• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is it about the Xbox Series S that worries developers?

Jokerevo

Banned
I gotta admit I wasn't that concerned about SS holding back SX but after Billy Khan's tweet, it's a bit worrying. His comments are not to be sniffed at. That's a lead engine programmer of DOOM/DOOM Eternal.
I find it interesting how it's become a "4K box" verse a "1080p box". Microsoft's messaging has really been effective on this one.

What happens if a developer -- like anyone using Unreal 5 -- decides to output in 1440p or 1080p on the PS5 and X because they're pushing nanite or have a novel lighting solution they want to exploit that takes a lot of shader performance up? What resolution will it run at on the S then? What experience will that provide? What else will have to be cut in order to get something running on the S?

I think these are serious questions that could hinder developers ability to craft the types of games they desire.

I agree. The Xss is going to sell well and that will mean the install base is going to dwarf the XsX. I've been saying it for a while but HI should have been an XsX exclusive, a true flagship game but now we all know why it looks so crap: gamepass/Xss.

Multiplats may suffer now as a result but it's not all doom and gloom...the switch 2 is going to have a say in this too and if it sells well (assuming it is more powerful than the Xss) then it gives devs an optional platform to sell to.

Kinda interesting that X wants to be the most powerful and the most weak at the same time lmao.

In the longterm I expect PS5 to provide some incredible fidelity, CGI level shit because of it's fixed config and because of the 1st party talent, like it or hate it, TLou2 was produced on 1.84 flops with 5mb of ram and that is seriously impressive for obsolete and dated hardware.

Xss could be the indie king or something...the mainstream won't care until they realise they can't play X/Y/Z on it.

Blue Spring

Read my tears about xbox here --->
I think MS simply doesnt give a shit what it means for game development or how a new generation is for advancing gaming and opening new possibilities to design games.

It looks like they designed their consoles around marketing points.
Series X and its 12TF is for the marketing point "strongest console" but the low-spec Series S will be their main console and for the marketing point "cheapest console". They did the bare minimun for porting as in having the same CPU and SSD in the Series S but everything else is current gen level.

No wonder you dont see any developers praising them.

Last edited:

gmoran

DF have now posted their video on XSS, they knew about the box in March!

At the end they start talking about how do you scale down something like the UE5 demo to XSS!

Schmick

Those people already exist. LOL

The I'll wait till it's $20 crowd is strong. Even worse, the I'll wait to get it used crowd, where the devs get nothing (they much prefer GP).
lol yea, i cant remember the last time i spent day one price (and this is before GamePass)

NickFire

Why do they advertise it as 1440P? Is this just to avoid the dreaded Series 4k and Series 1080P jokes? I honestly never heard anyone say they bought a 1440p tv.

If they are targeting sub 1440p on the series x they fucked up big time and that game will be a dumpster fire performance wise lol. I do love the concern. Should you concern troll Sony if a developer wants to use lots of avx256 and down clock the shit out of the GPU causing shit frame rates?

That's not necessarily true at all. 1080p with advanced lighting could look fantastic and produce really great results on both the Xbox X and PS5. 4K is great, but there are different ways for a developer to get the result they desire for their game. Not all roads lead through 4K.

I'm not "concern trolling", merely looking for others informed opinion. I can respond to you though that AVX256 is a x86 CPU instruction set, not something on GPUs. Well, in full disclosure Intel did try something vaguely reminiscent with Larrabee but this was 512bit wide extentions on a P54C core. About the downclocking, I think you're referring to something Cerny said in a presentation in which AVX256 produces more heat than other operations, as expected. But to infer what you did is actually trolling and I will not respond in kind.

Last edited:
Can't wait for some clueless idiots who have never written a line of code in their lives to tell him he is wrong, doesn't have the "full picture" and that he's spreading FUD to benefit playstation.
I mean, at least one called Activision liars for saying the next CoD would run at Native 4K/60 w/ RT on because "multiple devs" had already confirmed that the PS5 can't do 4K so... I'm sure it's coming.

DaGwaphics

You realise that devs want to sell individual units of their games first. Renting them is a last resort. AG mentioned that gamepass isn't exactly setting the rate of return on fire. Like MS paid upfront to get those games on there. The real problem with GP is AAA studios want hardware sales to drive unit sales. They want those fat install bases so they can sell their games to everyone.

