• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a good meaningful gift for your significant other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mason

I've already bought a couple presents, but they're pretty dumb. I want to also get at least one thing that has some kind of meaning or is symbolic of our relationship; or at least isn't a gag gift or something 'typical' like a CD. I'm really stumped though, and running out of time. Can anyone help me out? I know this is kind of vague but I'm not sure how to explain it.

EDIT: And I'm looking for something "nice" but not lame or sappy like flowers, candy, etc.

Well the problem with helping you on a gift that is symbolic of your relationship, is that, well.. that's a personal thing. Keep looking and something will leap out at you.

Suggestions though? If you are feeling a little arts and craftsy, and you have a bunch of photos, you can always do a more decked out photo album. Or a little box with trinkets from your relationship.

I guess the only thing I can say is that what you buy may not have alot of meaning out of the box, but what you do then is take it out of the box and put meaning into it. Add something about your relationship to those things you buy and it'll work out well.

(Some of my favorite gifts I was giving from my ex were themed this way, and some of what got the most honest reactions from her were the same.)

Mason

Yeah I wish I had some pictures; that's a great idea. But we never take any pictures, so that's out.

Dilbert

Mason said:
I've already bought a couple presents, but they're pretty dumb. I want to also get at least one thing that has some kind of meaning or is symbolic of our relationship; or at least isn't a gag gift or something 'typical' like a CD. I'm really stumped though, and running out of time. Can anyone help me out? I know this is kind of vague but I'm not sure how to explain it.

EDIT: And I'm looking for something "nice" but not lame or sappy like flowers, candy, etc.
How about making reservations to take her somewhere nice? Obviously, this will depend on your budget -- an overnight driving trip somewhere you've never been before would be great, but potentially $$$ -- but I would think that she'd appreciate a gift of TIME. You'll come back with some more "couples memories"...and this time, bring the camera!

Yeah the photo thing is cool. Take more pictures this year so you can be set for next year! You can't just throw them into an album, but I'm sure you get the point. I would then recommmend the trinket box if you have like ticketstubs of movies and random things that mean alot between the two of you.

I could dig up the box my ex gave me, and snap some pictures if you were curious about what I mean, but I'd have to find it. (Not excatly something I leave out, for obvious reasons.)

I'll keep trying to think of something. Just try and think of something basic you can doctor up, but a little love into. Hell, you could get a slightly fancier photo album and a disposable camera, and plan a trip to the nearest downtown center and do all the touristy things.. make it a kind of "Here's some actual gifts, and here is this fun thing we can do together, and when we are done you'll have this other cool thing" idea. Ya know, go out to eat, hit the museums or art galleries, or if you live in an area of the country where it isn't cold as fuck right now you could go out for like a weird winter picnic.. ..

:: Shrugs ::

Just thinking out loud here...

EDIT : yeah, what jinx said. :p

Cherubae

How about an christmas ornament? Something with both your names on it and the year, so you two can look back when you're old and go "aaauuuu..... I remember that".

Mason

I'm looking at personalized Christmas ornaments right now online.....

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going overboard with this....is Christmas really that important as far as couples go?

Mason said:

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going overboard with this....is Christmas really that important as far as couples go?

Maybe. How has he responded to previous gifts? What kind of gifts has he given you?

Mason

Aw man, I was really hoping to keep the whole gay factor out of this. *sigh*

We've only been going out a month, so this is the first holiday or special occasion we've had. That's why I'm not sure how zealous I should get about this.

Mason said:
Aw man, I was really hoping to keep the whole gay factor out of this. *sigh*

We've only been going out a month, so this is the first holiday or special occasion we've had. That's why I'm not sure how zealous I should get about this.

Sorry, I was just being accurate with the pronouns.

If a month, I don't think you should get anything special. Unique maybe, but please don't make it overly sentimental.

Leon

Mason said:
Yeah I wish I had some pictures; that's a great idea. But we never take any pictures, so that's out.

That doesn't solve all your problems, but it will score you points :

Say you got a brand new camera from somebody and you're dying to try it out. Or find another way to take a good picture of yourself with her. Then take the best picture out of all of these. Buy a new, NICE frame to put it into. And tell her/write her (better to write) that the reason you're offering this is because you want to remind her how beautiful she is, and how great you guys look together, and you hope that many more pictures will come, because she doesn't realize how much you miss her when she isn't around.

You can always fiddle around with ideas like that.

Edit : Ah. Not quite sure how/if that would work with a gay guy.

Hammy said:
Sorry, I was just being accurate with the pronouns.

If a month, I don't think you should get anything special. Unique maybe, but please don't make it overly sentimental.

Ah.. I should have asked how long you two were going out in the first place. My fault. I still say doing something with a personal touch is your best bet, but you don't have to go nearly as overboard as I was thinking.

Manics

Banned
Mason said:

I was gonna suggest this. An ornament is something you would bring out year after year and hang on the tree so it would have significant meaning. If it's personalized and it's from say your 1st Christmast together it has that extra meaning to it. That's my 2 cents.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
B00062IE9Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
This should be easy. I bet there's something he has mentioned while you've been going out that would be perfect — something nobody else would think to give. Or make something, you seriously can't go wrong with something you've made and put effort into, unless it's a majorly worthless piece of shit.

ohamsie

Guys are easy to shop for, they don't need to find secret double meanings behind gifts you give them. Get him some dvds or electronic gadgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom