• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Hideo Kojima made a zombie game? Find out inside...

Lakitu

st5fu
GamesRadar alerts folks that in a recent interview with Edge magazine, the legendary Hideo Kojima, head of super-studio Kojima Productions, revealed his unlikely and unhinged vision for a zombie-themed game. According to Kojima, he's "less interested in the idea of the living dead than the fact you can turn people just by biting them." So much is his focus on "turning" people, that he even considers implementing his take on zombie-apocalypse in a massively-multiplayer online environment.

He explains:

Imagine a large town where half the inhabitants are zombies. Users would subscribe, get inside the town and get bitten. At that stage they become undead and can't control their character - all they can do is modify the camera angles.

...They'd see their character attacking humans and have to pay just to watch! ...The only way they could end it is by opening another account, hunting themselves down and killing themselves. Of course, the problem is that your second character can get bitten as well.

Not getting to control your character if you get turned? Having to hunt your former "self" and kill it (if it got zombified it's an "it" now), just to progress the game? Get bombarded by cinematics of mindless zombies? All too silly? Well, despite Kojima's own reservations about his over-the-top and unlikely Zombie-MMO, he says that he won't rule the idea out. GamesRadar reports that should he feel that the moment is opportune, he will "take some time to prepare. Very seriously."

Well, the cinematic aspect of the whole thing is trademark Kojima.

http://ps3.qj.net/Kojima-s-version-of-Zombie-apocalypse-involves-killing-yourself-/pg/49/aid/83017

They'd see their character attacking humans and have to pay just to watch! ...The only way they could end it is by opening another account, hunting themselves down and killing themselves. Of course, the problem is that your second character can get bitten as well.

Oh Hideo, who knows what mischief you'll get into next.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
This is about as crazy as his other idea where if you die in a game, your disc self destructs and you have to buy a new copy

This is a new form of microtransaction rape

Jacobi

Banned
Sounds kind of dumb honestly. But if I think about it, it'd probably be interesting how it would work out... I guess at the end there'd be total zombie domination...

That doesn't sound too bad as long as it doesn't cost extra to make another account.

Edit: Thinking about it, the AI for the zombies would have to be pretty good to make up for lack of player control.

Hideo Kojima and Peter Molyneux seem similar to me in that they have extremely creative, impractical game ideas that will never exist as a retail product, and they talk out their ass about them during interviews. The difference between the men to me, as shown by this quote, is that what Kojima is describing is not anything anyone would ever want to play, especially pay to play. Peter's ideas tend to be just too good to be true, but you'd really want to play them if they could exist.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I swear he's talked about this before. Maybe he's just repeating an idea he threw out at a GDC panel last year?

And :lol at the comments on that page.

SumGamer

I feel this is a great concept. It's just depend on the implementation. It could be a pure gold or pile of shit. MMO with no room for mistake, I'd hit that. It would be better if you can somehow revese the zombified effect and return to normal.

Imagine where you are in a 30 people guild and once you made a mistake you have to wait until your friend rescue you. That would be great.

But we all know that he would never do that :(

lorddct

I think the game would be kind of interesting. AI of zombies won't need to be that advance, and obviously it will depend on how this creation system works.

The objective is when you create your character you want to kill off your old one, maybe to gain back stats? Items equipped that you lost, and it keeps respawning until you are the one who kill it.

The zombie would also have differing levels so some would be harder to kill and more of a challenge. And like everyone else said it would eventually be a Zombie infested world, which will make the world more intense.

Specific areas will be considered more dangerous then others, and considered Zombie towns where the hardest missions will be and the most reward.

If you can log onto your old character and just see where the Zombie is, it'll be an easier way to tell where it's located at so your new character can kill it and put it out of it's misery.

The only thing I don't get how this would work is the payment system. If it's one fee you can have infinite amount of zombies but one player alive I think that system will be kind of fun. If it's pay for a new account, that would suck ass.

The game has potential and unless there is time invested in it and is actually executed, I don't think this idea should be marked as being stupid.