When GTA 6 comes out I wonder how they will handle the Xss issue. Will they really scale their game back into last gen?

The type of gamer that buys AAA content at $60 will continue to do so. They aren't going to suddenly start waiting a year or two to see if it pops up on GP.

Regarding GTA 6, it depends on if the XSS user base is "fat enough" by your own logic. You don't have to be #1 to get 3rd party support, you just have to have a big enough base to make the #s work. The Xbox consoles will be very compatible with the PC variants that generally release day and date anyway (though not Rockstar).

quest

Not Banned from OT
I think MS simply doesnt give a shit what it means for game development or how a new generation is for advancing gaming and opening new possibilities to design games.

It looks like they designed their consoles around marketing point.
Series X and its 12TF is for the marketing point "strongest console" but the low-spec Series S will be their main console and for the marketing point "cheapest console". They did the bare minimun for poarting as in having the same CPU and SSD in the Series S but everything else is current gen level.

No wonder you dont see any developers praising them.
Why should Microsoft give a shit if it adds a tiny bit of work for developers. They are trying to grow the market so everyone makes more money. I think the Sony warriors forget only Sony did well last generation. It was so bad for Nintendo they are hand helds only now. The home console market went from almost 300 million to 200 million dominated by 1 company. A stagnant market needs growing. I saw nothing from Sony to grow the market. The series s could actually grow the market. If the cost is a little more work oh well hire more staff with the extra sales from a bigger market.

DaGwaphics

Why should Microsoft give a shit if it adds a tiny bit of work for developers. They are trying to grow the market so everyone makes more money. I think the Sony warriors forget only Sony did well last generation. It was so bad for Nintendo they are hand helds only now. The home console market went from almost 300 million to 200 million dominated by 1 company. A stagnant market needs growing. I saw nothing from Sony to grow the market. The series s could actually grow the market. If the cost is a little more work oh well hire more staff with the extra sales from a bigger market.

I don't think it's a case of MS not caring what devs think, it's just that sometimes you have to break the mold to do something different. We wouldn't have most of the ecosystems we have today if everyone was too afraid of something different to try. Devs dislike the idea, it's up to MS to actually show growth associated with the console and the financial rewards that come with it. IF they succeed, expect public sentiment to take a turn for the better. LOL

It's targeting a different resolution. One X was built to try and run 4k. The XSS is better overall, even in raw GPU performance, but the bandwidth is not optimized for 4k. This is typical of PC cards as well, a new card can do much better than an old, high-end card in 1080p but falter at 4k (because the old card probably had better bandwidth than the new 1080p card).
You wasting your time explaining these folks. They see things which fits their agenda and run with it lol

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If they are targeting sub 1440p on the series x they fucked up big time and that game will be a dumpster fire performance wise lol. I do love the concern. Should you concern troll Sony if a developer wants to use lots of avx256 and down clock the shit out of the GPU causing shit frame rates?

I too love people carrying water for the anemic S all while months lamenting “9.2 to 10.3 is weak sauce for next gen”.

Blue Spring

Disagree on many of your points.

The market has not grown since the PS2 era and thats okay honestly when you restart every 5 to 7 years. The Wii got some people that never played games with the Wii but they vanished 4 years later. Right there is your 100m gone. 2 billion or was it 3 billion gamers worldwide is a bullshit number that consoles will never see.
I also have not seen many people crying about PS handhelds disappearing. So why cry about Nintendo consoles disappearing?

The moves MS makes will not grow the market either. Their whole goal is to get marketshare from PS and thats it.

Sony tried to grow the market with PS VR or at the very least tried to advance gaming with PS VR.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Multiplats may suffer now as a result but it's not all doom and gloom...the switch 2 is going to have a say in this too and if it sells well (assuming it is more powerful than the Xss) then it gives devs an optional platform to sell to.

You're probably going to be waiting a looooooooooong time before XSS level of performance is available in a 10w package. Even 15 -25w would be a long minute. The 5300XT (slightly higher TF GPU) with no CPU is a 100w part.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Because its not necessarily "a tiny bit of work", in fact the harder devs push and more fully they utilize the high-spec devices, the more work is involved in cutting it back. It disincentivizes doing more than simply aiming for a higher native res on One X. In a crazy way, they are neutering the advantages of having "the most powerful console" by shackling devs ambitions to what they can achieve on the weaker device.

