Xbox Live Gold, they don't really need to provide an incentive to do something like that.

Mithos

Haha, I imagine both PS4 and 720 will be under $300 due to some sort of contractual obligation (ie. smart phone-esque plan) that has you paying the remaining funds in installments carefully hidden behind some sort of "value" or "membership".

Problem is that's NOTHING like smartphone-esque plan, because every single CENT is YOURS in that plan to use on sms/mms or calls, in the console payment plan every single CENT will be MS or Sonys then.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
In a not so distant future i can see it as a standard, basically onlive with ads, nothing really incredible.
If well made(AAA and indie games, ads only in loading screens, no forced loading screens etc) i can deal with it.

Most of the Free 2 Play games have modest budgets and rely a lot in microtransactions. I don't think advertising alone is enought to support of the budget of a AAA game. Now think about the prices of the ads; How much can they price the advertising time in niche games like the Atelier series? How much for a CoD scene??

santi_yo

What if all PS4 Games are free to play with ads like broadcast TV?.
9EMYl.jpg

Derrick01

Banned
Ads are not going to support 30-50 million dollar games alone. They would have to implement some F2P model and that is where I bow out. I will not be involved in that shit.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I guess you missed the part about buying games or having a pay channel like HBO with no ads?

If no ad whatsoever is shown on the os, i can buy/play games, listen to music, surf the web with no ads in sight, but have the option to turn ads ON to get free to play content, then - and only then, i wouldn't mind.

But that is not how it would work. It would be a hassle to gets rid of ads, the'll try to force them on you on every occasion possible and always have the "It's free to play, but you can turn them of here" excuse.

onQ123

Ads are not going to support 30-50 million dollar games alone. They would have to implement some F2P model and that is where I bow out. I will not be involved in that shit.

if it's like TV\Movies the games will make their way to the ad supported gameplay like a year after release.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I would never play a game with commercial interruptions like that. Please don't give them any more bad ideas.

If no ad whatsoever is shown on the os, i can buy/play games, listen to music, surf the web with no ads in sight, but have the option to turn ads ON to get free to play content, then - and only then, i wouldn't mind.

But that is not how it would work. It would be a hassle to gets rid of ads, the'll try to force them on you on every occasion possible and always have the "It's free to play, but you can turn them of here" excuse.

I know it's silly to argue over a dream idea but the whole point was buying games gets rid of the ads just like buying a Blu-ray.

Herb

Banned
I dunno about PS4 console games. I could see a model like that working in a game like Leauge of Legends or StarCraft. Have ads running between games, inside lobbies, etc.

rpmurphy

I just had a crazy dream about the PS4 being all about free to play games & it was just like TV\Movies you could play for free with ads between the gameplay or you could have a pay channel with no ads or you could just buy the games like you would buy a DVD\Blu-ray. everything was the same besides the shows\movies was replaced with games. yeah I know crazy! I don't even have dreams about video games but somehow I just had this dream maybe I need to stay off of NeoGaf late at night.
What if it was like cable and you paid a subscription but still have ads?
What if you could buy the games like a movie on DVD/Blu-ray and you have to sit through several game trailers before you can get to the game menu?

I think we should also consider these possibilities when looking at the broadcast and movie mediums.

it wouldn't be viable unless they had 5 mins ads play every thirty mins no matter what you're doing in game.

Now just imagine fighting a boss in Dark Souls 2 only for the game to pause and play an ad for Doritos or Axe or whatever else and then lumping you back into the game after a few mins...

There's also the possibility of the game crashing if it's not well implemented.

And let's not even factor in the whole persistent online aspect. Not online = no playtime. Now imagine if the network is down for maintenance, you can't play any of your 'free' games as ads can't stream.

chris3116

I would never buy a console that do that. But I would not be surprised to see this in the future just to have more money. I would not be surprised to see some 1st party games commercials at the the beginning.

onQ123

it wouldn't be viable unless they had 5 mins ads play every thirty mins no matter what you're doing in game.

Now just imagine fighting a boss in Dark Souls 2 only for the game to pause and play an ad for Doritos or Axe or whatever else and then lumping you back into the game after a few mins...

There's also the possibility of the game crashing if it's not well implemented.

And let's not even factor in the whole persistent online aspect. Not online = no playtime. Now imagine if the network is down for maintenance, you can't play any of your 'free' games as ads can't stream.

that would only push you to buy the game.

EVOL 100%

It depends on how it's implemented. If it's done correctly, and the choice of buying the game still remains, it could be a good alternative to people who don't want to cough up $60.

Top Bottom