• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is CDKeys.com and is it safe to buy from?

Neo_Geo

Banned
I enjoy that when people try to digital correctly (cheaper than physical releases) they are labeled thieves.

I've never heard anyone get hit with stolen keys from cdkeys.

You will always have the ignorant white knights who are jealous that people are smart enough to obtain games at the correct MSRP.

Link to where this happened with CDKeys specifically (not G2A)?
It would be nice if people actually posted any type of evidence when talking about cdkeys being shady. 150+ posts in the thread and still no proof.

Me and my friends have been using cdkeys for past year with no issues at all. I will continue to use them as long as they keep offering great deals.

I used it to buy a 12M XBL Gold code not too long ago. They asked me to go through some verification process but otherwise it seemed 100% legit. No complaints.

G2A has VAT/Sales tax if you choose your location correctly.
It just also has the option to select a different country and avoid the tax, which is the users risk.

Kinguin also has VAT/Sales tax for european orders.

The prices that they advertise are 0% tax, so you choose you can pay that 20% extra, but it is not enabled by default. You are right that they have an option to pay VAT, but that is like an option to donate when you buy from ebay. It is not about IP or choosing language/currency, it is about explicitly stating that you want to pay taxes. Your loss if you want to ;)

oti

Banned
The prices that they advertise are 0% tax, so you choose you can pay that 20% extra, but it is not enabled by default. You are right that they have an option to pay VAT, but that is like an option to donate when you buy from ebay. It is not about IP or choosing language/currency, it is about explicitly stating that you want to pay taxes. Your loss if you want to ;)

But... that's lying and illegal.

Jayne

I just bought Street Fighter V from them yesterday. The deal was too good and let you pay with PayPal so I took a chance. I got the code immediately and input it to Steam no problems.

I'd say they are legit.

Buy from them time to time, planning on getting SFV through them, all games I got through them activated with no problems and still work to this day.

OP is you want more "legit" resellers you can check out Gamesplanet and Nuuvem.

Almost every new item in Nuuvem is locked behind an address verification on your credit card. You might be able to get some Bethesda titles, some indie games, some GoG games, but all SE, 2k, Ubisoft, Capcom etc. titles are payment locked. Of course you will be able to buy all titles if your credit card is from South America.

Got Batman and Rise of The Tomb Raider from them and had no problems. To be honest, if you're comfortable with buying keys off Ebay or the B/S/T forum on here, I don't understand why you would have reservations about CDKeys.

Sanjay

It's kinda ridiculous...

Xjgqo5J.png

vs
drJU2MC.png

or
PymiJu3.png

They always deliver, just depends how OK you are personally with going grey market.

lol wut

Street Fighter V (PC)
£29.89 @ boss deals / rakuten
£25.99 @ argos
£24.85 @ shopto

CDKeys.com price of £24.99 for SFV is nothing special guys, it's about the right price, its the USA prices that are outrageous.

Decado

What about blizzard titles? Will battle net reject an expansion purchased on cdkeys? I bought the base game at retail.

GJS

The physical version from Argos is like , £25.99. It's not that much lower than there.

UK market has low cost physical retail products and high cost digital products for some games.

The CD key reseller copies are commonly physical retail cd keys bought at wholesale prices, so can be offered online at low price taking advantage of the wholesale price.

So in street fighters case it beats the digital price by a lot, and you don't have to wait for delivery or visit a store.

King_Moc

Banned
I use them fairly regularly with no problems. I also get all my steam credit and ps+ subscriptions there. The priced they charge for digital games are what we should be paying for a product that loses all monetary value once you buy it.

My bank rejected them and thought it was fraud when i tried to purchase something from them.

My bank have done that with the likes of Seetickets and Amazon before.

ZOONAMI

They buy download codes from cheaper regions in bulk, and then resell them. I've never had a problem with a single code.

TriAceJP

My bank rejected them and thought it was fraud when i tried to purchase something from them.

It's because of the international charge most likely. My bank did the same, called and cleared it up.

Honestly in happy they did because I can see it being a strange charge.

LostDonkey

Bought many a game from them, never had a single problem.

They are actively promoted on IGN, that's how I got wind of them.

topplehat

I have only purchased one thing from there. It was an SC2 LoTV pre-order, but you don't get the key until release day/right before release day. Thankfully I was able to redeem it and get the pre-order in on Battle.net. No real problems at all with the service, I guess it's kind of a "grey" area with how they buy codes in one region to resale in another.

I recently purchased The Uncharted Collection for $27.99 from them and had my code within minutes. No issues at all. Way better than paying the $59.99 that it continues to sell for on the PS Store.

It is hard to justify paying 59.99 for games that I originally spent $180 on last gen. $27.99 makes it more than worth it though!

Pinkuss

Used a fair bit for PC (Steam) and PS4, never an issue, although once one of the scanned codes was a bit of a bugger to read.

What about blizzard titles? Will battle net reject an expansion purchased on cdkeys? I bought the base game at retail.

I asked this back on page 2 and someone said Legacy of the Void from CDKeys worked fine for them. I'm probably gonna get Legacy of the Void later today and maybe try co-op tonight. I'll let you know if anything goes wrong.

madjoki

Authorized resellers also pay 20% VAT tax in Europe as well as Lion's share for Steam or Retail Shops.

At the moment CDkeys payments go to the UAE based company, G2A/Kinguin are both HongKong: none have sales tax or VAT. 20% off every game bought on Steam from Europe usually goes to the Luxembourg.

Technically speaking anyone selling digital downloads to EU should be paying VAT. However I doubt these sites do and that makes it cheaper.

Valve just used Luxembourg for tax loophole, and after it was closed recently. Valve also ceased to sell via they EU company because of this.

VAT isn't flat 20% but depends on country, up to 27%.

zpiders

I been using CDkeys for a couple of years now for purchases on PSN, Nintendo e-shop & Steam, have never had any issues whatsoever.

Clearos

I've bought from them a few times and I even got a refund on an item with same day customer service. Not a single issue yet.

Really great if you get a game early, I'll be getting division with season pass for a little over 60.

cakely

I used them once to get a pretty substantial discount on a pre-order of Dark Souls 2.

I got my Steam key with no problem. Ymmv.

Redx508

got street fighter for $34 this week with the facebook code. Used paypal they ask for a phone# for a bot to call or send a 4 digit verification number. After that you enter the code on the site and you get a key all this took less than 5mins now to wait for preload

Jospina

Banned
Used them a few times, requested a refund once because they sent me an Russian-only key when the product description said it was a region-free key. They don't fight paypal disputes, they don't even reply back. Paypal automatically gives you a refund if you file a dispute and the seller doesn't answer within 2 weeks (or maybe 1 week, I don't remember.)

So it's pretty safe.

Kayant

How well does Gamesplanet work from the US? They have The Division Gold for $30 off the steam price in the US. That seems like quite the discount...
Not sure they are listed as a Global seller. From my experience(UK) I have brought from the UK/german site with no problems.
Almost every new item in Nuuvem is locked behind an address verification on your credit card. You might be able to get some Bethesda titles, some indie games, some GoG games, but all SE, 2k, Ubisoft, Capcom etc. titles are payment locked. Of course you will be able to buy all titles if your credit card is from South America.
That's new isn't? Well that's a shame but luckily there are several others as an alternative.

Top Bottom