Filter

How is that a stupid idea?
sounds great to me. perma death is about the only way to make people really think and worry about their actions. especially in an online environment.
reminds me of when I had to play the original resident evil without a memory card. so much more tense.

The game could work if every user automatically has two accounts and when they die in one they start using the other. If you die in your second account, that one becomes the zombie and the other account refreshes and you can play as that one again. That way if you have important items on the first account and it's a zombie, you better not die.

jiang

did you guys see this? some japanese dude got mad at people bashing kojima's idea. or something. (in that link)

I’m Japanese and live in Japan; however, game addicts are classified as 3rd raters in any countries; it’s just same in Japan or in the states. Ok, kids. What kind of stupid human beings spend (waste) time for reading game related thingies when you waste even more hours every single day to play games? Playing games is not enough for you? So you have to waste hours and hours every day to read game related articles, watch game related movies and see game related pictures? Game addicts are very pathetic sort of people I can imagine. They are pitiful guys in real lives. The gaming addicts occupy the lowest ranks in any society.

Let’s take an example of Counter-strike. Game addicts played the game so much, now they become very good at it. When they play the game online, they can get a lot of kills when they only relatively die much less. Their kill–death ratio is very good; better than other people; therefore, the game addicts feel satisfied and get self-esteem because they are better and cooler than other people in that virtual world. On the other hand, game addicts are regarded as 3rd rated, lifeless, worthless, useless, stupid, and trash like kinds in real lives with garbage like educational achievement. Game addicts created their own virtual reality and try very hard every day to maintain their imaginative gaming world.

For your easy understanding guys, I have a very simple and concise example. When you were high schoolers, you had seen a lot of nerds and non-fashionable classmates. I’m talking about those students who study very hard and spend a lot of time for studying, working and planning for their future. You, game addicted kids called them idiots or nerds. Now, years later from then, those hard working and diligent students attend universities when game addicts get worthless lives. A few more years later from this moment, they will work as lawyers, doctors, officers, et cetera when you will work as cleaners, store clerks, janitors and bus drivers.

Game addicts will clean up those hard working people’s office later as janitors; and this is the real life; get out of your virtual gaming world. Your life is worth about $10 per hour; I actually have nothing more to say. Those respectable and hard working people who become lawyer and doctors earn about $200 - $600 per hour. Even the youngest and entry level lawyers earn $300 per hour. If you work as store clerks, for example, you will earn about $8 per hour if you just started working. You will get about $15 per hour about 8 years later when you have a lot of work experience. I bet you feel very happy about your life because now you can earn $15 per hour instead of $8.

If you are so bone-headed, I can talk about just so many other aspects of reality. I don’t have to talk about the amount of money (dollars) you earn. I can talk about, let’s say, the quality of lives? I’m sure that lawyer’s life quality is incomparably much more superior, better, safer, securer, cleaner, more respectable, and so on than the life quality of game addicts.

ronito

I’m sure that lawyer’s life quality is incomparably much more superior, better, safer, securer, cleaner, more respectable, and so on than the life quality of game addicts.
It's always the last sentence that makes me laugh hardest.

Dizzy

Banned
just take out not being able to control the zombies, and instead allow people to control them but give them a slow walk speed and make them handle like tanks and maybe You can scrape a game out of it.

JDSN

Banned
Dizzy said:
just take out not being able to control the zombies, and instead allow people to control them but give them a slow walk speed and make them handle like tanks and maybe You can scrape a game out of it.

Or maybe your zombie can gain experience and get things like claws and faster speed.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Kojima said:
...They'd see their character attacking humans and have to pay just to watch! ...The only way they could end it is by opening another account, hunting themselves down and killing themselves. Of course, the problem is that your second character can get bitten as well.
Ooo! Can't wait to pay that game!

Yoboman

What if you can get your friends to heal you? You'd have to watch as they either abandon you, get killed by you, kill you and take your possessions or rescue you :lol

Top Bottom