Also MS aren't trying to "grow the market" they are trying to increase their marketshare and profitability from their services. Which is legit, but so is what every competitor in the marketplace is doing.

DaGwaphics

The market has not grown since the PS2 era and thats okay honestly when you restart every 5 to 7 years. The Wii got some people that never played games with the Wii but they vanished 4 years later. Right there is your 100m gone. 2 billion or was it 3 billion gamers worldwide is a bullshit number that consoles will never see.
I also have not seen many people crying about PS handhelds disappearing. So why cry about Nintendo consoles disappearing?

The moves MS makes will not grow the market either. Their whole goal is to get marketshare from PS and thats it.

Sony tried to grow the market with PS VR or at the very least tried to advance gaming with PS VR.

There are actually some really negative long-term trends in the industry right now. I doubt you'd find many that think stagnation is okay, especially given the population increase that has occurred over that period (hint the trends are worse than they first appear). Can a lower priced entry point help with any of that? I have no idea, we'll find out soon.

GHG

Gold Member

tenor.gif

Good guy Microsoft trying to ensure the whole market is in a better place. Got to make sure Sony and Nintendo are ok as well. Nintendo decided to go their own way and find their own niche - that's somehow bad even though they are laughing all the way to the bank. Good guy Microsoft with the humanitarian console to ensure everyone can afford next gen, come and get your cheap "next gen" console on finance, never buy any games. Can't even afford next gen? That's ok too, we will still be making games scale down to last gen as well. It's all about market growth right guys, it's so stagnant right now right? Who cares about us having some nice big juicy advancements for next gen, it's just not important right now, too risky. Sony aren't doing anything, Nintendo are exiled to the land of handhelds, it's now up to Microsoft to save the whole industry with the Xbox Series S.

Anyone who doesn't see this is just a bad person and too selfish to understand, they must be meme-making fanboys caught up in device competition.

You wasting your time explaining these folks. They see things which fits their agenda and run with it lol

Get on twitter then and tell the devs that aren't too fond of the Series S that they are wrong then. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I too love people carrying water for the anemic S all while months lamenting “9.2 to 10.3 is weak sauce for next gen”.
I have no issues with 9tf-10tf just the variable clocks and clocking it to the moon to reach a marketing number of 10tf.

The market grew the wii generation lol by a lot home consoles. Only the ps2 well the rest hardly did 80 million combined. The HD twins 90 million each and 100 million for the wii basically 300 million. This generation be a struggle for Sony to carry it to 200 million. Losing 1/3 of the market is huge and needs to be addressed. If anything Microsoft is attempting to grow the market and bring in new customers.

vdopey

So this is my final take:

Xbox Series X Xbox Series SDifference% Decrease
CPU3.6Ghz SMT on3.4Ghz smt on200Mhz less5.56%
GPU52 CUs @ 1.825Ghz20Cus @ 1.565Ghz32 Cus less & 260 Mhz less61.54 % Cu @ 14.25% Frequency
GPU TF 12.12548.125 TF67.01%
RAM Pool 1 10 GB @ 560GB/s8 GB @ 224 GB/s2 GB & 336 GB/s Slower20 % @ 60% Frequency
RAM Pool 2 6 GB @ 336 GB/s2GB @ 56 GB/s4 GB & 280 GB/s slower66.67% @ 83.33% Frequency
SSD Storage (base10)1000 GB500 GB500 GB less50%
4K UHD BR10No Bluray100%
Price$500$300$20040% prices Decrease

So for 40% less price you get no uhd blu ray a gimped gpu (67% worse), slightly slower cpu, less RAM @ massively reduced bandwidth & half the ssd storage.

It is a terrible deal / terrible value, they should be pricing this thing at $199, bang per buck its a Joke look at the numbers and some are just purely looking at the price and think its great value, its not great value at all, its awful value.

Blue Spring

There are actually some really negative long-term trends in the industry right now. I doubt you'd find many that think stagnation is okay, especially given the population increase that has occurred over that period (hint the trends are worse than they first appear). Can a lower priced entry point help with any of that? I have no idea, we'll find out soon.
What exact trends are talking about?
If those long-term trends are negative for consumers like a subsription based gaming future, stagnation should be preferable.

