• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What, if anything, do you think Persona 5 could 'learn' from TMS#FE?

If you're going to have long battle animations, for the love of God make them skippable. Sessions seemed so cool n the early going, but by Chapter 4 when every attack in every battle goes for six Sessions it is so tedious.

killatopak

Basically:
1. Unless you're making a VN, gameplay matters.
2. Go anime, but never go full anime.

I think Atlus have at least partly fixed the first point. The second point is getting me worried because in general Atlus are going more and more anime, judging from #FE and SMTIV Final.

What does full anime mean?

GenG3000

I loved how the Mirages were treated as part of the cast, with their personality, aspirations and interaction with their masters, the rest of the cast and their Mirages.

In that regard, I liked the clases and weapon systems and wished for something like that in Persona 5 instead of endlessly breeding lesser demons. The Fusion system is great in SMT where you are a demon Hunter but Persona would benefit from less disposable monsters.

Also no more silent MC.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Basically:

I think Atlus have at least partly fixed the first point. The second point is getting me worried because in general Atlus are going more and more anime, judging from #FE and SMTIV Final.

How is SMT4 Armageddon more anime than the first one?

Shin-chan

If you're going to have long battle animations, for the love of God make them skippable. Sessions seemed so cool n the early going, but by Chapter 4 when every attack in every battle goes for six Sessions it is so tedious.
I'm in front of the final boss door and this is why I haven't even tried it yet. I know it's going to be a slog.

I haven't finished #FE yet so I can't say for sure, but one element whose spirit I hope is present in Persona 5: using the LINE-style text conversations as a way to add bits of characterization outside the main story and side quests. I would love to see entire short conversations happen during downtimes, ex. traveling in the overworld. The tricky part would be making it work without the Wii U gamepad, but maybe you could have single lines pop up at the bottom of the screen, and if you wanted to read the whole conversation you could take out your phone and the whole screen would show up.

It's a small detail, but it's one of my favourite things about #FE.

It'S one thing I most disliked in #FE. They sent too many messages.

It's not really a new thing anyway, as Catherine and Cyber Sleuth also has messaging system and implemented it well.

Eumi

What does full anime mean?
"Don't make anime stuff I don't like" basically.

As for the topic itself, I adored how TMS actually involves every party member at all times. In persona I find myself picking a team and running with it, leaving the others to rot in reserve. TMS actually encourages you rouse everybody, and is balanced around you doing so, which means that the gameplay stays fresh longer as you end up with a much larger array of choices without having to put in extra work that never really gelled with how persona handles it's rpg elements to me.

Honestly, the big thing I want p5 to have that TMS has is bonus bosses for social links. The side quests in TMS are essentially social links, but many of them feature bonus bosses which rather than just a harder version of an enemy are normally big characters, since they're borrowed from FE.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
-No calendar system
-Better dungeons (P5's don't looks as improved as I originally thought)

No calender system ? What. Thats one thing i really enjoy about persona and part of what makes persona...you know...persona

As for the topic itself, I adored how TMS actually involves every party member at all times. In persona I find myself picking a team and running with it, leaving the others to rot in reserve. TMS actually encourages you rouse everybody, and is balanced around you doing so, which means that the gameplay stays fresh longer as you end up with a much larger array of choices without having to put in extra work that never really gelled with how persona handles it's rpg elements to me.

Honestly, the big thing I want p5 to have that TMS has is bonus bosses for social links. The side quests in TMS are essentially social links, but many of them feature bonus bosses which rather than just a harder version of an enemy are normally big characters, since they're borrowed from FE.

This is more like it though. I liked picking a party and sticking with it as it made me put more thought into what team i would go into a dungeon with, but once i picked my team, it pretty much meant that the other characters would never get used due to low levels. Ive never used Naoto or teddie, and yosuke fell off almost immediately and im only going to be using those characters once i start my second playthrough

Never played TMS due to not having a wii u, but if they could balance persona 5 in a way to encourage swapping of party members that would be great.

Also would be nice to have bonus bosses or events like you said, similar to how maries worked in Persona 4 Golden

No calender system ? What. Thats one thing i really enjoy about persona and part of what makes persona...you know...persona

Persona 2 managed just fine without having a repetitive calendar system and that game's pacing was all the better for it. The calendar takes ~45 hours worth of RPG and stretches it to 60+, requiring all sorts of restrictions on other gameplay systems and slowing the story to a crawl.

Opa-Pa

How is SMT4 Armageddon more anime than the first one?

I was wondering about this too and has me worried because I've been more on less on blackout for Apocalypse.

Mainline SMT is like the last bastion of good non-anime JRPGs for me, which is already an stretch considering SMT IV. I saw that swimsuit DLC thing in a mail Atlus sent and I was hoping the main game didn't have much of that crap.

I adore modern Persona but that is in spite of how anime it is, and P5 does look more anime than 3 and 4 in a way so uh yeah. On the other hand what I wanted the most out of P5 was the comeback of demons and guns so I can't complain too much, thank you Atlus.