Blue Spring

If anything Microsoft is attempting to grow the market and bring in new customers.
How? A cheaper SKU will grow the whole market? I dont think its that simple. The Xbone reached very low prices. You think people run out to buy it?
The Gamecube was cheap as fuck back in the day. People did not jump on it either.

As long you do not price yourself out of range like Sony did with the PS3 and the $600 price point it will not matter that much.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So this is my final take:

Xbox Series XXbox Series SDifference% Decrease
CPU3.6Ghz SMT on3.4Ghz smt on200Mhz less5.56%
GPU52 CUs @ 1.825Ghz20Cus @ 1.565Ghz32 Cus less & 260 Mhz less61.54 % Cu @ 14.25% Frequency
GPU TF12.12548.125 TF67.01%
RAM Pool 110 GB @ 560GB/s8 GB @ 224 GB/s2 GB & 336 GB/s Slower20 % @ 60% Frequency
RAM Pool 26 GB @ 336 GB/s2GB @ 56 GB/s4 GB & 280 GB/s slower66.67% @ 83.33% Frequency
SSD Storage (base10)1000 GB500 GB500 GB less50%
4K UHD BR10No Bluray100%
Price$500$300$20040% prices Decrease

So for 40% less price you get no uhd blu ray a gimped gpu (67% worse), slightly slower cpu, less RAM @ massively reduced bandwidth & half the ssd storage.

It is a terrible deal / terrible value, they should be pricing this thing at $199, bang per buck its a Joke look at the numbers and some are just purely looking at the price and think its great value, its not great value at all, its awful value.
Did you post a chart like this when the ps4 pro was only a 100 dollars less than the one x with 50% less gpu, ram, bandwidth and no 4k blue ray player plus real cooling system lol?

You guys are salty today this won't have a single effect on the PS5 lol. Those 3rd party games will run on worse boxes on steam.

How? A cheaper SKU will grow the whole market? I dont think its that simple. The Xbone reached very low prices. You think people run out to buy it?
The Gamecube was cheap as fuck back in the day. People did not jump on it either.

As long you do not price yourself out of range like Sony did with the PS3 and the $600 price point it will not matter that much.
Gamepass plus a low entry point to a generation is all new territory. The series s sells for what the ps4 does ffs. That is value to a lot of people around the world. Add in gamepass for a family and this could be something. Beats trying the same things over and over that don't work versus Sony. Nintendo tried until they gave up. I assume Microsoft try something different before shutting it down and a Sony monopoly. I know you will love that Sony seal of approval from good ole California on content lol.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I have no issues with 9tf-10tf just the variable clocks and clocking it to the moon to reach a marketing number of 10tf.

The market grew the wii generation lol by a lot home consoles. Only the ps2 well the rest hardly did 80 million combined. The HD twins 90 million each and 100 million for the wii basically 300 million. This generation be a struggle for Sony to carry it to 200 million. Losing 1/3 of the market is huge and needs to be addressed. If anything Microsoft is attempting to grow the market and bring in new customers.
giphy.gif

vdopey

Did you post a chart like this when the ps4 pro was only a 100 dollars less than the one x with 50% less gpu, ram, bandwidth and no 4k blue ray player plus real cooling system lol?

You guys are salty today this won't have a single effect on the PS5 lol. Those 3rd party games will run on worse boxes on steam.

What does this have to do with ps4 pro ?? I mean do you not have any reasoning skills ? This is purely a comparison between 2 skus releasing at the same time by 1 manufacturer, this is not a MS vs Sony difference, no one else that I know of has ever released 2 vastly different skus at the same time, but you be you and make this about last gen and completely ignore the numbers ...

Jon Neu

Banned

The Xbox One was a heavily underpowered machine that was also super overpriced.

The Series S is, for it's intented target, a super well equiped machine with a ridiculously low price. Also doesn't force people to buy a 4K TV.

NickFire

I wouldn't be surprised if most talkative 3rd party devs are just feigning concern as a favor to MS, knowing full well they will just target the S and upscale from there.