I loved how the Mirages were treated as part of the cast, with their personality, aspirations and interaction with their masters, the rest of the cast and their Mirages.

This is something I've wanted in Persona since forever. The fact that they never address their personas directly is really bizarre considering they're part of their true selves lmao. Makes it hard to see them as anything but disposable weapons and I'm sure that's not intended.

Thud

I expect nothing. Persona 5 has been in development for quite some time after all

For further installments, it's definitely dungeons and a way to shake up the combat.

MoonFrog

I expect nothing. Persona 5 has been in development for quite some time after all

For further installments, it's definitely dungeons and a way to shake up the combat.

Yeah, it would be 'cross-pollination,' if anything, which is why I put 'learn' in scare quotes and used take and share as alternatives, with the idea being that the games were in development side-by-side so perhaps they inspired each other in some ways. Or perhaps they share in some general direction for Atlus with respect to JRPG. Of course, perhaps one hand never saw what the other was doing. Who knows, perhaps a lot of the things people think P5 could learn from TMS were inspired by P5 development.

Persona 5 already has better looking dungeons than what TMS#FE, so I don't think that's something to worry about.

Cool. Being in the dark, I didn't realize so much was already being seen.

This is more like it though. I liked picking a party and sticking with it as it made me put more thought into what team i would go into a dungeon with, but once i picked my team, it pretty much meant that the other characters would never get used due to low levels. Ive never used Naoto or teddie, and yosuke fell off almost immediately and im only going to be using those characters once i start my second playthrough

Never played TMS due to not having a wii u, but if they could balance persona 5 in a way to encourage swapping of party members that would be great.

Also would be nice to have bonus bosses or events like you said, similar to how maries worked in Persona 4 Golden

In TMS#FE the weakness and special ability system inspire you to switch out characters on the fly. Some units have a lot of coverage, like Kiria, but no one is the right person for every situation and the special abilities are useful. It is like switching your persona on your MC only doing it with cast members instead. As I noted on the last page, I did read that P5 is changing the one more turn system to change the coverage game towards valuing the cast more and the wildcard ability less. I think that is a great change and should encourage swapping party members.

As to there being battle and dungeon content to the sidequests in TMS, I do think that is one thing they had over Social Links. The other is that they unlocked powerful abilities for the cast. From reading responses, it seems P5 is taking both of these things on board?

Switching party members in battle is handy.
That's about all.

from trailers, we know dungeons aren't randomly generated anymore (stealth would be impossible if they were)
from trailers, we know you are fighting actual demons instead of shadows which is also nice.
I'm not going to say don't go full anime cause it already went full anime with 4.

edit: yea, I agree with the idea that whatever social link system they should be part of a quest system.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Not to work with Nintendo.

You do realize that if it wasnt for Nintendo that we still would be waiting for Atlus first HD RPG right ? Im glad that they got those Atlus Devs ready for HD development and hope we will get the next RPGs not too soon after TMS/P5.

You do realize that if it wasnt for Nintendo that we still would be waiting for Atlus first HD RPG right ? Im glad that they got those Atlus Devs ready for HD development and hope we will get the next RPGs not too soon after TMS/P5.

To be fair, Catherine, even though it wasn't an RPG, was P Team's first foray into HD development to prep them for Persona 5. Things just took a lot longer afterwards.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Basically:

I dont know what you are talking about.
Gameplay in #FE is ace.
And dungeon are great too.

Persona 2 managed just fine without having a repetitive calendar system and that game's pacing was all the better for it. The calendar takes ~45 hours worth of RPG and stretches it to 60+, requiring all sorts of restrictions on other gameplay systems and slowing the story to a crawl.
Exactly. This is probably the main reason I'm not a fan of Persona(4 specifically). It's bloated and the story progression (=pacing) is too slow.
I have not played TMS yet though so I don't know if it is better in that regard(I hope it is). Will likely start playing it soon.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
To be fair, Catherine, even though it wasn't an RPG, was P Team's first foray into HD development to prep them for Persona 5. Things just took a lot longer afterwards.

Pretty much. All the shit that was happening with Index and then them being acquired by SEGA had a bit to do with it.

I agree with the OP in terms of their criticisms of Persona 3 and 4. Haven't played TMS#FE to compare but it sounds like those points would be better.

Exactly. This is probably the main reason I'm not a fan of Persona(4 specifically). It's bloated and the story progression (=pacing) is too slow.
I have not played TMS yet though so I don't know if it is better in that regard(I hope it is). Will likely start playing it soon.

I love Persona's slow pacing.

Zolo

Mainline SMT is like the last bastion of good non-anime JRPGs for me

I'm guessing you've never seen post-apocalyptic 80s anime or manga?

Nocturne has 3 childhood friends, I guess that makes it the most anime of all?

be5106a6103625d6528457f6f38344081434420557_full.jpg

Top Bottom