Blue Spring

Gamepass plus a low entry point to a generation is all new territory. The series s sells for what the ps4 does ffs. That is value to a lot of people around the world. Add in gamepass for a family and this could be something. Beats trying the same things over and over that don't work versus Sony. Nintendo tried until they gave up. I assume Microsoft try something different before shutting it down and a Sony monopoly. I know you will love that Sony seal of approval from good ole California on content lol.
Why do you think the PS4 is still selling at $300? Its not exactly a low price for a console released in 2013.

They might have some hope to get a little more marketshare but they really already gave up trying to beat Sony years ago. Thats why all their games are on PC. Thats why they push gamepass. I bet you will see more ads for gamepass than their consoles. Just like you see more ads for gamepass instead of the games they release. How will that impact their console sales? Are you still sure they are tying to grow the console market?

Keihart

Just don't buy an xbox and things will solve themselves probably.
It's like xbox it's doing everything possible to make consoles obsolete while keeping people in their ecosystem, it's almost like it, they are just shy of announcing it as an official statement. Why in the world would you want consumers buying a weaker box while releasing a more powerful one while already having similarly priced one on the market?

Sucks for third party games honestly.

DaGwaphics

What exact trends are talking about?
If those long-term trends are negative for consumers like a subsription based gaming future, stagnation should be preferable.

There are many, a lower percentage of users compared to population for one (lower overall interest). Lower youth (tween/teen) engagement for another, not to say there isn't a lot of support here still but not at the levels of the past (this is important because these are your future buyers once attrition starts to erase the PS1 gamers). Gaming has been aging up for quite some time, and that is absolutely fine, but aging out has to be a concern. And so on.

GHG

Gold Member
All those salty SonyGAF developers.

Bryank75 Bryank75 is David Mickner

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem is Billy Khan

thelastword thelastword is Sasan Sepehr

geordiemp geordiemp is Dan Weiss

Do you want to tweet on behalf of John Carmack and I'll get some stufff out there on behalf of Tim Sweeney?

There's too much positivity out there about this console, some devs are throwing themselves at it and it doesn't make any sense. I think we need to deal with this head on and balance the scales.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Why do you think the PS4 is still selling at $300? Its not exactly a low price for a console released in 2013.

They might have some hope to get a little more marketshare but they really already gave up trying to beat Sony years ago. Thats why all their games are on PC. Thats why they push gamepass. I bet you will see more ads for gamepass than their consoles. Just like you see more ads for gamepass instead of the games they release. How will that impact their console sales? Are you still sure they are tying to grow the console market?
Maybe because Sony says they do lol.

The PlayStation®4 system now starting at $299.99 MSRP

All those salty SonyGAF developers.
If they are so concerned put thier money where mouth is tell thier boss only PS5 development or we quit. If they can't hack it like the indy guys on series x I get it people get burned out. Good thing they were not around for the nes days or god help them Atari days.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Bryank75 Bryank75 is David Mickner

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem is Billy Khan

thelastword thelastword is Sasan Sepehr

geordiemp geordiemp is Dan Weiss

Do you want to tweet on behalf of John Carmack and I'll get some stufff out there on behalf of Tim Sweeney?

There's too much positivity out there about this console, some devs are throwing themselves at it and it doesn't make any sense. I think we need to deal with this head on and balance the scales.

I’ll take the Carmack Daddy!

vpance

Just don't buy an xbox and things will solve themselves probably.
It's like xbox it's doing everything possible to make consoles obsolete while keeping people in their ecosystem, it's almost like it, they are just shy of announcing it as an official statement. Why in the world would you want consumers buying a weaker box while releasing a more powerful one while already having similarly priced one on the market?

Sucks for third party games honestly.

Wouldn't worry about it. The "tard pack" effect is gonna be strong on this, just wait. The biggest praise for it is actually on sites like here and Ree.

Last edited:

Blue Spring

There are many, a lower percentage of users compared to population for one (lower overall interest). Lower youth (tween/teen) engagement for another, not to say there isn't a lot of support here still but not at the levels of the past (this is important because these are your future buyers once attrition starts to erase the PS1 gamers). Gaming has been aging up for quite some time, and that is absolutely fine, but aging out has to be a concern. And so on.
What are you afraid of? That console gaming will collapse or that kids growing up on smarphones will not move "up" to consoles?
Journalists proclaimed the death of consoles for a decade, yet its still there. I have no concern about the console business.

Top Bottom